Modern shield use

Why are shield not more prevelant in modern combat? Light armor that can stop rifle rounds is spotty at best, plates break if they even manage to stop the round. Why arent soldiers issued shields and submachine guns? Im sure weight plays into it, but if we can spend 80 grand on a single javelin, why cant we engineer conbat effective shields to save lives?

Attached: downloadfile-3.jpg (474x260, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Dwu0SBn0--U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Carry a shield during a ruck and try to go prone with it. Also, you don't want to get hit in the first place. A novel idea, but it's something that'll get in the way for troops and is best saved for riots and special units in urban environments.

The shield on COD4 is pretty wicked. You just have to collect all the parts and flip all the valves in the engine room and get to the work bench on the back of the boat. We should just do that.

Good answer
Fuck off

They're only useful in a house, and are only rated for a few shots anyway. They just aren't as effective as Hollywood and vidya would have you believe.

You boys are cute, i wasnt thinking of cowadoody. Shields have been used for thousands of years, and have been pretty decent at keeping the soldiers using them safe. Why isnt more time spent trying to make sure men arent shot to death by illiterate farmers after theyve cost the military thousands in training and equipment?

>because real life isnt rainbow six vegas
stop reminding me :(

Have you seen how little a plate covers and how much it weighs? A shield strong and big enough to be useful will be too heavy to carry.

Yeah, but if you use a shield, you can have a peasant or junior enlisted carry it when you don’t need it.

This is it boys, bring back squires.

Cute trap squires!

Point of the thread son, fp was inevitably bp, i was wondering if anyone else had anything meaningful to say on the subject but... Good thread boys!

They kind of only work in one direction.
Entry teams usually know roughly what direction they need to worry about and soldiers rarely have that luxury.

Attached: BRI.jpg (1859x1238, 503K)

Yes, we are issued shields. Not only do they stop bullets and shrapnel but we don't have to walk with them! Also some of them even have big guns on them!

Attached: image2.gif (375x249, 28K)

You’re just everywhere today. I can respect that.

There was some footage of some portuguese paras using shields in niggerland

I think I saw that. They were with the UN, right?

Think so. Still I think they are a bit unpractical ie if you need to carry them for long distances... but you can just throw one or two in an apc and just wait for when the need arives

Demo Ranch has done a few test vids of modern shields. The tech is getting to the point you have a legit question OP.
youtu.be/Dwu0SBn0--U

mfw no scooter shield

Attached: tt.png (340x500, 150K)

the japanese were right, the shierd is a dishonorabre weapon

Most shields can't stand up to full powered rifles or low end artillery. Grenades tend to fuck them up too. You try to march in with a shield wall and they'll tear you apart with mortars and rockets.

Still, it would be really useful for police work. Protecting VIPs, advancing on an occupied building, riot control, etc.

>those office chair wheels
lmao
>gets caught on my keyboard cable
nothin personnel

>Most shields can't stand up to full powered rifles
Don't know how to tell the difference, but the local sheriff's breeching team's shield has held up to multiple rounds of .30-06 and 7.62x39. Dude literally waddles his gear in there, plants down, and waits for the dipshit shooting at them to run out of ammo before the remaining team members light the offender up.

Is that Arma 2?

Utes island airfield rofl

When clearing rooms there is a standard way of doing it with a 3 man team. Tossing a big ass shield in the mix can cause issues with the ability to sweep but remain at a spot until the other 2 clear their part of said room. Quick movement, mobility and the ability to shoot first is key.

>take bulletproof shield
>put a bunch of lights on it to blind anyone infront of you
>put a small hole in it, so you can point your gun out and shoot

Has this been done?

Shields only cover the front. Why don't we give troops some kind of metal box that covers them from all directions?

>3:00am
>BAM
>This motherfucker kicks open your door starts scooting toward your waifu
What do you do? Keep in mind you have hardwood floors in a single story house with only only a few shower rugs to slow him down.

Lol, why did they choose such a lanklet for a model?

Against poorly equipped rioters/light small arms and knowing 100% it's a short missions with access to resupply? Sure, nothing better. The 300 will hold the pass. Or a tetsudo will get you out of dodge. Outside of that? It's probablematic at best.

Attached: 1525952175350.jpg (1050x1500, 175K)

Arguably, a curved shield would give more degrees of protection, and then front line troops could pull a modern day phalanx tortoise style maneuver. But I'm also just here for the larp

Deploy extension cords

The real use of modern shields is ship boarding. Youre already in a confined area.

Attached: 1550682656807.png (686x412, 115K)

shields are worthless for outdoor combat

Its been done in rainbow six siege.
That's why it's a stupid idea.