M4 Sherman love thread

Cooper did hella dirty on this great tank it deserves more love

Attached: BF363FF4-FEB0-418B-A49A-2A91B9BA59E5.jpg (220x165, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bNjp_4jY8pY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: isr66pp2gqg11.jpg (720x602, 91K)

Yet on average only one crew member would die per Sherman knocked out it was one of the safest tanks of the war

I heard that the U.S. Ordnance Department was aware of the Sherman being a 'Tommy Cooker', and attempted to implement various measures to address this issue. The design team was lead by Sheldon Rosenstein, a convicted child-beater, arsonist, and avid necrophiliac. Sheldon was reportedly pen-pals with Shiro Ishii, and Oskar Dirlewanger. When questioned about these letters outgoing to hostile countries, Sheldon replied that he was merely exchanging 'tips and tricks'. Sheldon's team designed a mechanism that would lock the crew hatches shut, thus trapping the crew, when smoke was detected inside the sherman after being penetrated and set alight. Not only that, but apparently there was also a following feature that was a re-take on the Brazen Bull. When the crew was burning to death, their screams would be amplified by speakers that projected outside the tank. The U.S. Ordnance Department justified these features by proclaiming that the Germans would be frightened by the hellish screams of the sherman crews being incinerated, and allied soldiers would be more motivated to fight hard, lest the same fate befall them. Sheldon also later devised a system that had a 1 in 59 chance of setting off an explosive charge in the ammunition storage every time the Sherman's engine was turned on. Supposedly, this was to 'test the crew's luck before battle'. This innovation was well-received by the U.S. Army, but was rejected for budgetary reasons. Upon receiving news of the Army's rejection, Sheldon bludgeoned his manservant to death with a fire iron in a fit of unstoppable rage. Years after the war, Sheldon tragically died in a fire, which he had started in a New York orphanage.

Attached: PSo2YEX.jpg (1100x770, 148K)

Some of the stuff about that image looked odd, so I reverse searched it. Explanation that was given was that it was used as target practice by the Dutch in the 1950s.

stale pasta

this video should be requirement of posting on Jow Forums about anything involving the words Sherman, tank, T-34, and WWII, American, and Russian.
youtu.be/bNjp_4jY8pY

Based
The truth will never get stale

Tommy cooker

Attached: IMG_4689.jpg (750x637, 107K)

One of the safest tanks of the war

Ah, the infamous Sherman. Often referred to as the 'Tommy Cooker' by the Germans.
The nickname referred to when the Germans starving from lack of rations, would scavenge destroyed Sherman tanks for the precious cooked meat inside. In fact, the designers of the Sherman designed it to light every time, so that cooking of the crews was guaranteed.
Of course, the Germans would often eat the allied tank crews whether they were cooked or not, regardless. My grandpappy told me this in great detail when I was a young boy. Truly the horrors of war.

Mein opa

This seems tremendously dubious.

Inb4 muh Tiger

Nah the 88 shot 6" diameter AP rounds I think this got hit in Normandy.

>88mm equals 6inchs
Are you ok user? Do you have brain damage?

Just looking at the image and I see: there's no markings on the tank, every periscope has been removed, there's no gun tube, no headlights, no mg in the hull, and there's no personal equipment or tools. Yet it looks like the tank is burning as if it's been recently hit. Those things suggest a tank on a target range.

Even IF you assume the "Tommy Cooker/Ronson" meme as the truth, most tanks don't just blow up like that immediately. What usually happens is that tank catches fire, the crew bails out quickly and the smoldering tank finally gets to the point the ammunition explodes, but that can be minutes to even hours away.

If a fire starts in the engine compartment then it may be able to be extinguished, or at least give the crew time to bail out. If there's fire in the fighting compartment then you have problems with the crew being quickly overcome if they cannot quickly extinguish it. Any tank has a lot of flammable stuff in it with the ammunition, oils, hydraulics, electronics, and in some cases the metals.
Even if the ammunition doesn't brew up or explode, just being in an enclosed metal compartment with smoke & flame can mean disorientation and deadly conditions. Tanks back then were flammable and dangerous and there was no saying otherwise. What the Sherman benefited from was giving its crews quick and easy ways out (with the exception of the loader on early vehicles, but this was fixed by 1942.) whereas other vehicles often had less intuitive layouts or mechanisms for opening hatches.

Attached: 8e0b1e084a7dffb9a854a497c567b0be.jpg (1600x1241, 172K)

>whereas other vehicles often had less intuitive layouts or mechanisms for opening hatches.
don't get me started on how shafted the loader was in the panther, his escape hatch that he cannot use as there is no steps or ladder to aid his escape so he'd have to lift himself through the hatch, and he's on the other side of the gun so he'd have to squeeze past it to get to the commander's hatch

Even opening the Panther commander's hatch was multiple steps if it was buttoned up. You try doing all the motions while panicking or seeing as the compartment rapidly smokes up. The large hatch on the rear of the Panther's turret would also be hard to open due to its weight. Other Germans tanks like the Panzer III only had access from the turret, and the Panzer IV and Tiger's hatches for the driver and bow gunner required the men to scoot to the side and then go up. For some reason, it seems like few tanks just had simple up-and-out hatches. I don't get why that concept seemed so rare.
Also keep in mind that if you take too long and the compartment is smoked up, opening a hatch introduces air, which means all that smoke very quickly becomes flame. Fun.

The designers probably thought hatches made the tank and crew vulnerable to infantry anti-tank tactics of the time, it's also why tanks then had so many pistol ports.

The T6 (m4 prototype) had escape hatches on the hull sides.

Attached: kw9ZIBQ.jpg (600x416, 48K)

Ram 1 for comparison.

Attached: a069169-v8.jpg (952x566, 154K)

Attached: M4 Sherman TUSK 1.jpg (800x445, 68K)

Attached: M4 Sherman TUSK 2.jpg (600x507, 33K)

Attached: M4 Sherman TUSK 3.jpg (800x460, 88K)

was that ERA? or spaced armor?

Found the image set and it had this description:
>The screens were combined and consisted of 2 25 mm aluminum plates, the space between which (25 cm) was filled with a mixture of HCR2 of quartz gravel, resin and wood flour. Tests of shielded Sherman were conducted in the summer-autumn of 1945 at the Aberdeen proving ground. During the tests, the screens demonstrated their effectiveness, but the weight of the additional reservation (8 tons) led to a decrease in the mobility of the tank.
Meant to be a spaced armor to defeat shaped charges.

Spaced armor

ITT seething ameriboos

Based

Attached: 3083084a.jpg (1200x952, 194K)

Read that as "wet flour" and started thinking about freshly baked bread

Attached: 1528318393726.jpg (728x464, 211K)

>that "meme"
>implying you're not a seething mutt
Kek

fucking retard pz 3 and for had floor and side escape hatches, all later panthers had floor and upper hatches. you know there wasnt only the panther d that still killed ten times more t34s than own losses despite being a rushed prototype.
now fuck off to cod.

Attached: 1556375756757.jpg (393x517, 57K)

>that muzzle break

>sherman M4 ausf. H

The 76' Sherman really do something to me

>25mm aluminum, 25cm quartz, 25mm aluminum
Genuine composite armor in 1945? Neato.

The side escape hatches were removed from late production vehicles due to the skirts blocking them. They were also nearly impossible to actually reach from the drivers compartment, depending on the orientation of the turret.

Remains of a Sherman with wood-on-concrete side armor on Iwo Jima.

Attached: D3bZbAUU4AAi2N_.jpg (1200x900, 318K)

Same tank showing penetration by 47mm anti tank rounds.

Attached: D3bZfyFUYAA8BDO.jpg (1200x900, 213K)

47mm may sound small for an AT gun, put the Japanese had a pretty potent one. Especially when they hide their positions and waited to fire when the tank was close or had already driven past so they could put a shot into its rear or side.
Very good example of the modifications Shermans had in the Pacific with the non-metal armor (fear of magnetic mines) , extra treads, and cages/spikes over hatches.

The Sherman's bad reputation comes mostly from wehraboos and that one idiot mechanic with PTSD from washing guts out of tanks.

Watch this:
youtu.be/bNjp_4jY8pY

It's actually a counterweight. The M4 was designed to carry the M3 75mm but none were available at the start of production, so they used the shorter M2 instead. The shorter gun threw off the turret balance, hence the counterweight.

Attached: M4 cast hull HVSS 5.jpg (1600x984, 495K)

Attached: M4 cast hull HVSS.jpg (1600x980, 338K)

I'm a fan of the cast hull over the weleded ones

Attached: M4 Sherman_Cast.jpg (1200x832, 287K)

Attached: M4A3E8.jpg (1024x781, 135K)

Your file naming is giving me autism. It's M4A1 76(W) HVSS and M4A1 respectively.

Attached: M4A1 (76)W.jpg (3054x2036, 579K)

Good taste. Not as effective as the later welded hulls, but I really like how they look and how you can see the clear evolution beginning at the M2 medium with the suspension bogies. You see a lot of the improvements of American tank design from the interwar period brought together into one vehicle.

Attached: _IMG_2580_900x460.jpg (900x460, 128K)

Based Chieftainposter

Attached: 1548212905523.png (557x605, 122K)

they were like that when I ripped them from Google Images. was too lazy to change them

I prefer those thicc ass jumbos

Attached: M4A3E2_14.jpg (950x563, 301K)

>The truth will never get stale
If you had any truth this would mean something. In actuality, the T-34s burned more than the M4s

The US used stabilizers in their ammo to keep the ammo from cooking off to quickly.

The USSR replaced these with more explosives.

>Being this upset

Killed a lot of Limeys, God bless.

amen bruder

Attached: infamousherman.webm (1280x720, 1.07M)

I love Sherm Sherm.

Attached: Sherman Rocket T34 Calliope.webm (640x480, 2.66M)

But why did it have a radial engine

Simple answer is that it's what the Army was used to. They were using radials in the M2 light tank because they were lightweight but gave good power, that carried through their tank designs and into the M4.

Army decided they wanted to keep things simple and adapted their aircraft engine for use in armoured vehicles.
That's why the Sherman's hull is so tall, so it could fit the radial engine.

Later Sherman variants ditched the radials for U-engines and V8s.