Battle vest or battle belt?

Pondering my SHTF body gear. It seemed at first logical for me to go for the classic Alice style kit, with belt and shoulder straps and pouches. Then I questioned my priorities, and frankly I am probably not going to larp as a soldier if shit actually does hit the fan. I have a rifle and a pistol but any actual fighting will probably kill me with no other benefits to me. A battle belt is more discrete but not once I start to add pouches and stuff to it. A vest offers less flexibilty but is more discrete, but a SWAT vest gets attention too. Discretion is probably the better priority, yes? So now I think I'm going with this old outdoorsy vest instead. (almost like picture shows) I'm pondering adding some belt loops and find a belt in the same color; there's about two inches of free space beneath the lowest pouches so it is doable. And then I can have a battle belt as an option after all. How are you guys setting your kit up?

And before you ask - no I don't have an AC nor plates for it, and I don't really think I will be getting one. I consider high mobility the priority right below discretion.

Attached: 17FNSMFSMSHBCKFSHAPV_Tarmac_Green.jpg (500x809, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arktisoutdoor.co.uk/collections/b211-mountain-smock/products/b211-mountain-smock-olive-green
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

belts are nice for the fact it's one buckle on and off

You're already a lot more intelligent than most of Jow Forums if you've realized that being discreet is the way to go. I think your idea of going for the vest but having a belt too is good, but you should consider some armor anyway, it really doesn't impair your mobility that much and it's so cheap at this point that you might as well have some just in case you decide to bug in.

The vest and a belt are going to be more discreet than a plate carrier covered in pouches, but still less than something like a hoodie and no tactical gear at all. It all depends on what you're trying to do at the moment and what threats you're going to face. Something like a 3 mag bandolier that you can just toss with your rifle if you have to would probably be about as low key as it gets with you still being armed with a rifle.

I forgot I had a pic of the actual vest.

Attached: generic vest 1.jpg (892x1003, 217K)

The vest will hold my ammo I think; having just a bolt rifle - another reason not to plan for battles, and ARs are hard to qualify for where I kive anyway - and I think the upper pouches will suffice for my spare pistol mags.

My plans for the pockets include ammo, binos, first aid kit, multitool, compass and maps - there's some pretty big flat pockets inside the zippers - some energy bars, a flashlight and the UV5R in the top left pocket; I'll have to add a small extra strap for that. The radio is the only thing that will show up but with hunting radios sold here by the hundreds of thousands I figure it won't get big attention. I'm basically moving the entire contents over from the battle belt except for the canteen and the e-tool. And the big knife. I'm not sure about that either any more; it's nice and tactical but there's that discretion priority again. Maybe I'll go for a Mora or similar instead, with a brown or khaki sheath.

There is that. But it also puts the weighs on the hips (not a big issue) and leaves all the pouches available to snagging. While a vest is also on and off; mine doesn't need to be closed with the zipper; there's a one button strap midway which is all you need if you are in a hurry.

That looks perfect if you have a bolt action. You could probably go even more discreet with just a backpack for everything, but I think it really depends on where you live. That vest would stand out where I am, but I'm in a city.

You are right. Although for city use, I think a rain jacket or a hoodie would cover up the gear nicely - an advantage of the pockets not bulging out too much. And you are right abou the backpack too. I planned to get a butt pack for the battle belt but that WOULD get lots of attention. There's shoulder bags of various types and I have some, but a normal light backpack will probably serve the discretion priority better.

I live in a small town. Doesn't take much to be noticed around here; wear a funny hat while going shopping and you'll be Funny Hat Guy for the next three years. I guess I am Suburban Grayman.

Nice bulge, m8

Molle chest rig with 2x2 mag carrier, camelback, radio pouch, multishit utility pouch and spent mag rolly.
You aready have an ar slinged on your shoulder, what do you need to conceal?

>But it also puts the weighs on the hips
That's where it should be. It isn't natural to have the weight hanging out in front of you.

I like to keep my stuff layered and flexible. So I have a slickster that had nothing on it, and a separate "chest rig" that goes over it. And by chest rig, I mean it's a suspenders and belt set up that sits a bit above my belly button. And then an actual belt rig. The chest rig part goes on and off with one buckle, same for the belt. The PC is optional, but if needed, it's not very visible. It keeps things flexibile, but ultimately covers the needed bases.

Vest for patrol, belt for range stuff, but let's be honest - you're not going on patrol.

How about...you put your combat vest into a backpack and take it out when in danger (should you actually have time)?

The whole point of a vest is to have everything quickly available, I think this should not be forgotten as the function suffers.

Attached: asdfsdafsdaf.png (855x451, 338K)

Also, if you just have to get your gun fast, there's all kinds of fashion for climates where jackets are used.

Attached: 71pTXm4c5ML._SX425_.jpg (425x441, 20K)

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 144K)

Disagreeing, there. Yes it is good to place weight on the hips, but you just don't see hunters or rig workers or other outdoors people strut around with a lot of gear around their waists. Stuff mostly gets placed in the backpack or pockets.

I am not? I do ten mile walks several times per week. I figure that in SHTF, being able to cover a long distance on my legs might be pretty important. Not patrols, just hikes.

I like this one. Good thinking. I might take one of my jackets and rebuild it like this.

That's how I have stored my battle belt. It is how I will be storing the vest.

No one who's gonna try and shoot you can make out what you're wearing

Neither. All you need is ammo for your bangstick and water, and maybe an MRE or a sandwich or something, and certainly a trowel and a couple rolls of toilet paper. A fanny pack and a canteen will serve just as well as any amount of high-speed low-drag tacticool bullshit... which has the unwelcome effect of calling attention to yourself.

One hungry criminal can slip up behind you and shoot you in the head and take all your shit, because you are not in an infantry squad and do not have a dozen trained armed men covering you and each other. And that is what battle belts/vests/pouches/etc are designed and built for. Soldiers. In squads.

Go hunting. Get your hunting license and go hunting, even if it's for varmints, See what you need and what you don't and what you forgot, and what you need more of. I predict all the tacticool shit will vanish in favor of more water and TP for your bunghole.

Here endeth the sermon.

Artkis M675 is an awesome rig you can conceal under a jacket or hoodie and will fit anything you can imagine in the elastic pockets.

What’s the advantage of looking like a fudd? You know they make discreet plate carriers now.

a) I am a fudd. This is good because so is everyone else around here. b) I am not worried about real gun fights because there's a whole lot more hunting rifles with heavy scopes in this area than ARs. Anyone who are capable of shooting moose are capable of hitting me more than once.

Granted, a slim carrier might be on my wish list. Let's see if Santa thinks I have been naughty or nice recently.

This one? Not bad. Gives me an idea though; take a perfectly normal backpack and rebuild the hip belt with some discrete pouches. Maybe resew it subtly to gain an inch more vertical space.

Forgot pic.

Attached: s-l500[1].jpg (440x500, 35K)

>Vest or Belt
Belt

Attached: 412EB976-9AB1-4513-9DD2-A0E474904926.jpg (4032x3024, 2.67M)

>Everyone picking the most low profile gear for SHTF
>Not realizing that anyone carrying a gun or walking in the wrong place at the wrong time will be a target
Your best bet for not getting shot is rolling in numbers, knowing the people in your community, and keeping your larperating to dawn and dusk. Anyone that has night vision or thermals is someone you don't want to fuck with, so you might as well be out during daylight hours not stumbling around in the dark, but active when most people are waking up or bedding down. If you're carrying a long arm and dressed like a Fudd, people with ill intent are going to take a shot at you just like if you're kitted out in multicam. If they feel it's starting a fight they can't finish (it's you and twelve of your Fudd friends/tacticool friends in hill billy armored trucks for example) they might not take the shot regardless of whether your dressed like Rainobow Six or Ronald McDonald. Just pick functional clothing and try to keep a low profile within reason.

Belt senpai..vests are hot and saggy

We can agree that keeping a low profile is a good thing.

There's a lot of SHTF scenarios. I'm trying to plan for the ones who has already happened somewhere, so no zombie outbreaks. But epidemics, civil war of the Yugoslavia or Syria type, or international warfar washing over us like nuclear fallout (there's probably still a bit of Chernobyl in my body). So I envision a situation where a single man risk walking into road blocks or passing through streets patrolled by military units. I want to be left alone and be able to go where I need to be and I can't count on backup, so I plan for the 'refugee passing through' image. Someone not catching the eye of some GI looking to kick civilian ass that day.

Saddle Soap that belt Bucko.

Both will make you stick out like a sore thumb, sorry. I don't really get why you would give a fuck about wearing normal clothes though, considering that you will be carrying a fucking rifle on your shoulder, but whatever, you do you.

If you really care about looking somewhat normal while also being able to carry a lot of stuff, I suggest a good pair of cargo pants. Something like 5.11 Stryke - no camo, plain colors, lots of pockets without looking overly tacticool, organizers inside cargo pockets that prevent them from getting too baggy while also making it easier to access stuff quickly and more comfortable to move in.

Attached: 74369.jpg (600x600, 35K)

"Vests" are shit unless it's a plate carrier. Chest rigs are better. Something that can go under a jacket and can hold a couple mags and some medical equipment and nav gear is good. Pic related isn't the best example of a low profile rig, but it could still be concealed under a jacket. A SBR could be kept in a backpack or bag. Belts are great and you can also wear them under a jacket, especially something slim like a Ronin, but they can suck if you're wearing a pack. Really depends on youe belt and pack combo.

Great, until you take your pack off and all your shit is now off your body. Packs should hold extra supplies, not your essentials you might need at a moments notice.

If it's bad enough that people are getting shot if they wear camo or have guns, then people without camo or guns are going to be getting shot anyway. Just a backpack or wearing clothes is enough to make you a target. Wear camo that is useful where you live. If you have a gun, carry enough ammo to fight with and get home with. If you don't have a home, you're going to want all the ammo you can comfortably carry, especially if you're alone.

Attached: 1477151327994.jpg (1920x1280, 833K)

>If it's bad enough that people are getting shot if they wear camo or have guns, then people without camo or guns are going to be getting shot anyway
I totally agree, that's why I think all this sheep dawg low profile shit is totally pointless if you're planning on slinging a long arm over your shoulder to go with it. I've bought a couple of pieces of hunting camo even though I don't necessarily hunt because it's good for my area, it doesn't look like I'm an airsofter trying to larp as a tier 1 operator, and the price was right. Honestly in my area, the best bet would probably be OD coveralls and some kind of chest rig that can be reasonably concealed under a rain poncho or a light hoodie.

>Not realizing that anyone carrying a gun or walking in the wrong place at the wrong time will be a target
Counterpoint - If I was armed and wanted to rob someone, I would definitely prefer to rob people that are unarmed )and as such pose no risk to me whatsoever) rather than get into firefights with people who can shoot back, are wearing body armor and might have friends somewhere nearby.

Why the fuck would I want to rob armed people to begin with? I already have a weapon, ammo and all the gear. The only reason to rob someone would be food/water/other things that unarmed people are just as likely to have. It's not a fucking video game, I don't need better loot from more dangerous enemies.

Attached: rework-vintage-clothing_125_60d26d3d-bd1c-4926-a4df-a4829220a334_1024x1024.jpg (640x1024, 69K)

I've got cargo pants. In black, OD, khaki... it's everyday wear. Got them in at least four camo pattern variants too, but that is for the collection. Even have one in a very dark woodland pattern - workman clothes. But as long as I'm not heading innawoods I'll not be using camo. Arguably jeans would be the choice attracting least attention.

Good point about the backpack. I might reconsider that one.

My current gun options are bolt rilfes which are hard to conceal, shotguns which can be taken apart and stowed in a pack, and pistols. Maybe one day I'll get that survival rifle.

The flashy rig aside, a waist belt is not a bad idea for certain uses - particularly for a pistol. Less obvious than a holster.

Attached: 1111801_ou_pp.jpg (390x585, 49K)

No. But maybe something like this.

Attached: BH_40BP00BK_1_holsters_.jpg[1].jpg (700x700, 52K)

If society fails and you had to use the shotgun as a weapon, you can just saw off the barrel and cut down the stock to increase concealability. And rig it up on a single point sling to use as a backup for the bolt gun if that's how you want to roll.

I still want to emphasize how well a chest rig suits your needs. You can hide it under a jacket, if it's MOLLE you can configure it however you want and change it up as need be, you can keep it on when you take your backpack off, and it doesn't interfere with a pack as long as you get one with slim straps.

Attached: Bolt gun rig.jpg (1080x750, 1.1M)

Aight OP, I'll do my best recommend some stuff.
Headwear
>This can be anything you want/personal choice
Shirt
>Filson Feather Cloth Shirt (If it's warm)
>Filson Forestry Cloth Shirt or Pullman Knit shirt (for autumn or winter)
Vest
Of all the vest I've ever seen in my life, I'll mention
>SOTech Recce vest
>SADF Pattern 83 vest
>IDF Ephod, it has a ver minimal and efficient design
Waist
>Alonso Defense Group belt, if you so choose
Pants
>Arktis Ranger pants (Any colorway you want) it offers a Crye cut combat pant for less than half the price
>Fjällräven Keb pants, they may cost as much as Crye's but they fucking work
Footwear
>Lowa Zephyr GTX boots
>Danner Fort Lewis
Cheers, bud

Attached: sbkQBuO.jpg (2931x2177, 1.97M)

>she

The baddest motherfucker I know carries a 9x19 compact in a bland looking fanny pack. It's completely changed the way I look at middle aged men carrying fannypack/waist wallets.

Yes because hunting and civil unrest are the same fucking thing, i hope people have more sense than to take idiots like you seriously
>muh dont mess with hard target meme

People fuck with cops who have body armor, tasers and sidearms with the occasional long gun. What on earth makes you think showing off a gun and plate carrier will make them think any different?

Plate carriers/ches rigs should have armor under them are for if you plan on wearing them at all, belts are good for convenience so packing one is your car is a good idea if need be but both should have ifaks. If you carry a gun you need at least SOME plan to deal with someone shooting back again this is not hunting shit worth shooting will probably be firing the first shots dont listen to retards

Attached: 1556597366569m.jpg (767x1024, 122K)

>what do you need to conceal
My back up AR.

Part 2 of recommendations for OP
I will go a bit more in-depth with the load-bearing equipment:
Plate Carriers, personally, I like my plate carriers with only ammunition an IFAK and radio, anything else is unnecessary in a PC
>Tactical Tailor HEV plate carrier offers protection on the sides with proper inserts.
>Paraclete ARMIS
gear queer threads have a pastebin with basic information, in it, a recommended brand is Paraclete,it's releasable and scalable, should you need it.
>LBT-1195, discontinued, yet you can get the same form Blackhawk as the LRAK, or the 762Tactical Partisan LBV
All those are the same harness pretty much, and I've always thought they are quite practical and leave nothing to be desired.
Chest Rigs
>ATS Tactical 5.56 Split Front Chest Harness
>ATS Tactical Low Profile Chest Harness
>Velocity Systems Split Front Gen V
You're thinking ''Why all the split fronts, ya dingus?'' it's easier to take off/put on

Attached: 577af1e29273b_avenexalea.jpg.9fc53f8a3654f3f08b69561d59533546.jpg (1680x1050, 1.07M)

>People fuck with cops who have body armor, tasers and sidearms with the occasional long gun. What on earth makes you think showing off a gun and plate carrier will make them think any different?
A hoodrat chimping out on a cop is not the same as someone who is armed and already survived a few weeks of shtf. If you see someone with battle rattle you know they at least put some effort into prepping and likely have friends. The target will definitely be harder and you may set off his friends to come after your ass. If you see a fudd type its always a softer target and likely to be an easy mark. If nothing else it is the added information in a game of limited information.

That seems to be on a case-to-case basis, and some fuckers may or may not do the overview of an armored and armed target and say ''Oh well, I'm not gonna fight this guy''

Attached: 0_84d83_2461b5e4_XXL.jpg (768x1024, 90K)

What jacket is that?

"Mummy mummy, look! There's a man going down the street and he looks dangerous?" "Really? Let me peek behind the curtain... yes. You are right. Quick, run to Clem and tell him to bring his boys here real quick with their rifles. We can't be havin' with this."

arktisoutdoor.co.uk/collections/b211-mountain-smock/products/b211-mountain-smock-olive-green
There you go user

No idea. The photo was illustrating the rig. Looks like a variation on the M65 though.

My guy, I left the link responding to the other user, it's Artkis as well

>not exclusively larping at night when no one can see you
Asking to get shot

the zipper broke after 6 months of wear.

it's rothoco afterall

If you need supplies or medical attention there might actually be a need to be in contact with other living people. Even Mad Max had to face that problem at times.

Chest rig for vehicles and concealment, belt for everything else.

Yup, they're popular with euro cops/anti terror/sf for sneeki breeki shit. Being mostly elastic nylon they definitely aren't as tough as something like 1000D codura but as long as you aren't dragging it on concrete it'll last.

Attached: 19933313_746866525475396_4577652478530551808_n.jpg (480x480, 62K)

does the military actually buy rothco shit?
i bought a small bag from them years ago and one of the snaps came broke.
never ordering their garbage again

Something that's worth considering is your climate. A vest is going to be hotter than a belt, but a heavy jacket would interfere with a belt more than it would a vest. Also consider which would be more comfortable to move in, and which is going to be more secure when moving.

Battle belt x10

I originally went the PC route, and regret not doing a battle belt. Still pressed to find a negative about wearing plates at all, but especially as a civilian there's no reason to not put all or most of all of your shit on a battle belt, if for nothing else other than .

Faster to put on the belt, and faster to put on a slick PC with no shit on it other than the plates.