Heavy infantry

So what's the spiritual successor to the old times heavy infantry and their phalanx tactics /k?

Attached: phalanx.png (318x159, 129K)

I wish I were a stormtrooper

Attached: Stormtrooper.jpg (1280x1280, 449K)

Trench networks

but those don`t move you know, and they had field fortifications on that time

Yeah.

Attached: deadwars.jpg (1231x376, 89K)

Mechanized Infantry.

Attached: mechanized infantry.jpg (1200x870, 274K)

All infantry that aren't rangers, airborne or reconnaissance elements count as modern heavy infantry.

The original 3 and the thrawn trilogy are forever my cannon

Litteraly wrong, mechanized infantry is the spiritual successor to mounted infantry i.e. dragoons

Agreed, modern cavalry is any attack helicopter or tanks, mech infantry is heavy infantry because of the fire support they bring. Every infantry unit is mobile at this point, either by airborne insertion, helicopter, humvee, MRAP etc. but mech infantry is the most obvious corollary to heavy infantry for their role.

I'd say mech infantry has more in common with dragoons. Ride to the show, party on foot.

Powered armored infantry. Potentially.

There's also mechanized infantry but that's more of a kind of mounted infantry or dragoon.

Heavy tanks. Or any tank that can only travel slightly more than an group of men on the ground.

We don't see them anymore. But the reason why a heavy tank battalion would fill a similar role is that heavy infantry was meant to be Mobile and stop serve as a type of impassable lethal defense against an enemy force. Heavy tanks fill this role nicely but for how much they cost to produce and how easily removed they are by aircraft or indirect artillery fire are impractical compared to minefields, towed artillery, and modern tanks.

Checked & Thrawnpilled.

Mechanized Infantry may fight a lot like dragoons, but their role in battle is nothing like dragoons used to be.

>implying our infantry isn't already heavy enough

the invention of the half track basically rendered the difference between dragoons and line infantry irrelevant. Air assault infantry is the closer analogy to dragoons desu. It's not the restedness that made dragoons dragoons, it was that they could move way, way, way faster

horse riding is also a lot more tiring than people think

guards/shock infantry in world war 2

Correct, airborne is more akin to dragoons. Quickly deploy to a flank or behind lines to distrupt the enemy

There is no successor to heavy infantry because guns have made melee combat no longer viable. Heavy infantry in dense formations has no successor in the spread out battles of the modern era. That died out by 1900.
In terms of soldiers, it could be argued that modern armies have their discipline and rigor, but thats hardly different than any other type of classical infantry

Yeah, they put the HEAVY in heavy infantry