What is with fudds and boomers arguing that 357 magnum is useful in 2" barrels?

What is with fudds and boomers arguing that 357 magnum is useful in 2" barrels?

Attached: kimber-k6s.png (503x505, 126K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=27wDLjY5JSs
us.glock.com/en/pistols/g29-gen4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

But it is. .357 has different loads and if you handload you can get much more out of it than many other cartridges.

Would you want to get shot by it OP?

.38special is just as useful in every way when it comes down to it, it is cheaper and more manageable

I don't want to get shot by a .22, not the point and don't be a moron

there are no boomers still using 357 in snubs because they all have arthritis and load it with .38sp

38 spl is fine and dandy but there's always an advantage to having a faster bullet otherwise I don't think most should carry .357 but if you train with it and have a load you can control and are comfortable with why not use the faster bullet.

Out of a 2" barrel? You fucking moolie.

So whats the issue then? If it still kills just requires an extra bit of proficiency what's the deal?

If you have to ask that question then you are probably a noguns retard who dropped out of highschool. Or is still in it and going to drop out eventually because you are a simp without even a basic grasp of physics.

Are bad guys going to stop and laugh that you're not maximizing your potential out of .357 before getting shot? Have they grown resistant to the bullets?

It'll still have more velocity.

where is this argument even taking place?

357 mag will barely have any more velocity out than 38 out of that length, but way more recoil. Would legitimately be better to have a 38 that is lighter and has better follow up shots. Or a 9mm revolver.

I don't think you have a basic undestanding of physics. A .357 load that doesn't have time to burn the extra powder isn't going to impart more force than a .38 to either the projectile or back into the gun. You would at worst get more muzzle flash as the powder ignites outside of the barrel.

17k psi vs 38k psi
38 will have less recoil but .357 will always have more velocity. I agree that .38 is a better carry for most people but for those that can handle it .357 will be a better performing round.

The way I would handle it would be to have 4 .38's loaded with a .357 as the last round as number 5. It'd be the last round anyways and signifies you're at the end of your load.

Because when SHTF they want to be able to use more than one cartridge.

It's fine if you are basically stuffing it in their navel and dumping three rounds.

Which is about what any belly-gun is meant for.
It could be chambered for 12 gauge blank, and at contact range, it'd be lethal.

>but for those that can handle it

People who are already 100% deaf?

snub 357s are for morons.

because dude cigars ok?

>you think different than me you're a moron
You must be a fun guy to be around.

Snub .357's can shoot .38 and +p while handling recoil better than a dedicated .38. .357 snubs are for the fella who wants a gun that can do more than the average bear.

What's the point of gaining an insignificant amount of additional velocity in exchange for FAR worse recoil and muzzle blast? Diminishing returns, bro.

Hence the point about the individuals who can handle it with comfort, I'll just carry 4 .38's with a spicy .357 as #5 because there aren't going to be any more follow up shots and it'll be a cherry on top.

>not wanting a reloadable flashbang.

Attached: 1556663102580.jpg (493x386, 33K)

357 is irrelevant in current year. Pick a job you need a gun for. 357 will never be the best choice.

I wouldn't want to get shot by a bb gun, so why don't you carry that you jackass.

There are no individuals who can handle it with comfort, unless you have the luxury of doubling up on earpro.

You're willing to literally sacrifice your eardrums, and those around you, to "put a cherry on top"? You're either noguns or you're a fucking moron. Perhaps both.

I'd rather be deaf than dead, I'm already halfway there after working on CH-53e's. And people expose themselves to worse gunshots while hunting anyways, especially hunting handgun.

It'll still kill ya dead. .357 also functions with lever actions. If you wanted only one round .357 can hunt deer, small game, perform as a defensive round, and you can plink with .38's

In theory, .357 could have more recoil with no gain in velocity if it's accelerating a lot of unburned powder. But that extra mass is probably negligible. I agree the user you responded to is rarted.

You’re such a weak, recoil shy faggot that you will go around arguing that 38 special is just effective is 357 magnum when it’s clearly nowhere near as effective even out of a 2 inch barrel. Then you go around spreading a bunch of mis information when it takes 10 seconds to search Paul Harrell’s “357 magnum 2 inch barrel” and he would prove you wrong immediately

Stop arguing with him he’s either a troll or a bitch. Knowing this place is probably the latter

It’s a better round then pretty much everything out there in semi auto form including 10 mm. You’re a retard no gunz. God this place is packed with no gunz

Muzzle blast is awesome.

>glass wrists detected

If you shoot guns without earpro, it doesn't matter which caliber, you're going to suffer some permanent hearing loss.

A 125 gr .357 magnum out of a 2 inch barrel will be roughly 1250 fps vs the same bullet weight 38 spl being about 850 fps.

I kinda like that Kimber tho. Anyone knows how is its quality control? There were some issues, mostly cosmetic, in the first series i heard.

Just no. And even so its bot the same to have a little hearing loss than to be deaf as a brick.

.357 magnum out of a short barrel is one of the loudest shit you can shoot; like 9mm is 150db and .357 160db... and each 3db more DOUBLE the loudness, so its like 8 times more noise fucking you ears.

Dont believe me, do your research.

Under the grip on mine is one errant tool mark. No complaints otherwise. It's tighter and smoother than any j frame I've seen recently and leagues better than new colt.

I hear good things about the K6S. Helps that Grant Cunningham helped design it.

not useful, but are concealable. that's why the exist

A .357 magnum lets you fire hot .38 special and the weight helps mitigate the recoil.

Here's Paul Harrell's video on the topic.

youtube.com/watch?v=27wDLjY5JSs

holy fuck either bait or people are still falling for the bullshit "bro they're the same out of x barrel length!!!" meme. it's a longer fucking cartridge with a larger powder charge ffs

Glad to hear. I knew that the design was good.

Thing is Kimber is ridiculously expensive here in yurop, so it better be well made... expensive as in 1400€+ retail. For reference the Colt Cobra is like 1000€ and J-Frames start at 500€.

The cost (and to a slightly lesser extent, weight) are what keep me from getting a K6S. The better sights and extra round are nice, but I already have two J-Frames which I love.

If you can afford a Kimber, I'd say go for it, but you might be better served just getting a J-Frame.

>concealable
>not useful

Will it poke a hole in someone from the range it was designed to be used at? Yeah? Then it's useful.

Why do you think that larger powder charge has enough room to burn in such a short barrel?

>I'd rather be deaf than dead,
Sure.
Now explain how having a small amount more power is going to "save" you from being dead compared to just having 38s?

Fuck, why not carry a snub 454 casull at that point? More power, right?

Because a snub .454 isn't going to be as compact as a .357.

The numbers will prove you wrong. You think you know how this works but can't follow real world data. You're wrong

>>I can't handle recoil, therefore nobody can

Came here to mention Paul.

We seem to have one of these bait threads every week about how 357 in a snubby is just louder 38. I wonder if someone is just lonely.

Attached: tzwuq5ea1zu11.jpg (1125x1128, 78K)

This. My room clearing setup is an AUG, yellow tinted glasses, some ear protection, and a .500 S&W snub loaded with some home-made blanks.

Name a job you need a gun to do and I'll tell you what's better than .357 and why.

Shooting .38 and then a magnum round.

And with modern SD ammo that 38spl is still hitting FBI standards so you gain nothing but slower follow up shots and 500% more ear bleeding.

I can still use the .38's and a .357 at the end of the cylinder. Plus .357 snubs will be heavier than dedicated .38's making it a better platform for shooting .38's with more weight to control recoil.

That's not a job...maybe a SHTF larp about ammo scrounging or something...

Also more weight to carry and there are all steel 38 snubs on the market.

>that's not a job
How about one bullet to hunt deer and carry concealed?

10mm is better than 357 for that. All the performance you need and higher capacity for SD.

>10mm
>CC
Bullshit, I love 10mm but you aren't going to be able to conceal that unless you're wearing a jacket. My .357 snub fits in my pocket while wearing shorts at the beach.

us.glock.com/en/pistols/g29-gen4

Anyone who thinks .357 out of a 2" is a good idea as a defensive gun has never shot one.

>pocket carry
>that thick pig
Nah m8

Why not as #5 after 4 .38's

>deer hunting with a 2" 357

Nah m8

You'd hunt with a lever carbine dummy

How big are your pockets?

you carry a snubbie and hunt with the carbine silly, you're trying really hard to not have common sense here.

How many people hunt with their CC piece? It's expected you'd have a separate firearm to hunt with, the benefit is in being able to load and buy 1 cartridge and you could shoot .38's out of both as well.

The whole thread is bait bro. They're arguing in bad faith because they are lonely. They just need to accept that they're the next range trap and move on to carrying a 25 acp in their brazier.

Oh ok then CCW a glock10mm and hunt with a 10mm hi point carbine.

Useful? It's a gun. It's inherently useful.

As far as the point of snubby Magnum? I'll give you a hint.

Attached: Wand_of_Fire.png (175x225, 73K)

Thanks user, I figured as much but sometimes bait is just too juicy
but you can't pocket carry a 10mm no matter how optimistic you are

More juice than .38 out of a revolver, which is kinda in a marginal area where there are very few expanding loads with good real world credentials in terms of reliable penetration, particularly when/if intermediate barriers get involved. If youre married to the platform then it kinda makes sense if you want a smaller ccw piece and say spend a lot time around cars or larger animals. Of course 9mm revolvers are also a good choice in that category, but they have their own issues too.

>but you can't pocket carry a 10mm no matter how optimistic you are

Some of us wear pants with belt loops.

>which is kinda in a marginal area where there are very few expanding loads with good real world credentials

You're never heard of the FBI load? It's been passing out dirt naps for decades. It's been superceeded today by loads like the HST and Gold Dot short barrel. 38spl +p is a solid performer with none of the drawbacks of .357.

understandable, but what about carrying at the beach without a shirt? I think IWB carry is great but you can't always carry IWB. Will you limit yourself to always wearing belts? The best gun is the one you're carrying and I can nearly always carry the .357 snubbie

The FBI Load was commonly used in 3-4" barrel revolvers, not the 1 7/8" or 2" barrels most people carry today.

I've never understood the whole beach thing. If you've been once you've pretty much gotten all there is to get out of it. I have family members who LOVE it. I just don't get the appeal.

I pocket carry a 442 in 38spl. I don't need to larp about also needing 357 in a long gun for hunting because I can afford better hunting guns. It's funny the scenarios that have to be crafted to attempt(and fail) to give 357 some meaning in current year though.

Most FBI were EDC'ing snubs though and it was an approved off duty load for most major metropolitan police forces in the spinboi era.

I can understand the sentiment but when you've got family you do things the whole family can enjoy and stay out of trouble with. I don't want to worry about loading mu8ltiple rounds and .357 will take deer as good as any other round. Plus I CAN STILL CARRY 38's in my .357 while having it be easier to control because the gun was designed for a stouter round, and I can carry 4 38's and 1 .357 as the last bullet for a cherry on top and it's a clear sign I'm empty when I'm stressed.

Just recognize you are selecting 357 not because it is necessarily the best choice for each job but because it's the best compromise due to your personal mitigating circumstances.

If I wanted the best round for deer hunting I'd use 300 win mag. Every choice you make is a compromise regarding your situation and the "best" round is extremely subjective.

>deer hunting I'd use 300 win mag.

lol overkill again. It seems you're just not capable of making informed decisions. Many such cases. Sad.

You're a dummy

This. I'll continue my crusade of education. You should be saying Generation X or Y. Boomers are in their 70's and 80's.

so whats the "best" round for hunting deer?

Depends of where you live and what deer. I live in the SE so taking shots much over 100y is breddy rare and our whitetails are smol compared to mulies so it really doesn't take much. If I had to take a wild ass guess what was most popular down here it would probably be .270.

>depends
So a compromise between velocity, weight, and price huh?

No a compromise would be "I need something that can kill whitetails at 100y and mulies at 400y."

Full power .357 magnum has more energy out of a 2" barrel than 9mm+p+ has out of a full size barrel. Anyone who uses overpressure 9mm but criticizes .357 magnum is a hypocrite.

Well why compromise with .270 when you can have rounds that recoil less and still have enough power for deer? Every choice for a firearm depends on more than just balliatic energy, how available ammo/reloading components, can I carry it comfortably, can I shoot it comfortably. A large portion of people cc .357 snubs because it's the right gun for them. I personally don't feel comfortable with an autoloader in my pocket on a loaded chamber, however a snub nose revolver has the right trigger weight for my comfort level, and it can cycle in my pocket, a revolver can make contact shots, and IT FITS IN MY POCKET. Your choice to carry whatever you carry is a compromise too friend.

>A .357 load that doesn't have time to burn the extra powder
.357 magnum gets bullets to a higher velocity than 38 special even out of a 2" barrel.

LOL you don't have to sell me on the spinboi as the ultimate pocket gun bro. I just think 357 snubs are fucktarded. Pic related is what peak performance looks like.

Attached: 100_2689.jpg (2048x1536, 922K)

I can still shoot .38 out of the .357 and even get better performance because it'll be just that much heavier. I don't think .357 is the right bullet for everyone but I'm sure there are those who can handle it, as well as the fact I don't want to limit myself to just .38 when I can shoot .357 and have more fun with loading because I've got more room in the cylinder for bullets.

guy with the faggy gun is a pussy
shocked shocked i say

I don't have any problems shooting 38spl j frames and heavier is not a quality I look for in a pocket gun.