Why do ARs jam so much?

My own guns only jam when I didn't seat the bullet correctly or just a shitty Ramline mag for my 10/22. My AK jammed only once when my brother rode the bolt forward (FTF).
Why do ARs seem to jam all the time? Shitty ammo? Shitty BCG? Nearly every other time I'm with one of my friends their AR jams on them too.

Attached: jammed.png (718x368, 28K)

More than likely, it was user error and it's easier to chalk it up as a jam in news stories.

Or maybe he was using a drum mag or something.

>maybe he was using a drum mag or something
I was thinking that too. It seems like most drum mags for any gun are a waste.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a "hate on ARs" thread. It just seems like a lot of the tacticool shit people use or put on their ARs just cause them to jam. Maybe the action is perfectly reliable, but all the modifications to them make them unreliable.
I recently bought a bunch of lowers, but don't know what trigger groups, uppers, etc to put on them since the market is flooded with shit.

Attached: ImGAY.png (695x924, 1.17M)

So as you are OP, making a thread about mass shooters gun jamming, then following up saying you purchased a bunch of lowers because you are concerned about the same thing? Are you planning on something?

I rarely have a jam in my ar15 while my friends seem to have a jam every time they shoot. These are the things that I noticed they do that probably contribute: Using steel case ammo, inserting the magazine like they are putting a baby in its crib and not slapping it on the ass to make sure its in tight, not slapping the back on their magazines after loading to shift the ammo back, not cleaning and lubing their gun after every range day.

Also not slapping the bolt release after they put in a fresh mag and using the charging handle to close the bolt

In the last month and a half, I've fired ~1200 steel case, ~1000 xm193, and ~500 various .223 in 4 or 5 sessions through my poverty pony PSA/Anderson build. In that time I've cleaned the gas key once, and wiped down the bolt and barrel with GI solvent, an old t shirt, and rem oil twice. In each session I shoot it enough to get hot (50+ rds/minute). I use gen 2 pmags that I drop in the dirt, gravel, mud, snow, puddles, etc without wiping down. I have shot in weather ranging from 20 and snowing to 35 and raining to 70 and sunny (thanks Illinois spring). I have had zero malfunctions.

Yeah ya know, figured I could go in akimbo style and have a third on my back in condition fabric in case one jams.
Joking aside, it wasn't even a "mass shooting".

>slapping the back on their magazines after loading to shift the ammo back
I rarely see people do this, but I do it all the time. I'll stay away from steel if I start to notice a problem. Steel seems to be a common factor when my buddies gun jams. Usually FTF.

Got a box of those too. PSA's been running the sale for awhile now and I've heard good things about Magpul mags.
Would you mind telling me more about your build? I'm new to the platform and don't want to make the mistakes everyone else seems to be having.

Attached: ClIpzZ.png (694x928, 1.29M)

>go to local idpa competition
>third of the guns jam or have some kind of problem
I just don't understand. My ar has never had a single problem after 3k rounds(mostly steel case). Are they buying cheap guns or not cleaning?

From what I've heard, competition guns are running on a minimal amount of gas pressure to reduce recoil as much as possible, which means that any unforeseen circumstances may cause failures to cycle.

Noguns, so excuse the shit question, but would using .223 Winchester in an AR chambered for 5.56 NATO increase the likelihood of some sort of jam? .223 generates less pressure, so would that affect how the gas system works?

I've heard this on here all the time but I've never had a jam in my AR, even running dirty suppressors. The only AR I've managed to caused a FTF in was my .22 lr S&W one, while using rem thunderbolt (fuck that ammo) after more than a thousand rounds of not cleaning.
But in the case of mass or public shootings, their weapons malfunctioning aren't that odd since half the time they barely know how the gun works, so it's safe to say it's never been oiled or cleaned in any way

Just a guess, but I often get the impression that mass shooters dont prepare much. So the ARs that end up jamming probably haven't been broken in or aren't being used properly (poor ammo choice or using the charging handle to close the bolt), maybe never been fired before they commit the act.

it wouldn't affect it unless the gas system and gun are marginal already.

Chances are the shooter used a shit bargain bin gun with no lube and no experience.

The lower is just standard stripped Anderson. Upper, buffer, and barrel was the first entry by "sort by price" in the 16" carbine gas tube "barreled upper assemblies" category on palmetto. Same for bolt carrier group, charging handle, and lower parts kit. A2 flash hider, A2 gas block and front sight post. Only thing slightly non-standard is an end plate with QD sling point. Furniture is Magpul MOE, flip up rear mbus sight, trs-25 red dot lower 1/3 cowitnessed.

Make sure to torque everything properly. If you're using an armorer's wrench as an extension on your torque wrench, make sure the armorer's wrench is a 90 degree angle on the torque wrench, that way the torque remains the same and you don't have to convert for angles and shit. Stake your castle nut after you torque it. If you fuck with your gas block, stake it. Put a little bit of grease (I used regular automotive grease and it works fine) on all the springs, and all of the points of contact between moving parts that don't get carbon buildup. Put a tiny tiny amount of grease on the contact points between the sear, disconnector, trigger, and hammer. Light coat of oil on everything else. if you apply grease like I said, you don't need nearly as much oil as you think you do. I've seen Mall ninja morons at three gun competitions who are literally dripping oil out of their lower. Don't be like this.

If you spend more than $500 (plus optics and whatever meme queen shit you want - I got a BAD lever and some QD sling shit) on a 16" 1 MOA AR-15 with reliability like I described in my previous post, you did something wrong.

My assumption:
>The shittiest ammo possible
>The cheapest rifle possible
>Cheapest worst mags possible
And the big one
>The shooter probably never cleans the original manufacturing grease and filth from the rifle
First time I shot my first AR a bunch of years ago this exact thing happened. I assume this is what is going on.

Probably using a cheap-ass stendo mag.

This is typically true

OP, best advice without knowing your budget is to get a 16" barrel with midlength gas system. This gives you the ideal balance between low recoil and decent reliability. Brands that are good to go and can be bought at your leisure without worry from low to high include PSA, Delton, Aero, and BCM. All of these companies sell parts kits to finish your lowers and all won't let you down. Find something that looks cool and fits your budget and enjoy.

A word on mass shooters guns jamming. IMO I think a lot of it is that you get retards who buy a cheap AR and then never shoot it before their attack. Guns out of the box like to jam due to the parts not being mated and frequently not being lubricated at all. I've fixed multiple ARs at the range with nothing but a squirt of Ballistol, just something to keep in mind.

Forgot to mention, download your mags two or three rounds

I've seen it happen on rifle length gas systems a few times, solution was a lighter buffer.

Fuck Remshit Thunderbolt, literally filled with sand, the absolute worst ammo ever.

Where to download mags? Gib link plz

I think you're shitposting, but in the interest of helping any lurking newfags:

Put 27 or 28 rounds into your 30 round magazines

This is old fuddlore, unless you're using old GI mags without the enhanced follower this doesn't do anything but lose you ammo

Usually people who do these shootings are very gun illiterate. They're completely uninterested in firearms as anything more than a tool to cause a lot of harm with. A dearth of basic knowledge in weapons handling and maintenance, coupled with an adrenaline rush while carrying out their attack, leads to user error. Either they mishandle the firearm and induce a malfunction, or their poor cleaning/lubrication/ammo selection causes one and they have no idea how to restore the weapon to working order.

Attached: 1525889132164.png (596x584, 370K)

Pmags, Gen 2 at least, frequently failed to seat properly or feed the first round if not downloaded

Rule of thumb is that .223 is safe to fire out of 5.56 but not vice versa. I think for most modern AR's, unless you have a very finely tuned rifle, the two are interchangeable. I've fired both out of my PSA 80% build and I've never had any kind of issue using .223

Come to think of it I don't think I've had my PSA AR malfunction, ever. The only exceptions were me mishandling it when I first shot it and causing a double feed.

How to unjam

>Seating your fully loaded AR mag on a closed bolt

Attached: rargt.png (87x87, 5K)

i think i heard that he was using hex mags but that could easily have been made up.

>Performing only emergency reloads

>make sure the magazine is firmly seated in the rifle (tap)
>pull the charging handle all the way back and release it like a slingshot, don't ride it forward (rack)
>pull the trigger (bang)

If this doesn't work, remove the magazine, charge and lock the bolt back, insert a different magazine and try again. If that doesn't work you need to further inspect your rifle, ammunition, and magazines to figure out what's going on.

I've never used Pmags but I heard they have space in the mag for a 31st round so they're easier to seat on a closed bolt. Are you sure you were loading the mags exactly to 30, and not to their max capacity of 31?

Not him, but loading a mag at full capacity on a closed bolt is pretty difficult. That's why I usually load on an open bolt, but if you slam it home hard enough you'll be alright. It just takes practice

Yeah, loading off strippers. I'm sure they would feed fine with 29, but I have enough mags that I load them to 25 usually, just to have a round number, and 27 for competition because I'm autistic for multiples of 9. They have "space" for 31 if you're using a loading tool and retard smashing it

Oh, I'm well aware. I use GI mags and they're a bitch, yeah. My trick is to depress the mag release while I insert the mag, apply upward pressure, let go of the mag release, and then give it a tug to make sure it's seated properly. Works okay. Loading from an open bolt is far easier, of course, but not always practical if you're using your AR in some kind of combat/competitive scenario.

This is true at least for my Gen 3s, I can fit 31 with a little effort but it will likely jam them and they won't insert for shit. Makes them way easier than GI mags to inset on a closed bolt, good feature IMO, you just have to remember they top off on the right so you don't overload them.

You just gotta wack the shit out of the baseplate, guns are durable, you gotta wail on em sometimes.

Seeing as this was in CA, is it possible that he was using some kind of oddball cripple mag or maybe fumbling with the bullet button and no-gunz rabbi just thinks it was a jam?

Most of the issue is a mix between budget ARs that aren't tuned great, shitty ammo and mags, and lack of experience of the shooter. A quality, properly maintained AR with quality mags and ammunition is extremely reliable. The only way to know this is running your rifle hard, doing drills and finding problems if they exist and then either fix them (different mags/ammo, or gas system or buffer/spring) or fix yourself (not seating cartridges in mags correctly, not seating mags properly, not maintaining your rifle properly). The issue is most "mass shooters" aren't proficient with their weapons because they obviously don't think things through very well to begin with.

Hey kid you wanna make some money and kill some jews?

Attached: file.png (740x493, 423K)

Attached: 1556482488406.jpg (5312x2988, 2.25M)

You wouldn't download a magazine

AR47

Thanks anons.
I knew it was possible to fire .223 out of 5.56 ARs, I was just curious as to if it would cause more malfunctions than firing 5.56 NATO. Thanks for the information, though, it was interesting and detailed.

ironically my ar15s almost never jam

20" A1 style clone 5.56
16" PSA 7.62x39

if your gun jams on steel sorry but its a POS

My cheap ar's love steel just as much as brass, no matter the type, lacquer, poly, plated...

not that user but
>dropping your bolt after realizing your rifle is empty instead of just closing the dustcover and leaving the bolt locked back
What fucking fantasy world do you live in. You want to add an extra step for no reason?
And if you aren't doing an emergency reload, then surely you have the time to open the bolt; which is now closed for whatever reason, before inserting a new mag.

An emergency reload is when your gun runs dry, dipshit. That poster was saying it was retarded to only ever reload your rifle when it's empty if you're in a gunfight.

Holy shit. You're like 10 steps behind in the conversation...

lies. Everytime some AR fag makes a post like this, then we get actual cited video footage of the shit15 jamming during the christchurch shooting or in combat.

So you're saying that rather than just swap the mag and whack it so it seats you should lock the bolt open, change the mag then release it again, adding extra steps and losing a round for the benefit of it being easier to insert the mag? Fuck off nogunz retard

Source on jamming? Also it didn't even jam during Christchurch, dumbass dropped his giant bundle of mags and it fucked up the round alignment so they wouldn't insert. If you actually owned an AR you'd understand this.

We're discussing when the magazine is empty; if you want to believe in some voodoo shit that a loaded magazine wont seat because there is a full load of 30 rounds; I don't know what to tell you. Take a loaded mag, press on the top rounds and notice that there is more than enough space to accommodate a closed bolt.

With a good hit to the bottom of the magazine it will load no problem. If you simply insert it and push up like it was an open bolt you will run into problems.

Thats exactly what I'm saying you turbo-tard. You either put the mag in with the bolt back because the gun is empty or you put it in with the bolt forwards because the gun isn't empty. I never said a full mag won't seat, you just need to smack it more than with an open bolt.

>there is more than enough space to accommodate a closed bolt.
this depends on the mag

see It's given information that didn't need to be explained you anus.
Space is fine on the two most popular magazines in my posession; GI and pmag gen2 and 3s.

You're such a retard you think everyone around you is a retard. Nowhere in did that user say shit about empty magazines. In fact, quite the opposite. Not every reload is going to be done with a locked bolt. It's not far fetched at all to load a fully loaded magazine into bolt that's closed on a live chamber, especially if you're in a gun fight or something approximating it.

Attached: 1531805331578.gif (400x218, 1.88M)

The conversation started here user

Yeah, and both of those posts are not only wrong but moronic

And I only gave a fuck about the branch where someone implied it was retarded to load their magazine into anything but a locked open bolt , which was replied to by somebody implying it was retarded to only reload your rifle when it ran empty and the bolt locked open which was replied to by this user , who seemed to me to completely misunderstand that previous post.

Hence me not agreeing with them and starting this conversation...
Hm. There seems to have been some confusion here.

Given the anonymous nature of the board and that we're communicating through text conversations invariably turn into clusterfucks where it's difficult to keep who said what straight.

I don't think anyone's arguing it's impossible to insert a topped off magazine into a closed bolt, just that it's generally, marginally harder than a downloaded one, unless the magazine in question has an improved follower/similar doohickey to address this.

ARs are massive pieces of shit.

Attached: 1553300199545.png (743x1120, 62K)

I don't live in any places with dust or sand storms; an AK is more rugged for these situations. I live in a cold climate. Not sure if AKs, ARs or something other platform works better in the snow than another.

Attached: 1548382728253.jpg (980x600, 101K)

hexmags aren't that bad, are they?

Attached: 1556474647163.jpg (1644x924, 163K)

do you want me to gopro and timelapse my next few range visits?
lmfao

Does no one go confirm their own shit anymore. Like you borrow a friends gun, blow through three to five boxes of ammo running some drills and come to your own conclusions. Why is that so hard?

Shit magizines and no lube. I don't care about it though, it's a bingo card worth of false flag material based on police report.

What are you planning :^)

>be me first day out with my newly built ar
>today's the day to see if my 80% works
>Mfw it ftf every other round
>I am fail
>old guy looks over "hey it smells like your gun needs oil"

In my haste to test it I forgot to oil the bolt at all. Bone dry.

Hit it with some ballistol he gave me and it functioned prefect.
Pic related

Attached: 0322192141a.jpg (4160x2336, 3.03M)

>noguns knowing shit about how guns work
Fucken doubt it jammed m9.

You should read the article written by a guy who went for the rifle trials in Pakistan.
He gave a good insight on performance of Aks,Ars,Scar,CZ and Turkish rifle

The problem is that people expect $1000 AR performance out of a $400 AR they built themselves.

>maintenance company

This.

Steyr Aug best for cold.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the edges of the ejection port are not smoothed down from the factory, so the casings get caught because of abrasion slowing down their exit velocity.

I haven't used them but all the ones i've held felt very cheap and bend easier than pmags

>using the charging handle to close the bolt

There are people that do that?

how do you even do that? do you
mean they ride the bolt instead of sling shot?

>worn the hell out rifles
>worn the hell out mags
>not replacing the worn rifles and mags and just kicking the can down the road.

Tis the army way.

Not him, but I download my 30 pmags to 20.
It's 100% because the cartridges come in packs of 20.
only 2 jams. both were new users fumbling with the bolt release
currently ~2k rounds through it

>Maintenance company
>rifles jammed
oof

Wait you actually load them to 2/3 capacity rather than just use another half both of ammo per mag? Why?

Attached: blackholehead.png (700x700, 350K)

get some live fire time at the local synagogue and report back

Attached: chen-64276391ca81c06db81226617a45a191.png (2000x1410, 282K)

I think he means pulling back the charging handle with the BCG locked open, to drop the bolt, rather than just pushing the bolt catch.

>be retarded enough to actually try to go on a shooting spree
>have some sort of malfunction during
Its almost as if retards cant clean something properly or use a simple tool without making avoidable mistakes.

This is why I don't have an AR yet.
>Hey I bought an AR it is jamtastic
>lol what u expect with such a basic bitch AR?
>Ok, I replaced it with expensive shit
>lol all the gucci gear you don't need. All you bought was a name.

I'm sure there's a way to build a reliable AR for a reasonable price but the concentrated autism in ARG and the forum equivalent is too much for me.

They're fine. And they're like 9$

I spent $400 on PSA parts for an 80% build last new year's. I've put several thousand rounds through it since and it has literally only malfunctioned once. Unless you're doing some ultra competitive precision shooting gucci ARs are a fucking meme.

I've found most of the time, AR malfunctions are caused by mags.
Mine came with an aluminum mag. Jammed left and right. Swapped it out for a PMAG and it was fine. Put the aluminum in a friend's AR, lo and behold it started malfunctioning.

I'd skip right to pulling the mag down a bit then pulling the charging handle back. Either you eject a round (nab it out of the air like a pop fly) or after you take the mag all the way out you get a loose one to use again. If you don't get a round and the top of the mag looks good turn the rifle on the side and take a look for the whatever is in the way and remove that. If nothing is in the way slam your mag back in and charge a round and see if it goes pop.

The proper military way is a pointless progression of trouble shooting when your final step (dropping the mag and pulling the charging handle back) covers all the past trouble shooting steps and does it faster.

>concentrated autism in ARG and the forum equivalent is too much for me.
You're 100% right, getting info out of either is like pulling teeth. My personal advice having owned several ARs is buy PSA if you're poor or Aero if you're looking to spend a little more, both will work very very well.

I'm at the range. It's rainy outside so I go to a 25yard indoor range. I have my featureless ar and I am just dicking around with a new sight. I hear fuck, shit, fuck, shit for a bout two minutes. I ask my buddy the RSO to watch my shit and I go check out what's the matter. Young kid is trying to get his new ar running. This thing is fresh out of a factory box. I ask him if he knows how to use it. He says something about youtube. I ask him if it's ok if I check it, he says no, I say ok no problem if you need help I'm at lane 10 or an RSO can help. He just turns around without saying anything so I fuck off back to my lane. 10 more minutes of fuck, shit, etc. I peek over and see him watching a video on his phone. He glances over sees me with one of my ars and I proceeded to mag dump look at him and shrug. I yelled "you sure you don't want help?". He packed up and left. He was only at the range for like 15 minutes total. I noticed his ar was non compliant but I had no intention of scaring him off or telling the government. Probably like this idiot.

this pic shows a 10 round usgi mag in the gun. if those Hexmags were really 30 and not 10/30 he would have used them instead.

i think the guy did such shit preparation that he used 10 round mags and probably had a bullet button too. bang 10 times and then fumble a mag change might look like a gun jam.

Mine work great, I converted them to 30rds during the mag holiday from based Benitez. No problems at all burnt through 400 rounds or so at the range.

Is that pic actually the weapon he used? If so what a fucking retard, he talked a big game in that manifesto and then equipped himself like shit for the one and only thing he decided his life was going to amount to. Pathetic

Don't mount optic on the handguard it won't hold zero for shit. Only mount it on the upper receiver.

My aero had one fte over like 5k rounds. Even then, it was because i didnt oil it for like 1k rounds and was full of shit.

I’m curious to your thought process. Why would anyone do this?

Attached: 54AEA399-24D5-4ED5-B61D-9B16A5CC4B69.jpg (598x532, 47K)