Counter-balance Recoil LMGs

Why is this not a thing? Why are counter-balance recoil mechanisms only used for assault rifles - guns you are meant to shoot in semi-automatic, instead of guns such as SAWs and LMGs, which actually ARE shot in full-auto bursts?
There's much to be gained in a counter-balanced LMG

Attached: counter balance recoil.gif (475x143, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lJs9sBBjLls
youtube.com/watch?v=xk6HUG13vBM
youtube.com/watch?v=R1zQuWpsYZY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Full auto is essentially only used for suppression, why increase cost/complexity with a counter recoil system?

I've always thought the same thing as to why counter balance systems are not common when they're a fucking god send. Especially with high rates of fire and higher caliber weapons like battle rifles. My guess would be maintenance and reliability but the reliability can be easily solved with a bit of engineering. As for maintenance, it doesn't matter. After every field problem and sometimes just for the fuck of it, we cleaned our weapons for hours to the point that some weapons became permanently damaged. So maintenance on it would still be just as gay.

youtube.com/watch?v=lJs9sBBjLls

with counter balance assault rifle no longer needs to be shot in semi-auto when all your rounds hit target

Perhaps a muzzle brakes gets you most of the way with no moving parts.

And if side to side movement isn't solved, you're back to semi auto at 80m anyway.

SAWs and LMGs tend to be pretty heavy to begin with which helps absorb recoil

>never shows groupings

Attached: 1391205938282.jpg (500x480, 61K)

Why does it have a muzzle brake?

More moving parts to break/ maintain
More weight

KAC's LMG uses some version of this. It's supposed to be the softest recoiling 7.62 machine gun ever made.

Attached: KAC.png (890x292, 183K)

it doesn't have a counter balance, it's got a really long receiver and the recoiling mass never touches the end, just stops and returns under spring tension

more weight, more complexity, and the "people" expected to use them have double digit iqs.

So... uh... gas piston where there's a reciprocating mass going the other way....?

So... uh... a counter balance recoil mechanism....?

The original AK is goat because everything about it is retard proof and pretty much unbreakable. When you start adding more delicate and intricate parts for some vague increase in performance it just isn't worth it

Okay, I'll explain it real quick for the brainlets. There are 3 stages of recoil for automatic fire. Burst, transition and learned. The first 3 rounds are the burst phase. There's a minimal decrease in accuracy as the shooter is only just beginning to receive the recoil. The next ten rounds are transition. This is the most inaccurate phase. The shooter is now fully feeling the recoil of the weapon, but hasn't yet compensated for it. The last phase is learned. The shooter is now applying the right level of force to counteract the sustained recoil of the weapon and is shooting more accurately.

Assualt rifles rarely ever get to the learned phase. They don't have large enough magazines for it. A counter balance system is useful in an assualt rifle because it helps dampen the transition phase. An LMG user will spend most of their time firing the weapon in the learned phase, so LMGs don't need a counterbalance system.

Attached: 1553662438443.jpg (600x402, 57K)

ST Kinetics already made the Ultimax, so...
youtube.com/watch?v=xk6HUG13vBM

youtube.com/watch?v=R1zQuWpsYZY

damn that makes sense

that looks better than the ak107 wtf

I’d like to see how this actually feels, doesn’t seem like it would do much since the weight of that rod is way way less than the weight of the bolt.

Vickers' trigger squeeze is fucking terrible. He does this with every gun he uses. The russian dude was pulling only far enough to fire, and only letting go enough to feel the reset.

Vickers fat ass just mashes the fucking trigger back and forth like his mandibles mash cheeseburgers from MCDs.

You'd be surprised what lower RPM and a heavier counterbalance can do for a LMG

Third option: what about constant recoil and balanced recoil in the same gun? Less recoil than russian aek or american ultimak. Hypothetically, you could have it shoot the largest heaviest steel/tungsten calibers, the longest cartridges going 4000 fps and make it shoot faster than g11 or an94 all while still having precise accuracy since you won't be dealing with any recoil

Attached: 1463183401846.gif (324x234, 9K)

If counter-recoil actually worked as advertised, they probably wouldn't have felt the need to put a muzzle brake on it or chamber it in a round that's practically recoil-free to begin with.

>There are 3 stages of recoil for automatic fire. Burst, transition and learned. The first 3 rounds are the burst phase. There's a minimal decrease in accuracy as the shooter is only just beginning to receive the recoil. The next ten rounds are transition. This is the most inaccurate phase. The shooter is now fully feeling the recoil of the weapon, but hasn't yet compensated for it. The last phase is learned. The shooter is now applying the right level of force to counteract the sustained recoil of the weapon and is shooting more accurately.
This is good information.

ultimax isnt counterbalanced tho?

He probably meant reciprocating weight rather than counterbalance. As in, a heavier bolt carrier and lower RPM make recoil minimal.

The first balance gun is a LMG.

Attached: Bal08.jpg (1024x366, 50K)

Ultimax and KAC LMG are not Balance gun, they are Sullivan constant recoil.

They are 2 different system you dumb nigger.

Those things f****** suck and reliability however they do incorporate muzzle brakes and stuff another thing is weight of the lmg, plus bipod or tripods that they are usually used recoat on that ER

Not a big deal, you can still see the difference in recoil.

I fucking hate that guy

>counterbalanced recoil SMG that runs at 1200 rpm but dumps them all into a 10 MOA 25-yard group

i mean most doctrine would say you shouldn't be shooting bursts >10 rounds with your LMG

What if you combined this with a hydraulic buffer?
I think that could get similar results in much shorter receivers.

The thing is you can used the learned part of previous experinces to compensate. With a 30 round mag you barely start the learning process before running out.

31 lives mattrr

Answer: it's totally unnecessary.
is correct.
You don't fire from the shoulder or at the hip with MGs. You fire for a few seconds every few seconds in cover and/or prone to suppress the enemy.
>assault rifles - guns you are meant to shoot in semi-automatic
No, aimed shots in semiautomatic only. Full-auto for exactly the same purpose as a MG.
Counterbalance is wasteful in every application.

It does the same job and is better in practice, you dumb assclapping fuck

I’m pretty sure the laws of physics would make it very difficult to entirely eliminate felt recoil in a gun... Can you explain why this would be possible?

>The russian dude was pulling only far enough to fire, and only letting go enough to feel the reset.
believe it or not this really doesn't fucking matter

look at how rob leatham presses the trigger

i mean you have "recoilless rifles" like the carl gustav

it's just not practical for a counterbalance recoil system to be 1:1 because if your counterbalance is the same weight as your bolt carrier group, it's going to make your gun really fucking heavy

It is impossible without throwing some other mass behind the shooter (like a recoilless rifle or muzzle brake). The point of these recoil systems is to reduce the effects of the reciprocating parts during cycling, which add a lot of felt recoil to the firing process.

Well the Carl Gustav shoots gas out the back as a counter-force, which means it’s only really useful for rocket launchers and other shoulder-mounted weapons. Actually “shouldering” it like you would a normal rifle will probably... Kill you.

based

i.e., recoilless rifles are just really big muzzle brakes

I can't wait for us to find a way to convert electricity into gravity. Then we could make zero recoil guns.

>riding the reset in 20-fucking-19
LMAO!

>implying I should want to fire 300rd per minute
one shot one kill hooah?

Yeah what does he know, he probably never operated in his life