First Handgun Help

I'm turning 21 next week and want to buy a new handgun for my birthday. I've narrowed it down between the Berreta 92fs and the HK P30/P30L, both DA/SA and in 9x19. Generally, I'm looking to use it as a range gun and for self defense but I might use it for CC as well. Before I buy anything though, does anyone here have any experience trying to CC either one? What holster do you recommend for either one? Which one would be the best first handgun to have? Also, I'm trying to find the best deal for each one and haven't really found much for P30s on gun.deals and the few deals I found were expired or out of stock. Is there any other places that I should try searching for deals? And should I even try asking my LGS to price a deal that's out of stock?

Attached: HK-P30LS-V3-Dasa-9mm-left.jpg (1200x846, 71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/CenterMassGroup
discord.gg/R3f7mGX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

go for a full size first, then get something for cc.

I got a glock for my first handgun. Looking back i’d get the beretta 92fs i have first. Only because in 60 years when i’m old and grey, i’ll still be able to shoot it and pass it down to my grandkids. The glock? I’d be iffy shooting that thing after 50 years of polymer degradation.

Meant to say price match a deal that's out of stock for the last sentence. Also, pic related, one of the HK P30L deals that went out of stock. Checked the website it was originally listed on and it's still out of stock.

Attached: P30L deal out of stock.jpg (1080x2220, 584K)

P30 all day every day. I have pic related down my pants right now. It conceals very well. The holster is made by Legacy Firearms Co. My dad's 92fs currently has an issue with the slide locking back. The lever walks itself out of the frame ~1mm and won't engage the follower on the mag. The 92fs is a really shit design. When it comes to engineering, the question "german or italian?" is a stupid one. The P30 really is an underrated handgun

Attached: 111478852.png (702x765, 1.15M)

I carry and compete with a P30L and I own a 92
For a first gun and range gun, get the 92.

It's got a better trigger, cheap mags, lots of aftermarket, and it's just a sweet shooting pistol.
Once you get pretty good go back and try the P30, it's not for everyone, but it will never let you down and it's crazy accurate.

>The 92fs is a really shit design.
Hi, unabashed HK fanboy here that shoots a P30L in competition and carries it (so, no bias against it) can you stop being a fucking retard? The 92 series is a fucking fantastic gun and you look like a clown calling it out.

Get something smaller like a PPQ

>How to learn bad habits

I just want to have the option of carrying it if I do get my cc permit (no constitutional carry here sadly).
Not too worried about it but the metal frame is a nice plus for that.
That's good to hear that it conceals nicely.
I agree that the Berreta has a nicer trigger but the P30 fits my hand perfectly. Did you do any work on the trigger of your P30? If so, how complicated was it? And is there a noticeable accuracy difference between the 2?

Buy German, Italians are just glorified mexicans

I shoot a P30L V1 with a match sear and medium weight trigger return spring. It was easy to replace the sear spring, trigger spring is a bit of a bitch.

GreyGuns makes a $99 drop in ""short"" reset kit that improves it a lot.
Accuracy depends on gun, the P99 can shoot 1.6" to 2.25" five shot groups depending on ammo, the Beretta is technically capable of the same but it's very inconsistent gun to gun.

If the ergonomic of the P30 make that huge a difference there's nothing wrong with the P30, but I just feel the 92 is a better learning gun. Personal opinion, P30 is also great and having more HK owners is pretty cool.

Well, I wonder if it's any harder for a DA/SA gun. I really do like the ergonomics of the P30 but including the trigger job, that's around $150 extra on the gun itself compared to the Berreta and that extra money could be spent on ammo. Why is this so hard to choose between? Also, are snapcaps a must have for improving shooting ability?

No need for snap caps, those guns are both safe to dry fire.
If you want to do ball and dummy drills that is a great idea, but not "required"
I'd suggest you dry fire 3x as much as you live fire

P30's are really tough to find right now. If I got one (goddamn do I want a sk) I'd take the V3 edition but I hear the LEM trigger is great.

>92fs is a really shit design
wut

So just dryfiring in my free time after work would be a great idea? Anything else I can do to improve aside from that and hitting the range? Also, does anyone know of any certain ammo that will not work with either gun? I want to buy relisble plinking and defense ammo, any recommendations for either?

Balance a quarter or an empty case on the front sight and practice your trigger pull with out knocking it off the gun. You can also go for a laser sight and watch if your point of aim moves as you squeeze the trigger. Everybody when they start are going to have faults they need to learn to null out. Identify yours and work on them. Most of the work can be done with out expending ammo, that;s why the other user said dry fire 3x as much as you shoot.

Get a Glock

Thanks for the advice. What faults should I be on the lookout for in specific and how do I nullify some common ones?

Binge watch this channel, especially the vid on sight focus, and the early vids.
He gets a little infomercial like in the newest couple vids but his lessons are legitimate info, especially early on.

youtube.com/user/CenterMassGroup

92s are solid guns, so as far as quality, you probably won't go wrong there, can't speak for the p30s, never shot one

you prob already know that the 92s are chunky, they can def be carried though, a bit uncomfortable for me, in generic IWB kydex, I generally prefer a big gun though, so I deal w/ some extra size

handle one of em first, if you haven't already

Vedder makes solid kydex holsters, Cook's is the one I'm trying now, works fine so far, kydex stuff pretty straightforward

Attached: DSCN2580.jpg (2272x1704, 892K)

That's a sexy pistol

I'll have to watch this in my free time today, thanks.
I have handled both and the 92 definitely feels a bit thicker but still very comfortable to hold. I also have to think that if I go with the Berreta, do I get the classic 92fs or the M9A1?
At least it's a win for aesthetics with either pistol. Berreta 92 for the classic 80s/early 90s aesthetics and the P30 has that modern utilitarian aesthetic to it.

if you like them both, id go beretta just bc of cheaper mags. plus the beretta is more of a classic while the p30 (while very nice) is the flavor of today.

M9a1 if you can

I'm kinda tempted with the Berreta just because it's quite a bit cheaper than the P30. Also, why is there a lack of P30s for sale? Gun.deals only has a few P30s while there is a shit ton more Berretas listed.

The P30 is only imported in batches once a year.

Are they not being produced at HKs new factory down in Georgia? Also, what time of year does this batch typically get imported?

Not yet, they're swamped with HK45 and M27IAR production

No idea, sorry.

>Why is there a lack of P30s for sale?
You have John Wick to thank for that

Get a HK MK23. No one who has bought one has regretted it. If you're going to go big, then go big. I honestly don't recommend you get a full size handgun with the option in the back of your mind to CC it. Those usually stay in the safe after the new shooter has got his big bois and compacts. Kind of a middle ground that only suits duty in an outside holster.

My 2 cents, anyway.

Were you born a retard? Or did you have to work at it.

P30, Mk23, and Beretta owner here, do not listen to that guy

Subtle troll
Good work

Theres no wrong choice imo. Either gun will work and youll be proud to own either. I understand price is a factor but you should ignore price in this instance and go with the one you want more.

I knew that they were producing M27s for the marines but didn't know they were producing HK45s. Why the HK45 over the P30 or VP pistols?
I should probably watch those movies.
I would definitely love to own one but I want something that isn't xbox hueg for a first handgun. Maybe one day, I'll have one but I want to get a 9 before I get a .45.
That's what's so difficult about choosing. At least I know what my next handgun purchase after I decide on this one is.

Attached: hkmark23tactical12gw.jpg (640x400, 50K)

Meant to clarify, my next handgun would be whatever the other option was that I didn't buy for my first one so I'll eventually have both a P30 and a Berreta 92.

>xbox hueg
It's not as big as you'd think, want a picture of mine with my P30L?

Nice

If it’s a range gun, get the 92. It’s going to feel a lot better to shoot in general. If it’s for CC, I would avoid both.

I’d also skip the P30. I traded my LEM/Todd set up almost immediately for a VP9 with straight 8s for 1/3 less and I couldn’t understand going back.
>swamped
>hk45 production
For whom? The 12 people across the US each month who buy one or all the SOF units who just decided to carry glocks instead after that program?

First P30 .... then carry P30SK
>Never Compromise

You're one of those "I think I know what I'm talking about, but can't shoot a clean FAST in under 8 seconds" guys aren't you.

This the compact? Thinking about getting a 92fs compact, 92a1 normal size or m9a3. Not for carry but just a more practical size

Beretta 92

>The lever walks itself out of the frame ~1mm and won't engage the follower on the mag
bs that was hashed out in the last hg your full of shit it cant happen

I can shoot it under 9 seconds when I’m on my game.
Gotta really exaggerate that press out, user.

discord.gg/R3f7mGX

>polymer degradation

Where does this retarded meme come from? The steel parts will rust away long long before then

God, it sounds like you're joking, I really hope you're joking.
Please be joking.

You're one of those "I can only afford one gun in ten years so it's the only one I ever take to the range by default which makes me a de facto expert shooter of it" guys aren't you.

No, I'm the "Stop calling me a collector just because I shoot five different guns each range trip you mall ninja faggot, Ayoob was a fudd when he said fear the man with one gun"

Then proceed to shoot

So 1 gun then with an autistic bent for structured but pointless drills. Check.

So you can't shoot and think your opinion matters then, gotcha.

Get the 92fs. The p30l is actually shit.

>structured but pointless drills.
You practice by shooting one shoot n' see target 50 times then plinking at rocks and clay pigeons I take it?

If you want it as a defensive firearm, get the M9A1, you'll want that rail for light mounting.

All plastics degrade due to UV. Steel doesn’t rust if you oil it properly

Steel in corrosion inhibitors such as cosmoline will last indefinitely. Hence why there are WW1 and WW2 surplus firearms in near perfect condition. Polymer degrades due to UV exposure

yeah, compact

>92fs or the M9A1?
whichever

Attached: 92compact.jpg (2272x1704, 951K)

That'd actually be nice to see, thanks user.
How is it shit exactly? It sounds like both are rather good designs and will serve me well.

you have no idea what you want/need/like until you spend time with whatever gun you're thinking about. You have no idea if you'll like the trigger, sights, capacity, reliability, replaceability, repairability, etc until you actually own one. Buy a glock, go from there

well the 92fs will be super hard to conceal unless you're a gigantic fatman who can hide even a pizza under his belly fat. Also don't let it get dirty or the open-slide design will fuck you

you could probably replace the glock frame very easily considering their popularity. Then again, there's a solid chance you wont actually need to replace either assuming the gun is properly maintained

I'm not reading through most of the thread, but I own a 92fs and CC it. It's doable at 5'9" and 150 pounds and physically fit. I carry appendix with a 20 round magazine, it's easy to conceal in a hoodie or something but a little much for a t-shirt, so I usually carry something smaller in the summer.

I use a cheapo Uncle Mike's holster. I'm not kidding. It conceals better than anything else by a gigantic margin. I carry a lot in running pants, the only reason it's even possible in clothes like that with a gun this size is how a holster like this softens the outline without being super bulky.

I wouldn't be willing to appendix carry anything without a manual safety, especially not with a fabric holster, though.

The guy I was replying said the P30 is shit, not the 92fs. But yes, when I held one at my LGS, it was a bit thicker than the P30 and I am definitely no gigantic fatman so ccing might be a problem. Didn't think about the open slide causing cleaning issues, thanks for pointing that out.
Thanks user, you're the first person I've heard that CCs a 92fs. What made you decide to carry a 92fs over anything else?

try renting the guns in question first before making a decision
a lot of things you may take for granted on paper may really bug you once you actually get your hands on it
for example, i fucking hate slide mounted safeties and didn't know that until i actually held one and used it, you might have that problem or you might not, but until you actually manipulate it you won't know

i also missed the other obvious reason why you should handle the guns first is simply to understand the size of them, the 92 is a big gun and it's not lightweight either
holding it is not a big deal but going through an eight hour work day with a ~2.25 lb gun hanging on you isn't pleasant

The open slide has never caused problems for me, either in military service or with my personally owned pistol.

CCing one is definitely not common. I chose it because of how well I shoot it, it just feels perfectly balanced and natural. The trigger is good, especially with a D spring kit installed (cheap and extremely easy to do yourself), and it all just adds up to be a really good pistol. I've tried a lot of other more common options (not a P30) and found them to be acceptable, but just not as fast and accurate. Part of it is personal preference, but part of it is that the gun really is just excellent. This gun or one similar to it with 20+1 rounds of good hollowpoints is about as capable of a concealed pistol as exists, if you can carry something this big.

You have to practice drawing and disengaging the safety, but it's not hard to train enough to do that quickly. I do it and have my wife time me so my times are a rough estimate, but I'm usually right under a second from her saying go to the first dry fire.

The user saying you have to be a fatman to carry this is wrong. Fat people can't conceal something like this, you have to have shoulders bigger than your waist or it isn't going to happen in any useful way.

Anyway, it's an unusual choice, but I like it and I've had no difficulty in carrying it, even in clothes that people traditionally struggle to conceal weapons in. I'd recommend it if you're willing to put in a little extra thought for something that you expect might save your life.

Attached: 1538828310665.jpg (990x660, 187K)

I forgot to mention, but you can also make your draw a lot faster if you do it two handed by positioning the thumb of your non-dominant hand to disengage the safety as you draw the pistol upwards. This only works because of where the safety is and how it was designed. I practice drawing and manipulating it one handed, though.

If you're ever wearing light clothes that can't support the weight, you can also wear a belt underneath them with the holster attached to that to support it. People do this with all kinds of guns that aren't as big or heavy as this one.

I would love to rent them but the only range that rents guns is a hour and a half away.
Thanks for the explanation, user. I really should try both out on the range but from holding them both, the 92fs is definitely nice to hold (though the P30 was a bit better). The easy and cheap trigger job also sounds like a nice plus too, compared to the P30. How was your experience with the M9 while you were in? I hear a lot of servicemen complaining about it because they're all beat to shit but is that true?

I'm still in, I originally learned how to shoot it from experienced NCOs and a federal law enforcement agency tactical team that came in to train my unit. They encouraged us to keep an open mind about the pistol and by the end of the (very short, this was just a couple days' event) training, I could hit a steel 8"x10" at about 60 yards with it. That isn't super impressive or anything, but that was from very minimal training. I train others to use it and other weapons now, but I consistently find that people are the most clueless about the M9. Pistols are harder to shoot than rifles, DA/SA requires explanation, and the weapon is maligned by thousands of stories from people who don't know how to shoot and blame their tools.

When I was in that training class, my M9 was incredibly worn. Everything was polished smooth and shiny and when I tapped in another magazine the slide release would disengage and it would chamber a round. It was completely beat to shit, but it worked fine.

The complaints are primarily low skill idiots blaming their weapon and people parroting them, or people who had a bad experience because they got a weapon that needed maintenance or magazines that were damaged.

Attached: 1540159993102.jpg (779x938, 116K)

Interesting, will they surplus the M9s after the M17 becomes widespread? Also, even if I don't pick the 92fs as my first handgun, it'll be my second handgun.

>How is it shit exactly?
15 round mags when it could have 17, super shit trigger pull in both DA and SA, long trigger reset, poly trigger, recoils more than you'd expect, grip panels slide juuuuust enough to be bothersome. There are others but those are the main gripes. I will give it props for being a decent tool for training with subpar guns
>92fs is 15 rounds too
Yeah, but flush 17 rounders exist.

Source: I have one.

Attached: IMG_20190428_145851910~2.png (630x462, 545K)

>recoils more than you'd expect
You are a gigantic pussy, the P30L is one of the softest shooting 9mm pistols I own.

You are a triple retard limp wristing bitch ass faggot and don't deserve to have an opinion.

Defending that purchase a little too hard friendo. I expected it to be amazing anf BTFO of all my other guns, but side-by-side with a Px4 and an M&P2.0, the P30L recoiled more. Beretta's forgotten middle child and Not-Glock™ shot softer.

As a Px4, P30L, G17, 92, etc... owner, you a bitch. I own a lot of 9mm pistols and can confidently call you a faggot.

Attached: mn4l8_1.webm (720x480, 1.86M)

>That'd actually be nice to see, thanks user.

Attached: 20190429_201621-1209x1612.jpg (1209x1612, 468K)

P30L sitting on top of Mk23

Attached: 20190429_201554-1209x1612.jpg (1209x1612, 443K)

Huh, that is not as xbox hueg as I thought. What sights are you using on that P30L?

LPA adjustable fiber optic.

>M9A1 vs Mk23

Attached: 20190429_201929-1209x1612.jpg (1209x1612, 506K)

Attached: 20190429_202006-1209x1612.jpg (1209x1612, 434K)

Attached: 20190429_202105-1612x1209.jpg (1612x1209, 298K)

Got any size comparison pics of the M9A1 and the P30L by any chance?

P30L is a bit shorter, a bit thinner, and just smaller in every dimension. But not by much.

Attached: 20190429_202254-1209x1612.jpg (1209x1612, 508K)

It's garbage bud. You could go as far as to say felt recoil is subjective, but there is absolutely no defending the trigger. HK shit the bed really hard with the p30 trigger. A flexing, poly dumpster fire with a reset so long you need to catch a bus to get to the end. There are actually Taurus pistols with a better trigger.

Please PLEASE try to remember, the people giving you advice are idiots.
This is a Jow Forums meet, these are the people telling you "it kicks too much" and "it's too big to carry" or criticizing the triggers

Attached: 1548530607277.webm (888x500, 1.26M)

Oh, which one of these is you? The trigger isn't a good target trigger but you just suck.

Attached: IMG_20180902_052541_429.jpg (3024x2710, 1.33M)

When I was a better shot I've shot the same group with a stock Glock 23. Not saying that grouping isn't impressive, it is very impressive, but what matters most with pistols is trigger time and familiarity. Most pistols(and guns in general) are more accurate than the shooter. Posting a picture of a good grouping doesn't really mean much considering that the shooter's skill is clearly above OP, as he is a newgunz.

I carry a P30 every day almost for work. extremely reliable great gun. I have a safariland ALS holster for it.

always remember

>When I was a better shot I've shot the same group with a stock Glock 23

Yes, yes, and you have a hot supermodel girlfriend but she lives in Canada and we can't call her because she doesn't speak English.
Please shut up.

What do you do for work?

Believe what you want, but I have. I got close to doing it again last weekend with my glock 19, though I had a couple of fliers. I don't frame all my good shooting sessions in the event to post them on Jow Forums for bragging rights. If you deny that most shooters are more inaccurate then what they are shooting, you are a fucking HK fanboy trying to justify their purchase.

I work for money

Yep, sure you did.
>I can totally get close, there's just 2/5ths of the rounds not getting anywhere close! You're just a fanboy!!! Guns are more accurate than the shooter anyway!

I will defend any pistol against undo criticism. A Beretta, Glock, HK, Walther, S&W, all great guns with shit memes hung on them by people like you.

This started with you categorically shit panning the P30, then getting told off with video proof of it being a flat shooter with a fast trigger, changing your story to it being a flexy shitty bad trigger, getting told off in the target shooting department, and now you're just grasping at vague phrases and claims to keep going.

Or, let me guess, "That wasn't ME user, that was another user, I wasn't wrong it was some other guy you replied to"

No that was me. Not gonna bullshit you. And it wasn't 2/5, it wast 3/5, and I was shooting fairly quick. I'm not going to say that a single action trigger pull is better than a glock or any striker trigger pull, but it all comes down to training with your gun. You can shoot that well with most pistols on the market.

>This started with you categorically shit panning the P30, then getting told off with video proof of it being a flat shooter with a fast trigger, changing your story to it being a flexy shitty bad trigger, getting told off in the target shooting department, and now you're just grasping at vague phrases and claims to keep going.

Wait, I didn't read this part because it seemed like rambling bullshit. That wasn't me
We don't have anyway to verify that, but it wasn't. I just hate when people say that X gun is god's gift to handgun shooters.

>X gun is god's gift to handgun shooters.
I told OP to buy the Beretta, I'm just defending the P30 because I don't like people talking unfair shit about guns.

>That wasn't me
So you just HAPPENED to slide in to the conversation the moment he stopped posting? And replied to my last response to him, and picked up exactly where he left off?

Alright, but this should be a lesson for the future, the phrase "Not the guy you're responding to but..." is used here for a reason.

>it wast 3/5, and I was shooting fairly quick
So you just kinda spammed bullets and two got really close to eachother?
I, uh, don't think that's how this works.

Attached: 1459495050477.gif (250x250, 1.82M)

>The complaints are primarily low skill idiots blaming their weapon and people parroting them
This just summed up 90% of all posts on Jow Forums

Attached: 20180819_171352.png (612x480, 40K)