Hey Jow Forums turned 18 today and bought a mosin pretty new to guns still since I've only been into them for a few...

Hey Jow Forums turned 18 today and bought a mosin pretty new to guns still since I've only been into them for a few years had a look at the bore and wanted to know if this was either unrepairable or something a gun Smith might be able to better handle than me

Attached: Snapchat-454947557.jpg (932x1807, 413K)

Here's pic 2/3

Attached: Snapchat-638341942.jpg (932x1807, 230K)

And here's 3/3

Attached: Snapchat-180024496.jpg (932x1807, 438K)

Wtf am I looking at? I see nothing wrong.

I think he’s confused about the cosmoline.

>wanted to know if this was either unrepairable or something

The shitty machining? All of the war era Mosin Nagants look like that.

Attached: Muh Nuggets.jpg (1192x1212, 707K)

My grandpa seemed very concerned about some pitting in the rear of the receiver where the trigger sits
Actually maybe please explain user

Pitting doesn't compromise the action unless it's really excessive. That's just cosmetic. It's also not in a load bearing location. And some of that is just old grease and dirt and not pitting.

Ok that does make sense

Here's a pic 1/2 of the bolt

Attached: Snapchat-705413210.jpg (932x1807, 390K)

And pic 2/2

Attached: Snapchat-42346746.jpg (932x1807, 356K)

Oh yea dude. That guns fucked.

Try to fire it and you might blow a finger off

It’s got some cosmoline on it. This is a common preservative substance that can resemble rust to the untrained eye. Looks up common removal techniques and rifle will be fine.

to add, there is definitely some pitting, but it should be fine. You can do some things about that too.

Not OP, but what makes you say that? It looks pretty bad, but I'm not sure its unusable.

Steel wool on the metal to get all the rust off then oil or re-blue. Gun is likely fine to shoot as Russian conscripts won a war with garbage rods in way worse shape.

>had a look at the bore
You know none of your pictures show the bore, right?

What you pay for this thing $500 on special I take it?

Not that guy either, but visible pitting is just that, visible. If it's crusty on the surface, you have to assume the corrosion is making its way beyond that. Unless you are willing to fucking x-ray the bolt to see how far gone it is, I would definitely advise against shooting with it.
On the other hand, the real important stuff, which is at the head of the bolt, looks fine.
I don't know, user, do you think it's worth it? It's a gamble.
Also this. I'm curious about the price.

Attached: 1377466415750.gif (255x138, 2.74M)

god dammit stop falling for the meme the only thing it had going for it was its ludicrously cheap price

Toss the metal parts in some evaporust overnight and take another look after you pull it out and clean it.

be good to that rifle, somebody died on that bolt, that's blood pitting and isn't horribly uncommon on surplus.

>blood pitting

Boomer bullshit made up to sell rusty shit for a high price. I'm sure it happens but more often I'd assume it is just rust caused by firearms being store improperly. Blood from a fallen hero makes for a better story than it sat in a leaky warehouse for 70+ years.

Attached: Uncle Sam meets one of the Chosen.jpg (1600x2039, 679K)

No only paid 375 after taxes and all

Also the end of the bolt that isn't exposed when the bolt is closed has 0 pitting

I couldn't get a good pic sorry user

>Only paid 375
>"ONLY"
Thats alot of money considering the vast amount of funs you could have bought for cheaper rather than this thing.

Why would you ever buy such a shitty gun? A hi point carbine would have been a better value.

That's a lot of money for a mosin in that condition. I bought one which had pretty severe pitting but still in better condition than yours for $175 tax free