Mini-14 for a camping gun?

I’ve been considering a Mini-14 for a comfy little camping gun. How well does 5.56 perform in such a role? Does anyone make good “anti-critter” 5.56?

Attached: CB6E86A9-0F87-4688-B7FA-341EA10442AB.jpg (600x600, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=waImlLmnOB0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5dve7vAY9I
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Neat stealth Mini thread. It'll get 300 asperger's-tinged replies.

What kind of critters? If you're talking bears and shit you probably want something bigger. If you're talking about 2 legged critters, it's adequate but you'd probably be better off getting an AR + Mags + ammo for cheaper - barring some kind of bargain sleuthing.

Hey OP.

They work. I take mine trouncing around southeast Texas often. Runs okay for fucking off yotes and wild boar.

People sperg out marginally less when they see you with a Mini over your shoulder vs an AR.

I have absolutely nothing against ARs, I should say. I just prefer a Mini’s styling for camping. I suspect I wouldn’t see worse than a black bear or a moose at worst. I’m just curious what the best ammo to help squeeze the most performance out of it would be for such things.

I also plan on carrying something like this too, just as an emergency backup.

Attached: CAC16B14-D87A-441C-980D-0911B9933DC0.jpg (736x552, 80K)

get a famas

t.ARvsMiniDebate

dunno about bear or moose but 55gr FMJ 5.56 is great for hogs

Attached: preggers_pig.jpg (768x1024, 149K)

Yeah the mini will be fine, 5.56 will work good, it was first used as a varmint round, and idk any good loads I just know that you want like 75 grain ish bullets. I think Hornady makes some good loads.

Nice one!
Nah. No reason you shouldn’t have both.

>Moose
I wouldn't want to go up against angry moose with 5.56 but that's just me. If your handgat has hot loads that could cover that, but for black bear and other small critters it would be fine.

Rapid firing 9mm with general point and shoot is good enough to put down a bear

5.56 is more than enough.

Thanks, I killed my biggest hog with a .308 but a neck shot from 5.56 would've easily dropped him too.

Attached: boar_log_grabs.jpg (640x425, 73K)

KelTec RDB-C with a Glock 40 is my Jow Forumsamping setup.

Attached: boar_FNAR.jpg (640x425, 81K)

Oh I agree, but the horde of shitposters that flock to a thread about Mini-14's is large.

Your two best choices are going to be thicker walled ball ammo that doesn't tend to fragment, and well designed expanding hunting/defensive rounds. The latter is fairly common in defensive/LEO use these days, as fragmenting rounds tend to perform relatively poorly after hitting an intermediate barrier like a car, wall, or what have you. 50/55gr TSX, TBBC, 64gr GDs, winchester sold base bonded, federal bonded JSP, and remington bonded are all supposed to be good loads. If you want something commonly available then 62gr federal fusion is identical to the gold dot while being commonly available at most walmarts as a hunting round. Not particularly knowledgeable on the former, although iirc i think some eastern european rounds from tula, wolf, or something bear perform like that. in general the design idea is popular in europe where even ""accidentally"" fragmenting rounds like m193 are frowned on for military/leo use, so i sure you can look around and find something on the market. Maybe try fortt scott munitions TUI in 5.56 if nothing else works, its a bit expensive but stays in one piece and likes to keep truckin.

get a $300 SKS $100 of ammo A new Tent and sleeping bag for the price of a Mini!

Attached: 1529086705971.jpg (700x484, 130K)

the cartridges in that picture aren't anywhere close to scale with one another and it's triggering my 'tism

>5.56
>a moose
That moose will wreck your shit, user.

>$300 SKS
Unless he's Canadian, good luck with that.

I don't want to be that guy, but I'm gonna.
Buy an AR instead. It's infinitely better than a Mini and costs less.

31 rounds at the ready, semiauto. Will easy kill large game with good shot placement.

youtube.com/watch?v=waImlLmnOB0

Remember, rifle rounds cause tissue tearing and cause serious damage beyond the bullet path.

People sperg out when they see a rifle on your shoulder in Texas? This country is dead

I have an AR, I just like the Mini’s looks. Matches my M14.
I’m well equipped, and my 1950 Tula was my first gun. I still love her to death, but she’s retired now.
I'm aware. As a Canuck, we respect and fear the moose. The odds of any sort of confrontation are minimal, and I’d rather not kill one while I’m out camping, but still. I just really like Minis. Feel like it might be just as good as a Marlin leverboi or something.

Attached: C01CFF79-C7A9-4A34-A98A-D64F2DD6D0A4.jpg (1536x2048, 948K)

>31 rounds
>as a Canuck
He doesn't have 31 rounds at the ready.

What an awful chart
>30-30 for black bear, okay thats fine
>but also .45-70 and .444 marlin

>He doesn't have 31 rounds at the ready.

>he doesn't know

I’m lucky I got my mini 14’s when they were still cheaper than AR’s so I can only help comparing them to really pathetically cheap AR’s in my head.

what a stupid info-graphic. All the bullet scales are completely bonkers. like not even close.

I do because I rip my pins and all that sort of thing. I’m just getting a second opinion on 5.56 as a bush cartridge. Signs appears to say it’ll be a decent option with the right ammo.

aren't you afraid of getting caught by the horse police

Hah, no. They’re underfunded and corrupt, too much so to bother a lone user camping innawoods. I also go off to sites in areas they (and regular people) don’t normally visit and shift between a few favoured sites. And my schedule is to infrequent to stake me out.

Just walk across the boarder into America man.

I want to move to the USA but I don't want to be some illegal alien piece of shit. Plus it's not like I could blend into a sanctuary city, too pasty.

If your out in the middle of nowhere why would you follow those dumbass laws? Violating it doesn't hurt another person.

Where would you wanna live here so I can shatter your dreams with reality

Colorado, Utah, maybe Arizona, Louisiana, North Dakota, Indiana, New Hampshire or Montana would be places I'd prefer.

I don’t know anything about New Hampshire but the rest of those are pretty alright to good. Inb4 anyone from New Hampshire gets ass-blasted I’ve just never been there.

It doesn't work that well. Brush can easily fuck up its projectory.

You’d do better with a mini 30 against bear, deer and meese

To add to this, let's let Eric just answer OPs question on what's good, by showing caliber and shit.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5dve7vAY9I

>bear or moose
Take glorious design of Sergei Mosin instead of American boy scout shit stick target rifle

>fire one round
>bolt sticks and you can't cycle a new one
>get trampled
He'd be better off with the mini desu

Drink vodka for make strength to move bolt

It's not 2007 anymore user.

One of these is not like the others. I hope you like humidity if you move there.

Attached: Z7HeRxU.png (512x512, 361K)

Not at all but I know people there.

Yeah, but Mini 30s are the big gay.

I actually varmint with my rifles and if you mean a gun to take oppurtunity shots at problem small animals aa you walk around (not so much true sit and wait coyote hunting) and not a 22lr then, in my opinion, the best choice is an ultralight build 16" barrel AR15 thats free floated and has a light lpvo on it loaded with wolf 223 55gr maybe 60gr soft points for cheap bulk (the 55gr especially explode near instantly instead of mushroom).

I kind of kick myself for making my recent build what I perceive as a fighting rifle when I could have had something pretty useful.

mini 14 kills me because it looks aesthetic, but never seem to be as reliable or accurate as an AR15 and is 223 instead of 5.56. I like to be able to shoot my cheap steel up to full power 5.56

dont mini have too slow of twist for 75gr? might have to use the ~60gr fusion bullets that are basically gold dots or, if youre rich, tsx or gmx for penetration and a bit of mushrooming

You deserve a (you) for the good post on western stuff but all of the eastern bullets Ive seen are not bonded and are basically varmint grenades that wont penetrate well.

that chart didnt age well.
I understand it's built with ideal cartridges for common hunting styles in mind and it wasnt that bad if it was built with respect of a lot of the older bullet options but theres a lot of new things that can push cartridges way up in ability.

>I have an AR, I just like the Mini’s looks. Matches my M14
not being hostile to your preferences but it's nice to have contrast too sometimes user. I think you guys have some nice ar18 options if you find ar15s too basic but the ar15, if properly set up, will likely be more accurate and lighter.

sanctuary cities are normally nogun zones and a number of the northern and even central east states are infected with antiguns for reasons.

You do realize that cheap steel is never full power, right? It's always .223, and marked such for a reason.

>I like to be able to shoot my cheap steel up to full power 5.56
I like being able to shoot my cheap steel that mini14s seem to have a harder time with normally as well as having the option to shoot full power 5.56 that are not considered safe with mini-14 is what Im trying to say.

I thought you were just holding that up on your own at first

I prefer the Mini 30, only issue is the proprietary mags, but I bought mine used and came with 4 magazines and I don't really need more than that for camping (if I'm not hunting also, then I bring either a shotgun or a dedicated hunting rifle depending on what I'm stalking), but for a rifle on the smaller and lighter side, this is your best bet. Or get one if those Kel-Tecs that fold up and takes Glock mags. Personally, I love my mini 30. I prefer the 7.62x39 over the 5.56/.223 meme round anyways

Yeah, they sound like hell on earth.

Texas is a blue state bruh

i see you brought your Hog Extractor 5000.

Has anyone ever shot self-defense ammo out of a mini 14? I've got mine loaded with hornady black ammo for home defense (please no judge it's the only high capacity gun I have).

lots of people from other states and even then cityfolk in general still haven't shot and assume a "tactical" looking rifle has no business out in nature. There is a distinct lack of understanding in that a gun is a gun is a gun among a large chunk of the population in the US.

i've never shot a mini 14 but i don't buy into "home defense ammo".
if i shoot someone with my "home defense" loads they're going to die just fine and fuck off in the least.

I don't think many people are going to want to argue with you and stick around if they're getting centerfire rifle rounds thrown in their direction regardless of load.

no they are only used for mass shootings