Cmmg 22lr conversion

Are these things any good? How do they do with a standard 1/7 twist barrel? It's about 195 for the cmmg kit and 3 mags. I could get a dedicated upper for 350 which has a 1/16 twist. Let me know what you think of this conversion kit Jow Forums, a buddy at the range has one last week it was running pretty good. I'm sure your zero will be off with 22 vs 556 or 223. Thanks guys.

Attached: 142149.jpg (880x660, 49K)

I'd rather get a dedicated upper or one of the many .22 look-alikes that were built from the ground up to be .22's.

i hear they can cause lead fouling in a barrel which can hurt the barrel badly if you switch from shooting unjacketed 22 straight to shooting 5.56 or .223 without cleaning out any lead that might be in the barrel.
just something i heard a while ago, but if you use a dedicated barrel for shooting 22lr only out of i don't think you'll have any problems.

I have no experience with the kit you posted. I did build a dedicated .22 LR upper using CMMG's dedicated barrel and bolt though. I fucking love it. It's been incredibly reliable, accurate AF too.

I would only shoot copper played Winchester m22 or cci copper plated rounds.

I looked at a buddies m&p 22 and I would rather practice with my rifle over it. Nothing against the s&w guns they look good for a kids starter AR but it wasn't for me.

Another draw for the drop in bcg conversion is the ability to carry and shoot 22 in a shtf situation without the need for a second gun in my pack. Would be nice to throw a thousand 22lr and the bcg in my bugout bag and be gtg for small game with the same rifle.

IDK, I think having another gun is better, since you can arm friends/family or barter it.

Got a good bit of guns and I hear ya the more the better but how many do you plan on keeping on you for shtf? Anyone with more than 1 side arm and 1 rifle is a target, and you'll be weighed down which is not a good thing.

I have owned two of those kits, and let me tell you the answer isn't as clear as "good" or "bad"

If you want the kit to let you train with your AR for less cost it's better than any other option because it lets you use all your same controls and attachments and trigger, and magazines with identical dimensions and very similar weight. Additionally, it is quite accurate with my 1 in 7 twist AR, overstabilization of the projectile isn't really a problem within the ranges you can practically shoot a .22 anyhow.

If you buy it because you want to shoot quietly it lacks the power and reliability of 300 AAC, but can be equally quiet in terms of suppressed shooting.

If you want it to turn your AR into something that's better at being a semi-auto .22 than a dedicated .22 you will be sorely disappointed. It is substantially less reliable out of the box than something like a 10/22, and its extractor is made of relatively soft metal which wears out after a few thousand rounds. Even with that wear you do wind up saving a significant amount of money compared to just shooting bulk .223.

You'd have to shoot a lot of 22s for that to happen. The problem is more about the gas system getting fouled up, and that's over hundreds of rounds, but sending a few 223s will blow that stuff out.

I have one and it's pretty good accuracy wise. I'd rather have a dedicated 22 rifle though. Purpose built beats drop in conversion.

So wait if the extractor goes the entire bcg is done or is it easily replaceable? I probably shoot 2k 22 a month easy. My Marlin 795 has seen thousands of rounds and is in great condition and runs without a hitch with cci or even bulk federal. Can't remember the last time I had a failure with that rifle. My browning buckmark gets unreliable after 400-600 rounds yet my cheap pheonix arms 22 pistol will shoot forever without a cleaning. I've got 3 dedicated 22 rifles right now but I wouldn't want to buy this is it's gonna fail within 20k rounds

well, the first one I bought would get unreliable and need to be cleaned in less than 500 rounds and after about 5000 with cleanings throughout wither my cleaning of the bolt face with steel tools or the wear from operation rounded off the edge of the extractor so much that it failed to extract on most rounds. I just bought a second one because I didn't want to deal with trying to find a bubba solution and the second one has worked fine for ~2,000 rounds without needing any special help.

The second one appears to be made out of higher quality materials and be better machined - probably an updated model.

I might try to get my first one running again by pulling out the extractor and filing it back to sharpness, but the extractor isn't easy to remove so I haven't bothered yet.

A YouTuber said cmmg products have lifetime warranty have you tried contacting them?

>So wait if the extractor goes the entire bcg is done or is it easily replaceable?

Doubt you can buy them, but CMMG will probably replace it for you. If not, it looks like a pretty basic sheet metal stamping, you could probably make a decent replacement with a hand drill, hacksaw, and file.

Not as reliable as a 10/22 and probably not as accurate.

CMMG does sell all the various small parts for the 22 conversion bolts, they're shown right on their website. You can get just the extractor, extractor spring, firing pin, guide rod, recoil spring, etc.

this does cost more than the kit, but it's not all that expensive to just build a dedicated 22 upper; that maintains your same controls, trigger, etc, for training purposes too.

the accuracy depends on which kit you have. The one OP shows that uses your existing barrel is not all that accurate. the one which uses a dedicated .22LR barrel is highly accurate.

Buying a dedicated upper also means you don't need to change the zero on your optics every time.

Going to build dedicated upper instead of buying the conversion bcg. Until then I'll just keep shooting my 22s when I want save money.

>Another draw for the drop in bcg conversion is the ability to carry and shoot 22 in a shtf situation without the need for a second gun in my pack. Would be nice to throw a thousand 22lr and the bcg in my bugout bag and be gtg for small game with the same rifle.
as the owner of one of theses this is some dumbass prepper bullshit. you are not going to carry around another bolt and a bulky worthless magazine instead of a real mag. and you sure as hell wont carry 2 bricks of 22lr at the same time.

If you'd justify carrying two pounds of handgun and ammo you can justify carrying two pounds of improvised suppressor, conversion bolt, and .22 ammo instead.

If you don't see the expansion of capability in that you're fucking retarded.

Yeah 1k 22 is ALOT of small game, maybe even deer if you're good enough

your not carrying around 1000 rounds to go hunt a fucking deer. you leave most of your ammo at a safe location or stash. which is my point you are not carrying all that shit at the same time. you go back to base you resupply.

if you're bugging out, carrying 240 rounds of .223 plus 1000 .22 may be an acceptable tradeoff instead of 300 .223 or 240 .223 plus a pistol and 30 9mm.

This is *especially* true if you're in an area without large herds of deer or are in an area where you don't want to ring the dinner bell every time you kill something.

>if you're bugging out,
aka prepper bullshit

CMMG makes the MX series of rifles which function flawlessly in Arma 3 thus establishing their high level of quality

I'll take "what is living in a city?" for 500, alex

also
>what are chemical spills?
>what are wildfires?
>what is flooding?
>what is rioting?

If you think you can turtle through every possible thing and that it is never a better idea to move to an alternate location or to expand the length of your patrol route by increasing your foraging capability you are a fool.

>>what are chemical spills?
>>what are wildfires?
>>what is flooding?
>>what is rioting?
localized disasters where the best option is just getting the fuck out.
all you idiots think well im going live in the woods covered in guns and survive off nature carrying all this stupid shit i bought that is necessary to survive.
getting the fuck out is easier when you travel light.
whatever civilized area you migrate to till things cool off wont look kindly on heavily armed idiots.

literally nobody said live in the woods forever. That's only you.

As for "getting the fuck out" what do you think bugging out *means*?

Attached: chrome_2017-05-17_22-49-03.png (432x517, 207K)