First Gun Blues

Am i making a mistake picking the marlin model 60 as a starter gun?

I only have $200 to spend

Attached: marlin.png (348x348, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/lvCqKjJJFOg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

get the 795 senpai

bruh are you literally 18 and still at home?

i feel like .22 box mags MURDER the aesthetics of any rifle they're in, plus i live in a commie state and the 15rnd tube mag allows me to bypass 10round mag laws

a year off desu

The tube is a bitch and a half to load, jams are also a huge pain in the ass to clear if a bullet decides to get stuck. Just get something with a small removable mag.

most reviews ive read, and videos on this one ive watched, say the tube is pretty reliable, and even if it ban be a bitch to load id like to have the extra 5 shots just to give the finger to the gun laws for box mags.

It's good for a starter gun

I picked up a 10/22 just because it's not as much of a pain in the ass to load the box mag as it is in my marlin 39. the model 60 is a great gun, but the 795 is a lot better. plus since the freedom week, if you ever buy mags out of state there is nothing that can stop you from owning them in CA. just say you bought them when it was legal.

im from cuomo land friend, new york

neighboring states gun stores will all but kick you out once they see the NY ID, or so Ive heard

why would a gun store see your id if you are buying magazines

Good gun, fuck the haters, you're on the right path

nigga i dont fucking know ive never done anything like that, although i assume since im young looking they'd ID me, dont you have to be 18 to purchase mags etc?

It depends on what you want to get experience on.
Do you want to know more about rifles pistols or shotguns or bolt actions?
Revolvers?
Compact pistols?
full size?

Whatever one your more interested in I recommend you get because you will have more fun shooting it and learning more about firearms.

i mostly just have an interest in modernish firearms (FAL and AK mostly)

but i DESPISE the look of .22 rifles with box mags, and im not old enough to buy a pistol

I bought a Marlin model 60 as my first gun and love it. Stock sights suck, I got Tech sights and they're great. Also put in a new trigger but the stock one is very serviceable.

If you feed her too much dirty ammo e.g. Thunderbolt without cleaning you'll start to get feed issues.

I don't mind the tube magazine- it's not all that more time-consuming to load and I like the classic look.

It's hard to regret a $200 that retains most of its value, do it bro.

I do regret getting it in a way because I got it at a fun show in 2012 and was very close to buying a Finnish mosin for $275... live and learn

>only has $200
>doesn't buy at AR15
lad

I like mine. Grab a speedloader as well.

Model 60s have a very limited aftermarket compared to 10/22s. If that doesn't bother you, then go ahead.

GET AN AR7
it literally shits all over every other 22 EVER.... BIGLY
I fucking love my AR7 it’s so fucking cool and it BTFO 10/22 TD fags daily.
Good enough for James Bond, good enough for me
Don’t listen to the haters that think all AR7’s suck. They had a few bad years with cheap manufacturers but the Henry is legit and gives no fucks and keep ticking.
Other 22s are ok, but the AR7 is a fucking suave poontang magnet

Attached: FA1854F2-BEC4-45FF-8F2B-793017BFCFB9.jpg (2000x1333, 2.57M)

Save up another $200 and get an AR. You do have a job right?

>only has $200
just wait till you start paying for ammo

>Spend twice as much and shoot ammo that costs 4-5x as much.

OP should start off with a .22 to build his skills and then save up for an AR that isn't the cheapest thing possible.

Spend 125 on an old one with the full length tube. Spend 50 on the parts needed to tune it up and make it work (the cheap pawn shop ones are cheap because they either need cleaned bad or have something broke). You will be pleased. The old model 60s are s tinkerers dream. Easy to work on and easy to maintain. I have six of them in various models.

AR7s are fucking awful. Neat idea but horrendous to shoot. The stock is gigantic and I’m 6’4. Just because you have one doesn’t make it a good gun.
I’d go to a gun shop and get an old Remington 500 series. 514 single shot is like 100 bucks and they’re great shooting firearms.

Just save up a bit more and get a milsurp rifle. An SKS would be decent choice. You'll thank me once you develop better taste in guns. Cheap Durr Guns are literally retarded

What a fag
>picrelated

Attached: 828331D8-0724-49BA-BE1F-1272FD9DFC52.jpg (888x499, 285K)

It didn’t hurt me anywhere because anyone that owns one is retarded and couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn with one

>50yds
Buffalo would drop you dead with mini mags
youtu.be/lvCqKjJJFOg

Attached: 91E33DBF-2AE5-494D-80A6-8344D7083738.png (2001x1125, 3.62M)

Have you ever shot before? That's not a bad 'starter gun' if the context of the question was you're taking your kid shooting for the first time. Those kinds of guns (bolts and pump a actions) are great for smaller and less experienced shooters getting into the hobby or learning fundamentals.

Please note I'm not trying to talk shit if you haven't had a lot of firearms experience as a kid/growing up, and it's not like those kinds of guns aren't fun or valuable. But if this is for your FIRST purchase? You may want to prioritize getting your first carry pistol, and/or hd/truck longarm. I think those two should be the first two purchases for any new guy owner. You're not locked in to those for life or anything, but before you get fun little range plinkers, or historical military style stuff or the latest wacky looking tacticool thing, you should have a primary carry piece and hd/truck long gun first.

>bruh
Hang yourself

>Marlin Model 60
>Cheap Deer Gun

I feel like you own a decked out 10/22 and believe anyone that didnt drop a grand plus on a .22 plinker is a “retard”.

AR7s are atrocious. Marlin papoose is a better idea. The stock on the ar7 is so cheap and it’s just too big. I’m no Ruger fan but they’re better than the ar7. Retard.

Find a 10/22.

>dont you have to be 18 to purchase mags etc?
No, but I can see some boomer cunt making this a store rule anyway.

No, it's a great gun.

However, even a used 10/22 will have more value to you down the road because of it's ability to be modded. It's also mag fed and just about every part can be upgraded including the barrel and stock. This way you can let it evolve with your shooting style or change it around if you get bored.

My last 10/22 was a stainless wood stocked gun that I got with 5 mags for under $200. It was used but prolly had only a couple bricks though it. Look around dude.

Not everyone wants to succumb to the rent jew shlomo

It's good enough but a 10/22 is better. And a basic bitch AR is better than that.
Be warned though: The tube mag on new ones bend real easily and can make it impossible to actually load them. So unless you want your gun to become a single shot breach loader be careful with it.

>And a basic bitch AR is better than that
ammo cost doe

Highly HIGHLY recommend you very carefully scrutinize the front sight post for canting. I picked one up in November last year for a fun plinker and found out the front post was drilled canted leading to a 5 MOA shift.

I had tech sights on it to correct it but it always bothered me that the QA was so shitty so I sold it to some boomer wanting to put a red dot on it and bought a 10/22 instead. Honestly wish I had gone with it from the start looking back, but I really do miss the aesthetics of the tube magazine and the m60 stock is much better looking than the carbine 10/22.

Yeah thank god he's spending an appropriate amount on a .22LR rifle instead of trying to buy a shitty poorfag AR.

just get .20cpr steel case if youre that much of a jew

I have one that’s at least 30 years old and never been cleaned, still works great even with cheap ammo.