What's the point of bugging out? Shouldn't you bug in your home for as long as possible if SHTF...

What's the point of bugging out? Shouldn't you bug in your home for as long as possible if SHTF? I know for emergencies like earthquakes or tornadoes or some shit but Jow Forums and the prepper community in general treat bugging out inna woods as the ideal way to live when society is breaking down and HIV+ gay rape gangs are looking for fresh boipussi. Also, if you aren't a regular camper/hiker/backpacker then your rucksack should already be your BOB.

Attached: 023.png (680x680, 221K)

>Also, if you aren't a regular camper/hiker/backpacker
meant are a regular

really comes down to whats happening. is the whole region affected? are cities nation wide rioting over muh feels? did a tidal wave decimate the east coast? did appalachia turn into a volcano? etc etc etc.

>Live in nog invested city?
Bug out
>Live in a rural area near a city?
Camp out close enough that you can see still see you house and ambush would be intruders
>live innawoods?
Stay put

For the first month I'd say bug in until you get a grip on the situation and find out if it's safe enough to move.

"Bugging out" is one of those things that started as basic advice to evacuate a disaster area and mutated into some kind of retarded Red Dawn fantasy of running into the mountains

Further perpetuated by the millions of companies jumping on the "prepping" craze to sell overpriced outdoor equipment to lazy people who now have an excuse to never use it

>What's the point of bugging out?
Avoiding unnecessary confrontation by avoiding people.

Also, cities tend to be a bad place to be in any sort of serious emergency. A city has a fuckload of people who consume resources (food, water, medicine, etc.), but it has very few of those resources to provide. Innawoods is the opposite: few people to consume resources, and more resources available.

Also, if the situation involved a military conflict or an outbreak of disease then a big city is the last place you want to be.

autists on this board want to "bug out" because they want to kill people. They think it'll be like a game of call of duty or battlefield. Put on your multicam and $50 armor plate and you can operate like cool dudes...

The reality is, you should have a home that is well stocked with food, water, and ammunition. It's also preferable that you don't live alone, and have supplies to board up windows, and place sandbags. In any sort of extended disaster scenario, leaving your home increases your odds of dying significantly. There are exceptions of course, like floods.

OP, you are starting to realize that SHTF is a meme. Most of what people spew about it is lodged squarely in fantasy land.

Attached: shootingday12-9-17.jpg (2300x1294, 1.88M)

>What's the point of bugging out?
For when bugging in isn't a viable option.

> Shouldn't you bug in your home for as long as possible if SHTF?
"as long as possible", yes. Which can be very short.

>Jow Forums and the prepper community in general treat bugging out inna woods as the ideal way to live when society is breaking down
That's stupid. The point of bugging out should be reaching a bug out location you prepared beforehand. BOB is only meant to get you from point A to B.

Not if there's at least a thousand other hungry and desperate people within a one block radius of your supplies and living space. In the case of S H'ing TF, the majority of people are completely unprepared and will very rapidly become desperate for necessary resources like food, clean water, shelter, etc. If you have more of those things than everyone else you become a desirable target. You bug out because proximity to large population zones filled with thirsty, desperate humans is in and of itself a significant hazard.

Except, you know, if the OP lives in some kind of nog central. Not everyone has land, and if they don't, staying put is a bad fucking joke. THAT is why bugging out is a thing. The patrician choice is not living somewhere that bugging out is necessary.

Attached: 1556854629568.jpg (2048x1536, 356K)

My family and I were stuck in traffic during the Hurricane Rita evacuation. Katrina had just annihilated New Orleans and sent it spinning into Escape from New York level's of rape gangery and everyone was convinced Houston was next. We left early, packed the car with clothes, food, and guns and hit the road for family outside of Dallas. It took us 13 hours to get from Houston's suburbs to Waco. People that left later than that didn't get out, they got stuck. That was highly instructive to me as to the value of bug in versus bug out depending on your situation and the impending threat. Some other lessons I've learned from the hurricanes that followed are that you can never have enough coolers with ice, ice might sell out fast but people forget the grocery store sells dry ice which will keep even frozen food safe (in the right cooler) and take less space, and while sodium rich foods are great for bug out/camping in the mountains, if you are sitting around your home waiting for the power to kick back on and keeping an eye out for looters, you don't need every meal to be a sodium bomb. It gets really old, really fast. Buy some foods labeled heart healthy for bug in scenarios. You can always add salt to foods, you can't really take it out.

This is my current situation and a major change I am planning to make in my family's life. We need to be outside the city on some arable land, with a community of people around us we know and trust. If nothing bad happens, we have a hobby farm and some wholesome memories for the kids. If the worst happens, we have much better odds.

Yeah, you left far too late. You leave the day BEFORE the storm. Better yet TWO days before. And your'e right that people are incredibly stupid with how they prep. True story:

>Rita. I'm in College Station, many friends/family from Houston staying with me having already evacuated.
>we get news report that there may be high winds and loss of power even that far north from the coast.
>One of my guests, an obnoxious SJM, (that's single jewish mother), decides she wants to go out and get emergency water.
>5 hours later she gets back. She alternates between bragging and bitching about how she braved the lines at wal-mart for 5 hours, having scored exactly two 20-oz bottles of diet peach-flavored soda, and gives me attitude that I should be praising her, and why haven't I been helping?
>I calmly point out that I've already filled four 55-gallon industrial trash cans with water from the tap, done the same to both bathtubs in the house, and I pointed out that the house contains two water heaters, both of which contain 80 gals of water which we can collect from the drain valve at the bottom even if the water pressure and electricity go out, and I didn't even have to leave the house to do this.
>I point out that she should have bought containers, not water.
>cry.exe

Even if nothing bad happens that's much better for the kids. They have room to run around and play, they can learn about where their food comes from, etc.

That is the correct attitude. The other morons in here are either just trying to feel smart, or they're taking for granted the advantages they already have. I just made the same switch, and it's worth it. Once you're established on your own space, bugging out doesn't matter much. For me, my property borders a major national forest. Even if something happened, and I needed to leave my home, it would basically be a few miles away to be deeper into that.
There's a number of simple things you can do to make bugging in more defensible, too, without seeming crazy. Ha-has, pyracanthus bushes and stuff are easy to put in, low cost, and they seem like landscaping or architectural choices, rather than defensive measures.
But cities... Any kind of civil unrest, and I mean any at all, and they turn into death traps.

Attached: 1556802433424.jpg (1280x720, 34K)

We did leave two days before the storm, it didn't matter.

I'm surprised. One of my family friends left the morning before (they wanted to leave earlier, but couldn't because of his job). Their experience was nearly identical to yours: 14 hours to Waco, during which time both their dog and their grandmother suffered from heatstroke.

>Any kind of civil unrest, and I mean any at all, and they turn into death traps
I've seen the barren shelves, I don't want to be anywhere near that if shit goes south. When I was a younger man with less to lose, I thought it might be a lark to be in a target rich environment with better kit than 95% of people and a couple of armed right wing neighbors by my side. I have too much to lose now, and I just hope we can transition out to rural life before the worst comes to pass. To my wife's eternal credit, her only demand is that there be some kind of reasonable medical care (an emergency center/hospital with a doctor that can handle trauma, stitches, high fevers etc.) within 30 minutes of hauling ass. I have a difficult time arguing against that, it's an extremely practical request and it still leaves a lot of options on the table that are "in town" as far as rural folk are considered but are totally isolated by our own standards. Next step is finding a good church or social organization so we can make some bonds and put down roots.

Jesus, I'm sorry to hear that. Talking to my wife she reminded me (my mother told her many times) that it was 13 hours to DFW, not Waco. That's still over twice as long as far as normal driving time goes and when we made stops for gas we were making rationed purchases with a line of angry people and my father with a gun in his lap while I filled the tank.

The point is to sell useless shit to bored impotent malcontents to help them facilitate their post-apocalyptic savior/revenge/freedom fantasies

>Innawoods is the opposite: few people to consume resources, and more resources available.
Sure, but knowing my luck I’d wind up bugging out to an area that doesn’t have very many Lipitor bushes. Or it would be too early in the year, so the electricity trees haven’t reached 120 volts yet. And there’s nothing worse than trying to pick a Bandaid from the vine before they’re fully ripe.

>If you have more of those things than everyone else you become a desirable target
Don’t broadcast what you have, numbnuts. If you’re going to announce your preps, at any time, you might as well just hang up a sign that says “welfare office”.

where does the majority of the population live? That's right, in big cities. Massive congregations of people that no longer have a regular supply of food, water, electricity, etc. Imagine the shitshow downtown in any major metropolitan area. If you live on a farm or something, then yeah bugging in is a great idea. But if you're like a lot of people (including me) living in a big city in an apartment or house deep downtown, bugging in is genuinely dangerous and while you might be able to you are at serious risk for violence. And you're at serious risk for disease cause of how many people there are. Once the food and water are cut, you're not just going to grow it on your own.

Don't get me wrong, bugging out is a serious gamble. But for some people depending on where they live bugging in might be even more dangerous.

Essential medications are one of the most critical parts of a BOB.
You don't need electricity or bandaids to survive. Those are modern luxuries which have nothing to do with survival.

Go look at pictures of the Indonesian Tsunami from 2018. Or Katrina. Or the civil war in Syria. Or the LA riots. Are you going to get lipitor there? Where?

>so the electricity trees haven’t reached 120 volts yet

silly zoomie, you don't need to play your Xbox. You need water, shelter, and food.

Join your local RWDS.

>What's the point of bugging out? Shouldn't you bug in your home for as long as possible if SHTF?
Under most circumstances, yes. By no means should you bug out unless you know for sure 1) where you're bugging out *to*, 2) how you're going to get to it, 3) what's there, and 4) why it's better than where you already are.

>needing drugs to treat a preventable obesity related illness
you are already dead, you just don't know it

Bump

muh zombies