Alright, I'm pissed Jow Forums. I didn't listen to some of you guys who warned me not to buy "Chinese" flashlights...

Alright, I'm pissed Jow Forums. I didn't listen to some of you guys who warned me not to buy "Chinese" flashlights. I got suckered into buying the PD35 Tactical. It was fucking amazing for 2 weeks, now it's lost it's brightness and strength. Changed batteries multiple times (placed in fully charged 18650 batteries) and problem remains.

Opened it a hundred times cleaned internals etc.. Has anyone else had this problem? unsure on what else to do so I've just emailed Fenix directly by the Info email and hopefully get a response.

Attached: 71jRscytcGL._SL1152_.jpg (1152x1152, 142K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thrunite.com/bundle-u1-charger-1-18650-rechargeble-battery/
ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-18650-Lithium-Li-Ion-Battery-Vape-Vaping-e-Cig-Medium-High-Drain/302893558343?hash=item4685dcea47:m:mMTDXsMMuzAlechLHUyPP2A&frcectupt=true
ebay.com.au/itm/4-Slots-4-2V-Universal-Rechargeable-18650-Li-ion-Battery-Smart-Charger-PLUS/302962696749?_trkparms=aid=333200&algo=COMP.MBE&ao=1&asc=20171012094517&meid=b98227f79ddf4d18ac0e80b3311cf6d4&pid=100008&rk=3&rkt=12&sd=302893558343&itm=302962696749&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219
ebay.com.au/itm/4x-18650-3-7V-4200mAh-Li-ion-Rechargeable-Battery-AU-Smart-Charger-Indicator-AU/113392906696?hash=item1a66be71c8:g:V0wAAOSw4Vpb9z1m
fenix-store.com/troubleshooting-your-flashlight/
aliexpress.com/item/E17-CREE-XM-L2-2500LM-tactical-cree-led-Torch-Zoom-cree-LED-Flashlight-Torch-light-For/32478207147.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.55cd4c4deByp3D
vapestreet.com.au/collections/accessories/products/lg-hg2-18650-battery
ebay.com/itm/Folomov-A1-Magnetic-USB-Battery-Charger-Power-Bank-26650-21700-20700-18650-/253870293440?nav=SEARCH
lygte-info.dk/info/indexBatteriesAndChargers UK.html
homedepot.com/p/Rayovac-300-Lumen-Workhorse-Pro-2AA-LED-Virtually-Indestructible-Flashlight-DIY2AA-BC/206767090
illumn.com/18650-keeppower-3500mah-sanyo-ncr18650ga-protected-button-top.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

And picture related, the flashlight supposedly on "1000 lumens", such bullshit.

Attached: 20190501_185933.jpg (4032x3024, 3.47M)

Are you using 2600mah batteries? Those things are a pos, most that come with the flashlight suck balls. Get yourself some 3700 from like thrunite or nitecore.

Just a random pic from google, mate. I was originally using store bought (non recharge) 123A batteries and it was putting out full 1000 lumens that would blind you.

Now it's weak as fuck. It seems the led may be faulty.

thrunite.com/bundle-u1-charger-1-18650-rechargeble-battery/
There

Fenix is a pretty solid company. I still got lights from them that I bought like eight yrs ago, still work perfect to this day. Change out battery type, ditch the cr123 and get an 18650 for it, I already linked a battery and charger. If problem still going on (which is shouldn't) contact fenix and they'll take care of you pretty quick

I got 18650 batteries, received them today (bought from eBay (charged for 4 hours and put them in.

Same issue. Pissed off since i planned to go camping for 3 days and need a good flashlight, this failed me already.

Attached: 20190501_192327.jpg (3336x3024, 3.37M)

>6800mAh
Lol, if you actually tested them, they wouldn't even come close to 1/3rd that probably. Also most of the lights circuit boards can't handle more than like 5000 max, even most running a 3700 can be hot. Being cereal, try the battery out I suggested.

the led are damaged at high temperatures during operation
the problem is not the batteries it is the heatsinking of the leds it is inadequate in almost all flashlights even the expensive ones but if you modify them by adding a larger heatsink(bits of aluminum and thermal adhesive) and reflowing the solder it will usually keep it from going bad and should stay bright for years
but most flash lights don't have enough space for proper heatsinking in the case body in which case you might be able to heatsink to the case body if the wiring is correct and the body is made of aluminum (bare metal contact and thermal adhesive but no paint or resin)but good luck dissembling that component ever again

>warned me not to buy "Chinese"
this is now a rare chinkshit thread, post cheap chinkshit that isn't total shit

Attached: baofeng.jpg (1632x918, 255K)

Pd35 is a solid light, even running it at max for an hour you can still touch it with out it burning you. OP is just retarded and bought batteries off of Ebay, batteries that are clearly lying about its true power output.

Attached: norinco-type-56-r-9-995-223312584_large.jpg (900x676, 95K)

I tested multiple batteries as said, all same issue. Don't really want to buy even MORE batteries now..

Is there even any use getting the same brand then?

Attached: 20190501_185911.jpg (4032x3024, 3.61M)

Those garbage batteries are your problem. Try the plain red or plain brown wrapped LG 18650s

Looks pretty cheap, can i use any charge for it?

ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-18650-Lithium-Li-Ion-Battery-Vape-Vaping-e-Cig-Medium-High-Drain/302893558343?hash=item4685dcea47:m:mMTDXsMMuzAlechLHUyPP2A&frcectupt=true

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1490, 266K)

i don't have that particular flashlight so i will yield to your credibility on its build quality and indeed it is better to buy quality batteries but i will ask a question if you cant feel the heat where is it going? or staying?
also it seems that it has an xpg r5 i would check if it has enough room for an xml swap

all you would have to do is swap the led which is moderately easy if you can solder and add some heatsinking and it will be running better than new with less or no dimming just be sure to change the led first(aheat gun helps here) then add the extra heatsinking
it shoud be about a 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch thick solid aluminum if you were planning to run it contently at 100% but whatever you can add will help significantly
also it seems im finding conflicting info on the led that is installed is it a CREE XP-L HI or a Cree XLamp XP-G?

Alright, bought some brown batteries. Hope it works better.

LG Hg2 and either of the Nitecore D series chargers on that link will get you up and running.

I got this

ebay.com.au/itm/4-Slots-4-2V-Universal-Rechargeable-18650-Li-ion-Battery-Smart-Charger-PLUS/302962696749?_trkparms=aid=333200&algo=COMP.MBE&ao=1&asc=20171012094517&meid=b98227f79ddf4d18ac0e80b3311cf6d4&pid=100008&rk=3&rkt=12&sd=302893558343&itm=302962696749&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

Dont want to buy another charger as well now..

>Also most of the lights circuit boards can't handle more than like 5000 max, even most running a 3700 can be hot
Huh? What kills circuit boards should be the voltage (along with the battery's internal resistance and peak current if we're really living on the edge of what all the components involved can handle), not the total amount of energy stored. That'd be like a car's top speed increasing because you pout in a bigger fuel tank. It'd also make plugging anything into a wall socket an "interesting" affair since the power grid is backed by a basically uncountably large number of mAh.
Do the lower energy batteries tend to drop way below claimed voltage the instant we go below 99% charge or something? Seems a bit much of a flash-light maker to just assume something like that and then stuff in batteries that'll kill the flash-light if they actually do run at the claimed voltage for any length of time.

Without getting into a huge shitshow about lumens vs. candela, battery capacity etc. i need to ask what fucking batteries you got, which ones you use that AREN'T rebranded chinkshit ****fire gorillion mah rated.

Why the fuck would the flash light work fine with the batteries i bought, and be super bright for a week, and then fuck up? even with new batteries?

Because chances are you dun goofed, got shoddy batteries for cheap and the chink night specials you managed to get hold of were closer to 8 volts instead of the max 6 it's rated for, it was brighter for a week because you quite literally burnt the LED and now it won't be as bright because you burnt the LED.

Pic related is what i was using when it dimmed, they are only 3V.

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x300, 10K)

Also other batteries i bought;

ebay.com.au/itm/4x-18650-3-7V-4200mAh-Li-ion-Rechargeable-Battery-AU-Smart-Charger-Indicator-AU/113392906696?hash=item1a66be71c8:g:V0wAAOSw4Vpb9z1m

Only 3.7v, so i highly doubt it's batteries fault.

I guess this is a good thread to ask. I want to standardize my portable electronic gear on the 18650 battery. It started when I got a battery bank with a solar panel and an USB gate. Then I got a led flashlight with an 18650 battery, and it turns out the battery bank can recharge that with the help of a charger. Now I have infinite light. Same bank also recharges my cell phone and Boafeng. Infinite comms. Next I want a camera with an 18650, and a way to supply power to my laptop. Got more 18650 batteries coming in and working on a bigger solar panel + 12v battery unit as well, and trying to find a head lamp that works off 18650s too. I'm interested in hearing what you guys have in the same direction.

Were you using the cr123 when it started dimming or was that after you first used the 18650s? Also, ****fire batteries are well known for being pure shit and more often than not old laptop batteries with a new wrapper on them or even more shoddy shit such as a 14500 in an 18650 shell, the information on them is fucking useless. It might even be several smaller cells in series, they aren't reliable and if you were to take a multimeter to them and actually measure them with proper instruments i doubt they live up to any of what it says.

In short, i'd wager your flashlight got fucked by shitty batteries if anything, and you should spend some more time on forums or here asking about proper batteries before you get something like that. You're really fucking lucky you haven't had your flashlight turn into a real torch instead and had your thumb removed when turning it on.

I was using the CR123A when i noticed the dimming, i only got the 18650 TODAY and same problem persists.

I also bought the LG batteries an hour ago, as i linked in here. Which I'll test in 2 days but i DOUBT it will fix it.

Also better picture of the batteries.

Attached: 20180615_154617.jpg (1152x2048, 771K)

There's fuck all information on the Eiger brand of cr123 as well, meaning there's no telling they're safe either. If the batteries were fucked to begin with then your flashlight will already be ruined, there's nothing that can fix that in that case.

Does it switch modes properly in all steps?

>Does it switch modes properly in all steps?

Yep, works perfectly. It's just the turbo (1000 mode), isn't strong and feels weak.

When you took apart the tail switch, did you make sure to see so there was nothing else in the way there as well?

Take apart? i just unscrewed the caps. Do you want me to actually unscrew the inside?

Otherwise opening back and top end, connectors are clear.

If you haven't cleaned the tail cap then you haven't cleaned it entirely.

Take the tailcap off, unscrew the ring inside with a pair of needle nose pliers or a set of lock ring pliers, alternatively a paper clip. After you've taken out the innards of it clean it all up and make sure there's no grease or dirt on any of the contact surfaces, pure acetone or cleaning alcohol works, wipe it off well. Don't get acetone on any of the plastics. Assemble it all again and see what happens.

Will this void my warranty? since i emailed fenix.

Attached: flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg (454x550, 32K)

Tightening the tail cap and making sure you have full contact is in their own recommended steps, you have to do it to replace the rubber boot too so no, it won't void your warranty at all.

fenix-store.com/troubleshooting-your-flashlight/

There's nothing in this that's anything controversial.

Seriously, is everybody in this thread fucking retarded?
Just buy a fucking Olight and call it a day. You literally cant get better than that.

Attached: 1549730804893.jpg (378x416, 28K)

Just tried it, wouldn't twist anymore. I feel like it's the same strength.

Did you try unscrewing it and clean it all as well?

I’ve actually got a tester and tested Chinese batteries alongside my 300 or so harvested cells. Most laptop or hover board batteries I harvest from are still giving me cells close to 2000mah or better.
The Chinese knockoffs like ultrafire may be as low as somewhere between 150 and 500mah, if you got luckier, all a bit over 1000.
IIRC, 3600mah is the highest capacity 18650 in existence. You can only fit so much rolled up stuff into a cell of that size. Anything that says higher is BS.

I was scared to unscrew it, since i am using a paperclip, i wouldn't be able to put it back. I'll wait till my new 3000 MAH LG batteries arrive, i''ll also mention this in the email when fenix responds to my claim.

My whatever the fuck this offbrand light is is strong as fuck for two years now without issue.

aliexpress.com/item/E17-CREE-XM-L2-2500LM-tactical-cree-led-Torch-Zoom-cree-LED-Flashlight-Torch-light-For/32478207147.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.55cd4c4deByp3D

Don’t buy those.
Those look like flat top cells from laptops. Get a raised button on top of the battery for your light.
Flat tops won’t make contact, I put a dab of solder on top of my flat tops so they work in everything.

Tested this in streamlight hlx. they dont work unless you salvage the cap off a a dead 123 or something to bridge the gap on your + side

Take the paper clip, bend it so you have both the points at the right distance and then use it like that, untwist the ring, gently tap the cap against your hand to get the innards out, then clean. After that put everything on top of the ring, balance it on the paper clip and slowly move it counter-clockwise in the cap until you hear the little edge, after which you screw it in place. It isn't rocket surgery and there's basically nothing you can fuck up there.

Not an issue on the pd35 TAC, the head has a spring as well so it assures contact.

I bought these instead, looked around first and reviews;

vapestreet.com.au/collections/accessories/products/lg-hg2-18650-battery

FOR fucking sake, fuck this is bullshit. Just wasted MORE fucking money.

Attached: 76.jpg (236x285, 6K)

Can you cancel the order?
They sell sets of 4 Westinghouse 2000mah batteries with raised tops right in Walmart you know... 10 bucks or so.

Where do you live, mate?

>Can you cancel the order?

Too fucking late now at 11:25pm.

Australia, Melbourne.

>one person says yes, another says no

Attached: 1556593822338.jpg (1024x620, 190K)

One person has had the PD35 TAC and used it with flat tops, knowing the system, the other used it in a streamlight. Guess which one knows if it works or not.

I use stuff like this to charge my phone etc from naked cells as power banks. Or charge my aa and aaa batteries from an 18650 since I have hundreds of good cells. And plug into a USB port to recharge the 18650s.
I guess I don’t know if any cameras that run on 18650 directly. But all my head lights and floods run on them.

Attached: ECF5C067-8A6B-489D-B557-474A5E9B3277.jpg (4032x3024, 2.16M)

Can you prove it? i feel like i'm being played. My autism is acting up, i need prove otherwise i wont be able to sleep. I just want my damn flashlight to work properly again.

Attached: 1553208701409.jpg (470x512, 67K)

Look at the head of the flashlight, if it says PD35 TAC then take it off the body, is there a spring in the head? If yes, then yes it will fucking work, it'll keep contact seeing as how the spring keeps contact with the battery. If no, your light might be a counterfeit, but it sure as fuck ain't right. Flashlights aren't magical, if you have a solid current path it'll work and the springs in the head and tail will make that happen regardless of the battery.

Buy ebay.com/itm/Folomov-A1-Magnetic-USB-Battery-Charger-Power-Bank-26650-21700-20700-18650-/253870293440?nav=SEARCH
And you can at least use those wrong cells as a power bank for your phone.

Yep it's got it, man i fucking hope this new battery fixes the problem.

You might still have to clean the actual tailcap.

Thinking now, i don't see how it would get dirty. I kept it clean and never opened it etc..

The tailcap isn't 100% clean from the factory either. It's not about it getting dirty, it's about it being dirty, and unlike watches these aren't assembled in a dustproof lab, they're assembled in a regular factory.

I assume you mean rechargeable aas and aaas? I have a bunch of stuff that run on those. Haven't considered until now that I could recharge them. My solar power bank is just a couple of months old.

You have some interesting cables there. Looks very minimalistic. I like that. What are they called, and can they be used on anything but 18650?

Olight sells a headlamp with an 18650. Model H2r. It's a great light: bright as shit, floody, magnetic tail, magnetic charging (without removing the battery), and it has an SOS feature for when your ass is lost in the woods.

I am probably going to buy one of those things in the next hour. The only thing that slightly puzzles me is that apparently it can be used both for using the battery to juice up other things, and to juice up the battery from banks or car lighter chargers? No switches necessary, it just sends the power where it is needed? What blows my mind is that if it's this neato, why haven't I heard about it before?

>buying chink knockoff 18650s
>buying 18650s with FIRE written on the side of them
Enjoy your second degree burns

All my flashlights are chinese.
Do some research. Learn the difference between the various leds and don't expect to pay 50 what is worth 500.
Pay 50 what it's worth 150.

No 18650 has that kind of capacity. 2000-3000 mah is typical. If you are seeing twice that advertised on some cheap chinese shit why the fuck would you believe it? If Samsung or Panasonic can only fit 3000 in their top of the line 18650s how is some knock of chinese brand at half the price doubling the capacity? They aren't.
Stop buying overhyped nonsense. Just because somebody slaps a 1000 lumens label on a flashlight doesn't mean it is 1000 lumens. Just because somebody slaps a 6500 mah label on a battery doesn't mean it is 6500 mah. Consider these lessons learned.

Yeah, it's super handy if you have space for some loose batteries plus it. Even better if you have something solar with you to charge from if you are out in the middle of nowhere.
The blue one is more of a straight charger, but the reason I have it is because it can do both li-ion and standard AA AAA and I can use it with the grey one to charge them the AA AAAs from an 18650.
The xDragon is basically to keep me informed on the volts and amps. If the amps drop too low, it means either my 18650 is near dead and will take forever to trickle any more into my AA, or the battery I'm charging is so near full that it's only a trickle at this point.
>What blows my mind is that if it's this neato, why haven't I heard about it before?
Because most people don't have 18650 batteries laying around. And walmart doesn't sell anything but enclosed power banks.

Attached: IMG_6347.jpg (2016x1512, 717K)

Was it both 1. LED and 2. Cheap?

If yes to both then its fuckered. Well, since it was Chinese, if it's just LED its fuckered.

LEDs have a different life then a tungsten light bulb. If you feed too much current through a tungsten bulb it'll glow brighter and burn out pretty quick. If you overrun an LED its BEAUTIFULLY BRIGHT for a month or so before the brightness takes a nosedive as if the batteries are only at a 25% charge. The only way to repair it is to replace the LED, then again itll just happen again so you want to reduce the current to the LED by finding the resistor in line with the LED and increasing its value but that'll effect brightness.

Sorry friend, its fuckered. Buy led flashlights from good companies that don't create products as cheaply as possible and take shortcuts to save pennies per item by skimping on components.

Should've just gotten a Streamlight.

>I assume you mean rechargeable aas and aaas?
Yup, missed your post at first, was on my phone before so I don't see the (you)s on my pc.
I hook the blue one to the grey one and charge them anywhere.
So in this pic, the 18650 is charging my AAA.
EBL brand batteries are cheap and actually very close to advertised capacity. My "2800mah" AAs usually do 2600mah or better, and the "1100mah" AAAs run 950+mah when I've tested them. Not bad considering alkaline batteries are about 2000 for AA and 1000 for AAA IIRC.

Attached: CSIMG_130_1.jpg (2016x1512, 875K)

It's a Fenix, Chinese made but it's a reputable brand. Doesn't matter what brand it is if it's the wrong batteries and/or improperly maintained, even a Malkoff would get fucked over by that.

Alright. Fair enough. I dont know the brand and their quality. I could be wrong but if you ask me it sounds exactly like what happens when you overrun a LED.

That does it nicely. I'm getting both. Probably eventually buy one of each for home, the cabin and one the BOB.

As i've stated already throughout the thread, however i'm beginning to wonder if there isn't some schmoo where no schmoo should be, in the tailcap. Otherwise it'd affect it all and that is possible, but right now something increasing resistance is an option as well.

And I should add, that while that xdragon isn't nearly as handy as a real tester like this, you can at least manually go through the effort of testing battery capacity on your 18650s. It has a few modes, and one shows the actually mah numbers flowing in/out of something. I've used it to test the charge capacities of dead tablets etc. Results should still be pretty close to a proper discharge test.
But it's a pain vs just setting your batteries on a discharge test 4 at a time and coming back to see results later.

Attached: IMG_6346.jpg (2016x1512, 891K)

Been playing around with it, whats everyone think of the beam? I know it's hard to decide via photos, but does it look like it's 1000 lumens?

Attached: 20190502_004303.jpg (4032x3024, 3.83M)

Attached: 20190502_004244.jpg (3024x3004, 2.75M)

>when you overrun a LED.

not with those puny batteries

I have an oldschool multimeter. Up to now I have just checked voltage, which is a moment's work. Maybe I'll try to fiddle with it to get out more info.

Also got an recharging station that came with the flashlight. It just shows a green bulb when the battery is ready, but it is something. Also got a battery pack in the mail which includes yet another charger. Doubt it has a display though.

>Olight
Never heard of them honestly. Which ones do you have?

I got some cheap Gearlights 6 months ago and they've been fine. 300 lumens, no problems except the chink carbon batteries they came with got replaced. I don't need a 1000 lumen floodlight in my pocket so I purchased accordingly.

Mate, bunnings doesn't have what you need. Go to a place like liteshop.com.au and buy the branded batteries that have integrated protection circuits.
Also, while you're there buy a Wowtac A1S

Incidentally, does anyone have a simple way to actually measure lumen output?

Buy another flashlight and compare to that.

This looks about right.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Make sure the head is fully tightened down.

So much this.

A good reference is lygte-info.dk/info/indexBatteriesAndChargers UK.html
Though beware chinese manufacturers are always changing their shit up; the same brand with identical shrinkwrap may have completely different cells inside; it might be good one year because Chang scored a deal on some slightly-out-of-spec premium cells, and trash the next because Chang's buddy Yang made a special run of cells with 20% of the capacity for 70% of the price.

homedepot.com/p/Rayovac-300-Lumen-Workhorse-Pro-2AA-LED-Virtually-Indestructible-Flashlight-DIY2AA-BC/206767090

1000rds downrange with this on my waifu so far. Still works. Bought one of those cheap clamp type mounts off of amazon for it.

no one actually needs 1000 lumens

Mine starts to dim after a minute in 1000 mod
Fenix is shit

Do you also have a PD35 TAC? What batteries are you using with it?

SHALL

Yes
3500 ones from fenix website. It also gets VERY hot.
I also don't like the middle circle beam it emits, it's too big

Time it and see how long it takes. Be happy it shuts down when it gets too hot or your flashlight would get ruined.

If you don't like the beam pattern find a different light or use a diffuser, they're meant to have some throw but they aren't meant to be full on searchlights.

Fuck off fenix rep

>this flashlight is shit it dims in a minute
>asked specifics
>gives specifics, also throws in completely fucking unrelated point which is the fault of the buyer and not the flashlight itself
>asked to time the flashlight, beam pattern explained
>FUCK OFF FENIX REP

In other news, man who ordered a hamburger mad that he didn't get a burrito.

Why do all chink battery names reference fire in some way?
Oh yeah, they're more likely to burn your house down than work as a proper battery.

It's the batteries you tard.
Buy these
illumn.com/18650-keeppower-3500mah-sanyo-ncr18650ga-protected-button-top.html

Fancy lettering and designs on batteries = shit