Why doesn't Japan make modern firearms?

Why doesn't Japan make modern firearms?

Think about it. Japs make great knives, cars, motors, watches, electronics. Their precision manufacturing is top notch, and priced very competitively. Imagine a nice Jap 1911 or AR-15 made to the quality and fit and finish of a nice Seiko, or Honda race motor.

It seems like it would be a natural transition. Is it some cultural thing? They were a race of warriors, making incredible bladed weapons (the Katana) back in their feudal age.

Attached: 1200px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png (1200x800, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_pC7YhLVyqI
archive.fo/iAGnO
archive.fo/3BzPD
youtube.com/watch?v=O3CxkhMVva4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They make great Winchesters.

They do, most of them are just fudd gats though.

>Why doesn't Japan make modern firearms?
They do, most of their small-arms for the JSDF are indigenous manufactured.
Guess what?
They suck.

Do they really suck? I thought they were basically AR-18 clones on par with Daewoo stuff?

Miroku makes quite a few guns under license from FN, including Brownings and Winchesters.

Howa made AR-18s in the 70s, but a bunch were bought by the Provisional IRA during The Troubles, prompting Japan to ban export of non-sporting arms.

Crowded market with a lot of well connected giants to face. They're already doing great with electronics, cars, etc. It probably isnt a profitable venture for them as much as other things though I would like to see it.

>They suck
No they don't. They're just outdated.

Here's more recent foreign use: Howa 1500 rifles somewhere in Ukraine.

Attached: B8Hf38dCcAAke50.jpg (1280x721, 164K)

they do

Those things are fukken great

They have a robust arms industry, but only export sporting arms.

The problem started when they started aping American/Korean firearms instead of making their own.

They do

Attached: 0 NgSL0MPXlCC6kThR.jpg (1200x800, 266K)

>tfw no type 64

Attached: Type_64_Rifle.jpg (2497x1093, 1.04M)

>designed to use a manlet powder loading to better suit the manlet frame

Japan has barely had an army since 1945 and the public has no weapons culture. (The criminals do, but that is different). The combination of no national market, a 'peace' political unity, hardly any national armed forces and a long standing unease in the international market and neighboring countries about Japanese arms - all of that does not combine into a thriving weapons industry.

>They suck
Please elaborate.

>Japan has barely had an army since 1945
Japan has the world's 8th highest military budget and an army of 250k active personnel.

>the public has no weapons culture

explain GuP, kantai collection and GFL

Congratulations on making the dumbest post of the day before it's even 9AM.

theyve also got their own weird milled UZI with an integrated fore-grip

their small arms are aesthetic as fuck its too bad they will never be exported.

Attached: pm 9.jpg (864x459, 46K)

the last one is Chinese though

That sounds like the kind of shit usually seen in the New York Times.

Quoting Wikipedia:

"The weapons law of Japan begins by stating "No one shall possess a firearm or firearms or a sword or swords", and very few exceptions are allowed.[152] Citizens are permitted to possess firearms for hunting and sport shooting, but only after submitting to a lengthy licensing procedure.[153] After ten years of shotgun ownership, a license-holder may apply to obtain a rifle. "

>Ten year waiting period to go from a shotgun license to rifle license.
Fuck me...

God I hope the japs realize the merits of private arms ownership and fuck off with that gay no swords edict they have

>Mitsubishi man-portable railguns in my timeline
fuck yes

Why I get feeling that hunting tourism to japan is completely impossible and for outsider to own firearm as well.

this is a blue board

Waifu culture is not weapons culture. And beyond that, neets are a small subset of a subset of the population. The average nip has no idea what a Kirishima is.

Imagine living right next to three major possible enemies and not arming your people.

Because civilians with guns are going to help so much when a modern army invades.

Guerrilla warfare is hell.
Just ask from english, 'muricans or russians.

Why not.

You know, being nuked twice really changes your perspective of the world...

Except China and North Korea would have no qualms about murdering entire villages and towns if they needed to.

>tfw no JP AR-18

Attached: HowaType89FullStock.jpg (1000x281, 116K)

True

I looked into firearm ownership in gookland
Seems lie one more reason not to ever visit that authoritarian state.

Attached: Korean plan.jpg (640x480, 125K)

hunting tourism is quite developed in japan. people go to hunt bear there.

I thought it to be impossible because their laws are kind of fucked.
It looks almost like they will be forced into using government hunters within ten or two years if they really go through firearms ban.

Which is why civilians deserve to be armed.

They make more than enough money exporting add-your-own-gun infantry fighting vehicle kits to Africa and the Middle East that they don’t need the negative PR of selling the actual shootey bit when they can just sell everything other than the shootey bit instead

It's literally just AR-18 clones.

And fairly high quality ones.

They do. Howa makes them. Their military ones are not for export, because Japanese law prohibits the sale of JSDF goods (it's why surplus gear is so hard to find).

Howard does make some civilian guns. But since the Japanese market is small, they dont manufacture as much as say Ruger or Mossberg. Still, I've seen Howa rifles at Big 5.

The bright side is that government hunting/culling almost never works out. The government never gives enough money and never does it often enough to effectively cull the deer hordes, and always inevitably starts giving licenses out again.
It seems that in any place that has a decent amount of large game wildlife, hunters are essential, so the government, as much as it hates it, always has to foster at least SOME sort of hunting culture.
As for Japan not having a "weapons culture", I think it does and it doesn't. It doesn't have a real weapons culture, but it has some lust for them. You see this in how popular airsoft is in Japan. They absolutely wished they had the real deal. My only hope is that generation eventually pushes for more lax weapon laws. 10 years to get a rifle is insane.

It doesn’t really have a weapons culture though. Yes, there is a portion of the population that goes gaga over air soft or whatever. But that doesn’t reflect a significant portion of the population, because guess what, those people are seen as weirdos. It’s not like in the US where pretty much everyone owns a gun or knows someone who does.

youtu.be/_pC7YhLVyqI

Japanese rich doctor hunts deer in alpenflage and makes knife reviews. Not only hunting licenses take a lot of time, they are extremely expensive.

I love listening to VirtuoVice. He's so laid back yet autistic about his hobby in a very Japanese way. I really enjoy his hunting videos where he actually gets a kill. I also learned most Japanese hunters end up taking only the backstrap because its the least effort and there's so many deer to take its not worth taking all their meat. You'd run out of storage very fast.

It seems to be possible for foreigner to get hunters license and firearm license but that requires a lot of money and has million of separate parts to do.
And rifle seems to require japanese shotgun license(10y) so foreign licenses are just toilet scrapes or paper there.

Many countries are having struggling hunting culture because large age groups are getting old and younger people alienate themselves from forests and have much harder time getting gun licenses.

This is correct, they are a bit like Germany where the government has effectively banned the export of anything except firearms that have a clear sporting purpose, hence Howa bolt guns and Miroku Winchester's being readily available but anything semi-auto being only available as old pre-ban stuff.

>21% attack japan
LOL, OK so I can understand the logic of the other two options, but why the fuck is "Attack Japan" even a response? I know all of East Asia hates the rest of East Asia but fuck that just seems like a tard getting hit by a spitball and so going ape shit on the person sitting next to him.

Doesn’t Mateba make its own Sigs? Like, they’re not even clones, Mateba purchased the licensing rights from Sig.

Japanese firearms tourism in Hawaii is pretty big, apparently. There are a number of ranges in Hawaii that make good dosh renting out machine guns and assault rifles to curious Japanese tourists that want to shoot the guns from their favorite mangas/animes. Washington Compost of all the shitrags had a pretty interesting article on it, I'll see if I can find an archived version to link.

Yes
Japanese tourists love to go to Guam for shooty shooty too

>bringing more weapons into a culture obsessed with suicide unless successfull, and with the highest incel powerlevels known to man
As if they dont soduku themself enough ffs

>I also learned most Japanese hunters end up taking only the backstrap
That's common with a lot of hog hunters down in Texas as well. We're mostly doing it for target practice on a moving target and to cull the population, the meat is an added bonus but the bigger hogs taste like shit and even a small porker will fill up a freezer no problem.

I think this is just plain retardation.
Just give animal to someone else if you run out of freezer room.

Here's the articles I was thinking of, forbes and npr.
archive.fo/iAGnO
archive.fo/3BzPD

They're pests for the most part

That's a lot of work, especially in the countryside where these animals usually are. You'd have to load them up, after gutting them to prevent spoilage, then take them to the person or to a facility. That's a lot of work and these animals reproduce so rapidly there's always going to be animals to take.

They have no domestic market, and their arms control laws are super strict, so they have no export market either. The only customer is their military. Their land forces are a low priority to begin with, and the domestic merch is expensive because it can't be built at scale, so it's one big ball of negative feedback loops.

>What should we do if America attacks North Korea?
>ATTACK JAPAN!

Attached: 1502674657130.jpg (720x438, 30K)

Eat or be eaten user. Get them before they get you.

This may come as a shock to you but there's this thing called a sense of humor.

>there's this thing called a sense of humor
Among East Asians? Impossibru.

>laughing sand people and africans

mateba is italian

>"give me one good reason to own a gun"
>"if a foreign army invades"
>"civilians can't fight off a modern army"
>"sandnigerstan says otherwise"
>"they'll just kill you, so you might as well not have a gun anyway"
Why is the black pill looking more and more like the blue pill these days?

>machine guns
>Hawaii

These are FFL's operating these ranges, buddy. I'm sure there are more than a few that are Class III/SOT and can have post '86 dealer samples to rent out, just like the ranges in Las Vegas. Speaking of which, Battlefield Las Vegas is incredibly popular with foreign tourists, including Japanese.

but i am a manlet

it's one of the jingoistic japanese tv shows about how everyone is out to get them and they need to go empire strong again

>They were a race of warriors
Nah.

Japs have always been a race of cunts who do everything authorities tell them to do. When the Samurai disarmed civilians, nobody said a thing and promptly obeyed.

They weren't even allowed to fucking defend themselves unlike peasants in Mainland Asia. Just look up how many peasant revolts Japs had in their history.

Attached: SOULJA BOY OFF IN DIS OH WATCH ME CRANK IT WATCH ME ROLL WATCH ME CRANK DAT SOULJA BOY THEN SUPAMAN (1200x1614, 445K)

The Japanese are an enslaved nation with foreign military bases on their clay. Having them armed would make it harder to enforce their subjugation. They don't need guns to build Nintendos for the basedguzzlers in the USA.

Wild hogs really do taste like ass too.

Woah, don't cut yourself on that edge mate.

The Imperial Japanese were literally arming civilians with sharp sticks and suicide bombs in preparation of an American land invasion.

So they can exempt themselves from HRS §134-8 if they have an FFL?

Children too.

>The Imperial Japanese were literally arming civilians with suicide bombs
Islam before islam?

Tenno heika banzai!

Lmao, the Samurai even banned karate because they were that against self defense.

They don't own them, they don't acquire them, they rent them. If you have yuropoors on vacation you can take them shooting with you just fine. They can't buy your gun though.
Absolutely. When I lived in CA it was not uncommon to see Japanese tourists at the LGS trying to rent a lane. There's a fascination with guns in Japan, which typically takes the form of airsoft, but in all likelihood hell will freeze over before the average citizen can buy a gun in Japan.
youtube.com/watch?v=O3CxkhMVva4

But that's exactly what people thought when they came into the car market.

Flips are BTFO of the whole region

Imagine guerrilla warfare in the mountains of Japan, in the snow of Hokkaido, or the tropics of Ryukyu. If only Japan adopted self-defense to mean going full Swiss. Every household has a Type 64.

Attached: 1556060229312.gif (540x603, 188K)

The Japs manufacturing infrastructure went bye-bye about the same time the US manufacturers moved the mode of production to China. China only makes decent electronics due to Jap, US, or Euro quality control and oversight. Except for their copies of Russian rifles and handguns, everything China makes on its own is dogshit.

Pro tip: Japan used to make outstanding guitars-- an old Jap Squire Strat is better than a new MIM Fender Strat.

>GFL
Ugly chink shit.

You've got to beat the dick you're born with.

Miroku Corporation of Japan made excellent Browning and Winchester licenced shotguns and rifles. My pops has a Japanese Browning Citori 12 gauge over/under that I borrowed for a pheasant hunt one year, 14 rounds, 12 roosters, although I split them up with less lucky guys in the party. It's a beautiful, well balanced shotgun that points like magic, the the bluing, stock, bore, and action look almost new, even though he got it in the 1970's.

i was feeling up a made in japan remington versa in a gun shop. baby was fucking solid.

Attached: 81048_VersaMax_MO_WaterFowl_Right.png (800x121, 92K)

>i was feeling up a made in japan remington versa in a gun shop. baby was fucking solid.

I hope you checked finish, machine work, and even the wood. The Japanese licenced rifles and shottys were like works-of-art level perfect.

Sorry, I meant Minebea

shotgun was exactly pic related, no wood on it. didnt play with the action because i didnt want the old timers getting nervous. no shaking parts and it was perfectly balanced.

>i was feeling up a made in japan remington versa

Yeah, no... You weren't.

Attached: Versamax.png (1659x520, 149K)

you do realize that anime there isn't as big as you think it is.

except i did. literally said "MADE IN JAPAN" on the barrel.

I can only take your word for what it is, but Versamax has only ever been made in Ilion, NY.
You 100% sure it wasn't a Browning BPS that said had hecho in nippon on it?

naw, it was a camo remington semiauto. the tag even said versa.
same exact shotgun in this pic