Why do people buy these

>look ma, no fingers

Attached: benchmade-knives-62-balisong__68493.1496154596.jpg (1200x857, 825K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jA3UArxLxyM?t=59
blademag.com/knife-collecting/balisong-the-fixed-blade-that-folds
bladeforums.com/threads/lock-longevity-framelock-lockback-or-axis-lock-or-balisong.457836/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Be me
>be 14
>friend invites me over
>brother has a balisong
>awesome.nrg
>tells him not to touch it, cause he might hurt himself with it
>says fuck it and grabs it one day
>shows it to me
>fucking cool as shit
>stab trees and shit with it
>look up on shitty 2010 iphone
>find out how to do "tricks"
>one site lists how to do a spin
>attempt
>knife falls out of my hand and lands on my foot
>i'm not wearing shoe's since, i was jumping on his trampoline and socks are for pussies
>Pain x250
>shout
>mom comes out
>knife is sorta deep into my foot
>freehospitaltrip.png
>a week later
>come back to his house
>brother has it locked away
>he finds a way to grab it
>slices the tip of his finger off
>not my problem
>run off to my house
>turns out it got infected
>he almost dies
>doesn't
This Is why i hate balisongs Jow Forums.

Attached: 1556962646925.jpg (319x319, 79K)

>Another handi/k/apped faggot starts a thread about niggerflys and guardless knives

Speaking of weird and retarded designs, I plan on buying a razor-knife (because they're too dull to be actual razors) like Boker Magnum Fleet Street.
Wonder what use may come out of such thing

Best handle to blade ratio of all folders. It's incredibly easy to open, you don't have to flourish like a jackass.
Sharpen it, retard.

Nice bait.

if you're too retarded to use a balisong just get a set of kitchen shears.

I started carrying my benchmade after some jackass slammed my right thumb in an uparmored LMTV door, and rendered my thumb un-useable for about a month. Was super nice just being able to squeeze to release the blade rather than having to flip with my thumb.

They were originally utility knives, then they were used in movies because they could look cool and then b& by dumb politicians because muh movie weapons. Now dumb Anons shit on them because they don't have experience with them and because muh movie weapons even though they were originally utility knives. Congrats on being the other side of the retarded politician coin OP.

>niggerflys
sorry but i've never even heard of a nigger with a bali-dong

They're really fun to flip around, until you cut yourself.

Balis are fun. I have a few. Once you learn a few tricks you really zone out and focus only on flipping. It's a good stress relief.

Bradley kamura is being made again if anyone wants a solid entry Bali that's not junk.

>Sharpen it
>Spend hours resharpening it after erry use

>be me
>year and a half ago
>have mastered regular tricks
>start doing bite handle tricks
>stop putting tape on the blade
>end up cutting the shut out of my finger
>doctor fucks up putting it back together
>finger feels weird when I touch things with it and has a strange shape
>no longer do bite handle tricks

>it's another guardless knife hater

Are these things fun, thinking go getting one.

>theyre fun to play with

>theyre a very strong design, perfectly functional knife

>You'll never hurt yourself with one unless you hold it by the wrong handle, and even if the blade hits you, the momentum of a small knife blade hitting your hand isnt going to do any serious damage.

If you wouldn't try to open it like a goddamn retard you wouldn't have any problems

I remember my friend having a pair when we were like 13. We'd use to just do box openings and try flip tricks. They're like edgy fidget spinners.

Balisongs are great for edc, safe and secure lock up, nice long blade and usually a thin blade profile. Just don't get compulsive with the tricks. It's when people go nuts with these things for YouTube hits that bad stuff happens. Remember kids, for every vid with 100k views there are another 10 guys in the ER getting tendons and nerves reattached.

My cheap ass bali

Attached: IMG_20190504_212007.jpg (3264x1632, 1.19M)

What are some good brands for these?
These things are loads of fun. I miss my old one

>friend gifts me pic related without the shitty cs go skin
>almost five years later and still having fun with it

Attached: benchmade-c41s-comb-butterfly-balisong-colorful.jpg (800x800, 81K)

youtu.be/jA3UArxLxyM?t=59

rocking a BM 51

Attached: 51.jpg (1500x1065, 138K)

Benchmade are kind of the gold standard. Bradley kimura is another good one

Is 100$ about the average price range for a decent one or can I get a decent one without the name for less?

i used to have pic related.
it wasn't made for tricks and i didn't buy it to do them, but i really liked how solid it felt in the hand and it was just so pretty. unfortunately, some men with guns took it from me and buying another on the used market is too expensive for me. they really got pricey.

Attached: spyderco-spyderfly-b01p-vg10-11.jpg (1000x667, 94K)

Benchmade gang reporting in

Attached: 20190505_085320.jpg (2160x2160, 1.34M)

I either want a BM 51 or a Microtech Ultratech. Is the Benchmade worth it even with D2 steel which I agree is better than the 440C they used to have.

I've had mine for a few years and its held up pretty well so far. I'm real happy with it, and would definitely recommend to someone looking to get a nice balisong. It should be noted that it's really light, which could be a pro or a con

>Tfw no custom BRS bali
Because they're fun to flip and tend to look sexy as fuck.
>t. user who got a boo-boo and is permanently butthurt
F
Do it. If you're on a super tight budget and don't know if you can get into it, you could buy the Cold Steel FGX for like $15. US made, but it's plastic and double edged, so if you want to do any tricks with it, you'll have to grind away one of the serrated edges. Second budget recommendation are the chinkshit replicas of the butterfly knife from Counter-Strike GO. You can buy those for $14-$20 straight from the chinks (Wish or eBay), but it's pretty hard to find them with a sharpened blade now so it'd likely be a trainer. After that, prices jump up a ton. I'm considering buying a Bear & Son CB17 next - I suspect it'll be decent. Do not buy their $30-$40 cast zinc slotted alloy balisongs, they're inferior garbage that breaks in weeks/months. The $70-$80 Schrade Manila Folder is a pile of shit too. Good steel but the worst flipping balisong I've ever touched - looser than my 80s Japanese balis and about as much play as my WWII era bali. As another user said earlier, the next up would be the Bradley Kimura at $120, which apparently is manufactured by Bear & Son now too. Bought it for my gf and she loves it. Everything kinda just goes up in increments of $50-$100 from there though. Almost forgot to mention there's also the ArtisanCutlery Kinetic Tool for $70-$120 too, no blade though, but as the name implies, it's a fancy tool. Would buy it for that price if it wasn't chinkshit.
>theyre a very strong design
There are some really nice ones I'd trust my life with for sure but majority of the market is CCC that breaks just from being flipped around or dropped a few times. "Then don't buy chinkshit." Right, but again, that's the majority of the market. All I'm saying is it's kinda misleading to say they're strong. I don't trust some Japanese/American made balisongs much either.

Attached: 53751852.155_k-knife-BRS-AlphaBeast-Custom-0.jpg (800x800, 154K)

I'd honestly rather have this than an actual butterfly knife

Trickstabs

Attached: 1543385659713.jpg (1024x576, 56K)

I carry a BRS Alpha Beast every day. I only REALLY understood the balisong when I started Kali several years ago.

Good reasons:
Very strong locking mechanism which is easy to open. Small format.
Cool to fumble around, opening and closing lock pin etc.

Brainlet reason:
Hollywood hype
Self defense
Being a mall ninja.

The balisong is actually a very formidable self defense weapon.

>Very strong locking mechanism
That's not picklock or ratchet lock.

I've had the same balisong for about 20 years and have never cut myself with it, since I spin the sharpened side away from me. It ain't rocket surgery, moron.
It is spic tier though, so it remains fidget spinner status on my desk.

Its literally a more usefull fidget spinner for me.

You're an idiot. The ballisong is the strongest folding knife there is.

>The ballisong is the strongest folding knife there is.
Says who?

As a kid I ordered one with a dull blade thinking I could just sharpen it if I ever felt like it. I never ended up doing it though, was more just a good stress relief. Wouldnt mind getting another for an edc knife but don't really need that length for anything so doesn't seem worth the pocket space

>Maker Darrel Ralph says he considers the balisong one of the world’s strongest folding knives.
>“A balisong can best be described as a ‘folding fixed blade,’ as there is typically no mechanism,” offered Vance Collver of Benchmade Knife Co.
blademag.com/knife-collecting/balisong-the-fixed-blade-that-folds
>The balisong has the strongest, most sure lock that I've seen employed on any folding knife. It'll last as long as your hand will if it's done properly- so you know when the lock is fine, in the process of failing, etc.
People who know.
bladeforums.com/threads/lock-longevity-framelock-lockback-or-axis-lock-or-balisong.457836/

>some men with guns

Tyrones or the po-leets

>A balisong can best be described as a ‘folding fixed blade,’ as there is typically no mechanism
This sounds like a stupid commercial rather than a serious claim.
Take a look at this swedish barrel knife. There is no mechanism as well.
>. It'll last as long as your hand will if it's done properly
So would backlock, tri-ad lock, picklock. Those are the most reliable locks on the market, that can endure hard tests.

Attached: barrel knife.jpg (569x1142, 131K)

This thing looks so ugly.

Whats a good looking (something simple, maybe like OP) balisong that isnt too expensive

Balisong owners are genuine faggots

Are these any good at all or do i need to spend like $80-120?

Attached: bali.png (512x888, 132K)

it's true. ordered some balisongs today and i moaned when wiping later that day

The popo

Niggerfly? Don't greasers use butterfly knives?

I dont really see the point in edc a balisong other than just as a dangerous fidget device. Normal folding knives seem to be much cheaper, $50 gets you a good quality edc knife vs the ~$100+ for a decent bali

Canonic 50s cinema greasers used to carry italian switchblades.

You need to spend about 400 to get a really solid one, of course there’s the BM 51 but I don’t recommend it.

>You need to spend about 400 to get a really solid one
That doesnt seem true. The Bradley Kimura and Bear-Song II seem pretty decent. I still dont get why these are so much more expensive than other knives. It's a shame, i'd like to get one but doesnt seem worth it

D2 is fine.

Attached: B13B2270-5351-4647-83B7-B411F8788268.jpg (2048x1897, 689K)

Bear and Son is out of the conversation. Complete shit. The Kimura! The ones being currently produced aren’t great, but if you can find one that’s 4 or so years old you would be in good shape. Another one popped into my head as I was typing this, the BRS Barebones. That would be the optimal first balisong. Don’t get a trainer.

Nice HALO

>Bear and Son is out of the conversation
what's so bad about them? Any of the videos ive seen seem to say theyre pretty good

Basically, i just dont believe that you have to spend $200+ dollars for a reasonable edc knife, that doesnt seem accurate at all, sounds like typicall Jow Forums non-sense

You’ll never really see a BAD review on YT. At least 9 times out of 10. B&S has bad heat treat, which makes the knife brittle, they use bad steel, which is arguably the most important part of the knife. They also have burnt grinds, which can be fixed but takes time and equipment to do so.

Attached: 2E7ABD36-F0A1-48A2-9563-5D0CCE977477.jpg (640x853, 100K)

You don’t! There are dozens of great knives under that price. But, knives that cost over 200 usually have better materials and are just better all around. It’s a hobby, an expensive one at that.

>It’s a hobby, an expensive one at that
I don't really consider it a hobby, I'm just in need of a carry knife and a bali seemed a little more fun that just some folding spider co or BM

Would you consider an auto?

>Would you consider an auto?
Not really sure what that is. I liked the idea of a bali as i had a trainer one as a kid and flipping it around was pretty fun.

An auto, like a push button knife.

I see. Seems like you might as well get a normal folding knife at that point, unless an auto isnt much more expensive. Seems like they would have pretty high potential for the auto mechanism to break though

Alexander Herzen said that B&S balisongs have quality troubles and latch that falls under the cutting edge.

An auto is only as strong as the spring inside it. But if you don’t want a regular folder and a good bali is out of your budget, it seems like your only option.

Yes. Bear Balis have no latch gate.

What are the Jow Forums recommended regular folding knives these days anyway?

i was more looking at the Bradley Kimuras but I was a little confused as i saw lots of info saying you can only get them used they there seem to be ones available that are new.

A Kimura would be alright, not as good as the older ones like I said but it’ll be good.

I might just go with that. Do any stores usually carry these? I wouldnt mind getting a hold of one first if possible

I don’t know what everyone else would say, but just about every $100-150 Spyderco is something I would move on. A handful of Benchmade models. Microtech. Emerson. Zero Tolerance. Pro Tech.

When I’m ordering something I usually go with BladeHQ. I have no doubt they have them in stock.

What about the cheaper ones like pic related? I knew someone with one of these and it seemed pretty nice and small

Attached: spiderco.png (2112x1171, 670K)

go with the 51. ive never had a problem with the d2. beware it is a little lighter than you would expect picking it up for the first time, but once you get used to it its a great knife.

The Tenacious is made in China with a Chinese steel. I wouldn’t go for it, but it’s your choice.

what makes the steel so much worse? I dont feel like i really see too many people with broken blades or knives in general apart for the really shitty $10 ones.

absolute shit materials and heat treat, as well as the weakest tang pins i have ever seen in a balisong. the pins are more like screws that fall out easily under minimal use and dissapear. even the pressure fit tang pins on the b200 are highly susceptible to falling out. as well, the attention to detail and quality control are simply just not there for the amount of money these knives cost.

Edge retention, overall strength, and cutting performance.

Quality gift, bro. Might get one for my brother on his birthday.

Attached: D09B5701-E27B-4036-8913-0B0031D891A1.png (1334x750, 961K)

Maybe just don't be a bunch of immature fuckwits.

Attached: 1555980886732.png (305x361, 8K)

> I still dont get why these are so much more expensive than other knives
It's a luxury item, just like OTFs. I've had a chinesium one that's last 5 years of daily use and I have an benchmade HK branded on that isnt any better in an appreciable way.

so youre saying just just get a cheap one like b&s 114?

dad got me one when I was 16 because he liked to get me stupid shit like that (throwing knives, throwing axes, butterfly knives, etc, etc, he was a real "things were better when we had lawn darts" kind of guy)
he told me just to put some electrical tape on the blade until I was good at it, and it was a pretty dull chink piece of shit anyways

team fortress 2

With balisongs? No. With autos, sure. They're just expensive because they can be.If they wanted too, Kershaw or buck could make a rock solid balisong to undercut the shit out of the market but they don't. The low end uses cheap materials and cheap practices, while the high end only ever sells more expensive shit while Also selling balis. I didn't mean to make it sound confusing.

i kind of want one of these

Attached: 15eha9x.jpg (864x648, 33K)

Honestly. Boredom.

I do too now..

51!!

Attached: IMG_20190505_211138.jpg (2688x1512, 1.31M)

Is that at UTX-70? I never expected them to be nearly as small as the Launch 4

Based and tf2 pilled
Also what's your current loadout? I use a combo of the stock/l'etranger, cloak and dagger, stock, and sapper

Yup.

Attached: 4D730B8D-4EB0-46CC-9B40-4A458C866538.jpg (3930x2239, 2.07M)

Replace knife with gun and you have gun controll you are the problem here

Stock\L'etranger\Amby
Stock sapper
Bali\Big earner
Stock watch.

any other decent balisongs with drop point blades, other than this one?

Attached: BenchmadeMarlowe1.jpg (1024x768, 1.04M)

Fuck Benchmade, though

That one has been long discontinued. Look at the Wilson Combat/ Les George Superfly. It *says* that it’s a weehawk, but that’s definitely something in between a drop point and a spear point.