What's up with Steyr not really doing anything to modernize the AUG from the ground up? I mean sure...

What's up with Steyr not really doing anything to modernize the AUG from the ground up? I mean sure, they came up with the CQB kit for the A3 (which introduced a bolt release), but it seems like the company just tacks things on the existing design, instead of redesigning the receivers a bit to accommodate stuff like ambi controls/more rail space/etc...

It especially doesn't make sense in terms of the whole military contract thing, where they could introduce a new version (let's call it the AUG II) and encourage countries/agencies already using the AUG to upgrade to the new gun.

TL;DR: Why the fuck is Australia putting in more time and resources to improve the AUG than the actual company that invented it.

Attached: Steyr_AUG_A3.jpg (548x359, 26K)

what is there even left to do?
>redesign receiver
>dude more rail space lol
might as well make a new gun

Between Corvus's options and the GHW mod 0 charging handle I don't even know what more I could ask out of the gun aside from a complete redesign of the receiver for a modern grip and for Steyr to update their shitty mags

Attached: aug run no sound.webm (1920x1080, 2.87M)

Maybe a better mag release? Can't think of much else they could do.

Corvus already has you covered there

Attached: Kneeling reload no sound.webm (1920x1080, 1.45M)

Do AUGs have a bolt release? I know the normal ones have a last round hold open, but no idea about a bolt release.

feels pretty bad that we wont get any of those new aussie augs

They look like ass desu

user what do you think is happening in that webm

>Do AUGs have a bolt release? I know the normal ones have a last round hold open, but no idea about a bolt release.
A3s and the new NATO stock that the .300 Blackout AUG uses do.

Attached: 20190218_AUG300BLK_02-660x434.jpg (660x434, 37K)

Not on the ones that anybody cares about.

>they came up with the CQB kit for the A3 (which introduced a bolt release)
This was introduced with the A3, not the CQC.

There is no need to do anything about it.
AUG is fine.

Attached: mbai4we2h6h21.jpg (4608x3456, 2.63M)

WHY THE FUCK WAS THE CQB KIT DISCONTINUED IT WAS THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO THE AUG

Attached: 1512500835320.png (858x725, 361K)

I want an AUG quite a bit, just can't justify buying it yet, I've always enjoyed bullpup designs. I've also been looking at the ugly, yet somehow appealing kel-tec RDB in 308, anyone have shooting experience with that?

That's a different model, the RFB. I have one and it has been amazing so far.

Kangaroo Army here.
I joined in '99 when we used the F88 with the fixed optic and shot at lights and noises in the dark.
Variant F88A1 put a rail, A2 found enough space to jam on an ACOG/RMR, white light, Night Aiming Device, M203+KAC sight for it.

For the EF88 we asked for the following:
- push button AR mag release
- push button bolt release
- AR/Pmag compatible magwell
- not 'pine-o-clean spray bottle' - tier trigger
- wider ejection port
- stronger sling swivel
- drop-in Grenade Launcher Attachment (GLA) which doesn't need to be installed by an armourer
- for the rifle to be NOT black
- to just keep our ACOGs and transfer them to the new rifle

Thales gave us:
- same shitty mag release
- bolt release in a retarded place
- same $6 plastic waffle mags
- same pine-o-clean trigger
- wider ejection port (yay)
- same sling swivels
- THEY MADE THE GLA NOT FIT BY 1 MILLIMETRE AND IT NEEDS TO BE INSTALLED BY A FUCKING ARMOURER
- THE FUCKING RIFLE IS BLACK SO IT DOESN'T CAMOUFLAGE, SHINES, AND YOU CAN'T SEE THE CARBON WHEN CLEANING IT
- NEW OPTIC IS ELCAN SPECTRE DR 1-4x PIECE OF SHIT I DON'T KNOW ONE DIGGER WHO HASN'T BROKEN IT YET.

All we asked those fucking retards at Thales to do was LISTEN to our suggestions and now we're stuck with the EF88 for at least another decade.

>pic related but (within reason) no one has all that shit hanging off their rifle

Attached: j0S37XR.jpg (1200x823, 227K)

It took them until like 2017/2018 to get all the features you wanted back in the day... and it's still more than Steyr does for their own platform.

Attached: f90mbr-features-left-photo-lined.3.png (1105x446, 192K)

Yeah we will never see that since Army already bought and issued the EF88.

do you have Emu PTSD?

you will.

Emu War is only a meme outside of Australia. Emus live all over multiple Army bases and in the field training areas. The Emu is on our coat of arms, their plumes adorn the slouch hats of our Armoured Corps, and there's an emu on the hat badge of a reserve regiment. It's about as funny as making fat jokes to Americans or politeness jokes to Canadians; it's so overused we only smile to entertain the foreigners making the joke.

>placing the sling so as to hide the fact that you have a modern reproduction

My plan is to get one sooner rather than later. Election season is coming and I'd rather get what I can before the panic.

Hmm aight, yeah I haven't looked much into it besides seeing a couple of pics

I fucking wish Steyr would come out with a statement or something about if/when they're selling those NATO stocks with bolt carrier releases. I know the production of .300 Blackout barrels is held up due to the US branch not receiving the specs from Austria, but I don't want to buy a nearly $2000 rifle, then pay another $1000+ plus to get a better stock and the .300 Blackout barrel.

That's fair I guess, I have the money, I'm just spending it on home renovations, investing and a vacation, so hopefully before too long I get a nice period where I'm not dropping chunks of money on other shit and I can snatch up some fancy funz.