Is a Maverick 88 a worthy investment, or should I save a few hundred more dollars to get a better shotgun...

Is a Maverick 88 a worthy investment, or should I save a few hundred more dollars to get a better shotgun? I really want an Ithaca model 37, but that will probably be out of my price range for awhile.

Attached: 88.jpg (575x575, 15K)

Unless you're completely nogunz saving for a better gun is the correct choice

Better shotgun. You can find Ithaca for ~$300 all the time in pawn shops.

Alright, thanks. I'm not completely noguns but have yet to get my first shotgun. I had a feeling the Maverick 88's quality might be lacking, being as cheap as it is. Where does it suffer the most?

They're alright. Grab a used Ithaca or a Wingmaster. You can find some fantastic old Wingmasters for under 300.

It rattles like a can of paint. Tool marks out the ass and I advise taking them apart and cleaning thoroughly so you get the metal shavings out. Sand the furniture so you get rid of mould tags. Other than that they go bang reliably and will outlast your kids.

Used Ithaca's are as cheap as Mavricks. At least here in Canada.

if you get it for under 200 it's worth it.

Barrels are thinner, I think the trigger group might be plastic, they use less metal overall in the whole of the gun. It's made to be cheap, not really made to last for hard use. If you baby it or never take it beyond your home it'll probably be just fine but if you want a gun for general innawoods fuckery you'll want something more robust.

They're a fine budget option and Jow Forums's go-to recommended poorfag gun. There's nothing wrong with it at all. It's like your mom - it's cheap, available, and bangs reliably. But something more expensive only if you think you're going to end up customizing it a lot.

Buy once cry once.

A used single shot classic shotgun under $150 is something you'll appreciate whether it's your first, or you have 15 guns, whether you're part time making a few hundred a year or making $75k a year.

The Maverick is a plastic junker you'll wish you saved a bit more

A mavrick 88 is a horrible investment. They depreciate instantly. If you buy it for 200 you will never be able to sell it used for that.
Its not like a mosin where you bought it for 80 bucks and a decade later its 300.

>A mavrick 88 is a horrible investment. They depreciate instantly. If you buy it for 200 you will never be able to sell it used for that.
>Its not like a mosin where you bought it for 80 bucks and a decade later its 300.
Only literal retards buy guns as an "investment". You buy them to shoot stuff. If you want an investment, buy healthcare stocks.

Umm user,

wonderful shotgun, I killed mine though. bought one of those tac star side saddles, and to mount it you have to replace one of the internal parts. the thing backed out while firing and bound up the internals, to fix said issue I mortared the thing on the ground. kind of ran after that but when it was taken apart it could not be put back together. I kept the old one for parts and bought another one.

Attached: 1553758837543.jpg (598x458, 35K)

Love mine. Take her shooting all the time. I’ve probably put more into aftermarket parts than the purchase cost of the gun, but it was the first gun I ever bought and now she’s exactly the way I want her.

Attached: 301C7443-970E-4A13-886C-442148E530E1.jpg (1536x2048, 491K)

If you mean a real investment it's a terrible choice, but if you want a home defense shotgun to keep in the corner it'll do just fine.

>Only literal retards buy guns as an "investment". You buy them to shoot stuff.
Sure.
But, if you need cash in an emergency it's nice to have something that retains its value.

Yes.

He didn't literally mean 'invest' Captain Autism, he meant is it worth buying to use for any real length of time. Besides is $200 really an investment for you?

>But, if you need cash in an emergency it's nice to have something that retains its value.
Have you tried *not* being so poor you have to hock your home defense gun to buy food?

What do you have that's worth anything if the dollar collapsed tomorrow?

>What do you have that's worth anything if the dollar collapsed tomorrow?
A shotgun.

Get a mossberg 590 if your white.

Everything is so fuckin loose

If you want something for cheap to shoot, then it’s fine. If you want something with good fit and finish, it’s not.

I have one, and it shoots well, cycles well, and feels cheap as shit. Shoots ridiculously high, but for ranges of bad breath, it’s fine.

>investment
No
>functional utility/beater gun
Absolutely
>trigger group might be plastic
It’s polymer, but so has every trigger guard for the 500 series (590a1 excluded) for at least two decades now

I’ll put it this way, OP, if you plan on using a stock with a pistol grip, get the maverick since the safety position is in a more ergonomic position for a perpendicular grip angle. If conventional stocks are your thing, save up for the 500 whose tang safety is more conducive to that stock style. Besides the safety position, more machining marks (which will smooth out with use) and the non-maverick having a slightly nicer quality of bluing, they’re functionally and materially identical

Buy inexpensive yet functional if you're concerned about logistics or are on a tight budget.
Save up if you're going to buy something to hug and stroke late at night, when you think I'm not watching.

with any gun never go for the low option just to appease the feeling of needing something. save a little bit or just put it on a credit card and pay it off in like 2-3 months dude no big deal

buy once, cry once. i've bought too many cheap guns only to have to sell them and then go back and buy what i really wanted because it just wasn't quite right

Why not a 500? It's not much more expensive, but has a few advantages. Most 500/590 parts will fit on a Maverick, but not all. I got my 500 for $250, hardly an expensive gun.

Buy and rattle can it

Attached: tmp_24628-camopaintjob22107096240.jpg (480x480, 238K)

op theres fuck loads of better options. Look at a western field model 30/Stevens 520/Sears Ranger 30. Take down shotguns that are reliable as fuck for WELL under 200 dollars. Theres also remington model 11s/savage 720s/springfield 745s for a semi auto.

In my neck of the woods, you can buy a mossy 500 for less used than a new maverick. Food for thought.