Prosthesis

So in the not so far future(20 years?), I think it'll become possible to have fully functioning, quality prosthesis that can act at a level equal to, or greater than a natural arm. My question is, as this technology becomes streamlined and available for lower costs. What will happen with military casualties that lose limbs in combat? Right now they're obviously discharged due to being ineffective (or at least pushed into an administrative roll, check your local military I guess) With this though, they would theoretically be able to be returned to service after a period of adjustment.

We could also speculate that eventually synthetic organs will be able to replace heavily damaged things like lungs, livers, etc. Though this would take far more time. In the further future, will we see soldiers that have taken so much damage they're more like Robocop or a terminator?

Attached: hadtodoittoem.png (800x1056, 728K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uUWaIDEE3gM?t=602
youtube.com/watch?v=PLk8Pm_XBJE&t=7m40s
youtube.com/watch?v=F_brnKz_2tI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

there won’t be wars after 20 years, AI will rule as a benevolent god over an earthly paradise. or we’ll all be dead

>What will happen with military casualties that lose limbs in combat?
What, for the couple dozen of those?
It won't be much different from regular rehab for injury. So still a fuckload of rehab and being stuck in a hospital for 8 months learning to walk or hold a spoon again. And then you've got trauma and such.

Just what's already happening, but with better results. Discharged in the majority of cases anyway.
>In the further future, will we see soldiers that have taken so much damage they're more like Robocop or a terminator?
Maybe 1 or 2.
People with full-body replacements will be people with horrific birth defects, or car crash victims paralyzed from the neck down, toxic shock survivors, etc.

It's science fiction man, always assume reality is going to be infinitely more boring.

All be dead in a huge war?

Reality is science fiction to people 50 years ago

I am more excited about going full street samurai and loading loads of weapons and chips into myself so I have a hud, target tracking, integrated knives and a gun, 10/10 wet dream material right there.

from the AI going full paperclip maximizer. if all out nuclear war didn’t happen in all those crazy cold war moments it ain’t happening. I wouldn’t worry about the AI either, it should turn out alright

Easy there, not meaning going full cyberpunk. Though chips will likely come in as well

I want to replace my arm with an 308 AR lower
ATF on suicide watch

Oh I have no doubt that it would be a small case by case basis. After all, I imagine learning to control your new limb would be rather tricky. In the case of an arm especially. I'm more looking at it as a question of:

Would our military make use of this as a way to retain numbers/improve possible combat lethality of their own troops? Would the public at home be okay with it?

>that can act at a level equal to, or greater than a natural arm
Won't happen anytime soon.

>a fellow street sammy

I gazed upon you , and knew that you were my chummer.

>2125
>technology improved drastically after the discovery of true AI in 2076
>people addicted to VR and synthetic augmentations
>cyborg war veterans with PTSD roaming the streets
>military is ordered to KOS anything and anyone with visible/detectable augmentations
>all out civil war
>like the venezuela shit but it's people running over cars

Yeah nah. For prosthetics to have equal or greater capabilities than a natural arm requires a complex nervous system or equivalent we are insanely far away from being able to do that. We tried to map the neurons of one square millimeter of the human brain like 5 years ago and it required hundreds of terabytes of storage to collect the data and it was data so rudimentary it was hardly usable.

I, too, get my neuroscience information from boomer facebook articles

We're a lot closer to sweet cybernetics than most realize. All the pieces are there. BrainGate has shown the ability to move an arm with just mental activity. Biobatteries can power most small implantables using just your blood sugar. Some of the top end prostheses today have exceptional sensitivity and granularity.

Right now, our biggest hurdles are two: sending signals to the brain (some successful trials), and combining the whole thing into one cohesive package. Apparently graphene is the solution to literally everything, but we can't yet make it in the kind of quantities we need.

Fuck off subhuman hanzer

I can give you taste;

>year is 2142
>Be in ghetto Nig hood working postal service
>See Cybernetic Jamal drinking his cobra 40 20th century edition
>He greets me for the mail
>”What’s up ma nigga mail man”
>Hey Jamal got a package for you from amazon
>Dude cute the top the package with a blade mod on his finger
>”SHIET JUST WHAT IVE BEEN WAITING FO, AIM ASSIT MOD FOR MY SHOULDER NERVES”
>Well have fun with it Jamal?
>”SHIEEEET”
>Turn on the news later and hear about a gang shooting in which the shooter had perfect precision headshots
>No it can’t be... can it?
>Next morning cybernetic Jamal is on the news and was vaporized by the police and turned into ash
>MFW Black cyborg lives matter starts a protest

Also if you actually use a prosthetic arm stronger than your normal one you’ll break the rest of your body unless you also replace your legs, shoulders and back to also support the weight of the stuff you’re trying to pick up with it.

What a Shame.

W R O N G
Structural bottlenecking is a huge component to this. If your trunk can't support the forces occurring at the arms, you may as well just use biological components. Going forward from that we don't have any methods to simulate impulses so touch feedback is currently limited because electrode stimulation slowly kills nerves. Current prosthetics are a stopgap. We'll be growing and attaching real limbs sooner than we'll see prosthetics outperforming humans. Even that has caveats though.

Exoskeletons don't suffer these issues quite so profoundly, but they're still ergonomically limited, you have to be able to naturally distribute the forces of movement while adhering to the compromises of human structure. Think deadlifting with pipes attached to your back.

Power delivery remains a serious issue as well. That last example I gave, for instance, could be remedied, but would require hydraulic or pneumatic actuators to dynamically reinforce the spine. This would give you a normal range of motion while mechanically reinforcing your back so you couldn't snap it with your legs. But you'd need plugged in to an energy source to keep that shit up.

Biological design is honestly the best way to go, but we're a ways out from that. Think strapping up a copy of Björnsson's musculature that can pull energy from fat stores. Pump it full of sugar to recharge it. EEG type sensors reading 1:1 impulses and actuating the muscle naturally.

Currently a few big car companies who are working on electric cars are developing solid state batteries. While they're a long ways off it does give me hope for better batteries than can do shit like this

You have to be 18+ to post here.

Supercapacitors are probably a better solution for these sorts of things, honestly. Rapidly charging them, and in turn being able to maintain battery charge for longer periods of time. It'd be decent in military applications, but it'd excel in warehouse environments, walking through a hallway or standing in a corner with some contacts in it.

In not well versed in actual components to forgive me but dont capacitors hold a charge for relatively short time but give out a lot real quick?

All of those that fear war will be dead?
All those who want to use the cheat code: nukes will be alive.

You can do that now, if you have the credits.

youtu.be/uUWaIDEE3gM?t=602
It's timestamped, but here's your friendly EE terrorist explaining why you'd want to use supercaps.

>Going forward from that we don't have any methods to simulate impulses so touch feedback is currently limited because electrode stimulation slowly kills nerves.
There's some amazing work being done in the realm of limb feedback:
youtube.com/watch?v=PLk8Pm_XBJE&t=7m40s
tl;dw - They re-use a muscle to give you the sensation of tension in your limb that would have came from the missing piece. Using the phantom limb to their advantage, they use this to move the prosthetic. It ends up feeling so lifelike that the patient felt like it was part of their body within a day, and ends up applying all their natural reflexes to the prosthetic.

Any computer chip can run the processes required for 6 axis degree functions, sensors can detect when to open the hand or close it, and touch can be electric shocks to the nerves.
Its the synthetic skin and grafting that gets difficult but can be overcome with drugs and money.

>graphene
>different form of carbon
>altered carbon

That's highly dependent on the amputation. If you got your arm lopped off at the shoulder you're only possibly going to simulate the musculature of the upper arm. Going into more complex areas like the foot and hands would be increasingly difficult to create proper stimulus. Again it's not touch, either.

youtube.com/watch?v=F_brnKz_2tI

This is the pinnacle of what we've achieved thus far, and it's a mere facsimile of actual touch. You could have a small electrode array in each of the areas representing the different extremities of the hand, and you could leverage neuroplasticity in the person and AI/neural nets to clean up I/O but without true integration we can't restore proper sensation.

And then you've got a bunch of shitty components in the drivetrain that are very slow and pretty weak. The mounting points are still meh. And the sensory resolution is awful. You can bet your ass it weighs a ton and that its charge lasts a day at most. And in a couple of years those electrodes will have killed all the nerves, meaning they'd have to increase the charge to drive stimulus deeper and compromise adjacent nerves.

>electrode stim
Don't.

>Biomecha suits
Okay so maybe the future isn't too grim after all.

Attached: 1488033402295.png (1000x1000, 444K)

They hold the charge as long as you want. The con of capacitors is that you can't control the flow so you get all the stored energy at once.

>Arm complexity compared to brain complexity
We're lad

The future is biopunk.

Attached: ariel-perez-soa.jpg (962x1423, 237K)

Yeah, I was just pointing out some of the advances. I'm very much into keeping up to date with prosthetics so I've already seen that video. I am of the same opinion as you; that biological replacement of limbs and body parts will be feasible long before 100% functionally same electro-mechanical prosthesis become possible. Then who wants an arm that takes all this extra shit, when you can just get a copy of your arm?