Hey Jow Forums

What advice would you give to new gun owners trying to get into the hobby?

Attached: 1521849025553.jpg (720x549, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Model_10
thesurvivalistblog.net/smith-and-wesson-model-10-review/
youtube.com/watch?v=lGcr5JsYcW0
youtube.com/watch?v=jsqKeQhobOM
youtube.com/watch?v=WyuWY3NU3e8
gunbroker.com/Revolvers/search?PageSize=96&Sort=4&View=1&mfg=1000259&mo=3001877&Condition=4
youtube.com/watch?v=X1nu5SWdV4E
youtube.com/watch?v=CEHtRkyTe-0
youtube.com/watch?v=BaiGSDiaI_w
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Lurk before posting, read the sticky, use the QTDDTOT, YouTube.

Stop being a frogposting faggot and kys

Trigger discipline, muzzle awareness, treat all guns as if they're loaded, and always remember to clear it properly. Don't ever get complacent on the basics

Never really been on Jow Forums, so I apologize.

Remove the mag and then rack the slide back.

dumb frogposter

Take a class. It's worth it to spend 50-200 bucks to have a professional teach you one on one the very basics of firearms safety and handling. Keep your finger off the trigger until you have your target lined up in your sights and have confirmed nothing is behind it, and I don't give a fuck if you're kidding around or if you swear your gun is unloaded, don't fucking point it at me EVER. It's not a toy to place with, it's not a prop to pose in pictures with, it's a goddamn weapon, respect it and take care of it and it'll take care of you

Safety first and foremost, healthy respect of firearms, you’ll never just buy one.

Enjoy!

Always follow your safety rules. Always check a gun over before you buy it. Always try a gun out as a rental before you buy it. Don't CCW a .22LR pistol. Make your daily carry your first purchase and spend money on decent ammo until you are very, very good with your CCW before you buy more guns. Buy more spare magazines than what comes with the gun. Always have spare ammo. Always carry anywhere you legally can, and always practice self-restraint. Do not shoot drunk or otherwise inebriated. Get a good holster. Maintain your FUCKING EQUIPMENT. Don't be a dick in public. Be nice to people who handle your food. And call your mother. Might be your last chance, you never know.

Make sure you get a gun chambered in a round you can afford. For example, 5.56, 7.62×39 and 9mm ammo is cheap. 308, 10mm, etc. not so much. So do the research.
Also YouTube is your friend.

Spend more money on ammo and shooting than being a faggot who collects a bunch of safe queens and lets their NEET kids shitpost here.

This. Git gud with- in this order- your daily carry, a 10 or 12ga pumpgun, an intermediate rifle and a full-size rifle, and always have plenty of ammo on hand for all of them before buying a fun gun. It's just like your groceries- essentials first.

read sticky, learn the four rules, learn how to clean a gun, and git rid of your shitty frog pics

keep frogposting
safety safety safety safety
4 weapon safety rules.
google types of malfunctions and how to treat them for your weapons (it's not hard)

other than that just git gud. don't spend so much on guns you can't afford to shoot. or do and post pics.
learn how to maintain your stuff.

Buy a pistol, obtain three mags, get a holster that doesn't suck, train. Average armed criminal puts 50 rounds down range a month, be better.

Keep frogposting muh dude. That said, it depends on what you’re wanting to do, backyard plinking, carrying, comp, etc. either way, familiarize yourself with weapons and taking a class or 2 is a good start

safety
but also learn how to aim and once you go shooting, take not of where your groups are
this can help you determine what you're doing wrong so you can work on it, instead of guess work or aiming off target to hit it.

no one here actually has guns btw

Attached: 1517843670178.jpg (400x388, 65K)

Buy a gun
I really didn't know sweet fuck all about guns (other than I liked them) until I bought an SKS, that one little SKS sparked my desire to learn so I looked up everything about SKS's from videos to fun facts, took it apart dozens of times a week for fun and slowly learned how all the components worked together and what they were called.
Many years later and from the little SKS I've grown into a full fledged Jow Forums autist with a never ceasing hunger to consume every little scrape of firearms knowledge and trivia he can get his hands on.

Attached: AVE NEX ALEA.jpg (2816x2112, 473K)

Shoot to kill.

Attached: 1548099389541.gif (96x107, 6K)

go to local gun range take the $100 intro class

Start with a cheap beater so if you fuck up the cleaning process then its not a big deal

Attached: 1542652356074.jpg (583x892, 65K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Model_10

thesurvivalistblog.net/smith-and-wesson-model-10-review/

youtube.com/watch?v=lGcr5JsYcW0

youtube.com/watch?v=jsqKeQhobOM

youtube.com/watch?v=WyuWY3NU3e8

gunbroker.com/Revolvers/search?PageSize=96&Sort=4&View=1&mfg=1000259&mo=3001877&Condition=4

www.thesixgunjournal.net/a-revolver-buyers-checklist/

youtube.com/watch?v=X1nu5SWdV4E

youtube.com/watch?v=CEHtRkyTe-0

youtube.com/watch?v=BaiGSDiaI_w

Attached: 15b5b4c8ecdba7464cf08ed1c7c06bc7.jpg (983x1024, 192K)

op feel free to ignore this person.
this is one of them boomers you've likely heard about. they're stuck in the 1900s.
your firearm should have as much polymer as possible. rifle? shotgun? pistol? musket?? polymer.

damn cultists.

Attached: Rest in Piece's.gif (500x507, 1.2M)

For your first semi-auto rifle I'd go with a rifle based on a military design because a lot of times they'll be easier to field strip and clean than semi-auto rifles descended from other hunting rifles. AR-patterns, SKS, AK, etc are all extremely easy to take apart, clean, and put back together.

I made the mistake of buying a FNAR in 7.62x51 instead of buying an AR-10 type rifle for the same money. The FNAR is a good shooter but many AR-10's shoot just as good if they have a quality barrel and BCG. The FNAR is based on the Browning BAR semi-auto hunting rifle that was designed in the late 60's and because the gun wasn't really meant to be "field serviceable" it is a huge pain in the ass to strip down and clean requiring a number of tools and there are many small parts that are easy to lose if you're not careful. In contrast, the AR pattern rifles were designed with field service in mind and are stupidly easy to break down to the point that you can clean / lube almost all working parts of the guns just by popping one pin out of the gun. My SKS is also extremely easy to field strip and clean because it was designed to be used and maintained by illiterate conscripts fighting in 3rd world hellholes.

>1
Buy once cry once. Don't skimp on getting what you really want.
If there's a $1000 gun you drool over, and a similar one for 500 (the image in my head is a wasr vs getting an arsenal ak), don't buy the 500 dollar gun because you'll only delay yourself getting what you really want, and probably hawking the $500 gun for 300-400 on top of that.
That being said, there's nothing wrong with wasrs, just an example of a situation that would apply to my personal tastes. Plenty of people prefer what the wasr has to offer as far as aesthetics.
>2
Only buy guns that get you hard, don't buy stuff that doesn't excite you every time you see it. Anything else is a waste of money.
>3
Stay off of mount stupid(pic related), learn facts and gain personal experience before you spout bullshit repeated by other people on mount stupid.
Keep in mind that for every good poster on Jow Forums, there's another one who's right atop mount stupid. Not everything they repeat is false, but they will be very willing to spout any dumb thing they hear that seems plausible in their uneducated heads.

Attached: 1493800493791.png (613x481, 43K)

> Fuck up cleaning your gun so bad you break it

Attached: 4c4b581f525c54b88d6d0d11948e5b87cf94890ef0ceab6e7481911b265fba84.png (300x286, 36K)

> the image in my head is a wasr vs getting an arsenal ak

Get out of MY head.

Attached: ak1.jpg (1920x1440, 800K)

Its easy to get caught up in the spirit of Jow Forums, and Jow Forums in general. Always conceal your power level, dont tell everyone you meet that you are a Jow Forumsommando. Dont act like a retard with a gun around experienced shooters, either. It makes you look immature, and makes young gun owners look bad. Treat your firearm with respect, and when it comes time to use it shoot to kill. Id reccomend lurking this board a lot, you can find a lot of information that way.

If you want to get into guns, buy a .22 handgun or a .22 bolt action rifle. They're really cheap to buy and really cheap to shoot.
If you want to get "a gun" buy a 9mm handgun or an intermediate rifle.
Spend more time on your handgun skills than rifle skills.

Start off with a CPO sig handgun. They're cheap, reliable, under 1 yr warranty, fun to shoot and modular for beginners to learn about handguns from inside out.

Based Model 10 copy-poster

Practice quick drawing
Practice mag change

Practice dry firing after doing mag changes with rounds in mag to know when your chamber is empty

Do drop tests with chambered round to insure your gun is good to go

Talk to your local gun store guys, they know a lot

COMPLETELY disassemble your pistol/ rifle and put it back together

Practice press checks with round in chamber

>spring gets fucking yeeted and or a hammer or something snaps down and breaks
>get new gun for mcdonalds wage

You need a budget and you need to know that it can't all go to the gun. You also need to budget for
>extra magazines
>storage cabinet/safe (if you do not live alone)
>instruction (it's a lot faster than learning by shooting. No really.)
>Ammunition
>cleaning tools
>cleaning chemicals
>RANGE TIME
people forget that last one. Yeah some of us can just pop to public land and shoot our hearts content, that's not most people. Most of us pay for range time. It's not the ammo that's the most expensive part of shooting for most of us, it's the range fees. And if your other option is driving for a long while and that is its own cost.

Other big thing. There are so many guns because they each have only so many jobs they can fill. Life's about tradeoffs. 22 is great training and small game not ideal for home defense. A reliable AR is great for home defense but the ammo cost will keep you from shooting as much (unless your budget is huge). The 9 mm carbines split the difference. So try to figure out what you want out of this gun so you can ask more specific questions.

It's a great hobby that doesn't have to break the bank and is very rewarding. Best of luck user.

1) Once you get into shooting you will sooner or later come across some kind of rare 'dream gun" that makes your dick diamonds. It will be expensive, so you'll be debating whether or not to buy it. FUCKING BUY IT. If you don't then you'll be kicking yourself for years over the one that got away, and that you'll probably never see for sale again, or if you do it will cost much much more.

2) If you're getting into rare collector pieces, especially milsurps and antiques, then do your homework before you spend any money. Buy the $50 book, or better yet multiple books, before you start dropping money on the guns themselves. That way you don't risk paying real money for a fake or a mis-advertised peice, and you know how to spot rarities being sold by people who aren't aware what they have.