Super light loads

Is there a threshold for danger in losing cartridges to an extremely light load?
Say I reload .303 to a sub 1500 FPS velocity to be extra gentle on my milsurp, am I risking anything?
It might sound stupid but I am asking because I’ve been surprised by what is and isn’t safe regarding reloading before and don’t want to build unsafe pressures through my ignorance.

Attached: 07EED46C-34C2-4E7F-B5A0-1B173832C59B.jpg (954x1024, 204K)

Other urls found in this thread:

guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane1.html
guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane2.html
guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane3.html
castbulletassoc.org/forum/thread/1387-the-load-is-13-grains-of-red-dot/
tapatalk.com/groups/britishmilitariaforums/low-recoil-load-for-303-t2875.html
rifleshooter.com/2017/09/reduced-308-winchester-loads-with-trail-boss/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Squib rounds

Just load it at what the ammo/gun is spec'd for.

Open up your load data book. I know my Speer manual has reduced loads for some calibers. Give me a minute and I'll see if it says anything for .303 Brit.

Aren’t most squibs from a lack of any powder at all? I’m talking about a load that can still safely push a bullet down a barrel.

So much this. Squibs account for wayyyy more ruined guns than a healthy diet of standard charged rounds.

Thank you for checking. I don’t have any reloading manuals on hand, but should probably invest.

Biggest danger is a squib round like the other user said. A squib round is one that doesn't have enough power to shoot the bullet all the way out of the barrel and gets the bullet lodged in the bore somewhere. If you don't notice that the bullet is stuck and fire another round you risk a kaboom in the worst case scenario.

As long as they get out of the barrel, it won't matter. Take the lightest loads in your manual, and down load those by 10 percent. They'll leave the barrel, but they'll be pretty damn low pressure.

Yeah but you don't know where that threshold is unless you have solid load data and if you just drastically reduce the volume of powder, you run the real risk of improper or partial ignition resulting in a squib.

Light loads of slow rifle powder are said to be dangerous. Not sure if anyone really knows why. One theory is that the way an underfilled case ignites, the powder can compress into a plug and obstruct the bore. Fast pistol powder is recommended for light loads. Trail Boss is specifically made for light loads in cowboy action shooting. That's what I use for subsonic .308 with 85gr pistol bullets.

>Is there a threshold for danger in losing cartridges to an extremely light load?

Yes. Its extremely dangerous.
>Squib rounds
More to it than that. Remember the pressure curve on smokeless is not linear and is extremely sensitive, as pressure climbs strange things happen

OP read these
guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane1.html
guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane2.html
guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane3.html

But you can't just 'transfer' loads EVERYTHING matters bullet weight YOUR bore, barrel length and powder properties that are probably beyond you if you are even asking this question. Simple answer, yes it can be done.

Also read this article about 'the load'

castbulletassoc.org/forum/thread/1387-the-load-is-13-grains-of-red-dot/

Be VERY fucking careful You are playing with considerable danger here. You are probably best trying 'the load' and not deviating from it

When loading reduced loads it's typical to use a bulky pistol powder.
This makes for an even burn rate with less case position problems.
The typical load for .30 is ~13 grains red dot with any 150 grain lead bullet.

Not him but here's the data from my old Sierra book. Just shoot for the lowest powder charge listed if you want a light load.

Attached: DSC_0361.jpg (3840x2160, 2.17M)

Bubba sporterize it to shoot 9mm. It'd be the ultimate pistol caliber rifle

>sideways picture
Damnit, oh well I'm drinking and don't care enough to fix it, that's what I get for phone posting.

What type and weight of bullet are you shooting?
For 150gr jacketed bullets its showing IMR SR4759 with a starting load of 21gr and a max of 25gr with velocities starting about 1600fps.
For 180gr jacketed its showing IMR 4198 also starting at 21gr and maxing at 25gr with velocities starting around 1500fps. These are done with standard CCI 200 large rifle primers and fired from a SMLE.

Really, as long as you stay within spec you're not going to hurt anything. Quality non-corrosive primers and nice thick copper jackets are worlds better than the crap they were forced to shoot 70+ years ago.

>muh sniper enfield

Attached: 1944 Enfield No.4 Mk.1 T.jpg (2621x1366, 2.35M)

Inb4 OP blows himself up

I was going to try 180 grain cast lead .312

Look up Trail Boss powder. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

tapatalk.com/groups/britishmilitariaforums/low-recoil-load-for-303-t2875.html

rifleshooter.com/2017/09/reduced-308-winchester-loads-with-trail-boss/

Not just rifle loads.
Another theory is that having a small charge laying along the bottom of the case allows the entire charge to ignite instantly, rather than burning along the powder column the way a normal charge would. Paradoxically, the small charge results in a dangerous brief pressure spike as opposed to the slow pressure curve of a conventional load.
It has always been seen as desirable to fill the case with powder, even to the point of compressing the charge. This has traditionally been considered safer and more accurate than having exessive space inside the case.

The oldsters would fill the empty volume of the case with corn meal to prevent detonation or whater the hell goes on with reduced loads. In modern times I believe guys use a dacron pillow stuffing material.

This is my light load using Green Dot, excellent groups.

Attached: Screenshot at 2019-05-03 07-25-46.png (1739x351, 35K)

just get some of these bad boys and stop worrying about squibs

Attached: 9266587.jpg (1632x1224, 221K)

Attached: 1419637798659.jpg (500x375, 57K)

based and samereier pilled

Take a look at trailboss. They specifically say that it can be used with jacketed or or lead for light recoiling loads. That's published.

I went down this road with a revolver and wound up with squibs. That cost me way more than the money I was "saving" with ultra-light loads. So.

>use hot primers to get good ignition
>AVOID slow powders, the loading manuals specifically caution against this.
> A light load might work once or twice but squib the third time. Don't be too near the line. And remember that weather affects combustion, so if you're right above the line in summer, you might be below it in fall.

Trailboss, Trailboss, Trailboss. Better safe than sorry.

Never before seen that shit. How is ignition?