/PRG/ precision rifle general / Sniper rifle general

Didn't see one in the catalog, so here's a thread about sniper rifles.

I wanted to have a thread around to ask some questions about game wardens and shooting on public lands just for target shooting.

Attached: whitetail-5-2.jpg (867x1299, 662K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cheaperthandirt.com/product/burris-savage-short-action-xtreme-tactical-1-piece-base-25-moa-steel-matte-black-000381106513.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=202554
discord.gg/j8PThuy
ontargetshooting.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=kSbtwSS16Qg
jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi
shooterready.com/lrsdemo.html
scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5539-diy/13433967-d-i-y-data-books
youtube.com/watch?v=8rLfYLM48Ms
youtube.com/watch?v=TVF2pdHbX1M
youtube.com/watch?v=pwG-D0HjCBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=pwG-D0HjCBQ&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn
millettsights.com/resources/shooting-tips/mathematics-for-precision-shooters/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S4g3GGWc_ZrLoRyxGRso5bMPRpHaAmyxvtIVj_INddI/edit?usp=sharing
precisionrifleblog.com/
precisionrifleblog.com/2014/09/19/tactical-scopes-field-test-results-summary/
amazon.com/dp/B01DS38XM2/
sniperforums.com/forum/off-topic/44655-gale-mcmillian-barrel-break.html
sniperforums.com/forum/rifles/16385-do-you-break-rifles-come-accuracy-garauntee.html
bisonballistics.com/point_mass_calculations/new
soldiersystems.net/2019/03/12/ussocom-selects-barrett-firearms-manufacturing-mrad-as-new-advanced-sniper-rifle/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have a Milet TRS-1 mounted on my Savage model 10 .308. With the elevation dial cranked all the way up, I can only get a 300m zero. I feel like I should be able to adjust the optic more than just that. Does anyone have any solutions or can identify the possible problem?

What do you mean only 300m zero? Are you aiming the gun at the dirt 3 feet in front of you while you are zeroing? Are you using subsonic ammo?

I assume you're mount has no offset, Whats your scopes max elevation? I'f you're maxing out, A solution would be something like this:
cheaperthandirt.com/product/burris-savage-short-action-xtreme-tactical-1-piece-base-25-moa-steel-matte-black-000381106513.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=202554

bump

Attached: 308 175g QR Chart.jpg (800x438, 67K)

i got one of those
much better with a 10 rd mag, also the bolt is a little jiggly but eh pretty good in 6.5 creedmore

Attached: bolt n truck.png (745x989, 1.42M)

How does the Steiner P4Xi glass and build quality compare to the Vortex Viper PST Gen II offerings?

In particular considering the P4Xi 4-16x56 and the Viper 3-15x44

Also anyone here have any experience with Faxon match barrels? I'm interested in how they can group with factory ammo.

Attached: 37265713_10214879607076589_8180705413637865472_n.jpg (2369x1345, 1.36M)

No. Get the fuck out now.
We don't want you /arg/ and /akg/ doesn't want you either.

made a discord for you guys, use it if you want or not, just thought it would be cool to have

discord.gg/j8PThuy

BROTHER
Cut up some garden hose or use some kind of bushing on those d-rings to keep them from hanging so crooked. Also don't fucking use those for a recovery point, they're not for that, you'll tear your shit off

Attached: IMG_20190302_181559044_HDR.jpg (4032x3024, 2.6M)

Day of the red flag when?

Attached: B10 Red Flag.png (779x780, 926K)

Turn your trip off and I might help you

I have experience with fucking your mother.

If you people value the quality of your general you need to either completely ignore WGWS or bully him until he leaves. Learn from the mistakes of /arg/ and /akg/, he will shit up your threads and trolls will follow to shitpost at him. Save yourselves.

Attached: wgws.png (637x413, 416K)

>either completely ignore WGWS or bully him until he leaves
Both have happened in the past. Probably one of the reasons that these died for a good bit.

Is there a pastebin for this general?

>trolls will follow to shitpost at him
Too late, we're already here.

Attached: wuggy admits he fucked up.png (2827x354, 430K)

bump

Attached: 300-Win-Mag-vs-300-Norma-Mag-vs-338-Lapua-Mag.jpg (871x651, 148K)

Is 338 Lapua the preferred cartridge to use when something needs to die waaay the fuck over there, or is 300 win mag a sufficient choice? I've been tossing around the idea of building a custom rem 700 for 1000+ yard precision shooting with some oomf behind it.

Reloading bump, also does anyone have any experience with a .243 AI? A 6mmBR article claims that you can get a moly coated 115gr dtac to 3100ish fps in a regular 243, I have doubts. But the AI should have no problem doing that which would run circles around the 6.5cm with less recoil. So anybody running a 243 or the AI?

Attached: 20190425_192130.jpg (3264x1836, 1.25M)

why hasn't he been perma'd yet? I can't think of a more toxic and widespread tripfag.

They are both pretty good. longrangehunting or some forum named like that would be able to provide you with more personal anecdotes I just like the picture and wanted to bump the thread.
USSOCOM just ordered Barrett's in 338 Norma Mag, 300 NM and 7.62 NATO cartridges. So there is that I'm guessing you might be asking about elk or something though.

Attached: 6.5-Grendel-vs-6.8-SPC-Cutaway-223x300.jpg (223x300, 23K)

7 mag is better than 300 mag, and 28 nosler will get you better preformance than 7 mag and no belted cases. Less common ammo though, but since your considering 338 that shouldn't be as much of an issue.

Attached: image1 (10) - Copy.jpg (1632x1224, 678K)

Unfortunately being a smug, lying, brain damaged moron isn't a bannable offense yet. At least /akg/ bullied him away by constantly making fun of his bottom of the barrel AK abortions, I'd suggest you guys do the same.

Attached: wuggys abortion.png (756x515, 899K)

>lefty
Hawt, caliber?

Can I ask my stupid questions about what bolt action rifle I wanna get for hunting and what scope I wanna put on it in here too?

I just blew $300 on an ACI and mount. Tell me I’m not retarded.

Attached: A1564C37-E8BE-4901-A984-D4FF5153F7EE.jpg (2048x1536, 645K)

If you're going 300wm, you better handload and you're going to have to build with specific bullets in mind to get peak performance right now. 7RM is the same way but you can get closer to lapua range (better than factory offerings that I know of though) if done correctly for right now.
I wouldnt even consider the belted mags if you didnt want to handload desu.

Attached: remington 700.jpg (862x1124, 205K)

do it but be specific on the ranges, calibers, and models you're interested in. Ill answer if I'm not asleep by then or in the morning

By aci you mean the angle indicator?

also do you handload and know how to work a ballistic calculator?

posting that shitty 2.5 MOA anime DMR you sold, LOL

This is my current precision and hunting rifle for shits and giggles.

Attached: Remington M40A1.jpg (1500x993, 684K)

I live in upstate NY so hunting is probably gonna be within 100 meters and the longest rifle range around here goes out to 300 iirc. I was thinking about getting it in either .308 or 7mm-08. The guns I've been looking at are the Howa 1500, Tikka T3X, and Bergara B14. I was thinking of either putting a leupold vx-3i 2.5-8x36 or maybe a 2-7 but I'm not sure what specific one yet.

also no, I don't yet. I might try and get into it soon though.

Posting a bunch of links from one of the last times this thread came up

Links for /PSG/

Group calc program.
> ontargetshooting.com/

Quick video brief with exercises on MIL ranging with practical exercises.
> youtube.com/watch?v=kSbtwSS16Qg

Ballistic calc and chart.
> jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

Turret/ milling/ basic windage/ basic drop/ Practice.
> shooterready.com/lrsdemo.html

Data books.
> scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5539-diy/13433967-d-i-y-data-books

Basic forum work.
> youtube.com/watch?v=8rLfYLM48Ms

Glass basics.
> youtube.com/watch?v=TVF2pdHbX1M

Some guy that thinks he is a Dinosaur, Sawry.
Sniper 101 link for the lazy crowd.
> youtube.com/watch?v=pwG-D0HjCBQ
Playlist.
> youtube.com/watch?v=pwG-D0HjCBQ&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn

Math suggestions to get you on target.
> millettsights.com/resources/shooting-tips/mathematics-for-precision-shooters/

Blank dope book.
> docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S4g3GGWc_ZrLoRyxGRso5bMPRpHaAmyxvtIVj_INddI/edit?usp=sharing

Pathsofglory likes this page & fuck you if you don't.
> precisionrifleblog.com/
Optics Review.
> precisionrifleblog.com/2014/09/19/tactical-scopes-field-test-results-summary/

Baby's first lazer range finder.
> amazon.com/dp/B01DS38XM2/

Am I going to break in & out shoot my barrel? No user, you probably aren't.
1st post.
> sniperforums.com/forum/off-topic/44655-gale-mcmillian-barrel-break.html
5th post
> sniperforums.com/forum/rifles/16385-do-you-break-rifles-come-accuracy-garauntee.html

A American Hamburgers ballistics calculators.
> bisonballistics.com/point_mass_calculations/new

I wonder what made them choose 338 NM over 338 LM. Maybe they also want that new 338 NM SL MAG. Either way, fantastic rifle.

Attached: IMG_0074.jpg (2033x983, 352K)

Yes. Pic related.

Attached: 39A93A0F-6F8C-4861-BC52-D1B5165C2FFC.jpg (1260x840, 355K)

I'm looking at 308 semi options
So far in the running I have
>OBR
>Scar20s
>MR762
>LMT MWS
Any others worth looking at?

JP LRP-07 is a really high quality semi-custom precision AR-10.

Very nice sir.
If it is still the same reason while I was in it is for re-barreling to a large round while keeping the same action.
Here is the article I was referencing.
soldiersystems.net/2019/03/12/ussocom-selects-barrett-firearms-manufacturing-mrad-as-new-advanced-sniper-rifle/
You do you mate. That math gets annoying so I always aim low.

Georgia Precision(GAP-10) is up there also.

Thanks m8. I got a heavy 17" .308 barrel for it but I'm still waiting for a breach conversion kit so I can actually shoot it. Pretty excited, it'll a an overall length of 29" with the stock folded, pretty good for the range it can reach out to.

So many good companies make excellent one piece mounts for the 400, that contraption just seems silly.

Attached: 1556250491632.jpg (1936x1089, 235K)

The gap10 appears to be a seekins ar10 with a nice barrel, am I missing anything here?
Thanks

It is so real.
>am I missing anything here?
Probably not just tossing names out.

Attached: 0Tz5PPdXfdZ0wzdvb4RPmd3OHLm0KAcv17_2yVYQjzk.jpg (1024x683, 81K)

More OAL for LONGBOIS

this is the real reason, barrel life is 2nd

Can we post groups here?
5 shots at 100 meters, Tikka T3X in .308, factory 168gr match ammo. Middle ring is exactly 2.5cm wide.

The vertical stringing is entirely my fault though, the gun is easily 1/4 MOA capable, without handloads.

Attached: IMG_20190421_103350.jpg (1000x969, 264K)

bonus booli privilege for first SCAR 20 in /brg/ is still up for grabs

To 1000 yards.. .300wm will do more than it's fair share.... If you go past 1400, get the Lapua , mind you the cost of ammo at least doubles.

I have a p4xi. The build quality and glass makes the vortex look like Chinese junk. Magnification ring is alittle stiff and the adjustment clicks are alittle mushy, but that's about all there is to say negative about it.

Very nice!

Here is one of mine at 200 yards.

Attached: 200_yard_grouping.jpg (886x886, 111K)

>hunting is probably gonna be within 100 meters and the longest rifle range around here goes out to 300 iirc
You definitely dont NEED a precision rifle for those ranges but it sounds like you want to get the most out of a nice hunting rifle
>I was thinking about getting it in either .308 or 7mm-08
Either would be a good choice desu. Im not sure what load offerings 7-08 has but if handloading it will have some great range ability. Both have been used to take game the size of elk.
>The guns I've been looking at are the Howa 1500, Tikka T3X, and Bergara B14
All decent choices desu. A quick google search makes it sound like the howa has just a hair longer internal box mag (not the dbm) than the other two with tikka being the shortest but you should double check. Also, for 308, howa has 1:12, tikka 1:11, b14 1:10 and Id be tempted to go for the fastest twist rate because Id probably want to load it with a 178gr eldx for hunting and berger is telling me that takes a 1:10 for stability all the way down to sea level. The others will do fine for most lighter bullets but check out berger's stability calculator, it's helpful.
Id go b14 just in case I ever got the oppurtunity to hunt further but you may not feel the same need. Maybe see what savage has to offer too.
>I was thinking of either putting a leupold vx-3i 2.5-8x36 or maybe a 2-7 but I'm not sure what specific one yet.
Optic is tricky because I know you said youll be doing 300m tops. Id be tempted to buy an swfa fixed 8x up to a 12x for the ranging type reticle and reliable tracking to make use of your gun's range and Ive personally gotten to try them up close and could still make a ~10 yard shot with one but it will be slower to use and I know youd probably be better served for hunting with what you mentioned.

I put way too many words into that. I should have asked if you were asking here because you wanted something that leaned more toward a long range rifle or just something quality for your purposes.

If the former, theyre all good options but the b14 is probably the best choice and the optic definitely being wrong. If the latter, youre all good and pick what you like for a pretty nice set up.

bump

bump

fucking gorgeous man, I'm miring hard. Must be heavy as hell for hunting though.

Is that fron texas brigade armory?

Thanks anons. The lapua sounds really cool but it probably makes more sense to go with 300 wm for me. I'll keep doing more research before I make a solid decision though. I am currently set up to reload 40S&W, 44 mag, 223, 300 blk and 308 so it won't be a big deal to start loading a new caliber.

I mostly just wanted something that was quality. If I was gonna try and build a long range rifle I'd probably try and do something with my savage model 10 w/ a heavy barrel.

>nobody knows I'm shooting a 50 year old action

Attached: 20171223_120343.jpg (4032x2788, 2.9M)

What year did Remington 700s take a dive in quality?

>Tikka T3X
2005 and on i believe. when ever they were purchased by (((The freedom group)))

didnt mean to green text that

fuck off nigger

>put massive straight taper on my 700
>fucking gun is like 12lbs unloaded now
>too much work to take it back off and contour it
can I stop being dyel just from carrying my rifle enough?

12 pounds is really not that bad. That being said, why would you put such a heavy taper on a rifle you planned on carrying much at all

he doesnt even own a precision rifle, he sold that 2.5 MOA animu DMR because it was a piece of shit.

No total custom build

Attached: Grandfather and Grandson.jpg (2256x4426, 1.69M)

Shat on this lil horse from about 200 yards this afternoon. Fat and relatively young - should be some chingón eating.

Attached: 476C94E9-B9E8-4604-9D60-42852E48B82B.jpg (4032x3024, 3.61M)

a combination of being too lazy to contour it and thinking I was making a bench rest gun before deciding I wanted a tacticool sniper rifle

12 lbs isn't that bad. My current precision hunting rifle is probably around 14-15 lbs.

Attached: 200 yard quarter shot.jpg (1500x993, 337K)

bump

Anyone here have a rem 5R? What kind of accuracy do you get with FGMM (or other match ammo)?

Looks so peaceful ;o;

bumper

I'm getting my hunting license sometime this summer and I was wondering what the best cheap allround rifle is? I'm going to hunt a lot of game around the size of deer and moose.

Probably a ruger american in 765/7mm whateverthefuck

Attached: rugeramerican.jpg (1400x425, 80K)

i read that the tikka only lasts to 2500 rounds in 6.5 mememoore, is that just par for the course for the caliber? are there other manufactures that last longer? 2500 seems awfully low.

If youre okay with single feeding, you could push that out further

Damn it my Aero lpk hammer for my 308 build is so much fucking bigger than the LaRue MBT I purchased to put in it. Will it be a problem?

what scope for 338 memepua that I can grow with until I can do 1000 yard shots but won't need to replace/repair

all the fudd forums point to nightforce but the tacticool forums get triggered and defend their vortexes and primary arms scopes

you should consider getting something cheaper to train with

Schmidt and Bender PMII or US Optics B-25. Kahles and Steiner also have some acceptable options.

swfa fixed 10 or the 4-14 primary arms

I hate how little selection there is for budget (less than $500) left handed bolt guns, recc me some decent options in that price range anyone?

Attached: .308 Winchester, 168-grain BTHP Match.png (434x482, 33K)

Vortex razers are alright. Just don't get the lower teir vortex's, they're trash. They aren't going to be as good as top dollar stuff but it'll definitely be good enough for learning

My Diamondback Tactical 4-16 is pretty good would recommend.

I want a precision rifle in 6.5 creedmore. what should i get?

What's your budget? Is that budget with or without glass? What's your skill level?

$2,000 with glass. novice

tactical forums defend vortex because of the vet discount and lifetime warranty. if you're not getting the discount look at Kahler scopes, but if you are a vet you get 40% off

Bergara b14 HMR. No other rifle on the market right now with it's value except maybe the RPR, but I wouldn't bet on Ruger QA for a precision rifle.

i suppose glass could push me over $2,000 if i use it for a while across multiple rifles

26'' right? i want to shoot loooong distances

24" I believe. Barrel length isn't the ultimate deciding factor on the distance you'll shoot, it's mostly caliber dependent unless you're a bench rest shooter with some autistic fucking 36" barrel. And honestly Todd Hodnett said they've had more repeatable results regarding tight groups with shorter barrels due to their stiffer nature. IF you want to shoot Extreme Long Range, look into a .300 Winmag or .338 Lapua if you're talking consistency at a mile or plus. But if you're a novice you the b14 in 6.5 will last you longer than it's barrel will last, and be much more pleasant to shoot in the meantime.