ESEE Knives

What does Jow Forums think of ESEE knives?

Attached: 9810EEA1-4E6A-47BB-80C6-C470D68267D3.jpg (350x519, 48K)

I've owned them and many brands.over the years, some costing several times more than esee. They're great knives, I've broken a lot of them from retardation, but even so it took a shit ton of abuse for it to break. Coating is meh, but that's literally 99% coating
She ae the are a plastic mold, but they're more decent than most. Also their warranty is pretty damn pimp. Esee is pretty much the ultimate Jow Forums knife. They're durable, they hold an edge, they feel good in hand, most people will never abuse them enough to even break them. People like namefag will step in and say how they're soft steal, blah l, blag, blag. All these trip fags never use their gear. Look at the esee 5, got shot with .308, 9mm, .45 scp, didnt break or crack at all, yet people will say their shit chips and. Breaks with barely any use. Garand thumb, Dave Canterburry, Ray Mears, bunch of other survival instructors and shit recommend them.

great knives if you have the money, if not then get an Ontario RAT knife

Good knives, come with a great warranty, coating is typical of coatings. Arguably a little over priced and thicker than necessary. Overall you won't regret getting one unless you're overly focused on getting the absolute best deal at any given moment.

Thats the retard price for the warranty. No matter who the owner is and how it breaks, they'll replace that shit for nothing more than SnH? Yeah, tad thicker, shit holds and edge and cuts.

If the coating is a deal breaker you always have the option to buy the Izula and ESEE4 in 440c which they made for people bitching about the 1095 in humid/wet environments.

I see ESEEs on sale a good bit so I feel like you can get away with spending slightly more than the Ontario RAT and get a better knife with a better warranty.

I’ve wanted to get an Izula II abut ended up getting a fixed blade protech rockeye instead. Don’t use a fixed blade nearly as much as a folder so really haven’t been in too much of a rush to get another fixed blade
Pic related

Attached: 6C872F4D-746E-4A06-80E3-B8D02C896A84.jpg (3264x2448, 1.62M)

Anyone recommend a company that makes a good Kydex sheath for the ESEE 4?

Attached: 5D567041-044B-42ED-AAB7-013D99205CD7.jpg (471x413, 35K)

Shitty and overpriced

Good knives, I've used the ESEE 6 and 4 on innawoods excursions and they hold up to just about anything. Are there better knives out there? Yeah, but you're also gonna be paying double or triple the price.

If you're not sure which one to get, then go with the 4. It's been my favorite so far. The 6 is close to rambos knife i.e it's fucking huge.

The 4 fits my hand much better and you can do more mundane tasks with it. They both have sharpened up quite well. All this coupled with the you break it we replace it warranty is a no brainer.

Stripping the coating and forcing a patina is an option also.

>outdoor knife
>shitty carbon steel

Get a fuckin kabar

Cheaper

Performs just as well

Attached: 0253E835-C7B1-4D62-B214-BFBE756E17C3.jpg (709x808, 68K)

>Performs just as well
*better

Spend a few bucks more and get a Fallkniven F1 instead.

>shoot the strongest part of the knife that isn't exposed to much use
>doesn't break
And water is still wet. Have someone shoot the cutting edge and see what happens.

ESEEs and their many clones are ususally good. I got a RAT 5 instead of an ESEE simply because it was a deal I couldn't pass up. Lots of people get autistic and shill one brand over the other when it comes to this style, just pick one and enjoy them. Also know that most kydex sheaths rely on the specific shape and friction of the stock handles. Don't go getting nice grips and think they'll retain well without proper fitting.

>boomer

20 y/o who lives in woods and gets paid for it

Nice try though

Attached: 55154D91-51FB-4D28-BC41-C2E8FA3AB585.jpg (3264x2448, 1.37M)

How

Not that user but there are tons of ways. Forrester, wildlands fire fighter, working for fish and game, logger, game warden, lineman in rural areas, etc...

Logging / tree work

Big fuckin camp that I live at, when this is done it’s on to the oil fields

Persistence pays off

Ka-Bar a shit

Which fields? Bakken?

I've never used any of them but I'm quite skeptical about the construction.
>Full tang
I don't abuse the knife like certain people do, so I just don't need it.
>flat cheeks and small bevel
I don't think that this is a practical blade type for camping/survival/bushcraft similar tasks. I prefer scandi grind.
>shitty carbon steel
The only shitty carbon steel is the carbon steel that was made in the pre-industrial era.
No.
>handguard that makes performance of certain tasks difficult
>leather handle
>huge blade
Just no.

My perfect camping knife would be something like this:
>12 cm Lauri carbon steel blade - thick stick tang, scandi grind, no fullers, no choils
>basic barrel-shaped handle made of wood or birch bark with no safety measures like crossguard or ergonomic cuts
>brass bolster and probably brass butt on the handle
>leather sheath with a wide loop

Don’t mind me just a Fallkniven A1 passing through

Attached: 0572ABEC-43C9-4A41-A211-13A1B83391AB.jpg (700x525, 362K)

Which one?

Attached: E182FC7F-BA89-4005-8330-A1CEC3A729EC.jpg (1024x764, 154K)

I've had several that I eventually sold. They are quality knives but nothing special. ESEE is basically just a marketing company as they don't make anything themselves. If you like the design, then get it...just realize that its not that special. Some of the tools on the knife boards act like their blades are as strong as the Hammer of Thor. Its nonsense.

As far as their warranty goes, I don't think its that much better than the competition. Most reputable companies will stand behind their product if a knife breaks.

Also, owners are a couple of dicks that project a faux tough guy image. While they can occasionally be funny, I really don't want to support them since they seem like major pricks.

They are 6/10.
Very pricy and mediocre design wise.
Loosing a knife is not covered by the warranty and that is your biggest concern while being outside.
They are overbuilt and made for tasks that are considered abuse when talking knives, namely batoning, prying and chopping.
Get one in 440c, not only is it superior but they don't cover rust and wear in their warranty and 1095 puts on rust during one day near the coast.

Would I get one?
No, knives don't break if they're made probably and if you know how far you can go.
You spend the extra money on the warranty, which you will probably never use.
Pic related is a 25€ camp knife from Amazon i use for 5 years now, chopping batoning and all. A bit of the rose wood handle chipped away but that's it.

BUT
If you ever get the chance to grab a used one second hand for a comfy amount of money, get it. The warranty is bound to the knife so you can just fuck around until it breaks and get a new one.

Attached: 1555004256053.jpg (1920x1440, 715K)

>My perfect camping knife would be something like this:

so basically a puukko?

>esee
Órale!!!

Attached: 81h4MwXluDL._SX355_.jpg (355x317, 23K)

Why does the Ontario RAT get so much hate online? The ESEE is a better knife but it’s not that much better. People on outdoor forums act like it’s garbage.

whats the warranty, the one online is generic and doesnt seem to cover much defects agaisnt worksmanship

then that says its generally 6 months

I have a Izula it's my favorite general use knife

The knives are good, but most of the grips are shit for long term use. Not due to construction, but ergonomics.

Look for the HM, or Handle Modified versions; particularly the Esee 4HM, as the ergonomics are vastly superior at the expense of not looking as tacticool

pic related

Attached: ESEE-4HM.jpg (1008x672, 69K)

Good to go

Attached: ce28b11c-59fc-494d-b885-d5a02e55be4d.jpg (720x720, 89K)

Smaller knives are cool and they make some high quality stuff, although bigger knives similar to the Becker series are dancer. Also over priced.
Besides getting them out of cool factor, I probably wouldn't get one over a cheaper knife like a condor or mora.

I think it’s called grizzly something. Grizzly outdoors? They make some decent looking ones

Check out 'the knife connection'

The RAT series is hot garbage. Ontario did some shifty things with the rat-7 specifically. Made it in 1095 then switched to some mystery steel for a while. I've had 2 chip out on me and they came super dull from factory. When I asked customer service they said "we purposefully send them out not sharp so the don't roll over..." Wouldn't trust them for anything honestly. I've had cheaper options last years of batoning/bushcraft tasks. Take a look at Bark River, Hultafors, Mora hell even SOG makes decent fixed blade knives.

Yes.