Are scout rifles a meme?

I'm thinking of buying an mvp scout rifle as my first rifle. Is this stupid?

Attached: 27778_MVP_SCOUT_7.62_RAILEDpng.png (3840x1080, 1.46M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_rifle
instagram.com/p/BwmKON4lBLs/?hl=en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sporter rifles are the working man's rifle, what you lose in theoretical accuracy you make up for in ease of use. Getting that specific gun as your first isn't the worst idea, but you could do better in terms of user friendliness. Get a cheap gun that shoots cheap ammo that doesn't weigh too much and you've likely found a hunting rifle that meets all the criteria for "scout gun"

What would it do for you that a normal bolt action or semi auto rifle like an AR15 can't do better? Buy whatever you want, scout rifles definitely have some cool factor to them, but is it really what you need right now?

Yes, it's a meme. It's a retarded concept created by one fudd "expert" many years ago that never caught on because it's retarded. It's basically a rifle designed for a fudd LARP scenario that no one actually needed or used.

For a first gun you are better off buying something cheaper, those are about 1k if I remember correctly. You could pick something that cost about half that and you'd have money for ammo/club membership/accessories/etc.

The scout rifle concept is just a meme to charge more money for a bolt gun with rails.

The guns are fine if you want a bolt action but the concept of a scout gun, "the only gun you need" is stupid.
>The general-purpose rifle will do equally well for all but specialized hunting, as well as for fighting;
Bolt actions are a dumbass choice for fighting. You need a semi auto. If you really want a single do-all gun then a semi auto in 5.56 or 7.62x39 with good hunting ammo will do nicely. 7.62x39 is basically .30-30 which is considering adequate for hunting.

an AR does pretty much everything a scout rifle does. Also scout scopes are a meme, LPVO's are superior.

Could someone sum up the whole Scout Rifle thing? I've never really understood it, I know it involves a bolt action with a mag or something but that's it. Whats the concept behind it? What is it supposed to do better than other rifles?

Attached: Ihavaques.jpg (620x451, 54K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_rifle

I certainly am happy with mine and I am looking into putting a suppressor on it. That being said if it’s your first gun get something more useful like an AR-15. If you are in a cuck state then I’d say it’s a good Salt Weapon Alternative

Attached: 9009D532-7F0C-43B6-9A26-5780CA983663.jpg (640x427, 90K)

basically a brush gun in a medium caliber with a low-magnification scope that doesn't restrict peripheral vision

Re: AR-15: I want a gun with fewer moving parts, so that I won't feel as bad about neglecting it.

Re "normal bolt action", I'm not sure what that means. I like that it's shorter than most other bolt actions I see, though.

This sounds legitimate!

I see it online for $540, which is why I was thinking it.

>I'm thinking of buying an mvp scout rifle as my first rifle.

what's the intended purpose?

>Is this stupid?

the scout rifle concept? yes. if you want a bolt gun for innawoods, you're better off tinking about >maximum accuracy,
>minimum weight,
>reasonable caliber and capacity,
>excellent glass
when picking the gun.

Attached: bravo-fde-resized-1000x350-2-1000x350.png (1000x350, 75K)

>what's the intended purpose?

Fudd LARPing, mostly.

then you can do that with a mosin/k98 too

You can neglect the shit out of an ar15. The "precise and fragile space age aluminum and polymer" is a movie and video game meme. They're reliable and tough and require only as much maintenance as any other gun. Wipe down, add oil. The part count is not that much higher. Just focus on your wants and needs and buy smartly.

Are these cheaper than a mossberg, though?

I was able to get a Ruger model for about $680 online.

The threaded barrel and mags are nice as well. On the Ruger one you can adjust the length of pull. Not to mention the ghost ring irons are another nice feature.

Attached: 93DC69A5-A0AE-4AB4-B195-90B02FF35920.jpg (1824x1368, 339K)

>scout rifle without optic

it's like you people want me to REEEE all day every day....

a failed marketing strategy

I bought a Mosin with Russian service stamps and an octagonal chamber with the bayonet and service field kit for 60$.

Mosins are cheap. Good russian ammo is getting tougher to find though and slowly climbing in cost. But you can buy a spam can that will last quite a while.

Honestly, my 60$ Mosin is my most fun rifle to shoot, the report is fantastic, kick isn't unwieldy, and with iron sites and the bayonet fixed (they are zeroed with the bayonet on) they are fucking accurate. I have no issues hitting very small targets at distance with just the irons. Cleaning is stupid easy, I've put thousands of rounds through mine and never once cleaned the bolt. Took the bolt apart last time I shot it and still didn't need cleaning.

Fun rifle for such a low entry price. Kinda cool looking at all the USSR service stamps on its butt too.

Mosins are no longer $60, those days are looooong gone. Milsurp is still Jow Forumsool as fuck for people who are into history and nobody should try and convince them otherwise if they find them interesting, but they cost just as much as any other rifle now, and the only reason for buying one is for interest or fun. I find them very unique and interesting and that is why I like them, but I would never say they are superior to any of my more modern guns because that's fuckin stupid. Still cool as shit tho, and good for you finding one for thst cheap

I'd rather have a 30-30 lever action.
Why use bolt action for anything other than long range stationary firing. semi is so much more useful, including for learning.
as far as "moving parts" the guns design has barely changed in 70 years. take it apart once and you'll understand how simple they are.

or an m14 actually.

ARs are now boringly reliable and the moving parts count is lower than you think. As for upkeep, literally just lube the bolt every 500 rounds or so and you won't need to do cleaning for a long time.

just spray some wd40 in the ejection port, work the action and that's it.

Oh yea, I mean my modern rifles are def better overall, but I was just saying sheer fun and enjoyment for entrance cost.

How much are Mosins in your area? Last one I saw for sale around me was only 120 bucks. I always figured value is around 50-200$ depending on condition and if it has the accessories and bayonet. I'm curious if my mosin is worth more now lol. Maybe I should actually clean the bolt for once xD

imo mosins aren't even that fun. the action is gross and usually sticky and they are uncomfortable to fire. The only thing that makes it interesting is the history.

Yeah most I've seen are $200-$300 range at lgs's, granted in good condition, but when there are so many different breeds of Mausers right next to it, they're just so much more appealing. Mosins and stuff jacked up in price after all the boomers bought up all the surplus and jacked up the price. Now they're selling them for a profit and stuff but overall cheap sub $100 milsurp is over, even tho that's the maximum they're worth unless it's perfect quality pre-war stuff. Anyway keep your mosin, that thing is much better off in your hands than making $200 .

Sticky action? There's something I've never experienced. Mine is butter smooth despite pretty much never cleaning the bolt. I don't get the uncomfortable thing either. I mean, its as comfy as a wooden rifle with a steel plate on the butt firing a 7.62x54r would be. Pocket it right and barely feel shit. Pocket it wrong, walk away with some bruises. History is def the biggest thing going for it, but its dead accurate, not heavy, requires minimal, if any, cleaning and servicing, bayonet attachment, great for hunting, etc. Sure many guns can do that shit. But after some 3-4k rounds I've fired through it since I got it, its performed very well and always surprises me when I pull the bolt out and see its clean.

Makes sense. Shame. I had no plans on selling it anyways, when ammo is impossible to find I'll just hang it on a wall. Its in great shape.

I miss the days when I could buy rifles for under a hundred bucks.

gun gluttons mad af the undisputed most versatile collection is 308 scout and glock 23

Attached: fddfg.jpg (2088x1536, 782K)

Probably but I don't care. They are definitely silly in 5.56/.223. .308 is the way to go. Makes a great hunting and plinking rifle that's fun to carry around. Backup Iron sights are nice to have. Even with a suppressor the chances of me carrying it around during SHTF over an AR or pistols is slim. 2.5x forward mounted scopes are really practical and neat and there's nothing else quite like them.

Pic related is mine. Replaced the bottom plastic with bottom metal from Pacific Tool & Gauge. Sling (not attached atm) is a heavy duty Riflecraft sling that functions like a better ching sling. 'AICS-style' mags from Ruger are better than Magpul's or Ruger's initial (shitty) polymer mags

Attached: 20181022_082050.jpg (2576x1932, 3.13M)

A handy bolt gun in a reasonable caliber with a low power optic can be VERY useful. Read up on what the exact details of a scout rifle are, and decide for yourself if any of those can be ignored. For example, if you drop the iron sights requirement your option open up a ton.

Like other people have said, though, for a first rifle you're probably better off with a basic AR instead. It'll be easier and more fun to shoot, and you'll ultimately appreciate it a lot more.

MVP scouts are lame and not well-made. .308 is the way to go otherwise might as well have a semi-auto 5.56. Ruger and Tikka is where it's at. Idk if Tikka has a scout but they make great stainless rifles that you can convert into one if you wanted one enough.

>.308 is the way to go

no. 6.5mememoor.

I want an m1a scout. What are the cons of that platform?

Mossbergs are fine. People bitch about the fact that they don't look like a mantlepiece gun, and conveniently gloss over the fact that they work just as well as the competition.

In the modern bolt action market, what makes a scout rifle stand out is the fact that it comes with factory installed iron sights, and tapped for rails far in front the ejection port, that's pretty much the only meaningful difference. If you want irons on your bolt action for whatever reason, it's easier to look for these scout rifles than taking it to a gun smith.
If you want any other features like detachable box mags, threaded muzzle, a certain barrel length or thick sporter barrels, they offer them not exclusively to what they market as scout rifles.
People are gonna drop one liners shitting on the mossberg mvp scout without really explaining why, like any other dumbass with a loud opinion they are taught to believe. It's like people scream about how awful mcdonalds is and how it made them throw up once when they were six years old and how you should kys if you don't share their raging hate boner, while everyone else have their fast food without throwing a tantrum.

Thanks for the insight!

instagram.com/p/BwmKON4lBLs/?hl=en

Pretty much this

Scout rifles aren’t a meme, the use for one is. If you don’t have a large cattle/sheep ranch to patrol daily you probably don’t need a scout rifle.

This isn't exactly a "scout" rifle but you can pick up a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 for a lot of places around $400 brand new. You can use 10 or 20 round Mini 30 mags (also cheap), it's got a threaded barrel, and it can reliably shoot steel-case surplus ammo unlike the mini 30. The only downside about this gun is the lack of built-in iron sights. However, almost anyone has a cheap red dot lying around that will work for 100 yards at least. And you can always add on real scope for longer range shooting. I'll be picking it up once I get my finances in order.

People can argue about the merits of a scout rifle in a defensive role, but not everything needs to be bought with a min/max mindset. This would be a cheap, accurate, lightweight, and reliable setup for a fun plinker than can take down a deer or hog with the right ammo. And this thing will be legal regardless of where you live or where you may move. Sorry for sounding like a shill.

No they are not memes
They are excellent rifles
that are legal in all states
and every man woman
and child should have one
for the nations common
defense.

Forgot my image due to autism.

Attached: RAR.jpg (313x161, 10K)

Cept "scout" rifles existed well before the fudd rebranded the term.

Cooper himself said that semi-auto's were fine as long as they were rugged and light enough.

Once there was a man who was a globetrotting adventurer.
This man wanted one rifle that he could bring anywhere and do anything with.
This man also lived in an era when automatics were considered too unreliable for adventuring with, and ARs were prohibitively expensive.

This man is long dead, and his needs were niche even in his day.

Sounds like you don't know what a scout rifle is or what it's for

I'm not sure how an ar15 is "more useful" in this context desu. I have a Ruger scout and I love it. It was my first rifle and it's still my favorite. I have a bunch of other stuff including an AR, but the scout goes with me I to the woods every time. It's just easier if you aren't expecting to mag dump something

MVP scouts are 1 moa out of the box.

>maximum accuracy
>minimum weight
>reasonable caliber and capacity
>excellent glass
With the exception of maximum accuracy (because that's sort of subjective) this describes what a scout rifle is supposed to be. People saying scout rifles are stupid don't seem to understand the concept or can't separate the idea of a multipurpose utility rifle from Jeff Cooper's own ideas or activities

Have you ever had an original thought in your life?

>is getting a gun a bad idea?
the answer is always no*
*unless it's Taurus

>marketing strategy
Nobody made a commercial "scout rifle" until steyr. And even now there are only 3 on the market

No they aren't. Mossberg doesnt even claim that

Go watch some reviews. MVP scouts in .308 are tack drivers. It's insane.

all of those requirements could easily be met by a traditional scoped rifle not in scout configuration

>not in scout configuration
Put them in whatever configuration you want that you feel meets all the requirements you desire for a multipurpose rifle. Jeff Cooper's scout rifle was a guideline. People hate on the concept because Jow Forums loves to hate JC. Scout scopes happen to be pretty great at what they do, anyway. But if you don't like them you don't have to use them

Same honestly. Scouts are cool.

Pic explains it’s origins

Attached: 931455A0-9B05-4012-B18C-6E587D915F66.jpg (1439x1858, 447K)

the scout rifle concept has some merit but i wouldnt get an MVP
Mossberg despite making great shotguns makes a crap bolt action and personally i would go .308

For the same price range i recommend the Savage Hog hunter and then have it tapped for a scope or for a little more money just get the scout rifle savage makes

>MVP
Mine is 1 moa.

Attached: patrol red dot.jpg (695x701, 143K)

That thing looks way too sexy with the PRO on it.

i think ian does a decent job justifying the scout rifle concept, the issue is that its just fulfills such a niche roll, one that hardly anyone uses it for, which is 'adventuring in subsaharan africa'

I have a scope on mine. Thinking about putting a red dot on it.
I think the biggest problem with the 308 MVP line was people just not knowing anything about rifles getting one. Plus the kick of a 308 in such a small package. The rail mount for scopes was loose from the factory which seems to be the norm, personally I think they did that expecting people to but different ones on. That and just name brand everyone equates shotguns to them not rifles. It is my favorite brush/truck gun.

I honestly don't have one yet because I'm a low key elitist snob and owning an MVP doesn't really do much for my ego. They seem like decent rifles, but I'd feel dirty owning one.
Yeah, I'm probably retarded.

>It's basically a rifle designed for a fudd LARP scenario
yeah, zoomer LARP scenarios are much more relevant

Attached: 1517127917275.gif (500x281, 855K)

Yes, except when discussing legal limitations.
If you can't get semi-autos they are probably your best bet.

>Select fire
>semi auto
>pumps with detachable mags
>scout rifles
>pump actions
>bolt guns
>lever guns
>break action

>Jeff Cooper
>fudd
Go fuck your own face.

Nah your good man. You do you. I had the opportunity to grab one at a decent price so I did. I didn't expect much out of it and had to do some stuff(mentioned above). I like it cause I can cross load sr25/m1a mags. The dirty part is somewhat appealing to me the bolt has never stuck even dropping it in mud. I do get all that you are saying though.

I had one, the construction is extremely cheap and it’s accuracy is nothing to write home about. It’s a cheap sporter rifle, and that’s it. Sorta like the Mosin, it’s best attribute is how cheap it is.

They most definitely aren’t.
>noguns

Dope.

Attached: viper 6-24x50 FFP.jpg (4000x1285, 806K)

Post guns little guy

>need

How is it unbelievable a bolt gun would be 1MOA out of the box?

Because he's a faggot retard who thinks that because it's a Mossberg rifle it can't perform well. There's multiple reviewers on jewtube who talk about the surprising high accuracy of the rifle.

I've already said that I want it for fudd larping. Nobody needs any guns.

I like the Larp aspect of "Scout Rifles" but as far as a good "do it all" gun, an AR is probably the better option. "Scout Rifles" are kind of an outdated niche that don't fully apply in the current weapon market, but if you got a bolt gun in 308 or some shit, with decent capacity, and a well made one, then it could be a do it all gun. Let's be honest, no average rifle owner should find themselves in a situation innawoods that needs 30 rounds, if you do, idk what the fuck you're doing out there. But I still carry a sidearm when I go out with anything like a bow, or anything lower capacity/slower to shoot, with an AR, you don't necessarily need a sidearm to feel prepared. It's all a matter of opinion, but I do feel like given the price of a basic AR and it's capabilites that Scout Rifles are just a meme.

Cool desu.

Think less "i need 30 rounds for my bolt action" and think more "i need 10 rounds instead of the 3 that the factory mag gives me. I also need that points quick in case something mean comes out of the bushes to my left, or i stumble upon a whitetail and don't have time to set up my monopod.

>"Scout Rifles" are kind of an outdated niche that don't fully apply in the current weapon market
Agreed, but I want one because it's cool. I dunno why, scout rifles just have a unique sexiness to them that the standard AR doesn't have (though the AR is sexy as fuck in its own ways). Where I live ARs are fairly restricted anyway and I tend to favor the simplicity of bolt action rifles over semis regardless.
>Let's be honest, no average rifle owner should find themselves in a situation innawoods that needs 30 rounds, if you do, idk what the fuck you're doing out there
I wouldn't worry about it.

scout rifles just have that 'gadget' appeal. you can see yourself using it in all sorts os situations you will never be in.

Yeah if you want a .308, just get/build an AR-10.

Could a scout rifle serve as a replacement for a lever action as a guide gun?

In the right caliber it sure can. A lightweight Kimber or Barrett will be nicer to carry as well.

>Kimber

Attached: Yikes.png (128x123, 28K)

Kimber rifles are great. I wouldn’t let one in my 1911 collection.

The scout rifle concept was made in an era where fudds liked their bolt guns and didn't like semi autos because they were "unreliable", which to be fair manufacturing processes have come a long way since the early 1980s. All that being said, let's look at some of the basic concepts of a scout rifle and which ones are good and which ones are meme tier and why, in theory since I've never shot one, I think the MVP scout is a solid rifle if you want a bolt gun.

>1) detachable magazine that is a standardized format for 5.56 and .308

This is huge just because it makes loading and reloading the gun easier from a fairly simple box mag. If you want to throw a 25 round .308 mag on there, you can. If you just want a 5 round box, great. The platform and convenience is nice, not to mention the low price of polymer mags nowadays. This is also versatile because you can have different loads in different mags depending on the game you're chasing if you've done the prep work beforehand to know where to hold with point of impact shift from the change in booolet.

>2) relatively compact

The myth that the longer the barrel, the more accurate should be all but dead by now. Longer barrels have more fluctuation than shorter ones. The primary difference between a longer and shorter barrel is muzzle velocity. I don't know about you, but taking shots out to 1500+ yards in most hunting or SHTF applications is less than advisable. For .308 within 1000 yards, you're probably fine with a 16 inch barrel. So I don't see a problem with barrel length.

>coopers concept of long eye relief scope

Nothing against LER scopes, but why use it if you don't need it? What would be preferable, and the MVP scout allows this, is a QD mounted scope with backup irons.

If it's what you want OP, go get it. I think the design is a fairly modular bolt gun with more options than traditional bolt guns.

relatively heavy and complicated, accuracy is unimpressive for how much they go for. If you want an M1A, you do you, but if you're bothersomely practical an AR-10 will do anything an M1A does better for cheaper.

what is an AR-15?

I was comparing the 30 round standard of an AR to the scout rifle concept, which usually requires a detachable, larger capacity mag. I was literally saying the "scout rifle" is more reasonable for innawoods.

What rings you got there fellow MVP?

Yeah but AR 10s are fucking boring. Get a FAL or a G3.

No but the mvp is

>I know you've never touched one.

So I have to buy a shit gun to have an opinion on it? No thanks

People say you should start smaller like .22lr so you don't develop bad shooting habits like flinching too much before the shot and stuff.

I started with a 12ga and a 91/30 and I'm a decent shot, so I don't know how true that is. I don't think your choice is stupid, but if I were you, I were just starting out and I didn't have self defense or hunting concerns, I'd get a .22lr just because it's so cheap to shoot and practice with.

If you need or want an all-round kind of option, I'd say go for a shotgun in 12 or 20ga. Shotguns are neat if you need multi-purpose because of the variety of loads for them. If you want something that's purely for social situations, I guess go for the AR-15 or some other semi-automatic rifle with a removable magazine.

All that said, it's just my opinion. You picked a decent rifle and I don't think it'd be silly at all to go for it.

I've been hunting the past 3 years with a scouted out K31. The LER/EER scopes leave a lot to be desired with their FOV and eyebox. Cool yes. Helps my aging eyes use a nostalgic gun innawoods yes. Faster onto target than a conventional bolt gun with a conventional scope of decent quality on low power? No. Just buy something run of the mill, I wouldn't bother. The top eject of the K31 is why I have been using it. Building a gayR in 6.5 grendel for this year.

Attached: 56410216585__0C6402FD-4C0B-452E-AB3C-AAAEF768F93C.jpg (3264x2448, 3.83M)