Low Powered Variable Optics

What LPVOs do you guys perfer/use and why?

I personally like the Trijicon Accupower 1-4. The MOA red illuminated version specifically.

It fills a gap that I have for short to good distance shooting of coyotes, deer, and other hunting.

The 2 MOA hashed reticle allows me to range animals, objects, etc at unknown distances, and allows me to better hold over at various known distances more accurately than say a BDC reticle. (As well as use it on different caliber rifles)

Attached: SchmidtBenderLPVO.jpg (660x593, 31K)

i use a vortex crossfire because im broke and have zero expectations for glass other than 'can i see out of it?'

That's alright as long as you're not on the "JUST AS GUD" boat.

Using the tools you have available to you is something many people have to work with.

In the long run you may become more critical of your gear because of these experiences.

(I used to buy cheap glass exclusively)

Top tier:
Kahles K16i 1-6x24
Value Tier:
Vortex Razor Gen II-E 1-6x24
Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24
Poorfag tier:
Primary Arms Silver Series 1-6x24

>1-8
lol

why do LPVOs all have these busy as fuck reticles?

What are you talking about with

>1-8

The ability to have more magnification is not a downside for anyone provided your scope is good quality and not overly heavy for its task.

My thoughts exactly.

The Kahles reticle is dumb as fuck and defeated by the poor tier ACSS.

I got the Trijicon Accupower 1-8x and am coming around to the idea that a 3-whateverx + an RMR piggybacked off the top of it is probably better than a 1-8, and even 10x once that becomes a thing.

>The ability to have more magnification is not a downside for anyone provided your scope is good quality and not overly heavy for its task.
There are literally no 1-8s that are not overly heavy and they all have unacceptably shitty FOV,eye relief, and distortions around the edges. 1-6 is currently the pinnacle of LPVOs. This is not up for debate.

10x is already a thing....

IOR Valdada 1-10x26

And I've heard its awesome from many owners.

I have a burris mtac. One of the few low powers that doesn't have giant uncapped knobs.

A fucking GOMBAT OBTIC with a bdc reticle doesn't need, and shouldn't have, large uncapped adjustment knobs.

Kahles has 4 different reticles for different applications and the ACSS is nigger tier for nothing that's not a 16 inch AR shooting M193/M855, aka poorfag ammo.

yeah the knobs on my vortex are so big they cut into the sight picture of my offset irons.

Attached: fuck jordan peterson.jpg (678x797, 114K)

You do realize that for their size, the ability to have 1-8 is perfect for 308 semi auto rifles, right?

You don't have to slap LPVOs on AR style rifles.

1-8s would be perfect for multi purpose bolt actions.

The Trijicon accupower 1-8 and the Primary arms offerings really didn't seem to have bad eye relief to me at all.... They were really clear as well.

A shit tier product from a literally who slav company that has never seen service by any agency or organization, and has never won a single competition. Also good luck getting any sort of customer service.

I use a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 because it was only $220. Once I have a rifle that isn't a piece of shit Aero I'll upgrade to a Kahles K16i or Trijicon Accupoint. The Viper sucks, rifle sucks, going to shoot it until it breaks then buy something good like a BCM, KAC, or LMT. Kind of regret not buying one of the Venezuelan contract LMT rifles when they had them.

Attached: Zl8jqcd.jpg (4032x2268, 2.35M)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with an Aero rifle provided it was assembled correctly.

Their parts are great and all my Aero rifles are really accurate. Probably moreso than my BCMs.

My ballistic advantage barreled rifles all shoot really well.

It's a good thing if the scope has a ffp reticle, because with a magnification range that big you'll probably be using a setting between 1 and 8 often and would want the bdc to work.

That's why I like 1-4. I either use 1 or 4 and it keeps things nice and simple.

That is also why I opted for the 1-4 instead.

The 1-8 certainly wasn't out of my budget, but I honestly didn't see a need considering the last dog I shot was around 300 with a primary arms scope at 4x. (The raptor ffp)

I actually like the primary arms scopes for their price. But it just has to be understood that they are really lacking in glass quality and edge distortion is present.

lel nice filename

I noticed that you have an aftermarket rail on your rifle.

If your Aero rifle is a "Piece of shit" because you're having malfunctions, it is probably because you nigger rigged the gas block off and on.

Remove your handguard, install the gas block the proper way as per manufacturer instructions/guidance, and spend that money on ammunition and better glass instead of a new AR.

BCM, LMT, KAC are not some godsend AR15s, they are just commonly bought by military/leo.

Aero precision is a good quality company and their components are far from shit.

The mongoloids who assemble them like cavemen are the reason their reputation is not good.

>There is absolutely nothing wrong with an Aero rifle provided it was assembled correctly.
That's the problem there, my gun wasn't assembled correctly. I bought from Brownells since at the time I was too young and poor to buy much anything else. As soon as I got it I noticed the pistol grip it came with was a bit wobbly, took out the grip screw and as it turns out they crossthreaded the fucking thing from the factory. Sent the rifle in, got it back and noticed after about 100 rounds as the rifle would heat up the bolt began to hang up halfway through the receiver when cycling. This became a repeat issue and even after cleaning it would get to the point where the FA was needed for every shot.
>Their parts are great and all my Aero rifles are really accurate. Probably moreso than my BCMs.
I'm sure they're accurate, my issue stems from reliability.
I'm aware, I checked the gas block alignment and also double checked with my friend who assembles AR-15s for a living at his work and he made sure it was at least aligned and according to factory specification. It's a burr in the gas port. I've just been super unlucky with the rifle and the QC of it (see above). If the rifle gets fixed I'll keep using it until it breaks since that was the original intention of the gun. Pardon me if I'm a little fucking grumpy at Aero though.

Attached: 1526270231479.jpg (663x735, 29K)

I should clarify the hangup issue was resolved after sending it into Aero, only to come back with short stroking from the burrs.

Nikon's is like that. I regret buying it even though everything else about it is great for the price.

Attached: downloadfile-1.jpg (880x660, 52K)

Damn. Can you even make out the hash marks?

Why not just buy a better barrel?

Ballistic advantage Hanson barrels are the tits.

Better yet why not just send it back and tell them what’s going on...

They’ve always been pretty good to me when I send in stuff. I had a screw break in on of their rails that they fixed for me. (My fault. Well overtorqued it).

I have a vortex viper pst gen 2 1-6. It's almost in the not poorfag category and is good for me.

The main problem is that the subtensions aren't uniform. Like it starts off as a BDC and then changes to MOA.

Attached: 3b998a4e-7d80-436d-8a56-7752265555bc_1.8d27dc21c6554ddd90f69664383986f8.jpg (560x560, 35K)

That's the plan, it took a while to diagnose the problem since I've been on a milsurp buying/reloading spree. Thought originally it was an ammo problem, then a gas block alignment issue. If it comes back and it works I won't bitch anymore but I can't say I'm anything less than annoyed at the gun. Still waiting an email back but if nothing else they've dealt with my bullshit twice now.

Anyone have experience with VCOGs?

Just curious: what was causing the bolt to hang up?

Machining fuck up on the upper receiver itself.

Unnecessarily big, heavy, and clunky.

Glass not as clear as accupower/point line of scopes.

Probably really durable, just don't see the point of it at its rediculous price.

For that money I would want schmidt and bender, Swarovski, Zeiss, etc.

Something like this?
I bought a cheap ar10 kit and my upper had a step in it right in the middle. I fixed it before I even shot the thing though so idk if it would have hung up, but id didn't feel that smooth.

Attached: 1533996487410.jpg (4128x2322, 3.64M)

There is nothing perfect about .308 rifles, and on bolt actions you want 1.5-10 oder 2-10 or something like that. Same goes for creedmoor semi-autos, but with a red dot on top.

Buying an expensive scope w/a 24-28mm objective which is useless in low light. How many dollars do you pay for a pint of water user?

The amount of reddit spacing in this thread is absurd holy fuck all of you kys.

Some people place a premium on durability. I've been pretty impressed with my MRO so far, and I've read that Trijicon uses the same material for most of their other optics (including the VCOG, I believe). I agree that the price seems pretty steep for what it is, though.

Not one example of reddit spacing in this entire thing.

If you’re referring to spacing between sentences or paragraphs based on their relevance and wanting to keep shit separated, you’re fucking retarded and need to go back to school.

People don’t want to read block fucking text. It’s hard on your eyes.

It’s called double spacing, you inbred mongoloid.

It’s not 2006. It’s not cool anymore to make fun of “hurr summerfags”.

If you try to say this shit isn't reddit spacing, then yall need to kys. There is literally no denying the that the following is reddit spacing:

Not that guy but you're a prime example of reddit spacing.

>3-whateverx + an RMR piggybacked off the top
That's where I'm at too. I can't afford it, but that's what I'm going with when I upgrade.

Would you guys recommend some poorfag 1-4 or 1-6 lpvo over a red dot or holographic for baby's first optic if I'm not going out beyond 150yd or so?
My original idea was getting a red dot or holographic for now, then a magnifier later as I started pushing out further.

Steiner p4xi 1-4 is just as good as the vortex and the kahles just lighter/less expensive and you lose 5/6 magnification.

i like my 1-4x

Attached: elcant.jpg (300x168, 7K)

>Not owning a nightforce 1-8.

Are you poor?

Ew.

I feel your pain, user. I cannot comprehend half the reticles I see on some of these things, the Chevron has ruined me.

have any of y'all used the leupold mk AR mod 1? the 1.5x4 is the lightest LPVO I know of and it seems like a great option for my next AR build. I know it's not true 1x, but I can't find much on user reviews that aren't completely bubba tier.

I like mine a lot. Haven't shot it a ton but the thing I like the most about the dot is you can pick it up with or without the complete sight picture. Nice for quick acquisition

I won't buy anything australian

I remember the first time I held an elcan. That mother fucker is heavier than shit

1-6x H37 WHEN!???

Attached: 80664B9A-B153-4599-A440-CD6B1908129F.png (800x903, 118K)

LPFO > LPVO

I have a 2.5x ACSS PA prism scope and I really like it. I can shoot with both eyes open and use it almost like a RDS, but it still gives a little magnification if I need it. It seems like a really good all around optic.

I've got the newer 3x version of that. Absolutely fantastic. I figured I'd probably just keep the optic on 4x if I had a variable, so why even bother with the variable part.

This. No one worth my time and money makes a 1-10x right now.

I want the lightest weight magnified optic that's not garbage.

most 1-4xs are like 15oz and fixed prism scopes are even heavier, are there any lightweight magnified optics in the poor boy price range of >$600

Manufacturers aren't forthcoming with weight and doing my own research I couldn't find anything LPVO or LPFO less than 600 bucks and less than 14oz

Start with a red dot. Not having to worry about eye relief and having to make medium-distance shots with no magnification will help your fundamentals.

Why bother with a 1-4 lpvo. You're never even going to use 2 or 3x. If all you need is 4x then get an elcan and flip between 1 and 4x. Lpvo best in atleast 1-8x

Agreed, except 1-6 is still good for 5.56. No huge need for 1-8, but it's nice for .308 guns.

If you're thinking of getting a 1-4, just get a T2 or EoKek and use a magnifier. Or an ACOG with a piggyback/offset micro. The 1-4 will be cheaper than a dual setup, but gets outclassed in most other ways.

>weighs as much as a T2 (or similar micro) with magnifier/ACOG and RMR
>micro without magnifier outclasses when compared to 1x in every way
>1x not better than a good 1-6 at 1x
>4x not as useful as a 6x for target ID
>ACOG 4x is lighter and more compact

I would go for a budget 1-6 over something like a Trij 1-4. The extra 2x makes up for the lesser glass quality, and you can get something with an ACSS reticle then as well if it's Primary Arms.

Attached: 1459539146446.jpg (2100x1180, 1013K)

Rent free

which reticle do you have in yours?

Can I get a recommendation for a lightweight optic for a mountain man durr rifle that never shoots at anything beyond 300m?

sauce on dem irons?

LPVO or MPVO for a budget """"sniper"""" 5.56 build?

K16i or bust

Attached: P_20190303_142318.jpg (4608x3456, 3.58M)

I hope you get what you want because then you'll be stuck w/a POS that nobody else wants!

28mm optic, $650
you must be insane

The primary arms kiss ain't too bad

Attached: PA1-6X24SFP-KISS_13.jpg (2100x1500, 123K)

Cause shots 25 yards and in kinda suck with fixed 4x and a 1-4 or 1-6 is the next best thing to a red dot when you want no magnification.

That is the weight of quality.

Leupold Mark ar or trijicon accupoint.

Op here

I don't like the magnifier/dot combos

Also not everyone has good enough eyesight to use dot sights. I sure don't. That's why I like the Triji 1-4.

Also Acogs only have ranging capabilities for human shoulder sized targets. That's not Ideal for animals or other objects.

28mm optic?

What are you talking about? The Steiner is 24.

Also it really is extremely clear. I've looked through a few of them. Definately not at a disadvantage from the razor.

I just prefer ranging reticles like MOA or Mil crosshairs.

>There are literally no 1-8s that are not overly heavy
Nightforce NX8 is 17 oz., what the fuck do you want

>There is absolutely nothing wrong with an Aero rifle provided it was assembled correctly.
the rollmark

Attached: aero poocision.jpg (232x227, 8K)

The eokek takes care of that issue you have

this looks like if /arg/ built a rifle by commission

what a stupid, gun range, shit

InB4 What is a reticle VS What is an optic?

Dear God, I never knew shills stayed up so late!

There is nothing wrong with Aero rifles in 2019 at all.

I'm not saying you're just paying for name when you go BCM, you're not.

But Aero is a good baseline for AR civilian rifles in america. If you do happen upon an issue they will take care of it for you.

Dude clean your wheels. The neglect on those things is completely disgusting. Worst flex attempt ever.

Have you ever looked through anything that's not a poorfag tube? They are absolutely not """fine""". Kahles and Swarovski is lightyears ahead both of them. Trijicon optics are fucking jokes aside from the acog.

How about something not from shitforce?

>shitforce

Attached: 1552608130038.png (600x842, 127K)

The NX8 has horrendous fishbowl distortion and an extremely unforgiving eyebox.

There's an entire world of optics out there and nightforce is painfully mediocre, yet tries to command euro glass prices. Almost as bad as USO.

Don't worry I got a just as good vortex and kept my shekels

it's rock nigger technology

What lower is it?

this desu. mind you you won't be using the 2 or 3x on a 1-8 either, I almost never have it set to anything between the 1 or the 8.

what I find is often overlooked is the tube diameter. general rule is bigger=better in this case, because wider tube means more light transmission, which in turn means better useability in low light conditions. 1" tube means there at best 20ish mm of inner tube diameter, 30mm is more, and 34mm tubes have 28mm ID, thats 40% more. admittedly 34mm scope rings are a bit rarer than the smaller ones.

the "downside" being weight, but srsly yall need to stop bitching. if you want to save weight at all costs, go for a RDS, this has been established. if you want 8x magnification, its gonna weigh more.

>snipers in WW2 made extremely accurate shots with glass from that era
>we're sitting here arguing about which literal space age optic is the best one as if even the budget options aren't more than good enough
I get that elitism is completely unchecked in this shithole board, but how about just a little bit of perspective?

>technology was worse then, so now that it has advanced we should just be happy with whatever garbage falls in our lap because muh wwii optics were shit

Attached: 1556957769740.png (798x597, 39K)

What actually missed you was the point. The point is that your baseline for trash is hopelessly skewed. A perfectly functional optic might not be the clearest glass you've ever looked through but if it functions and doesn't break on you, what's the point in working up something that approaches existential angst worrying about what the very best optic is at any point in time? With that mentality you are literally never going to be happy with anything because everything becomes "obsolete" eventually. Except with optics, they aren't air superiority fighters which literally cannot compete against newer planes. An optic is an accessory, obviously of varying quality, but an accessory regardless. If you can get results out of a certain one, it's fulfilling its purpose.

People have different needs and expectations of performance and quality from their optic choices. You might be fine with some off the shelf Bushnell product, that's fine, but there are actually people who need things for hard use. Hunters, people just actually out in the deep woods a lot, precision shooters, even just hardcore hobbyists who want a good all around optic. The difference in clarity between cheap optics and high end optics is literally night and day. If you've used mid to high tier optics, you will never again want to use the cheap stuff.
There's nothing wrong with using cheap shit. I'm not actually here to shit on people because they choose against or can't afford the high end gear. I'm just here to see what's out there, and I don't understand why you would bother pointing out the obvious that inferior things can also function.
>dude who needs an AR everyone used blackpowder lmao