How efficient would 70s elite sof units be today?

How efficient would 70s elite sof units be today?

Attached: historichronicals_50476288_351098709072365_2785538547928539887_n.jpg (534x534, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

history.com/this-day-in-history/hostage-rescue-mission-ends-in-disaster
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Probably more efficient.

Depends what you mean by efficient. If you mean be able to perform on much less then yes, demonstrably. If you mean perform better or as effectively, then no, the gear of today is immeasurably better and the institutional knowledge is rock solid, because SOF of the 70s were simply stabbing in the dark and breaking new ground, todays SOF have 50 years of their predecessors mistakes to learn from.

They'd BTFO terrorists with their sheer aesthetics alone.

>How efficient would 70s elite sof units be today?
US special forces were a walking disaster in the 70s culminating in the Iran hostage fiasco under Carter, possibly the worst of any major power in the world and worse then they are today, the French were pretty woeful also. British, Russian, Israelis were on the other hand quite good and would probably be better than todays forces

140%

Attached: go-be-a-nigger-somewhere-else.jpg (723x356, 114K)

>US special forces were a walking disaster in the 70s
history.com/this-day-in-history/hostage-rescue-mission-ends-in-disaster

>Israeli
Stop thinking becuase they BTFO brain dead arabs they are on par with Western Special Forces. The IDF/IAF have huge disciplinary issues and shit/non standard equipment

Define efficient. At their job? As replacements for current SOF? In terms of effectiveness, they would probably be way worse. Modern SOF is succesfull because of the fuckhuge infrastructure that supports them, i.e. intelligence, materiel. logistics, etc. etc.

Andrew calm down, hes talking about Israeli SF from the 70s, when they had their series of successful high profile hostage rescues. Issues with the mainline IDF of 2019 are fundamentally irrelevant.

What are those issues with the modern IDF? I'm intrigued.

how different were training and tactics back then compared to today?

Imagine if a bunch of Vietnam era LRRPs, green berets, and frogmen stepped out of a Time Warp into the present time and were caught up to speed on current tech and war fighting tactics. If we were allowed to see it, I'm sure the helmet cam combat footage would be interesting to say the least.

The amount of drug abuse and massacres of civilians would get pretty epic too.

I feel like they'd BTFO any modern sof unit.
Those lads actually cut their teeth in actual wartime and were pretty much allowed to achieve success by any means necessary i.e. no rules or regulations to hold them down.

Might be a little too optimistic, but I just can't help but feel like the modern generation, although more equipped, just are completely green by comparison to the old school.

Attached: STEMMA_DEL_MACVSOG.jpg (172x244, 20K)

In what capacity? Guaranteed modern SOF have more range time and better physical conditioning than 60s-70s era equivalents, since such things are down to a well studied science nowadays. Did they have it harder with their then-experimental training regimes and lifestyle of living out of a can of beans? Sure, but did that make them better soldiers in a practical capacity? Doubt it.

Imagine those guys leading raids with ranger platoons. HVT kills and captures would probably go through the roof on top of the already highly successful ranger regiment. With the 75th's operational tempo and the old school spooky bois? Someone please make this a movie or book

>Guaranteed modern SOF have more range time and better physical conditioning than 60s-70s era equivalents, since such things are down to a well studied science nowadays
Here's a simpler way to look at it:
I can hire the greatest, most experienced boxing coaches in the world to train one athletic man.
They train him to the absolute peak, to the point where he masters the form, steps, sparring, heavy and speed bag time, etc.
However his steel has never been truly tested in the ring against an actual opponent who was raised on the streets, brawled his way to the top, and is hungry for victory.

There's a huge difference between hard as fuck men who can apply skills and make it in practice and those who are just pounded with knowledge and physical conditioning.
Think of it as a clash of common sense vs academic sense.

Like I said, maybe I'm just a little too optimistic... And a little buzzed too.

>spooks back then
only armed with a gun and training, deep behind enemy lines, surviving off the land, gets the mission done; token black guy dies

>spooks today
geared up to the teeth, has 24/7 drone and air support, drones do all the jobs save for hvt extraction, get blown the fuck out by farmers, pretends to be ultra hardcore when a chairforce guy did the killing, each member publishes a book about how they killed 300 bad guys, starts a "security" company and overcharging larpers, airsofters and bolice about your previous speshul forces experience

fpbp

I dont follow, you think modern SOF is untested? CAG, Rangers, SAS and SBS spent a solid 4 years (rotating within their units every 3-6 months) doing nightly sorties to kick down doors in Iraq under Task Force Knight, that's frankly a higher operational tempo than SF or SOG patrols ever did.

user, I'm fanboying.

Imagine Vinning in his prime but with all the modern stuff available to him

The way I figure, against another sof unit today, with modern gear? 70's guys get btfo. No question. Might even have a tough time against a small non sof modern, proper military unit with all the sattelite and air support these days

Against you're average third world warlord and his cadres? I think they could still roll over them pretty good. However it's never a guarantee. Delta got fucked in Niger.

Same result. Winning.

Attached: cVining.jpg (300x400, 22K)

Probably he'd have a lot less medals. When CAS and drones do all the killing and scouting there's less glory allowed to the guys in the mud.

I think they still teach them to live off the land, and navigate with a map and compass, all that shit.

They absolutely have a lot more crutches these days though

gear is better but tactics only change for the situation. There is only so many ways to make a wheel.

The major difference, I think, is how much they could get away with back then. Modern day sf end up in court just for putting some dying bastard out of his misery, in Vietnam they massacred villages and burned them to the ground. My Lai was one of the fee that had any publicity, and that was army inf guys.

I can't tell you how much this disturbs me every time.

My dad looked exactly the same, but a few more merit badges and a slightly less creepy smile.

Attached: 1555998922561.jpg (800x500, 88K)

>SOF back then
actually does SOF stuff

>SOF now
kick doors
shoot a few rounds from a souped up M4/HK
rinse and repeat

itt: user makes a plot for a boxing movie

Spoopy
Petrifying

>American soldiers brutalized Vietnam
>the Vietnamese love America

>American soldiers get told to win hearts and minds
>nearly everyone in the middle east has mixed feelings or worse

Theft, Internal corruption such as higher ups promoting their family to nicer jobs, NCOs stealing fuel for their personal cars. A few incidents where armorers were caught selling equipment to criminal gangs who in turn sells it militants

t. Fromer conscript

Just Jewish things.

Depends, is it jungle fighting

Attached: 41021294_927648947435527_8958585059993975120_n.jpg (480x480, 64K)

considering that they were trained to counteract their lack of technology
and if you apply their training in todays world along with the tech we have now id say they would have been 300-500% better in any way

Vietnam era SOF were pioneers of their trade. They were thrown into the jungle with relatively minimal support and had to develop their tactics through trial and error. Most of their ‘training’ was usually in the field against live enemy soldiers. They were operating with an enormous amount of freedom and very little oversight compared to today.

The biggest difference between modern SOF and 60’s/70’s is obviously the technology. US spec ops nowadays enjoy a 10-fold advantage over the enemy. They have complete air superiority, surveillance, instant support, and all sorts of cool gadgets. Back in the day they were fighting on a more level playing field. Sure, they had air superiority over Vietnam, but those SF guys were on their own in the jungle. They could call for close air support only if the weather permitted, and had to survive against an enemy that vastly outnumbered them.

I believe that if you could teleport some green berets from 1970 to the present day, they would absolutely be effective on the modern battlefield. They could learn to utilize modern tech.
If you took 5 navy seals from today and teleported them back to 1970 and dropped them somewhere in Laos or north Vietnam with only car-15’s and a portable radio, they probably wouldn’t do so great.

They'd win just with their aesthetics alone