Freshly legal 18 year old boy

>freshly legal 18 year old boy
>want to buy my own gun
>only been to range twice in my life, once for a class, once to shoot for fun
>never owned my own gun
>neither has my family
>California so gun laws suck ass

help what do I buy and how to I not get cucked by the government. i literally know next to nothing about guns and i figure this is the best place to start for a number of reasons

Attached: ar15.jpg (2048x1536, 332K)

Other urls found in this thread:

oag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/genchar2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm in the same situation user, down to the California point, however I advise you do what I am doing, move out of California

god i want to so badly but my parents fell for the send your kids to college meme so they refuse to pay for out-of-state and they'd disown me if i dropped out

Asian too? It took some time, but yep, I am attending a private university in Texas. I'm not rich, but private universities are more sparing with financial aid

not asian. im some mix of retarded europeans. im at some local community college until i can transfer to a state university this spring.

none of my situation is helping me with the gun thing though. i don't know what to buy, what to look for, what licenses i need so the ATF doesnt shoot my dog, etc, etc.

>don't own a car
>cali made it illegal to take a gun anywhere without a car
>none of the ranges in sf even seem to rent guns
life is suffering, i will never get to own a .22 revolver and shoot it while making PEW PEW noises

You have to move out some time, but be patient, owning guns during college is not the best of ideas, as you may run into issues regarding storage, regardless of your state. Move out after graduating

>living in sf
you have it bad enough already

i moved out of california when i was 17...if you live somewhere a little more country like Fresno/Redding people are really nice and helpful with guns. since you're not 21 you should get a nice rifle and take care of it

to add to this, save up your money for something good in the meantime

i live an hour away from fresno in a little town with its own range. i hate cities and im okay with where i am now. any suggestions on that rifle?

>SF
oh i didn't realize it was that bad lol, im sure there ranges out in the east bay could BART to

buy one through private sale and shove it into a backpack

You can't buy any guns until you're 21 now, as of February.

oh nice. well it sounds like your just starting out and not trying to hunt so you should look into .22lr or .556/.223. most affordable and available, maybe go more towards .556/.223 if you think you'd want to eventually hunt coyotes or something

you've gotta be fucking kidding me

i wish we didn't elect gavin noose-som

Attached: 1445185160398.jpg (600x630, 22K)

if your family is cool they can buy it for you and gift it to you unless they closed that loophole. not sure

Newscum didn't pass that law though, Brown-Stain did. It just didn't get put into effect until February.

will it ever end in this shit state?

Attached: geriatric cunt.jpg (300x300, 17K)

talk to your old man and ask him to get a winchester model 70 for you. also stay away from /b/ and stop watching hentai/being a degenerate. california's already bad enough

>California thread?
Post area codes. I'm a 510 community college fag and always looking to help people get into firearms.

>>Gun Laws (if you want to follow them)
>Under 21 years?
You need a hunting license to buy a rifle or shotgun. No buying pistols but you can acquire them from your parents or grandparents as a gift, no other relatives.
>What do you need to buy a gun?
Just a firearms safety card which you acquire by going to any gun store and asking to take the test. It's $25 and a multiple choice 30 question exam on how not to shoot yourself.
If under 21 you need a hunting license.
>Assault Weapons!?
oag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/genchar2
Don't let the assault weapons ban intimidate you, there are many ways to cope with its strange classifications.

Attached: california_constitution.png (1280x640, 1.63M)

>510
>posts dodgers hat

So because California is fucked, you can't buy a gun at 18 unless you have a hunting license. So get one of those. Next you need to get the firearm safety certificate, usually $20 at your local gunshop. Then you need two forms of ID/proof of residence. With all that you can buy long guns. You local gun shop would be happy to walk you through everything you need to do in more specifics. What county are you in?

If you are interested in a particular firearm, then ask. I'll do my best to advise you on what model, where to buy, and how to remain within the law (if you care).

i haven't been on /b/ since 2016 and i've been keeping my degeneracy at an all-time low. my old man still thinks i'm a lazy fuck and wouldn't get me a gun if i gave him the money for it

559 here also community college fag.
>No buying pistols but you can acquire them from your parents or grandparents as a gift
see previous reply

Niqqer I just post the photo and help people out. I don't even know what sport that hat references.

count of kings, baby.
we have a gun shop/range walking distance from my house so that's not the issue. i just want to own a gun and not have the feds at my door

where can i get the hunting license?

>Loophole
Didn't know gifting your child your privately owned property was some sort of loophole. Keep up this cuckery and next thing you know buying two 12 once sodas instead of one 24 ounce to avoid the future high capacity calorie tax will be called a loophole too.

imagine living in the 559 and being opposed to gun ownership LOL...
t. am from fresno, own 9 guns, mom has ccw

>high capacity calorie tax
i know exactly what thread you came from. that one pissed me off too

its a baseball team you god damn mulignan. rival to the SF Giants, ever heard of them?

Now to not completely derail the thread figure out OP's situation. Answer these questions OP.
>Type of gun?
Rifle/shotgun/Pistol
>Help from family to buy gun
Yay/Nay
>Obey law
Yay/Nay
Very few people do and nobody gets caught but it's your life your choice.
>Budget
$____
>Any gun in particular?

>i know exactly what thread you came from. that one pissed me off too
Not sure what thread, just was thinking of an episode of Parks and Recreation

You can take the course online I believe, but you need to take the test in person. Around where I am they are offered at fire stations and other gov buildings. Just Google California hunting license and you should be able to find it. The other option, depending of your parents disposition towards firearms is to have one of the buy it and gift it to you. Yes this is legal as long as "no money changes hands" ie. Leave no trace. I really suggest getting a .22lr for you first gun purely for cost. At your age you don't have much money, so being able to buy 500 rounds of .22 for $20 is a big plus instead of 80 rounds of 5.56 for $20

I hear you can take the test in a few minutes at Big5

>Very few people do
i was actually surprised by this when a few months ago a range safety officer told me, guy he'd been chatting with for 5 minutes, that he had two guns with threaded barrels. was a bit surprised to be honest but at the end of the day it is dog shit legislation

>type
preferrably handgun, but california, so rifle is my best option
>help
probably not for a while. they still need convincing
>obey law
you really thought i would answer this one, fed?
>budget
under $1400. im poor
>particular
no. i don't know enough to pick one without sounding like a retard

pic related is what i thought you were referring to

Attached: high capacity plastic bottles.jpg (1189x959, 408K)

NOTES ON ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN
>>RIFLES
>Gun is not semi automatic if not assembled. This means it can't be an assault weapons if it isn't ready to fire
>Gun CAN have banned features if it has a fixed magazine. LOOK UP Juggernaut Tactical fixed mag and compmag.
>Gun CAN have a normal magazine release if it has no banned features. This means no pistol grip. SEARCH UP: grip fin, thordsden stock, hammerhead grip

>>SHOTGUN
>NO shotguns that are semi auto with detachable mag
>NO semi auto shotgun that has a pistol grip AND adjustable stock
>That is all

>>Pistol
>If it's an AR pistol you need a maglock
Protip don't fuck with AR pistols if you want to follow laws. DOJ is especially going after people for them. Don't do it or home build it
>No threaded barrel

Not he hunting license test. The firearm safety certificate is really quick and you can do it in a few minutes. The in person hunting license portion is like 4 hours has additional instruction, and includes a safe firearm handling portion. It seems like in Kings county most of the tests are held at Sportsman's Warehouse. They also tend to be helpful, if you go in when they aren't busy the gun guys will talk your ear off.

>grip fin
>tfw still waiting for Solartactical to tell me anything about my order status

Mentioned it the last time I was at my LGS and the guy that runs it said, "yeah, that's solartactical for you."

Just buy a 10/22 or a bolt action .22 for your first rifle. I already made that mistake so you don't need to. You're going to be spending a lot of ammo just getting comfortable with the basics, no need to waste money. Throw some glass on it and you've got a really fun gun to shoot.

>i literally know next to nothing about guns and i figure this is the best place to start
> i figure this is the best place to start
> this is the best place

Attached: came-here-to-laugh-at-you-29164878.png (500x400, 83K)

First you need to answer these questions:

What do you want it for? Do you just want to have fun with it on the range and learn how to shoot, do you want to get a concealed carry license in the future, do you want it for home defense, and / or do you want to hunt with it? These will change what type of gun you want to look at since different guns are better in different contexts.

If you just want to learn to shoot and have fun at the range I recommend getting a .22 pistol or rifle. The ammo is the cheapest so you can put more rounds down range, which is the only real way to learn, and the recoil is small so you won't develop bad flinching habits and can focus on everything else. Learning to handle recoil is nothing once you have your grip, stance, trigger control, and sight alignment all down. The choice between pistol and rifle is just down to which you're more interesting in learning how to shoot. Don't try to use this for self defense, it's not even about stopping power, because .22 is rimfire most weapons have serious reliability issues. It's no problem at all on the range but you don't want to deal with that shit when you absolutely need the gun to fire.

If you want a weapon for home defense, get a shotgun. You take it to the range a couple times to learn how to operate it and handle the recoil and leave it next to your bed.

If you want something that you can learn to shoot on but can also be used for home defense, get a full size 9 mm pistol. Ammo is more expensive and has more recoil than .22, but still less than other calibers and it's actually a large enough round to be useful in a self-defense situation.

If you want to carry as well get a compact or subcompact 9 mm pistol. Less comfortable to hold, more recoil, less capacity, but much more convenient to carry.

Before people start getting into caliber debates, the reason I'm recommending 9 mm is because it's cheap and low-recoil while still being a "real" caliber.

Handgun: look for an 80% Glock build kit. DO NOT REGISTER IT. The state has no way of knowing about it at all. Only way is if you notify them by trying to register. Use it for sporting purposes only and tuck it away when not in use. The state is going after people who try and register 80% guns.

Rifle: so many options desu. AR-15 really is the way to go due to aftermarket and modularity. No easy beginner way to build an 80% ar-15 so you'll want a hunting license to buy one at 18. Also it doesn't have to be an ar-15. Plenty of other rifles, I assume you want semi. If you want a real man's caliber go for a battle rifle. If you want something cheap and fun as fuck. Go for a Ruger 10/22 and maybe get the takedown model. 22lr ammo is cheap as fuck to. Gun is $200 and you can buy several years worth of ammo for $200.

Budget
$1400 is more than enough

>Fed
No but I like the pro activeness. Welcome to the communist hellhole of Kalifornia.

email me at [email protected] to contact me after this thread dies.

Also I forgot that black powder is an option. Not sure if you'll be into that but some people have fun with it. Especially with the giant smoke clouds they make.

ill probably look at the .22lr or the 9mm. home defense is big for me since we live on the street that divides the "good" neighborhood from the "bad" neighborhood but shotguns are out of my comfort zone until i shoot more.

"hello fellow kids, wow you a big grown up now aren't you. Let me advise you to break the law, here's my email!"

Cost of ammo is a big thing as time goes on. Look for costs using ammoseek. Cents per round or CPR is typically as follow

5.56x45 NATO (ar-15) 30cpr brass case
7.62x39 (ak) 25 CPR steel case
7.62x51 real fucking NATO 40 CPR
.22lr (fun pea shooter) 3 CPR

These are the big and popular semi auto rifle rounds. There are rifles that shoot handgun cartridges and in the case of an ar-15 you can modify it in a matter of seconds to shoot whatever cartridge you want (except for large full powered cartridges)

I would say fuck off but tbhq I would be cautious of the same thing. I can have various people vouch for me IRL but we aren't face to face are we. Information is legal though, even if it is on how to break petty laws.

Also I forgot to note that for rifle at least the assault weapons laws only apply to centerfire, not rimfire.

>>>/gofuckyourself/

Nah. I'm the guy he's replying to and he isn't wrong to be cautious. Shit over the internet can always be sketchy. Especially when some departments have nothing better to do than catfish and entrap.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (259x194, 8K)

>what licenses i need so the ATF doesnt shoot my dog, etc, etc.
The ATF deals with federal gun laws. All you need federally to own guns is to be a legal resident of the Country- not even a citizen.
California wise you need a firearm safety card and if you are under 21 you need a hunting license ONLY to get a gun through an FFL.

Possession of a gun or acquiring from parent or grandparents should be fine without hunting license.

Safety card is a 10 minute multiple choice test on how not to aim a gun at your head and pull the trigger.
Hunting requires you to take some 4 hour class I think and a test.

fucking nigger every fucking day its the same nigger thread about what to get just to be given nigger suggestions learn to be an independent nigger and think for yourself stupid nigger go into a gun store and teach yourself you fucking nigger

>>freshly legal 18 year old boy
>>want to buy my own gun
>>only been to range twice in my life, once for a class, once to shoot for fun
>>never owned my own gun
>>Walk into gun store and buy an AR 15 with all the extra baby killing accessories (pistol grip, collapsing stock, functioning mag release, barrel shroud, and muzzle device)
>>legally buy some 30 round mags
Such is life outside California

Attached: smug.jpg (320x307, 29K)

10/22
Appleseed
Return when you're in the 90th percentile of posters despite being c**lifornian

>help what do I buy
a greyhound ticket

Don't get anything in a pistol caliber, you won't be able to buy ammo for it until you're 21.