Old rifles that still get the job done

Does anyone have old rifles that just get the job done?

My daughter killed a Feral Pig today using the families Krag–Jorgensen. (Photo not mine)

Attached: 2be8d48a59d05a4b1d74fb5ababd9885.jpg (700x141, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oQAqNqaiQwY
books.google.com/books?id=vb3dDN9FiekC&pg=PA101&lpg=PA101&dq=HP White Laboratory "1903a3"&source=bl&ots=Mc_jPzw0z3&sig=ACfU3U2OLbBXZlAosKAW9oqjrZiSA4vC0A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjw2pLcr_7hAhUQneAKHdsLBVMQ6AEwAHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=HP White Laboratory "1903a3"&f=false
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have an old NRA sporter 03 and the .22 Pop-Pop trained Dad on, but neither has been blooded in my lifetime.

Wait a minute. Why the fuck do you let your daughter hunt with a rifle that has only one nerve-rack-fucking locking lug? You satanic monster. SHE HOLDS THAT THING UP TO HER EYE. SHE COULD PUT HER EYE OUT. FUCK.

Basically any gun that fires a self-contained cartridge will “get the job done”, depending on what exactly the job in question is. That’s why when people tell me a certain gun is obsolete, I ask “Obsolete for what, exactly?” There’s lots of uses for guns besides hunkering down in your basement waiting for the RaHoWa. A single-shot shotgun or a bolt-action rifle with iron sights will put food on the table or take care of a coyote or wild hog problem just as well as anything.

It has two locking surfaces; the front lug and the guide rib. I have one that was made for the Norwegian Army.

Oh.

Well. Carry on then.

No worries, since it a older rifle we make sure that we only use lower power ammo in it as well. Still it a good one for anything that we will see outside of a black bear.

Mine's an M1894 Krag too. I'd say she shoots as well as she was new, but she's made in 1907 so what do I know... will probably outlive me anyway.

>All the family rifles are from the Civil War or before
>No ancestral Krag
Feels bad man

yeah, my family came from Scandinavia in 1904-1908, so we missed the whole US civil war.

My 1894 dated Carcano still shoots like it was made yesterday. Keep good care of your guns guys, and they will always shoot true

Attached: 1891 Carcano stabby.jpg (3000x746, 667K)

Hey anons,
Does anyone have experience with the National Ordinance 1903A3 rebuilds. Internet fudds say they explode, but a lab tested them and found they were stronger than old A3s.
But I want kommando opinions. Did I fuck up?

That's still pretty fuckin neato

Well in that vein, the last several years we've have an annual family camping trip up in a remote part of northern Australia, and while it's beautiful, the water resupply is a very croccy lake. The last five years or so I've used a Lithgow No.1 Mk III to stand guard for crocodiles while my brother or sister fills up water containers in the shallows. Hasn't had to get the job done, but I know where it shoots, I know it's reliable, and I'm very comfortable it would, in fact.

Finally made a ejector for it yesterday. Still haven't gotten her out to stretch her legs yet.

Attached: 0427191854_compress_67.jpg (1310x2328, 125K)

some of them are g2g and some of them are time bombs. You have no way of knowing that until it blows up. NO rebuilds are spanish-made receivers fitted to USGI parts, and had a similar problem to pre-800,000 serial 1903s, where some receivers (but not all) were improperly heat treated. The problem with this is that most guns are perfectly 100% fine, and some are not, and there is no non-destructive way to tell.

My suggestion would be to take a close look at receiver wear. Has the gun been fired much? If so, that probably means it is safe, as it would have blown by now. If there is little to no wear, the safety is an open question.

My suggestion would be to stick to low pressure loads.

Attached: 0427191855a_compress_49.jpg (1310x2328, 139K)

Attached: 0427191855_compress_32.jpg (1310x2328, 144K)

>old family rifle
>not bubba'd
Ive never seen a rifle stay in a family and not be defaced in some way

It is, sometimes I want to shoot them though!

Subtle Krag thread, OP. Got mine for free

Attached: CA6A7616-186C-4251-A626-FA8E1B964569.jpg (1024x768, 187K)

>tfw I hunt with a full length Swedish Mauser made in 1900

Can I expect an old german made k98 to be 100.% reliable - especially with hunting ammo ? I need an all around rifle, can't go with semi automatics (too hard to get where I am). Overpenetration isn't a concern. Also I don't wish to have a SxS shotgun since I'll use the gun for target practice too and I'm kinda tight on money.
>why don't you go for a modern hunting rifle
I'd like my gun to have wooden furniture and iron sights, going for a common old school gun seems the simplest answer.
What do you think ?

Beautiful

>100% reliable
Absolutely no guarantee of that. I don't know what country you're in, but you really may not be able to get an old German mauser that's in good condition for a reasonable price, nor any other milsurp rifle. They're past the "old junk" phase and now you pay collector prices

It will be about as reliable as any modern bolt action as long as its checked out.

Things to check...
Barrel wear, excessive headspace,broken or missing extractors,weak striker springs,worn sear surfaces,damage to furniture.

Then I might wait a month or two in order to get a bit more money for a nicer one. Found some more recent (and cheaper) hunting rifles with iron sights & wooden furniture on the used market... but they don't have the charm of these old milsurps. Fuck me and my tastes.
Okay, it's noted. I'll try to find some extra parts, I have already seen some but didn't payed attention to that kind of thing at the time. The headspace has to be controled with a go/nogo gage I guess ?

>I have one that was made for the Norwegian Army.
I'm fairly certain the Norwegian guns have a more robust locking system than the US Krags. Something about Springfield not updating the design like the Europoors did. Its the reason why the US krag had to be dropped when we wanted to move to 30-06 (among other things). youtube.com/watch?v=oQAqNqaiQwY

Nothing wrong with hunting w/ surp. Sitting in a blind is not really any different that taking it out to the range. Just see it as giving the old girls a nice vacation in their retirement.

Thanks user, any recommendations for low power fuddy-06?
Steel case Tula?

PPU. Brass cased, re-loadable and always loaded light. Most importantly it isn't a bimetal jacket, so it will be nicer on the old gun's bore (this may not be an issue for you or your children, but if you intent to keep the raifu serviceable into the 2200's, its worth it).

Lookin' good, solid, tight.

pic related is the gun.

Attached: 0196121f-f9c4-4e93-8778-233c7efb1676..jpg (4160x3120, 2.58M)

>Does anyone have old rifles that just get the job done?

I regularly use sniders (close forest), swiss vetterlis (grassland) and Gew 88s (treeline and foxes) for culling deer on forestry along with percussion side by sides (for walked up rough shooting with dogs like rabbit). They actually point and pattern beautifully. I also use a single barrel flintlock fowling piece made in 1800 for pheasant shooting very year where I take one bird walked up with dogs. I have modern semi auto shotguns and modern 270s and 22s. The old guns are just better, maybe because I know them so well and my father and I worked out great bullets andloads. For all you anti hunting people I also release rabbit, pheasant and red squirrel and cull grey squirrel and make habitats on my land and release hare, badger and hedgehog along with songbird habitat, trapping magpies etc.
I like to think these guns will be working long after I am gone so we followed the swiss style and there are spare firing pins and springs, nipples etc in a cavity behind the buttplates

Genesis 2:15 - And the Lord God took man, and put him into the paradise for pleasure, to dress it, and keep it.

same
My shotgun is French made in 1854
My flintlock British 1800
My Gew 88 is made in 1890
My swiss vetterli is the 1881 model marked for the 1878 model C converted
My sniders were made in 1868 (three band) and 1856 (two band).

>a lab tested them and found they were stronger than old A3s
Source? I am fascinated with this kind of shit

If you can get it at close range and with 1 shot

>implying having more rounds isn't a better thing
>implying modern guns aren't more accurate
>implying modern cartridges aren't supperior
>implying
>implying

books.google.com/books?id=vb3dDN9FiekC&pg=PA101&lpg=PA101&dq=HP White Laboratory "1903a3"&source=bl&ots=Mc_jPzw0z3&sig=ACfU3U2OLbBXZlAosKAW9oqjrZiSA4vC0A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjw2pLcr_7hAhUQneAKHdsLBVMQ6AEwAHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=HP White Laboratory "1903a3"&f=false

>>implying modern guns aren't more accurate
They are not really most well made late 19th century riles are tack drivers.

>>implying modern cartridges aren't superior
Well they are not really. You can reload them less often as the loads in them wear them out faster than BP loads. BPCR brass lasts forever. Black powder shotgun loads actually pattern better IMO
>>implying having more rounds isn't a better thing
I find five shot clips and 12 shot tube magazines entirely adequate. I'm aiming not laying down suppressive fire. I don't think you know that these magazine capacities are actually for and why they were developed for cold war infantry tactics. Even if we take something very old like the snider loaded with a buckshot round, it delivers more lead more quickly than a 9mm with a 10 shot magazine

>any gun that fires a self-contained cartridge

Absolutely nothing wrong with percussion rifles or shotguns user. Or for that matter flintlock fowling pieces

Full freezer of meat thanks to the mauser

Attached: BearMauser.jpg (1000x662, 822K)

A well made mosin with iron sights is as capable as a top of the line sniper rifle at its job.

Mines just fine. Other than the receiver, it came with some nicely marked USGI marked parts.

Depends what you call a modern cartridge. 30.06 .303 .308 9mm 50cal and 45 are all over 100 years old yet still either used in service or still very viable cartridges.

Any rifle build to decent standards since the start of the 1900's will probably shoot better than the users ability to shoot it

M1 Garand spec is lighter than hot hunting loads.
I face the same issue with my 1896/11, Garand, and K31.
They all have a weak link, OP Rod for Garand, straight pull locking luqs for the Swiss rifles.
Slow powders for the Swiss and moderatly fast powder for the Garand.

Wow, you totally missed the fucking point. Like, completely. Impressive.

This thread isn’t about what’s “superior”. It’s about what will get the job done. Also, if you can’t effectively drop Bambi with a single shot firearm, you suck and need to git gud. Yes, there’s lots of hardware out there to help with your sucking problem, but I prefer to not suck.

>Dat scope
Bubba, no!

how is it having a daughter?
pic unrelated

Attached: pipe.jpg (720x888, 81K)

I bet she shoots guns with daddy during the day and models cute clothes for him at night.

Shit must be cash.

Bubba? That is a 1930's Goerz, made in Berlin and a Veteran bring back.