Shoot pistol

>shoot pistol
>flinch constantly
>shoot rifle
>dont flinch at all.

why the fuck is this?

Attached: 4545455.gif (350x204, 649K)

more experience with rifles than handguns?

>shoot pistol
>miss constantly
>shoot rifle
>still miss constantly
Mfw

Attached: 1547765958862.jpg (720x568, 46K)

Other poster here, but I shoot three times as much with pistols over rifles and only get flinchies with the former.

Are you shooting a Glock?

I'm the same OP and it really bothers me because I love handguns. I can't shoot them for shit and I can't tell why.
I've tried doubling down on ear pro, I've tried using snap caps mixed into the magazines, I've tried improving my stance, my grip, my sight alignment, nothing works.

Maybe I just feel better by shouldering a gun, I don't know.

do you let the trigger surprise you/dryfire a lot? if not then fuck off and do those things

practice dry firing at home more, mix snapcaps into your ammo at the range, try using different calibers or guns. Some calibers are known for being "snappy" on recoil

Shooting a pistol feels more visceral somehow; your hands feel closer to the round going off than with a rifle. The rifle also will kick and flip much less than a pistol, due to typically having several times as much mass.

Get a .22 pistol and fire a brick or two or a ten out of it, to alleviate this.

I feel you, I'm in the same boat. I think its because the ability to mitigate recoil is much less so I expect it to be worse and over compensate or jump at the snappiness of it compared to stocked weapons

>Shoot Mosin
>decently accurate, all shots on the paper
>shoot .22 revolvers
>shots all over
>a good deal don't even make paper
>like a lot of them
>rent a Springfield 1911 in .45 ACP
>6 of 8 shots on the paper first try
How even?

Attached: image.jpg (1136x640, 617K)

The trigger is about 5 lbs on a 2 lb gun and you're holding it extended with really just one point of contact, the grip. Handguns take a lot more practice and skill to be effective with than rifles.

Just shut the fuck up. Doesn't matter what the pistol is, if you are applying the fundamentals and good technique you will make hits with any handgun. No human being is going to be more accurate than the mechanical accuracy of a glock or any proven pistol for that matter. You are not a vise or a ransom rest. Take your boring annoying bait somewhere else. You're the type of dude who has shit groups and blames it on the gun. Get better. If you can't make accurate shots with any common handgun, be it a 1911, glock, walther, revolver, whatever, you are a shit shot and changing pistols or upgrading parts is not going to make you more skilled. You would be able to pick up any handgun and run it effectively if you were good.

Every gun has a different feel and ergonomic along with different trigger pulls and inner mechanics. This all can change how someone can accurately shoot it. Just think bout how different a mosin works from a 1911

I'm mostly baffled as to how a .22 revolver with about the same kick as a pellet gun is less accurate than either of the other two guns I shot with much higher calibers. Is it just the gun or am I doing something wrong with them?

I flinch on the first 2-3 rounds of anything I fire. Really badly. It's come to the point that I just magdump at the start of every shooting session to get it out of my system.

It’s not just the amount of kick that has to do with your accuracy. Barrel length and the type of cartridge are big factors

To add - kick means absolutely nothing, as long as you aren’t flinching before the trigger pull. The bullet will most likely already hit the target before the kick impacts your body

Well, the revolvers have 4 and 5 inch barrels, both are mine. I was using CCI Stingers, I think. Both single action SAA clones. The 4 inch one is a Rohm Model .66 and the 5 inch is a heritage rough rider.
I may have also had the target out a bit further, it was in the same place it was for the 1911, and I used a .380 that day too and it shot fine at that distance. Is it just that .22 out of a handgun isn't accurate that far?

Different user, but the trigger always surprises me everytime. I just squeeze while exhaling, and hope for the best.

possible but unlikely

I find that most people, myself included, do not shoot precisely/accurately with handguns for 2 reasons. 1) you are not griping properly to start, and your grip is flexing probably just before the break.
2) you are thinking about aiming too much. Because pistols are hard to hold steady and aligned to the target, you are hyper-focused on aligning the sights and are losing track of other things. For instance, you might be relaxing your grip subconsciously or pulling the trigger very gently until you find the break. This is bad; pistols are lighter than their trigger pull weights so a smooth press back and good follow through is important. My experience in this was with DaSa guns and I found that SA wasn't any better than DA unless I pulled the trigger with the same force and intent; the long trigger pull was the issue. Sitting on the break in SA just caused me to jerk shots.

my recommendation is to change targets to a large featureless high contrast color shape. focus on firing with good grip with smooth trigger motion. use force enough to fire, but apply that force smoothly before the break and keeping going to you hit the wall at the end. dont even bother with hitting the center of a target until you can do this. just get a group.

I bet you flinch as a reflex to the slide coming back at you, just shoot more and it wont happen

thats why they say it should surprise you when the gun goes off, anything else and you are bracing for the impact.

this is both a conscious and unconscious effect.

Because rifles are inherently easier to shoot. Bracing the stock against your shoulder requires less dexterity than holding it in your hand, and rifle triggers weight about a third of pistol triggers.

>Is it just that .22 out of a handgun isn't accurate that far?
No you just have shitty guns rohm is saturday night special tier and heritage while not being as awful has cowboy sights which are trash.

Different user here. That is my case. I cant hit shit with pistols, even at 10 yeards, but can nail targets out at 300 with my rifle.

Flinching is enormously more apparent in pistols, especially if you are tightening your grip as you flinch. Get snap caps or get a revolver and mix empty casings in.

Muscle memory.

Grip angles.

It's just a different skill and kind of concentration. My first long gun was a 12 gauge and I never had a flinch at all. I had one for a long time with pistols until I learned to relax and did hours of dry firing. The worst time was when I fired a pistol for an hour or two and then the flinch translated to a 22lr rifle with 0 recoil. Anticipating recoil with your hands and getting back on target is much more difficult with pistols. Absorbing recoil with your body properly and having followthrough is more natural than keeping your hands flexed forward. It's the difference between something pushing your shoulder or slapping your hands. You've probably spent your whole life learning to adjust to things smacking you in the torso and shoulders. Hands are very sensitive things that consume a disproportionate amount of our neurological process to operate.

As for getting over it, the things that will really help are grip training, dry firing, and absorbing the fact that recoil -will not hurt your hands-. You may know it, but your primitive little brain is still afraid of fire and thunder and snakes. Exposure with proper form is the cure. If you cannot get over it then either switch to a 22 pistol for a while or do what I did and learn the hardest way possible. Get a 10mm poly compact and only shoot that for two years. When you finally pick up a duty steel 9mm you will at first be concerned that your pistol has fired multiple squibs in a row until you realize that the pistol just has no relative recoil. Then you can confidently laugh at every wristlet that complains about the *snap* of their Glock 26 being too harsh.

>asks if it’s a pistol with a reputation for snappy recoil
>responds with a page worth of asshurt
The absolute state of glockspergs.

>snapcaps
This, so much this. I shoot a fucking ton of handgun, and every once in awhile, I still notice myself doing it. So I mix in like 7 or 8 snaps into a mag, catch myself doing it, and correct it. It helps you consciously fix an unconscious reaction.

Because a rifle is big heavy and stable. It’s easier to pull the trigger on a heavy gun because the gun moves less with the pressure applied to the trigger.
Also, stop being a pussy and just act like the guns empty when shooting (don’t try and control recoil at all) just focus on slowly pulling the trigger while keeping the front sight aligned

Has Rohm always been bad? Mine's from the 60's, before Rohm sold RG to Umarex.

how do you "fix yourself doing it"?