Is steel case ammo really that bad? With everything going on I’d like to put ammo back even if it’s dirty ammo

Is steel case ammo really that bad? With everything going on I’d like to put ammo back even if it’s dirty ammo

Attached: 6A58FE95-D5F9-406F-8BA1-05F9C54FA261.png (750x1334, 294K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qBAh_8usXBI
ammoseek.com/
luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/
brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=17474538
sgammo.com/product/wolf-ammo-sale/1000-rounds-223-rem-55-grain-fmj-wolf-wpa-polyformance-or-military-classic-st
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No its fine

Its fine, only you cant reload it.

Tula is ok for plinking but it burns so poorly it can barely cycle the action of most guns, at least in my experience. I wouldn't trust my life to it unless i was point blanking everyone i encountered.

News flash!
All ammo is dirty, this is why we clean our guns.
Steel case dirty ammo is a meme.
Lacquer fowling is a meme

The steel case will wear down your extractor, I replaced mine for $0.89.
The bimetallic bullets will wear down your barrel
But the cost you save buying steel case will offset the cost of a new barrel for modern arms.

With that said I don’t use steel case/bimetallic cartridges in my M1 or 1903. Because barrel replacement in those firearms would be difficult and expensive

That’s fine I don’t have a reload setup

>25cpr is a good deal for Tula
It's not. You can go on SGammo and buy 500rds of silver bear for that. Tula should be 22-23cpr.

The old surplus steel cased 7,62x39 or yugo 8mm Mauser ammo is dirty as can be and on top of that corrosive.
New production steel case is the same as low quality brass cased ammo.
So if you dont care about reloading and price is important... why not.

Tula sucks, wolf which is from Barnaul is much better.

>The steel case will wear down your extractor, I replaced mine for $0.89.
>The bimetallic bullets will wear down your barrel

Complete boomer myth, the steel cases are softer then brass, and the only argument any can come up with for the barrel wear is the lucky gunner test, which the guns were fired in full auto to the point of failure in a single sitting.

I have like 11K in my colt which only shoots steel case and it's still as it was brand new, but I don't mag dump and I clean after shooting everytime.

youtube.com/watch?v=qBAh_8usXBI

This, bought a 1000 rounds of Tula, AR ran fine except one hot day a casing got stuck in the chamber as after shooting a bit over 100 rounds in a session. Just tapped it out later.

Just be sure to clean your weapon as usual and check on parts.

ammoseek.com/

Try to stack up good quality brass cased ammo too, cheap steel is perfect for practice but it's not consistent and enough to justify having it piled up as shtf ammo.

You can, it's just really hard on the dies. I mention this not to be a contrarian ass, but if push came to shove, and you NEEDED to reload it, you could. People reload 5.45 steel case a decent amount, because there's next to no brass cased stuff stateside.

>Complete boomer myth, the steel cases are softer then brass
What is the brinell/rockwell hardness of brass?
What is the brinell/rockwell hardness of steel?
Show your work, or stop repeating bullshit.

I'm not claiming that steel cased ammo is bad, but you're dumber than Shillary if you think that brass is harder than steel.

>ALL STEER ROOK SAME
OK buddy retard.

The bullets don't wear the barrel, shit Russian powder does.

>steel cases are softer than brass
This is your mind on welfare

Steel cases are annealed, and they are indeed softer then brass cases, watch the video.

> shit Russian powder does.
Ok retard

luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

Attached: Brass-vs.-Steel-Sunday-e1357509017349.png (610x456, 110K)

there's nothing wrong with it but I buy brass because the steel cases seem less like slippery if that makes any sense, and loading magazines is marginally more annoying with steel case imo. they don't seem to like slide on top of each other as easily. steel case also seems to put more black shit on my hands when loading magazines.
the biggest problem with it is a lot of ranges won't let you shoot it for retarded arbitrary reasons, if you live somewhere that actually has land you're allowed to shoot on this wont matter.

It works great with my mini 14.

Attached: 1556690942315.jpg (333x435, 29K)

And the conclusions of the lucky gunner test?

While the carbine firing Federal ammunition maintained acceptable accuracy up to and including the 10,000 round mark, the Brown Bear and Wolf carbines exhibited significant accuracy loss by the 6,000 round mark. It is quite possible that this first started occurring earlier than 6,000 rounds

Even if we use accuracy as the only factor to determine serviceability, the Federal carbine was by far the best performer in this category. Its barrel was showing wear, but was serviceable right up to the end of the test. The Brown Bear and Wolf barrels would have required replacement at approximately 5,000 rounds, or halfway through the test.

Which meansIs correct

Just picked up some tula .223 at walmart for $2.50 a box

AR-15s are not made to use it. Many firearm designs will not be able to handle certain types of ammo for certain reasons.
If you have an AR, only use steel case for plinking and be prepared to unfuck your gun when using it, but never rely on it for defense.

ALSO
Fuck Tula.
Never use Tula.
I have seen/heard of 6 squib loads in my life and 3 of them were from handloads and the other three were from Tula ammo.
It's shit.
If you're going to buy steel case ammo, buy Wolf.

Attached: tula squib ar 15.jpg (800x600, 161K)

Which Walmart?

check for yourself

I'm in Miami. Check the ones near you.

Will use handloads made by some mouth breather, risking life and limb.

But won’t use Tula

Attached: 4FDF5016-8245-41E4-A073-707790B113EF.jpg (500x375, 46K)

I only ever shot shitty Tula and Golden Tiger through my WASR there's literally nothing wrong with it

I did
Did not see for $2.50
Pic related

Attached: E4988F49-744C-4B46-BDF5-AFAF5A8C7470.jpg (1608x1296, 212K)

>What is the brinell/rockwell hardness of brass?
>What is the brinell/rockwell hardness of steel?
>Show your work, or stop repeating bullshit.

its very harmful to snowflake brand firearms

Attached: 1447476290085-ANIMATION.gif (400x258, 1.62M)

guess you're sol

Attached: New Bitmap Image.jpg (826x701, 37K)

I wouldn't trust a test from a for profit company that sells ammunition, and says the much more expensive ammo wins.

Gonna have to watch the video you lazy faggot, I am right, you are wrong.

Get wolf or brown bear, skip over the rest. Runs a little hotter and more consistant.

ive shot over 3000 rounds from my Chinaman '64 SKS and ive never had a failure. 9

Attached: 20170623_025132.jpg (4032x3024, 3.29M)

if your gun has issues with steel ammo, it's shit and get rid of it. every gun I've had that didn't work with steel cased ammo ended up having all kinds of issues down the road. it's a great long-term reliability test actually.

Where in Miami???

Bump for interest

Isn’t that all made by the same manufacturer but branded differently?

Not the guy you are replying to, but Rockwell is an indentation test, i.e. how easy is it to deform something.

I think what we should be looking at here is at abrasion - what cuts into what.

Steel cuts into brass with little wear on the steel part.
Steel on steel, they both wear each other out with the hardest of the two wearing less.

That said, if a steel casing is coated with a polymer, in theory, it should cause LESS of a abrasive wear effect to the firearm than a brass casing.

This guy is right. Lucky Gunner shilling for expensive ammo should be a huge red flag.

Yea that’s a bit suspect

Bump

the polymer side of the steel cases is so soft it didn't even register on the scale, the uncoated inside of the case part was softer then brass cases by a few rockwell.

Don't use brass or it will damage your gun, use steel case.

>Shit and wesson

I think I found the problem.

>thinking that the manufacturer of a firearm creates squib loads

No, you can't because they're berdan primed. You'll snap your decapping die in half before you get the primer out, and even if you did you'll never fit a boxer primer into the leftover pocket.

>i don't know how gunpowder works!
you could have just said that.

Silver bear is just terrible.

what fruity guns are you shooting? I've never had an issue with Tula in multiple calibers.

That deal sucks
sgammo.com/product/wolf-ammo-sale/1000-rounds-223-rem-55-grain-fmj-wolf-wpa-polyformance-or-military-classic-st
Look at this, nigger

Not all steel case is Berdan primed.
The stuff that is can be deprimed with the tool or using the hydraulic method then reprimed with Berdan primers.

Why is steel 7.62x39 so good but steel in all my other calibers got garbage?

It's fine for the kind of people who buy Hydrox and Dr. Thunder because it's "just as good".

For those of us with a job and self-respect, however, things are different.

Steel case is perfectly fine, it can run a bit weak however I've never had issues cycling. And while it does reduce barrel life a bit the amount of money you save shooting steel case over the life of a barrel is more than enough to just buy another barrel

You're a fucking idiot. 20 rounds at 2.50 is way less per round.

steel cased is bad in revolvers. never use steel case in revolvers

you can also modify boxer primers for the berdan style anvil

why, i have a shitty eaa german revolver in .357 mag that i dump nothing but shitty tula from and never had a issue

it's been great in all my guns from 5.45,.223 and 9x18mak, maybe some fruity non military western guns don't like

I have a ruger gp100 and all six cartridges got stuck in the cylinder.

Stupid fucker
Based on what I've seen and experienced, it is dirty as hell. The velocity wanders massively, and the bullet weights vary greatly. That being said, If all you're doing is shooting under 100 yards and shooting a lot, it's fine. One of my ARs refuses to cycle it, even after a barrel swap. Yes, I shot so much steel case russian crap that I needed a new barrel. My bare pencil barrel from DEZ lasted at least 10,000 rounds of this trash over the course of 11 years.

If your gun will cycle it, shoot it. The copper washed steel projectiles wear out barrels faster, but if mine lasted 10,000 before they started to keyhole, yours will last a long time too. Clean your gun a lot because the russian stuff leaves a black film of greasy tar inside all over the place. It's the worst inside the front of the bolt and upper receiver.

My girlfriend's grandpa runs tula steel ammo in his M&P Sport II. He hassled the gun shop employee when he said the steel case could be bad for the gun, and later on called him a moron and said he didn't know anything. He also managed to get his Glock 17 to malfunction every other shot by a combination of limp wristing and dousing it in lubricant. I'm not sure what to make of all this.

Everything you hear has been disproven and shown to be fuddlore.
>No, it doesn't magically wear you barrel faster. Do you really think the cheap brass wouldn't do the same?
>No, it doesn't have cycling issues. If your gun chokes on it, you have a garbage gun. Get a gun that can cycle anything
>No, the steel isn't magically harder or softer than brass
Let me remind you all these """claims""" come from like one dodgy test done by an ammo seller. If steel were really that bad, it wouldn't be made today.

You should stop posting so that people son't catch your stupid.

Wow talk about a mixed bag. I just wanted to know so I could use it for plinking and save my good ammo

Attached: 3C253669-0656-43BF-A6BB-8F4090DC010C.gif (500x345, 337K)

Use it

fuck us made ammo, buy steel case and foreign made ammo,

my garand loves wolf ammo.

It's fine, the steel case does nothing and neither do the bi-metal bullets. The Swiss used bi-metal jackets for decades with no issues. Low quality powder is the problem with cheap Russian ammo, it'd be the same if everything was brass.

Steel cased 223 is an acceptable substitute for brass if you are cheap and your rifle can take it without issue. Most can, some really can't.

Because it is dirtier, generally less accurate and doesn't work well in all 223/5.56 firearms it's a lousy ammunition to stockpile. It might work in your rifle, but not in the rifle of someone you might want to resupply or trade with. Considering that you can get brass for not much more I would go that route and just use the steel for bulk practice/blasting ammo (IE shoot it first rather than saving as backup).

With 7.62x39mm it is a bit different since most guns in that caliber are designed specifically around steel and the cost difference for brass x39 is enormous.

Yes