Price of a single 155mm unguided artillery shell is around $1000

>Price of a single 155mm unguided artillery shell is around $1000

Holy Shit

This shit is expensive.

Attached: LCA_155mmTanks_M107.jpg (138x270, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

weaponsystems.net/weaponsystem/BB01 - M67.html
dacis.com/budget/budget_pdf/FY17/PROC/A/E34000_23.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=kGkCDwpJciU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>This shit is expensive.
Its dirt cheap compared to small HEs like 40mm or frags

It cost about a 400k a shot for the 76 cannon on the ship I was stationed on, prolly about 500k with inflation now.

No it didn't retard.

How much does a 122 unguided shell cost tho? I bet it is way cheaper

Manufacturers jewing the federal government. The cost is no where near 1000.

>buy unguided 155mm for one thousand shekels
>duct tape to $50 used Red Ryder wagon
>affix wheels to be straight
>cellphone detonator
>roll down large hill
>detonate when you see it stop moving
=profit

1: Military industrial complex will jack prices through the roof because Congress approves military budgets in the hundreds of billions
2: comparatively it's cheap as all holy fuck

Not expensive compared to a human life

That is small potatoes. You should see the price of a M865A1 Training Sabot. And thats just for a fucking training round.

This. Think about how much it costs id one grunt dies. Now think about how many artillery shells the military can afford to use to avoid the loss of one life.

The M865A3 Sabot
The sabot is of composite material. This variant is unofficially referred to by Abrams tank crews as the "super sabot".It costs around $8,500.

Attached: yUmLAZu.jpg (820x720, 193K)

what the fuck do you know about the research, development and manufacturing of heavy ordnance you fucking armchair cockgobbler

M829A3, sorry my bad.

>precision machining and some anti-corrosion coating
>air burst sensor
>high reliability detonator so it wont just dud like its ww1
>above parts have to withstand going from 0 to 100 instantly and survive extreme weather like getting rained on

Yeah, $1000 seems about right. Put your pc or xbox one outside during a light drizzle for a week and see how it holds up OP

Look up the M982 and prepare to shit your pants OP.

A day or two of mortar live firing can cost upwards of £80,000, and thats just with a couple barrels, so that doesnt really surprise me.

Really, a standard frag grenade costs over $1k? That seems really steep, I heard that Soviet RPG's can be had for under $10 in some countries.

fuck off yurotrash

they're not making them though, they're just selling from stockpiles
i doubt you can make rpgs for $10

For as much steel and Comp B in those things, that's actually pretty cheap

weaponsystems.net/weaponsystem/BB01 - M67.html

it's about 15 lbs of Comp B in those.

No u

Frags are cheap as fuck to manufacture. Its stamped sheet metal, some explosive compound and shrapnel and an easy to make ignition system. There is no way a frag grenade costs more than $10 to manufacture

>There is no way a frag grenade costs more than $10 to manufacture
It all depends on how the gov does the accounting.

A lot of these prices are insane because they way the GAO figures them includes R&D costs, shipping, certification testing, the packaging material they are shipped in/with, and in some cases even building the plant which produces them.

If you look at the link l posted according to that site its only $4

>stamped sheet metal

I thought it was some sort of brittle cast iron / steel.

>muh r&d

Literally every retarded boomer justifying price gouging kikery everywhere.

Go post in a thread defending acogs, triggers and suppressors too.

You forgot the bureaucrats in the middle taking their cuts.

t. fired from a government job because I found a way to save a boatload of money

More bang for the bucks.

Attached: M777.jpg (3840x2160, 1.32M)

WW2 era ones were. Simply a cast iron container.
Most modern ones are either stamped steel with a glued fragmentation sleeve or simply shot in a polymer matrix.

Are those M557 fuzes?

ok then do it cheaper fag
but you wont
because you cant

interesting, I had no idea

Oh now the other boomer argument. Excellent.

Convenient also laws prevent me from doing that without starting capital. Neck yourself boom boom

I mean you personally are incapable of it

A block ii AIM 9x costs about 600,000 dollars.

>One Hundred Thousand Dollars
>A fucking 40mm grenade with wings
>$40 grenade
>$300 RC Plane
>$100 FPV gear
ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS

Attached: Switchblade.png (724x474, 175K)

You think that's expensive just wait until you hear how much money your country gives to Israel no strings attached.

Attached: 1552245375821.jpg (900x900, 114K)

Would you happen to know how much the DM53-A1 and 120mm M865 TPCSDS-T cost?

Cost would go down if the faggots in wash would open them up to the recreational civilian market.

that's the same thing as AKs going for 25 bucks in africa
Those are sold from stockpiles and don't cover the production cost but are rather the price dictated by supply and demand

Pretty much
The precision of fabrication has to be pretty high if you want to make on point hits at several miles
Also does any of the autists in here happen to have a reference on the accuracy of artillery?

>$1000

doubt.tiff

a basic 500lb bomb was listed as like 400 bux a few years back by gao

Where the fuck are you buying them? The prices we run with are around 350-ish on current lot

To be fair, the artillery has to get launched, so it has primer and propellant and stuff. An unguided bomb just has to go off, gravity and the plane do all the work.

>I heard that Soviet RPG's can be had for under $10 in some countries.
It's not that cheap, more like lowest $50 for a licensed variant or knockoff from China, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Sudan, Pakistan, Nigeria, Myanmar, etc.

It isn't that simple. While a surplus RGD-5 might cost $5-$10 if over 20 years old, a new manufacture M67 is going to cost quite a bit more.
According to dacis.com/budget/budget_pdf/FY17/PROC/A/E34000_23.pdf

In FY2017, the Army paid ~$51 per M67 purchased

In comparison the RGD-5 is still produced, new manufacture ones are under $35

M795 shells are only around $500 to replace whatever is fired. Way less than the $1,000 initially quoted as being the standard unguided round cost.

Would you trade a PSA AR with cheap scope for a m795 for home defense?

if I wanted to kill both the fucker and me, yes

>$51 per M67
Thats gotta be bureaucracy. The materials are cheap as fuck and i refuse to believe labor cost raise unit price that much

yeah, they found out that despite the "pineapple" shape of those early cast grenades they didn't fragment into pieces like one would think they would. You'd have situations where a grenade would go off, someone very close to it would be totally unhurt while someone a hundred meters away takes a huge chunk of shrapnel. The modern designs are more effective at producing a more even distribution of fragments.

The lowest recorded value the .gov ever spent on M67's was ~$5.

Mind you it's a design that's been around, produced, since the late 60's

So that was probably ~$5 in the 70's-80's before runaway inflation.
But even if you have a large enough order in say the 80's you could hit that in scaling.

From what I understand, unlike the Soviet RGD-5, for example, the M67 has gone entire years without being produced - not in block time mind you - a year here, a year there since the start of production. Shutting down and restarting production, or keeping very low rate production to keep the lights on.
That kind of shit tends to exponentially effect unit costs, and the M67 has PLENTY of competitors.
NATO countries don't go out of their way to buy american grenades/mines when the Italians, Germans, Swedes and Austrians have shit hot systems

Then the wars skyrocketed up the demand as M67's were getting expended at an expedited rate.
FY2017 is a year where the army bought an unusually high amount of M67's to replenish depleted/expired stock

The most expensive part of the grenade is the fuse anyway

You go buy all those components, put them together, and tell us how well it works out for you.

Well I know I'd want the most attention paid to the part that decides if it goes boom on my belt or in the enemies hidey hole.

>This shit is expensive.
go price a tomahawk

when you jump through all the hoops it takes to do business with the federal government, suddenly an $800 toilet seat no longer seems out-of-line.

You gotta handload to keep the price down man

>So that was probably ~$5 in the 70's-80's before runaway inflation.
you know how i can tell you werent alive in the 70s-80s? because thats when we had runaway inflation. fucking prime rate was 13% in the early 80s. i should know, i had a variable rate mortgage.

10 glass beads each, one free Manhattan with every purchase last time I checked.

>1000 per shell

Thats what happens when the goberment Facilitates a monopoly. Literally all the arms dealers are in bed with or directly working in government. Its horse shit.

Taxation is theft but you could have free healthcare and college at the current tax rate. If you lowered military spending to 100 billion and got rid of that Ponzi scheme lovingly known as Social Security. Anyone with a calculator and a home computer can prove this to themselves at home if they want.

Do you regulate arms allow common citizens to make bombs and sell them to whoever they want now! I know 80 Mexicans who can sell artillery shells for 40 bucks a pop, all the need it meth and some water.

Attached: 0162674A-8A30-4249-9E29-A4C04CF61DC0.png (900x531, 243K)

>free healthcare and college at the current tax rate
>if you pay for stuff it becomes free

Machinist here, only making guesses from what I see on pics and drawings.

The shell is hollow forged and it's neck threaded with a lathe, dunno if the out- and/or inside get smoothened. I assume it's hardened and tempered after that, that's two machines and a Forge already.
The hull of the fuse and it's inner components are machined and probably assembled in a dedicated machine or by hand.
The payload is injected, probably also by a dedicated machine.
Then you have the paint job and QC.
Electricity+personell+material+logistics+gas+production and profit.
$1000 doesn't seem so bad, mass production is a good thing.

Attached: m107_usafas[1].jpg (556x610, 33K)

>state health care
67 dollars a month
>whats is cover?
Everything

>my healthcare from work
150 dollars per month
>whats it cover
Teeth cleaning and some Ibuprofen after a 1200 dollar deductible

If you wanna split hairs you can go back to tick tock with the other zoomers and leave the advanced topics to people who are old enough to vote.

Do you think $1,000 is an expensive price to level a building?

One javelin is $80,000

You profit if it does at least twice that cost in damage to the enemy.

frag grenades are fairly cheap, and I wouldn't thin 40mm's are more expensive than an artillery shell. basically a grenade is just a spoon lever, a firing pin or hammer, a spring, detonator, explosive, a case, and maybe some shrapnel. considering in Sweden grenades are cheaper than a cone of ice cream, they probably don't cost that much to produce, even if supply and demand are a thing.

it does not sound very expensive desu
in 1997 a guided shell was meant to cost 4000 $ a shell
by 2008 its something like 85000 $ a shell
and FGM-148 Javelin is something like 174,000 $ for a shot

so assume something is only bad value if it misses the target
or if its worth significantly more than what its destroys

Attached: M982 Excalibur.jpg (1200x1200, 108K)

What about Russian ramjet fuses attached to regular 152mm shells?

I heard they got it for cheap.

Attached: 1529440050_3.png (1167x1500, 1.37M)

>Thats gotta be bureaucracy. The materials are cheap as fuck and i refuse to believe labor cost raise unit price that much
the unit cost is because they don't want it exploding when it isn't supposed to.

>because you can’t do it yourself it means the price is justified
Fuck you’re a retard.
Oh and muh rd is such a retarded fucking boomer argument.
Dumbfuck, that has been recuperated already or it’s fucking negligible. What fucking rd goes into an acog? It’s 30 years old. Hell, even the tooling is already bought and paid for many times over.

That's why Afghanistan/Iraq is such a terrible money pit.

how much do you think a human life is?

Still cheaper than missiles

Not him, but 1-2 million

Lmao BS, 57mm 3P is only like 8.5K. Anything military typically has the lifetime service cost attached to the price tag, it's not a pure manufacture cost.
t. I work on naval guns

I've heard there's a video of one of these flying through a tank full of goats. I've also heard the video was destroyed but it has to be out on the internet somewhere

The explosive compounds are also made in a lab by people who probably get a big paycheck too.

it's not like many people can do it though

>his work insurance covers dental

get a load of this effete dandy lmao

Attached: 1481035929998.jpg (944x745, 71K)

I mean the SGLI alone is $400k. That's not to mention the cost of training and years of service it would take to replace someone depending on MOS and rank. On top of that depending on the governmental agency a normal civilians life is worth around $6-$9 million. So a single soldier is probably well over $10 million.

Eh explosive manufacture is fairly mature industry. Manufacture of common fillers like TNT and RDX are frankly textbook knowledge at this point. The big changes in their manufacture over time are just the progressive automation you see in other areas of chemical manufacture. There's money in it, but you follow that boom and bust cycle with the MIC.

Da dum tssss

It's $1000 that can level a $1000000 building with one good hit. If you think of it that way it's very good value for money.

Our humans? Quite a lot. Goat fuckers? Not so much. If they cared about the cost of human lives they'd just bomb the shit out of every suspicious rock in the sandbox.

Only our white and maybe asian ones. The rest, as far as I’m concerned, are a net gain when they die.

The way that the cost of rounds is determined is fucking retarded.
The mere existence of government accounting and bureaucracy should be enough to send even Bernie Sanders back to the drawing board when discussing making new programs.

Everyone loves to blame the MIC for the insane costs, but never seems to take into account that the government is literally the reason that costs are inflated.

>When you get your engineering BS and then MBA in engineering management to go into defense contracting and find out the majority of the reason military shit is so expensive is because of bureaucracy plus overhead and not actual material and labor costs

Attached: 1527891701060.jpg (640x844, 56K)

Or cause the loss of a shitload more adversaries.

PeterSirpol did something close
3:36 for successful launch
youtube.com/watch?v=kGkCDwpJciU

Nice counter argument shitbrain

THe Javelin is like half that unless you talking in some sorta funny money. Still very expensive but not 174000

40mm grenades need fairly precise engineering, their fuzes are a bit overdesigned so I can definitely see cost of labor and production getting well over $1k

No match for Chinese 20mm airburst super grenade.

>He thinks you can put a price on killing stuff more deader.
There are children in the middle east who haven't experienced a drone strike in WEEKS, you sick fuck. Think of the children.

Attached: 1556569297308.gif (250x233, 1.5M)

For the weight, maybe.

$1k is actually cheap as far as ordinance goes. High explosives are dangerous to make and fuses don't grown on trees.

The Stinger MANPAD actually costs $38k for comparison with a much smaller payload.