Defense Capability

What does Jow Forums have on deck to defend themselves? Who will meet those with questionable intentions at your door?

A S&W Model 60 is my current choice, though I keep .38 special in it. I wish to retain some of my hearing in the event it must be used; .357 magnum would not be so forgiving I think.

>inb4 datamining/ATF free candy thread
Mere conversation and curiosity

Attached: S&W Model 60 3in.jpg (1000x750, 258K)

Other urls found in this thread:

titaniumgun.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=T6kUvi72s0Y
youtu.be/n6KejbDokRo
youtube.com/watch?v=AxqrQuMskEI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Solid choice. Anyone unironically using 357 out of a short barrel for anything but taking fireball pictures at the range is a moron.

This is what peak performance looks like.

Attached: 100_2689.jpg (2048x1536, 922K)

>hasn't looked at the data
.357 out of a 2" barrel is only like 200 fps slower than a 4" and it's still got more than 30% more 'lbs of energy than .38
.357 out of a 2"barrel is a very valid cc platform especially if you train with it. You sound dumb and underage.

Do you CC that fine gun? If so, what method of carry and holster?

Attached: we got one.gif (320x180, 1.19M)

38spl has plenty of energy to reach FBI standard penetration while also having less recoil and report. But feel free to bleed out your ears if you ever have to touch off a snub 357 indoors.

This. .357magnum is incredibly loud, specially out of a short barrel.

For indoors/home defense exclusive use a subsonic/low pressure cartridge is best. Like a stupid for cc Glock 21 or a .45 USP.

I'm not saying to not use .38 but to say .357 out of a snubbie is pointless is absurd. I won't fault your reasoning for carrying .38 byt I would rather have more 'lbs when it matters and wear hearing aids later than have to worry if my ammunition had enough ballistic energy. I've read of people surviving .38 to the skull out of a snubbie, I have a hard time believing anyone could survive a .357 to the dome.

This is most likely what I’ll be holding

If I’m lucky I’ll have my shotgun instead

Attached: 775E9B07-8E2E-4D58-8274-2739FC1ADB5C.jpg (1536x2048, 496K)

Energy only matters in that it needs to deliver adequate penetration. Any "extra" is irrelevant when talking about handgun velocities unless you wanna larp about barrier penetration and if you don't carry a gun for a living your CCW doesn't need barrier penetration.

did you dissemble your gun and sent the parts to get them metal treated or do you send the whole gun Im pretty ignorant

The force exerted by a round carrying more energy is going to make a bigger temporary and permanent cavity, I don't want to just put a hole in you I want the force from the bullet to blow a massive cavity in you so you are incapacitated sooner and bleed out faster. I'm sure a .357 leaves a nasty exit wound in someones head and chest compared to a .38

You send the parts you want coated and you have to send them at the polish level you want in the final product. I had about 6 hrs of hand polishing in before I sent my shit off. The only exception to this is deagles. you can send them a whole deagle and they will polish and coat it.

titaniumgun.com/

Some defensive .38 loads out of a snubbie fail reach the requisite penetration or expansion that the FBI laid out. .357 more reliable expands and almost always gets good pen. Recoil tradeoff isn't worth it if you don't practice a shit tonne.

>temporary cavity

no such thing until about 2200fps boomer

>permanent cavity

Is only as big as the diameter of the expanded bullet below 2200fps

youtube.com/watch?v=T6kUvi72s0Y

>Some defensive .38 loads out of a snubbie fail reach the requisite penetration or expansion that the FBI laid out.

Choose your SD ammo wisely faggot. HSTs, Gold Dots and old school FBI LSJWC are all gtg.

Attached: 1526688789215.jpg (465x465, 56K)

That should be FBI LSWCHP.

Temp cavity is most definitely a thing before 2,000 fps. Take a look at hot 10mm in ballistics gel it's like an m80. The temp cavity is a result of the bullet dumping energy in a target, you'll get a temp cavity with every bullet out there but most are small and ineffectual. A .357 will most definitely have a larger temp cavity than a .38. With your reasoning why didn't the FBI carry .38?

youtu.be/n6KejbDokRo
You're wrong

Too bad that extra energy doesn't do shit because human tissue is too resistant to tear damage at it's speed.

You didn't watch the vid. Gel is not human flesh. Smarter people than you have done decades of research on this not only in the lab but on the street. There is no debate about this in the industry only by uninformed boomer faggots who shop more than they shoot.

You are a bro dude

Attached: 1525989637994.jpg (238x165, 17K)

Too bad that temp cavity doesn't equate to performance in disabling attackers. Flesh absorbs it without tearing if the round is below certain thresholds.

I have a Beretta M92FS 9mm with a fuck off big compensator and 20+1 rounds of 147gr Speer gold dot hollow points. Spare 20 round mag as well. Mags are the flush 18 rounders with +2 mag extenders on them if you're curious. For CC I carry a Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9mm with the same Speer Gold Dot 147gr hollow points and a spare mag.

Everyone I know makes fun of me for liking and buying Berettas instead of Glock :(. Idk why I like these pasta guns, but I just do.

Attached: 1415782677930.jpg (431x620, 121K)

but displacing the flesh still has an effect, unless a punch can't incapacitate people anymore? I didn't know that boxers were creating permanent wound cavities with their fists.

I don't think ballistics gel is too similar to human flesh but the point still stands that force exerted on flesh can have an incapacitating effect even if it's not making a permanent cavity, think of a liver punch/kick it'll absolutely drop men who spend their whole lives training to fight.

do you have a particular polish you recommend?

>I'm right and every professional who has worked on terminal ballistics for the last few decades is wrong

Okay.

Attached: 1519791768832.jpg (252x400, 20K)

I'm not saying their wrong, but how the hell does a boxers fist knock out his opponent?

Mother's mag or Flitz. Any typical metal polish at your local autoshop will probs work just fine. Get that and a bag of cotton painter's rags from home depot and get ready for arthritis. Yankee Marshal did a vid about polishing you can look up if'n you want. I have a small tabletop vice on a ball joint that made the job on the cylinder a lot easier. I'd hate to think about having to grip it in one hand and polish with the other for that long lol.

The brain floats inside the head. When a violent impact rapidly moves the head the brain slams into the skull on the opposite side and then again as it rebounds. Good night Gracie.

So there's a magic wall past 2,200 fps where the energy displaces the flesh and anything below 2,200 fps just ineffectually passes through?

How does that force get transferred? there's no permanent wound cavity and it's below 2,200 fps?!

above 22000 ish the temp cavity is so large it can cause the flesh to stretch beyond its' elasticity and tear. This is called remote wounding because it causes wounds in locations not touched by the projectile. Below this threshhold the only damage done is by crushing tissue actually contacted by the projectile.

but the point still stands that there is a temporary cavity it's just not enough to tear flesh. I'm saying the temporary cavity if big enough would be similar to a fist from a trained fighter in your gut. If you displace the liver you will get an individual out of the fight real damn quick.

youtube.com/watch?v=AxqrQuMskEI
all these poor bastards must have been hit with over 2,200 fps and have a permanent wound cavity

It's rare to see such a clear cut case of too stupid to realize how stupid you are. Bravo and may god have mercy on your soul.

You're the one arguing that bullets all have the same performance regardless of energy differences. I guess we'll keep each other company in the land of the deaf and stupid.

>bullets all have the same performance regardless of energy differences

When modern ammo companies develop every SD round to achieve FBI standard penetration there literally is no difference. That's the entire point of the video above. Anything .380 and up with a properly engineered load/projectile will do the job. Hits count. First hits count most. Shoot whatever you can hit quickly with. Everything else is fuddlore bullshit.

Attached: 1518127295418.png (600x700, 386K)

You are literally arguing that .38 is just as good as .357 and .357 just makes m ore noise and flash. I don't know if you can get more daft then that friend, lemme guess .22 is right up there too?

>You are literally arguing that .38 is just as good as .357

Against people yup. If you want to hunt something larger where you need more penetration than 38spl can deliver then yes 357 has an advantage.

I can't agree with that, I agree with the sentiment about shot placement and getting the first shot but people often don't drop from the first shot, I would rather take the bullet that has more energy because it will dump that energy in the target displacing flesh and hopoefully lead to an incapacitated target. A near miss of the spine with a .38 could be inconsequential whereas a near miss with a .357 mag could have enough force to hit the spine/cns and get the stop. I'm sure most here would agree that the bullet with more energy in it is going to be meaner than the one with less energy. Regarding your argument a .22 minimag is just as effective on men as a .38 or even a .357 mag so why isn't that the standard? Follow up shots are much faster than a .38 and shot placement would be much easier.

>dump that energy

There is only one wounding mechanism below 2200 fps. Crushing tissue from contact with a projectile. Energy can translate into more penetration but there is no mystical "energy dump".

>a .22 minimag is just as effective on men as a .38 or even a .357

It's a smaller caliber bullet so less tissue is contacted. It's better than a sharp stick to be sure. Also fuck rimfire reliability for self defense.