Nugget

I want a beater surp rifle that I can blast through ammo with, hunt, etc and just have fun without too much regard for preserving it. Just wipe it down and put it in the safe. Maybe hunt durr at 50 yards and Ive wanted a mosin for a while now (Long time DayZ player...)

What should I look for in one while inspecting them at stores? I’m not looking for a collectors piece, but don’t want one that’s fucked up either. Also where do I get non corrosive ammo at a decent price?

Attached: BE4877C9-0918-485F-A127-BDD6199819F9.jpg (280x123, 8K)

Just get a ~$300 modern rifle on the wall at any of your popular sporting goods stores. Cheaper ammo, scope ready, lighter, etc.

>long time DayZ player
Nigger the mosin is relatively new to DayZ and iirc it wasnt even in Arma 2.
Also DayZ is ass now.

I don’t want a scoped gun, and a mosin has been calling to me for a while now. I don’t mind paying ~$350 for one like they’re charging for at my LGS

I'd recommended it if Milsurp interests you at all. My first gun was a M44, got me into collecting. If you just like shooting modern guns, save up for an AR or buy a pistol.

>he thinks he'll be hunting deer with an optic free shit stick
Haha what

You're going to get a fucked war production with stamps done by the geriatrics 99% of the time unless you browse Armslist/Gunbroker daily.

>he can't hunt without glass or a precision rifle
Not gonna make it

I don't even know how to respond to this.

Some mosins have real issues, like being locked up after being fired (and needing a mallet to open it), having a really poor accuracy or shooting completely off target... and you might encounter those especially since you're wanting to buy a cheap one. If you're going to buy non corrosive 7,62x54r you're loosing the cheap aspect of this ammo and you should then rather turn yourself toward surplus .308 (which is generally non corrosive btw).
>yes but I'm a dayz player
Then you should know that recently the winchester 70 in .308 was added and that it performs just as good if not better than a Mosin.
Follow advice and go for a cheap rifle chambered in .308 with iron sights and wooden furniture than going for a Mosin. It'll serve you better.

People who attempt to make the idea of hunting with an optic sound bad are inherently dumber than the prerogative they're trying to force, and what's similarly stupid is relying on infamous Mosin accuracy with its equally infamous iron sights.
If you want something you can "blast through ammo, hunt deer with, etc." then get a serious rifle that weighs half as much, has twice the accuracy, eats up twice as cheap ammo, with the same price tag. It's weird how you fail to see the ironic red flag of saying you wanna "blast through ammo" while also asking where to get some reasonably priced in the same breath.

>i want a beater rifle for cheap to shoot all day with
Okay how about
>I want milsurp
user I....

If you are going to treat/ use it like a garbage rod just find the cheapest one you can, no need to abuse a decent nugget

Don't bother with a nugget, get a modern rifle.

OP here

Are there any chrome lined cheap surplus rifles that could fit the same niche? My only requirement is that a good shooter can hit a 12” plate at 100 yards and that ammo isn’t prohibitively rare/expensive ($1 a round is fine)

What happened to being a die hard mosin fanboy? Now, just any surplus will do?

An SKS

I’m not die hard, the mosin is just easily the most appealing to me. I’m fairly open minded on this though.

Just buy a Mosin if it's what you want. Asking for advice on Jow Forums is never a good idea. You'll have fun with it and it will kill a deer just fine; it's not like getting within 50yrds of one is that hard.

>doesn't hunt in swamps filled with shitty saplings
The M44 is perfect for environments like that and I can stick one of those fucking deer with the bayonet if it comes to it.
>chrome lined
You just eliminated 95% of military surplus right there. Chrome lining the bore wasn't really common practice until the late 50s-early 60s. Like said, a SKS would be your best bet, specifically Russian or Chinese as they both use chrome lined bores, Yugos do not. That and you can get a box of 20 7.62x39 for $4 nowadays. However, a Chinese SKS will cost you about $400-$500 these days with a Russian being $500-$600. Mosins are still fine guns to own and shoot but don't expect to put 1000s upon 1000s of rounds through it and have it still be a good shooter, especially when no one makes new barrels for them on a large scale. The 7.62x54R might be more expensive than the 7.62x39, but your average M91/30 refurbed after WW2 will cost $250-$350 so go with what appeals to you more. If you need a buyer's guide to mosins, hit up 7.62x54r.net

Do this. In CA mosins can be bought for $200 aswell. New ammo is about $.20 USD each while 7.62x54r is about $.50

>I want a beater surp rifle that I can blast through ammo with, hunt, etc and just have fun without too much regard for preserving it. Just wipe it down and put it in the safe. Maybe hunt durr at 50 yards and Ive wanted a mosin for a while now (Long time DayZ player...)
Sorry, you missed the boat on that. yes, the Mosin was inexpensive ten years ago, but at this point milsurp prices have risen to the point where they're an extremely poor choice for someone who's just looking for a cheap blaster. If that's what you want, you're far better off buying a Maverick 88 shotgun, which will be $100 cheaper than a Mosin, with cheaper, more widely-available ammo and an excellent warranty.

Really, seriously, the "muh cheep nugget" meme is long expired, and at this point buying one just to have a low-end beater would be a waste of money. If you really want a Mosin, then get a nice one and own it as a collector, don't make a beater out of it. And if you want a beater gun, just get a Maverick 88.

>$350
Holy shit I'm glad I got mine back when they were cheap

>In CA mosins can be bought for $200 aswell.
No they can't. I mean, not reliably. Sure, you can always get a lucky deal at a gun show or on Gunbroker, but the going price has been $300-350 for years.

I think a lot of mosins are still sold in decent condition. My best advice would be to find one that is sporterized, and then add a stock on it later (ATI polymer or a chewed up surplus stock from eBay). As for ammo, the best one might be modern brass cased. It doesn't fuck up the gun as much, and the price on it helps you create a ration.

I'm in the same boat too. He just wants something he can be proud of, so fuck off.

>proud of a mosin
Is it bizarro Jow Forums day?

Attached: Fish Feel Nothing.jpg (2592x1944, 1.32M)

If we're still talking about a milsurp, the only other alternatives I can think of would be a Carcano or Spanish Mauser.

Just like the Arabs with their Jazel rifles, not everybody has the luxury of buying a new gun every 2 days, and going to Olive Garden for dinner.

2007 called. They want their oldmemes back.

It's like being proud of a craftsman push mower. Not even remotely compared to a Jezail
>can't post bonafied Jow Forums memes on Jow Forums anymore
I want election babies gone.

I'm still hoping for the day I can get a blueprint together for a Four Winds version of a Mauser. As in any idiot can put one together, and it will work like any conventional gun.

bought a mosin from a gun show a few months ago for 300$, it's in perfect condition, have put hundreds of rounds through it, it's a delight

can recommend it. mosins are renowned for being reliable and it's not just a myth. tho be careful ofc and inspect it closely before u buy, it's a wonder how much ppl can neglect and fuck up guns anyway

To you, it isn't. But sometimes beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I mean, why do you think a bunch of weaboos made an entire manga about it?

Attached: Ichiyon.(Upotte!!).full.1167154.jpg (2000x2500, 495K)

To no one it is. Stop fetishizing a goddamn bargain bin rifle with no redeemable qualities.

Oh, someone's upset. Did I hurt your feelings, little buddy?

Attached: 1554701473018.jpg (250x187, 6K)

>profanity means you're upset
Are you 7?