Rounds for a Remington 700?

Considering getting a Remington Model 700 as a first rifle. I'm not sure whether to get a .308 or 30-06 version. I've heard that 30-06 works better with bolt action rifles, but I want to hear /K's take. Also, is the 700 a good model in the first place?

Attached: 634028_ts.jpg (385x385, 5K)

Black tips are still "widely" available for the 30-06! That alone should be enough to sway you toward it! The 700 is a good rifle... But honestly if you need to save a little $$$ a savage axis II (make sure you get the II(2) with the accutrigger) is almost on par with the 700

Depends how much ya wanna pay for ammo/what you plan to hunt. 30-06 will kill most North American Game, .308 will do nearly as well, while having cheaper ammo. 30-06 will be better at longer ranges, but if you're going long range buy 6.5.

Also, I feel like there are better rifles nowadays than remshit 700. Try, like, anything savage.

Just get a AR. Wtf are you gonna shoot a mile away fucking Chris Kyle?

gay bait

Not a hunter. I want to shoot for sport.

The grabbers really want to go for the AR, and I don't really like their appearance. Also, yes.

Yeah.

Honestly if I was getting a bolt gun for messing around with these days I'd buy one in 6.5 Creedmoor. Ammo is more expensive than .308 and 30-06 but you won't be running as many rounds through the gun every range trip as you would with a semi-auto gun and if you start reloading then you can put together excellent match grade ammo for less than the price of cheap .308 or 30-06, minus the initial startup costs of a few hundred dollars for buying all the reloading equipment.

Savage tikka bergara howa ...pretty much everyone is better than modern remington. If its an older 80s 700sure but modrem sucks

Mememore is a fucking barrel burner though. Barrels will last about 2500 rounds, so 1/10th as long as 308. I honestly wouldn't recommend it as your first full powered rifle cartridge, especially if you don't yet reload. Shoot a ton of cheap 308 first which will help you learn to dope and correct for windage, THEN go for your ultra precision rifle in mememoor, if you find you really want that extra edge in performance. OTOH you may find 308 is good enough for your applications.

My 5R is really nice. Just needed to replace the trigger

>Black tips are still "widely" available for the 30-06!

Where tho

it doesnt burn that fast user. its more like 3500 vs 5000

2500 rounds is a lot of shooting out of a bolt gun. Most of them never see anywhere near that round count put through them.

I don't think they really make the original Axis anymore, but FWIW the non-accutrigger model is still great. Mine has a perfectly fine trigger, in fact the pull and break on it is very close to that of a milspec AR trigger.
>Remshit
New Remington (especially the 700 and 870) is notorious for dogshit-tier QC. If you look around the web you can find a lot of 700s that rust quickly even with only light field use, and almost all of their new production guns have laughable fit and finish (terrible tooling marks on bolts, poorly made stocks, wobbly bolt handles). You're much better spending that money on another comparable mauser-action gun from a much better company like Savage, or spending a bit more and getting a Tikka T3x.

Attached: 981498984794.jpg (1804x1010, 341K)

People generally report significant throat erosion (and resultant velocity loss) after 2500. Accuracy may take past 3000 to fail. Decent 308 barrels will last to 20,000 easy.

If you're not serious about shooting why would you even bother with mememoor to begin with?

get a 7mm mag

I just bought an Axis II in 6.5 Creedmeme a couple weeks ago. Have to go to my local fudd outdoor range to fire it, which I'm not terribly crazy about.

Not OP
What is a good bolt gun that will last me a fuck long time without being over priced Boomer shit?

Attached: Screenshot_20190502-110652~2.png (1080x452, 114K)

CZ 527 in 7.62x39

Can run cheap steel case slavshit ammo all day through it no issues

Attached: 66BC7804-7565-4F25-A520-905AF46939A8.png (275x183, 20K)

I just looked it up in the catalog probably would bump it up to the CZ 557 in 308. Nothing against 762 by 39 I just want more power from a bolt gun. I do like the price too.

2500 rounds is just over 48 rounds a week for every week of the year. I highly doubt that OP will be dropping that kind of coin every week for a year. Even then, whats the cost of a new barrel and install? $200? and is the accuracy that bad after the original barrel is "shot out" that he could't shoot a deer with it?

by then there's two roads to go down:
1) Rebarrel the action with a bartlein or equiv and drop huge coin on a scope.
2) Dump the rifle at that point and pick up something else or another 6.5 for $500 OTD

Personally at that point I would look for a shot out rifle with a good action and rebuild it from the ground up. Have it trued/blue printed, bartlein'd, dumped into a chassis with a nightforce on top with a spur unimount, and then timne'd or have a TT installed as well.

To start though I would go with a 6.5 creedmoore, scope level, maybe a half decent chassis, some kind of scope thats either 5x25 x50 or similiar and then dump the money into classes and match ammo.

30-06 conquered Europe and defeated the Nazis. 30-06 is the GOAT rifle round. Next, you'll need a 1911 in 45 ACP. You know why? Because 45 ACP also defeated the Nazis

>New Remington (especially the 700 and 870) is notorious for dogshit-tier QC. If you look around the web you can find a lot of 700s that rust quickly even with only light field use, and almost all of their new production guns have laughable fit and finish (terrible tooling marks on bolts, poorly made stocks, wobbly bolt handles). You're much better spending that money on another comparable mauser-action gun from a much better company like Savage, or spending a bit more and getting a Tikka T3x.
He actually fell for the memes

Attached: IMG_4273.jpg (3024x4032, 2.69M)