Are ODST’s possible in this day and age

Are ODST’s possible in this day and age

Attached: 9DE05C96-1262-4D47-98D0-BF7D7850DAC4.gif (624x351, 966K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FHtvDA0W34I
youtube.com/watch?v=DEP8juRSBRo
youtube.com/watch?v=6qF_fzEI4wU
youtu.be/wjamhIPVvnI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Anything is possible nowadays with a black budget.

Uh, sure. You could put a bunch of guys in guns in a rocket with a reentry capsule... but why?

Why not?

Only if you contribute to the thread as well, as apposed to shitting up the board and leaving.

What advantages would ODST provide over paratroopers? You're going to shoot people out of a space ship in escape capsules behind enemy lines? Its all the disadvantages of paratroopers just more intense and muh spese muhreeens

Attached: a6d6ca771b6174120badf8e60ebd59ed.jpg (216x400, 23K)

>launch from space
>looks like a meteor shower
>virtually undetectable

Not OP but about the only thing they have over para is the 'unlimited' range they have. Planes are limited by air space control and fuel range. All odst need are an orbital inclination change. Not to mention if you're not over target just wait an hour.

>look up
>see capsule burning on re-entry
Shit son that'll be picked up by telescope hobbyists, the fuck are you smoking?

>crash land
>master plan
>half of team crashed into bombed out buildings and die
>other half crawl out and die because (((meteor shower))) was detected by anti orbital guns and shot down
Yes this can only end well

ODST only works against disorganized rebels with dune coon level tech

*Space aliens

Attached: Screenshot_20190412-085728_Chrome.jpg (1439x1629, 596K)

Do they exist in halo anymore, or did 343 kill them off?

Wrong.
The only advantage of inserting troops that way would be to enter contested environments on short notice. This means that it'd be a waste to have personnel sitting in space losing muscle mass. Instead, they would be launched from the ground on a suborbital trajectory towards the drop zone. This will look identical to an ICBM launch to literally every space-based early warning sensor and missile defense radar on Earth. It's absolutely not worth the risk of escalation to nuclear exchange, similarly to why we've never developed non-nuclear ICBMs.

They still exist as of Halo 4, dont recall if 343 mentions them after that.

I mean, I'm not super into Halo lore, but by Halo 4, didn't they seriously expand the Spartan program? If you have an army of literal super soldiers, non-augmented special ops seems sorta pointless. I'm pretty sure the ODST that Nathan Fillion plays (Buck?) becomes a Spartan by Halo 5.

obama said they have iron man suits

i am not a conpiercy nut but bet there's some cool powered armor under wraps some where

Shh shh shh. We do not talk about Spartan IV’s. Halo ended with Halo 3

image that tho your being shot into an area where you might get hit and not land

you have no chance of escape you are on your own and have to meet up with everyone

They did, most of the cool stuff about halo dried up during and after 4. I hope they can revive it. Reach was the best.

Attached: 1555023397545.jpg (909x878, 99K)

Maybe 343 is gonna pull its head out of its ass.

Attached: 1555041348170.jpg (1777x999, 330K)

Doable

Attached: ODST Red-Bull-Felix-Baumgartner-Earth-Top-Jump.jpg (2560x1600, 571K)

It’s doable, yes. But it’s fucking retarded.

Kinda like mechs

No

Mechs aren't really doable.

I dont know if this is true but I heard the military actually considered putting RND into ODSTs in the early 2000's but scrapped the project because the technology wasnt there at the time.

>Halo ended with Halo 3
No you brainlet halo ended after the macworld 1999 trailer everything after that is shit cos I say so.

Attached: halo014.jpg (640x480, 54K)

This.
Based Bungie poster.

I never got how they survived slamming into the ground in a little pod from space

They need to put that armor in infinite.

Entirely possible
if you have people capable of free-falling without a chute

youtube.com/watch?v=FHtvDA0W34I
youtube.com/watch?v=DEP8juRSBRo
youtube.com/watch?v=6qF_fzEI4wU

Its possible, there was already some neat throwback stuff in 5 like the CE pistol and Mark IV

Attached: roachs-halo-wars-mark-iv-pepakura-spartan-armor-january.jpg (2731x2146, 1.07M)

Attached: 10765D23-AB95-4FB4-995A-AEC7D31440FA.png (500x667, 358K)

That's from a near space altitude, not orbital velocity. From an engineering perspective, it's still possible, but those free falls aren't remotely similar to what a real ODST would experience.

It’s cool as fuck especially if you’re wearing some dope ass space marine looking gear and carrying a big ass 30mm grenade rifle and an smog on your hip.

If you have orbital supremacy and the ability to target drop a payload, you can just bombard the target from space.

>Reach was the best.
Bullshit you're just young

It’s good

Attached: 00A1F942-0F51-4011-9620-D5ED7182AD6E.png (372x385, 239K)

don't spoil the ending~!

Master Chief dies!

Yes, but it would be best to airdrop a FOB from a B52 than drop down peeps from space in ungodly expensive pods

Because planes, boats, and trucks are all cheaper and arent as easily scene as a spacecraft falling through reentry, lighting up the entire countryside and waking up every civilian in ten miles of the landing zone.

the real redpill is realizing that these "black budgets" just line the pockets of select individuals and they're not actually making crazy cool power armor, quantum stealth or flying triangles.

I love that medic visor

The storyline is okay but not up to it's full potential and its multiplayer added elements that killed the series.

Just like iron man

Then how are we getting this crazy tech?

Everybody in a 10-mile radius would see exactly where the capsules would land. If its behind enemy lines, the soldiers in the capsules are literally just fish in a barrel waiting to get killed.

You're not only wrong but also stupid.

>What advantages would ODST provide over paratroopers?
Range and difficulty of interception. You don't need a completely successful SEAD campaign to allow for their usage.

But he's objectively correct in all measures. The class based system and less focus on in-map pickups as well as always on armor abilities, as well as getting Sprint and Jetpacks stuck in Halo led to the downfall of the series' multiplayer component. Advanced movement options utterly destroyed the map balance and mechanics which were designed to go along with the previous speed of movement. Not spawning on equal footing likewise was a significant step away from the core of the series.

The white budget.

I'm sure they could do it if they wanted to.

I love halo threads!
[spoiler]Reach best girl[/spoiler]

ODST is best game, fite me

Attached: 07AF1395-FB7F-4526-BD8A-C0282E214442.jpg (1242x938, 639K)

He finished the fight.

Attached: 8A03BFE7-CD69-4C79-BDE1-8609065009F2.jpg (1334x750, 210K)

Attached: A1AB21F4-EAED-40B6-A1F5-E26643E6A027.png (1024x768, 1.17M)

Bump

It would be pretty expensive each pod only carried one ODST, and also would we have to make a spaceship or something for them to launch off of?

Attached: lets get this onto a tray.jpg (240x280, 18K)

This, reach sucked

>can be dropped everywhere
>will land exactly where you want them
>can kill enemies just by landing
>can carry more equipment

Not really

nice argument

ODST troops aren't akin to paratroopers. The role is entirely different. ODST is for rapid deployment of additional bodies into a combat meat grinder. The desire is to land a soldier, in a ready to go state, right in the middle of the combat. Door blows open and they step out ready to go. The pods are basic, they only need to land the solider alive and carry basic ammo/weapons.

I think ODST works in the halo universe, as close ground wars with covenant is common and space travel is the norm with plenty of vast ships with troops at the ready.

For us, sure we could probably make the pod, we wouldn't have a way to really use it though.

I think the ODST trailer shows the use case well.

youtu.be/wjamhIPVvnI

Then you explain why it’s bad

ODSTs are special forces though

ODST's were also used before Covenant war to combat insurrectionists as a near un defensible assault on their bases. Unless thay knew the ODSTs were coming and had AA guns, they were fucked.

ODST pods also have enough gear stored within to get the start of a Forward Operational Base, as a way to get a solid foothold behind enemy lines perfect for mounting a pincer style assault. genetic enhancement aside, ODSTs are far better than any Spartan, especially when you look at cost per soldier. the selection process is gruelling, ODSTS are the best of the best who have already proven themselves as regular force soldiers. No ODST is truly 'green'.

Maybe if you dropped them out of this. You could possibly do it from airplane height or above, as long as your capsule isn't designed to aerobrake and instead uses retro-thrust to slow down.

Attached: dn25652-2_800[1].jpg (781x800, 66K)

>odsts are far better than Spartans
>one man army is not as good as a squad of unaugmented beings

Spartans are only one man armies because of augmentation idiot. or did you miss when I said "Genetic enhancement aside". Obviously all juiced up Spartans are way better. but for un-augmented humans, ODST is the best there is.

i want to fuck a female sangheili

spartans were literally trained from childhood as soldiers you fucking retard

>reach was the best
wanna know how i know youre retarded?

lemme guess Halo 3 is the best right?
>your /vg/ is showing

The only people who like Reach the most are those who were too young to really play the original trilogy as they came out.

in HS my Filipino friend had his dad buy me, him and my brother copies of ODST on launch. It was fun, but fuck

Sure, but it'd be beyond retard expensive and you'd still need to conduct a lot of SEAD missions beforehand as you would with traditional paratroopers unless you want your pods to get swatted out of the fucking sky as they follow an easily predictable course.
Oh and your opponent better not have ASAT weaponry your your spacefaring troop transport is gonna get got immediately.

and then given surgical and gene augments so grueling and expansive half the candidates died. SPARTANs are technologically-modified superhumans and if they were naturally born in their post-aug state instead of being made into what they are artificially you'd have a fair case of calling them something other than "human". (I vote H. Laconiensis btw)

ODSTs are literally just regular people. the only difference between an ODST and a normal average joe off the street is a shit-ton of moto and maybe some garden variety anabolic steroid analogue.

In all fairness, I'm pretty sure the pods aren't supposed to be stealthy. They are shock troopers after all, not commandos.

Better than your "argument"

Reach was great, the only people who disagree are mp fags who's opinions are irrelevant anyways.

At that point you may as well just use Zone Troopers.

Attached: post-98412-1233252849.jpg (628x234, 42K)

ODSTs are used for targeted special ops all the time what are you talking about? Especially pre-covanent. Have you never read any of the books?

Not really proving your point there fag. Spartans are clearly superior by sheer merit alone
>Ended the covenant
>Ended the flood
Suck a cock

You know how I know you haven't read any of the lore?

>Reach
Great idea, flawed execution. Fall of Reach the book had a better story than Reach the game.

I hate it when a franchise has an expansive EU that just gets unceremoniously tossed aside without even a passing acknowledgement. Still sore over Mouse Wars and the canon rape.

Zone Raiders were fucking BA too, fucking sonic grenade launchers + AA missiles = OP AF.

Them training them from children had a lot more to do with keeping them loyal than it does with making them killers. The augmentations play the majority of the role. The spartan III and IV programs showed this. Even worse though during the Spartan IV project they had traitors because they didn't use children, and instead used adults that weren't as easy to brainwash.

you can't cut a steak with a sledgehammer dipshit, they're different tools for different tasks.

The tits were nice too.

See

Let me guess reach came out during your peak high school years.

It's probably technically doable with current technology, there's no point actually doing it though because of the massive cost of getting a sizable platoon of troops and their very heavy drop pods and all their gear up into orbit in the first place.
The only way it's affordable is if you fly to high altitude instead of orbit and you use parachutes instead of pods so that you can fit a lot more guys in each plane, then you're just doing HALO paratroopers or something and we already have those.

Based GDIposter

Attached: 23CF3BFB-D830-434A-B1D3-7DF8326FD034.gif (300x191, 1.32M)

Attached: C03AA2A3-DFD4-4900-8715-8EFA2B0CA6F6.gif (284x248, 1.23M)

>Halo movie never

Attached: EF0F0F44-F3FA-415C-BE80-05757183FCD0.png (910x602, 701K)

Spartan III's were trained from childhood too though

doot

Attached: doot.png (965x913, 1.21M)

Are the books actually any good when compared to, you know, non-game books? Really asking.

If so, which ones?