Survival Rifles thread

Are they useful or not?

Attached: m6x.jpg (311x162, 6K)

dont know but i want an ar-7

The AK47 has been used around the entire world and it has survived even the shittiest of conditions. No need to drop shekels on a single shot rifle when you can use Vlad's version of the STG44

>Are they useful or not?
not when folding single shot 12ga exist

The USAF is now issuing take-down AR-15s with quick-attach barrels as part of aircrew survival kits. Seems a lot more useful in most scenarios without taking up any more space.

Eh, they do serve a niche, that niche is lightweight backpack gun. They are good for hiking, and/or stored as an emergency weapon in some pack or something. The main thing they capitalize on is lightweight portability. If that isn't your primary concern, and you can spare a few pounds, there are options that are better survival wise. Like if you were in Gary Paulsen's Hatchet, a survival rifle would be in the downed plane. Otherwise get an SKS, AK, decent shotgun, bolt gun or even an AR.

Survival rifles are a meme.
They would be the last firearm people would want if in a survival situation.
If you have enough aforethought to pack a firearm for survival, then you have time to bring a decent rifle.

I'm hoping they'll be clonable - they seem cool as fuck.

I haven’t read into the story much, but my understanding is that they’re mostly commercial off-the-shelf parts. The foldable pistol grip and quick-change barrel might be custom work, though.

.22lr for hunting food

5.56/7.62 for killing people.

judging from how often you actually practically use your rifle for a real purpose other than shooting for fun/training, they're extremely useful and "more" useful than all other guns you don't actually use to go hunting

I have a chiappa little badger. I don't use it as a dedicated hunting rifle ever, but if I'm going on a multi day hike/camping trip where my main purpose is just to be /out/ then it's nice to have something light and small to just throw in my bag. With a cheap red dot it's a fun plinker, squirrel grabber that runs subsonic and every other ammo reliably.
That said, I'm a leaf so I can't have a pistol innawoods and I wouldnt want to trust my life to a single shot. 22lr

Should I get the Henry AR7 or the 10/22 Takedown with the Magpul X-22 backpacker stock? I'm really torn and probably don't want or need two "survival" 22's.

The barrel system is a dolos, and I forget what the grip is. But yeah, you can basically throw it all together now. It's crazy how small you can get one of those, if you want to.

Isn't the stock made out of Styrofoam?

I wish someone made M6 Scout repros.

I used a Chiappa badger for hunting squirrels and rabbits. That's about their only practical use. If you are "surviving" in the wilderness, they are useful for food.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1080x1080, 151K)

The ruger 10/22 takedown with a magpul x22 backpacker stock is GOAT

Attached: _10R6848.jpg (500x246, 13K)

They sling lead so technically yes. However if you're going into a situation where medium or large fauna pose a threat, or where you don't need to be super autistic with the load you're carrying, you'd be better off with a normal rifle.

The ability to fold a weapon is either a very specific niche or a gimmick. Especially considering that you can just separate the upper and lower of an AR to fit into a backpack if you need to. Most shotguns can separate the barrel from the receiver and be reassembled reasonably quickly in the field. I'm not the hiking/camping type, but if I was going to put myself in that situation, i'd likely just take my AK with me.

Unless you plan on being in some weirdly shaped confined space then no. Basically every gun has a light weight version of it, just get that instead of some meme'd up 3 hinge folding bullshit

I have a strong need to clone

Attached: 1_xXWzXLOVfFiao016L4cFgQ.jpg (1100x898, 118K)

I looked it up a while back, it's mostly a standard carbine length ar-15 with a FAB defense AGF-43s folding grip ($40) and a Cry Havoc QRB quick release barrel kit ($350).

Pic related, Air Force GAU-5a

Attached: ASDW.jpg (521x158, 16K)

If you want to keep your gear super light and still be able to hunt I guess so? But then again most of those guns are 3-4 pounds and you can get a lot of reliable semi autos in the 4-5 pound range.