I've got a friend in upstate New York who is no-gunz looking to get his first firearm; a shotgun for home defense...

I've got a friend in upstate New York who is no-gunz looking to get his first firearm; a shotgun for home defense. Recommended a used Mossberg 500 or possibly the Mossberg 500 Combo Field/Security new for roughly $325. Thoughts?

Attached: 54169Combo.png (2104x458, 434K)

Depends, do you think he'll have any issues with the pump under massive amounts of stress and adrenaline?

He has some experience with long arms and shotguns in general from school courses. Didn't even know they still had stuff like that. I don't feel he would have any trouble with it under stress, but the best way to mitigate that is with practice. That's where the combo barrel might be useful, for sport shooting. He's hoping to spend less than $300.

hijacking thread to ask question:
I just got a mossberg 590a1 retrograde. I can't rack it, even when depressing the action lock lever. Has anyone experienced this??
there's a yellow mossberg thingy under the forearm. can't get it out. fugg

I've timed myself and found that operating the pump is far easier than flicking a safety on an AR off.

pics

It's a good idea, then, and $325 is a good deal. An AR is obviously a better option if it's available, but if semi auto rifles with detachable 20+ round magazines are banned and he doesn't want a lever action or something like that, this is the next best thing.

He's sold on a 1970's Remington 870 Wingmaster in decent condition for $325 at a local store. I don't think he'll be disappointed with that. Though he might want to throw on a 18.5 inch barrel at some point if used for home defense. They had an Ithaca 37 with 2 extra barrels and some other goodies for $550. Kind of jelly. Apparently, he's left handed. Would have been a good option if it was in his price range.

Attached: 20190504_133346.jpg (2576x1932, 1.13M)

Either of those would be fine, too, really. I definitely prefer the location of the slide release on a Mossberg over a Remington, but old Wingmasters can be really nice. I don't think I'd ever want a slide release forward of the trigger guard on a gun that I thought I might someday have to use to defend myself, though.

>I don't feel he would have any trouble with it under stress, but the best way to mitigate that is with practice. That's where the combo barrel might be useful, for sport shooting.
I agree. Working a pump while shooting clay sports made me realize I didn't run the action at the correct timing when just shooting at a static target, or even during multigun matches.

Attached: Clay-Target-Exploding.jpg (387x221, 8K)

Found the moron.

Damn, I didn't realize the 870 had the slide release forward of the trigger. Awkward place to put it. I have a Mossberg 500 myself and the slide release is very natural. Though, the forward slide release on the 870 might work for him left-handed. He's looking to get a left handed safety for it already.

p sure that needs to come out of the gun before you can use it.

as for op, tell your friend to move cause ny is a shit

Take off the barrel.
Take out spring.
Throw away that piece of shit piece of plastic.
Reassemble.

Thanks anons. Will do

Attached: 20190504_152226.jpg (2576x1932, 1.74M)

i took off barrel... what spring are you referring to? fuck this plastic piece of shit
i tried using pliers to pull it out but no luck

Do I have to remove spring from mag tube?

Attached: 20190504_154318.jpg (2576x1932, 1.71M)

What the fuck dude, just pull the pump back and take it off. its a lil piece of plastic.

fuck you i applied tremendous force.

i removed spring, this aggravating piece of shit still won't budge. I feel murderous rage

Just pull it out manlet

No, just twist the mag tube, it's threaded with the same threads on both ends.

not him but
>tfw manlet
>tfw had to help the 6'7" dude that sets next to me in my HS's band with getting his mouthpiece out of his trumpet multiple times because he's weak despite being a a foot and one inch taller than me
God, it feels good to not be a lanklet.

Attached: absolutely beautiful.png (512x512, 308K)

how do you like those gloves? they pretty good?

Did you figure it brother...first make sure it's unloaded.

Nice, too bad they chose the parkerized finish, Mossberg really only started parkerizing stuff within the last 15 years or so.

Attached: IMG_20181114_080311.jpg (1233x925, 299K)

Attached: 696969420.jpg (625x626, 31K)

i got the motherfucker off by bring action towards receiver as hard as I could. I was so mad and channeled my lanklet energy. It hit the back of the receiver so fucking hard. I'm worried I damaged it.
Should I be able to cycle action without touching the action lock lever? This is my first shotgun lmao. Fuck that yellow nigger

front of the receiver*
And should the forearm have lots of sideways wiggle to it? It's not tight at all. Fuck this

I can;t help you man, I'm sorry. Thanks for the (you), though.

>It's not tight at all. Fuck this
Its like that on purpose. It aids in reliability.

should have at least a little play in the pump, try finger fucking others to compare.

i srsly doubt you damaged your mossy though, they are p tough. maybe if it was a fagington express but not based mossberger

thanks for your support borther
disregard my question about action lock lever, now i understand its function.
i'm still worried the forearm shouldn't be so loose and wiggly. I can twist it side to side a good bit.

thanks anons. i think the case is closed, drama largely averted.
how should i punish this yellow nigger?
sorry OP. lol

The side to side wiggle/play shouldn't be a big deal.
Depending on how far you went on disassembly and at what stage the action is in- you might get it to rack once.
But after that it should lock and not release unless you hit the trigger or release lever.

I thought all of the 590s were parkerized, and out of curiosity checked the mossberg website. They call it "matte blued". wtf is matte bluing

they all jiggle user. Its normal.

>how should i punish this yellow nigger
Well, you own a gun- so there's that....

Decide his fate

Attached: 20190504_163304.jpg (1932x2576, 3.37M)

You should put it on your wall somehow, as a trophy. That's what I would do, anyways.

put it back on the gun and sell it

MELT

Put it in your buddy's moss...just to fuck with him.

>firearms training in schools
>Jew York
He's either lying or grew up in the 50s

Go to a skeet range and wait until nobody is looking and then put it on someone else's gun.

hahhahahah. i want to see someone else turn purple with rage
this is wholesome
it crossed my mind but ive come too far

>i'm still worried the forearm shouldn't be so loose and wiggly. I can twist it side to side a good bit.

normal 100% normal
>matte bluing
its flatter
normal bluing is shiny glossy reflective

Bluing is dependent on the underlying surface finish. If your metal is polished, your bluing will be shiny. If your metal is beadblasted, it'll come out matte. Look at black oxide finished bolts. They're the same process as gun bluing.

Attached: black-m8-countersunk-bolt.jpg (444x315, 16K)

Stuff it in your boipucci and post picks, faggot

Attached: 1542052868415.jpg (1190x839, 157K)

Rural schools have 4H and sporting clay teams