What do you think of this? Does the inverted hand provide any practical benefit or is he just trying to be cool?

What do you think of this? Does the inverted hand provide any practical benefit or is he just trying to be cool?

Attached: C4ecWqZWAAAVWZP.jpg (979x1200, 295K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amagicalplace.wikia.com/wiki/Sticky
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He can make some deffensive cuts with that. It's practical enough if he's trained with it, otherwise not.
>muh particular style is better/the best
means nothing when you don't train with it

Attached: serveimage.jpg (640x272, 19K)

we wuz ninja kangz

Holding it sideways and pointing it at some calvary, other than that idk.

>muh sword

i would guess balance

>Does the inverted hand provide any practical benefit
Considering how limited his range of motion is and that he can't perform the vast majority of strikes from that stance, I seriously doubt that it's practical.
That said, a ~7' katana isn't practical in the first place, so his hand grip isn't going to make much difference.

>he don’t know bout the moorish inverted black hand technique
Peasant

he looks unironically cool with those clothes, never thought they'd fit a black person

>There are some other schools that are fond of extra-lond swords. From the point of view of my martial art, I see them as weak schools. The reason for this is that these other schools do not know about prevailing over others by any means necessary; considering the length of the sword its virtue, they must want their swords to be extra long so that they can beat opponents from a distance. The conventional saying about winnign by even an inch in reach is something that refers to people know nothing about martial arts. Therefore, to try to win from a distance by an advantage is sword length without knowing the principles of martial arts is something that people do because of weakness of heart. That is why I consider this weak martial art. At times when you are engaged with an opponent at close quarters, the longer your sword is, the harder it is to strike with it; you cannot swing the sword back and forth enough, and it becomes a burden.
1/2

Those warriors from hammerfell have curved swords

2/2
>Then you are in a worse situation than someone wielding a small sidearm swor. or those who prefer extra-long swords, they have their own reason, but it is logical for themselves alone; from the point of view of the real Way of the world, it is illogical. Will you necessarily lose if you use a shorter long sword and not an extra-long sword? And suppose the physical situation is such that above, below and /or the sides are blodked; or suppose the social situation is one where only side arms are worn; to wish for an extra-long sword under these conditions is a bad attitude, because it is to doubt the science of martial arts. Furthermore, there are people who lack the requisite physical strength. Since ancient times it has been said that great includes the small, so it is not a matter of indiscriminately disliking length; it is a matter of disliking the attitude of bias in favor of length.

Man, even Steven Segal just cringed at how delusionally mall ninja this is.

Purely theoretically from fumbling about with my hands and trying to visualize it, it seems like he could throw a stronger sideways swing that way.

>t. Musashi

So that's why knife beats bat.

3/2 because word limit is ass
>In the context of large-scale military science, an extra-long sword is a large contingent, a shorter one is a small contingent. Is a battle between a small contingent and a large contingent impossible? There are many examples of a small contingent willing over a large ccontingent. Thus in my individual school ther is an aversion to a narrow, biased attitude. This calls for careful examination

-Miyamoto Musashi, 1643

Underrated post.

>t. man who never fought in a battle.

>a long string of duels
>many 1 vs many fights
>the entire Toyotomi/Tokugawa war

sweetie...

>Toyotomi/Tokugawa war
He didn't fight in that.

>many 1 vs many fights
Didn't happen, stop watching anime.

>a long string of duels
Irrelevant given that he's talking about war and self defense, not play acting. Not to mention that half the duels he fought probably didn't happen.

If it was a good idea, every swordmen would do so.
Its not just a bad idea its a lethal one if that was tried in combat.
No duelist, competitive sport or text shows such nonsense.
It makes it more likely for this idiot to be disarmed.
Just poke him with a spear and see if that style wouldn't be broken, and his arm with it.

Never seen a nigurai before?

Sensible chuckle

Based Musashi poster.

Oh boy. Here we go.
>he didn't fight in that
>In 1614–1615, Musashi participated in the war between the Toyotomi and the Tokugawa.
10 seconds on the search engine of your choice.

>Didn't happen, stop watching anime.
There is an entire group of scholars who say you're full of shit. Duels were common in Tokugawa era, just like they were in the western world up until recently. The participants would even set rules, such as if they were fighting to the death or until the other submits.

>Irrelevant given that he's talking about war and self defense, not play acting.
The quote from Musashi is entirely relevant to the discussion of long swords and how they are held, where the fuck are you getting play acting from?

>Not to mention that half the duels he fought probably didn't happen.
Please cite a source to back this claim. There is a veil of mystery that surrounds Musashi's life but many of the duels he fought in were recorded by whoever was in charge of keeping records of the schools he would storm.

I'm not at all familiar with holding a sword like that but I've seen similar techniques with staves and I swear I've seen people hold poleaxes in a similar manner but those are different beasts. It's probably just a specialized cutting technique, possibly even just for practice to work out muscles that don't usually get focused exercise.

WE

DID IT REDDIT!

It helps with stability of the cut with that heavy of a weapon. Also used in polearm fighting

I mean, it's not going to help against the cops in the majority of encounter situations anyway, so I'm gonna say the latter.

lol is that Lupe? Would make sense if it was

It's not a katana, it's a nodachi; and it's not so much a sword as a pole weapon.

>41323550
There are a few surviving schools of nodachi. None that I know of hold the sword like that, they hold it like a katana with a very long grip.

He fought, probably, but it was most likely the Kyushu campaigns of those wars rather than the major battles in Honshu.

Fights with many people trying to get the drop on one certainly did happen, and often resulted in the one guy dying. Supposedly he got away from one such encounter.

Its hard to verify "duels" though we do know that Musashi had real fights. He was employed by a daimyo in Kyushu. The problem is getting details of these fights as many accounts are contradictory.

Another thing is many of his duels were not to the death, but were contests of skill.

Attached: 1545747862463.jpg (236x263, 17K)

>mall ninja
>killed over 70 people with a katana or a big stick just to insult them for using huge stupid swords
The increasingly long blades were just an escalation of fencing schools that specialized in duels. Musashi killed some bitch with a boat oar to prove the point that they were fighting like children playing keep-away. They swung the huge ass blade in a long arc, he sidestepped it, and fucked them up because there was no way to counter with the blades at close range without drawing a companion blade.

His specific stance there is just to look cool, however dual-reverse grip is actually decent for some specific cuts. In particular, I feel it let's you easily put a lot of power into the horizontal swing by using your torso. Generally though no, just hold it normally.
t. odachifag

IIRC Musashi killed some bitch with a boat oar because he forgot his sword and the person he was fighting happened to use a relatively long sword but he was also a relatively large man.

Musashi was taller than most nips of his day, and he won using a big sti k, because of reach advantage.
>Tall guy
>Longer oar/stick
Vs
>Short sword nip
>short katana

swordshit isn't Jow Forums

swords tended to get smaller during the heyday of dueling, the high point of the nodachi was the nambokucho period, when open formation warfare between small armies was the norm.

People seize this one story (which may be apocryphal) as if it represents Musashi's entire career. It does not.

Welcome to Jow Forums, Jow Forums's weapons board. Our board centers around weapons, armor, and other myriad military technology. While guns are the primary topic, threads involving any other sort of weapons, from swords and knives to tanks and jet fighters, come up frequently as well. If you're new, we suggest reading the sticky at amagicalplace.wikia.com/wiki/Sticky to get acquainted with the board's subject matter.

newfag

You need to go back.

It looks like an extremely retarded attempt at pic related. Neither hand position makes any sense.

Attached: Hasso no kamae.png (399x307, 74K)

that's because he's an african doing a bad imitation of a pop-culture take on an East Asian martial art.

Nigga, Musashi was a duelist. He viewed the use of the sword through civilian bouts not battlefield use, therefore his opinion of great swords is worthless. If there wasn't a need for large swords then many cultures wouldn't have created them.

Protip: The best counter against cavalry are not spearmen or pikemen, but highly trained and specialized sword units.

lol bet that nigga woulda been even better if he used a nodachi

Yes it is. Does the mere thought of any physical exertion send you into a diabetic rage?

>swordshit isn't Jow Forums
Paging K.M......

Didn't work for Kojiro Sasaki.

I unironically wish I could be like Miyamoto Musashi, but modern day swordplay is cringey as fuck, I'm shit at poetry, and I can barely draw a stick man

>Protip: The best counter against cavalry are not spearmen or pikemen, but highly trained and specialized sword units.

I would love a source on this.

Machiavelli in Art of War mentions this conclusion reached by military theorists of his time and the famous Ming Dynasty general Qi Ji Guang reached the same conclusion in New Treatise on Military Efficiency.

Learn to read, retard

OK, all I was saying is that the events were less fantastical than user believed and that the use of an oar was circumstantial and not intentional.