The cold hammer forged meme

ive read that CHF is only a benefit for the manufacturer, its cheaper or higher volume or something. whats the truth?

Attached: 16103148290_6ec550a66e_z.jpg (639x425, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cz-usa.com/barrel/cold-hammer-forged/
cz-usa.com/barrel/cold-hammer-forged-chrome-lined/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I’ve heard that it increases barrel life but I’ve been wondering if it’s worth it to get CHF as well.

Yes, it is those things if you are churning out tons of barrels. You'll lose money if you're a small time outfit, they are literally multi-million dollar machines before any extra tooling you might want. It does increase barrel life by increasing the density of the material, same as forging does but once you chrome the bore or nitrocarburize that point is moot. It can offer extremely repeatable manufacturing since you have the one mandrel and it's all done pretty much simultaneously unlike buttons/broaches.

Look up cold work. It's a stronger barrel than if it was just reamed.

Pretty sure CFH works after the chrome is gone, unlike other barrels which get shot out earlier.

I mean, it does, but by that point the barrel is probably going to be keyholing (or exhibit extremely poor precision due to throat/muzzle wear) since you have to take the chrome plating into account when you set the dimensions.

CHFing makes the metal harder/more durable, the barrels are more accurate from gun to gun because as the other user said, its the same every time. I have also heard it aligns the steel molecules more evenly so it is very even material density and composition through the barrel so it has less spots where the barrel could be thicker or thinner and cause the barrel to shift more during firing and heating it up.

The product is better for the customer.

It's only better for the manufacturer if they are making very high volume and can afford the insanely expensive machine.

Google work hardening.

CHF hardens the barrel by pounding the ever loving shit out of it. It’s more expensive. Barrels tend to be higher quality, more accurate, and smoother on the inside. Easier to clean because there’s less tooling marks. Leaves a perfect indentation of rifling in the barrel you’re making.

That being said, button rifling operations can churn out barrels like nobody’s business and can be made pretty accurate. Just look at Savage. Their rifles are known for their accuracy and they’re button rifled.

>Barrels tend to be higher quality, more accurate, and smoother on the inside
Uh, the barrels tend to be chrome lined, which is way less accurate. Don't swill the marketing too hard friend.

>which is way less accurate.
hi where are proofs??

Not true. chrome can be extremely accurate it just depends on the manufacturer.

>chrome lined in the current year
>what is nitride

True. DD in particular makes very accurate CHF/chrome lined barrels. But the majority are not exceptionally accurate whereas even budget nitride barrels like BA are able to offer a sub-MOA guarantee.
No, go fuck yourself.
>what is nitride
Something you generally see on non-CHF barrels.

You misspelled marginally. First not all CHF barrels are chrome lines and second, there’s no real reason to not chrome line a barrel unless you enjoy sub 3k round barrel life. Is it less accurate? Yes, but it’s still more accurate than the shooter. I really don’t care what method of barrel rifling you prefer, but it seems like your problem is with lining, not CHF

Right, look at what people use for any high accuracy shooting competition. They certainly are not using mil-spec CHF chrome lined barrels. CHF and chrome lining is done to help barrels hold up through extremely high temps and thermal cycling when shooting FA/burst. Unless you are shooting FA/burst or are repeatedly magdumping every day you won't see much benefit of CHF CL over a button rifled melonited 4150 or 416R.

>No, go fuck yourself.
Great to know you have absolutely zero fucking proof of your claim.

>not all CHF barrels are chrome lines
>>tend to be
Welp, already addressed that. There goes half your post
>there’s no real reason to not chrome line a barrel unless you enjoy sub 3k round barrel life
Ok retard
>Yes, but it’s still more accurate than the shooter
Maybe less accurate than you, not less accurate than me. You should shoot more, you'd have a more realistic understanding of barrel lifespans then.
> but it seems like your problem is with lining, not CHF
You're awfully defensive right off the bat.

I don't really feel like explaining why the sky is blue to someone who can't see. If you really want proof of the most basic fact about barrels pertaining to accuracy, you're not really worth convincing.

That's not true at all.
cz-usa.com/barrel/cold-hammer-forged/
cz-usa.com/barrel/cold-hammer-forged-chrome-lined/
You don't understand how work hardening works. Most barrel steels have a very low work hardening rate. Even the stainless barrel steels are pretty similar to the non-stainless ones because they're also martensitic or precipitation hardening.
Yeah sure if you were to make a barrel out of an austenitic stainless like 304, but most companies don't use 300 series barrels.

>there’s no real reason to not chrome line a barrel unless you enjoy sub 3k round barrel life

Except that salt bath nitriding exists and doesn't affect the critical dimensions of the chamber/bore. Unless you are going to be firing FA/burst or repeatedly magdumping on a frequent basis nitriding is preferable. People need to get over this boomer lore that CL barrels will last for 50k rounds but anything else will keyhole in 3k rounds.

>That's not true at all.
I bet there are more chrome lined CHF AR barrels in the world then there are CZ barrels total.

Ok buddy retard.

Every true combat rifle has a chrome-lined barrel. THAT is what you should be looking for. The nitriding bullshit that's all the rage is just barrel manufacturers trying to pull the wool over your eyes by substituting a much more expensive and effective process with cheap black dip.

So let me ask you this. What quantifiable amount will chrome lining affect accuracy? Not being a smart ass, just genuinely curious.

none if it's done right

That's pretty much impossible to give you a proper answer to, since there are numerous barrel manufacturers in different price ranges using different methods to make barrels. The most accurate are always stainless barrels. There are simply no chrome lined barrels that can consistently match up, when compared at the same pricepoint. You put a $200 stainless against a $200 chrome lined, stainless wins.

A JP enterprises barrel can do .20 MOA. It also costs $600.

Ballistic Advantage offers a sub-MOA guarantee on all their barrels, nitride and stainless, which are in the $150-$250 range. It's one thing to say a barrel CAN do sub-MOA shooting, it's a whole other to guarantee it. Keep that in mind.

BCM barrels I find range from 1 MOA to 1.5 MOA and are around the $250-$350 range.

Daniel Defense I've found to be consistently capable of .75 to 1 MOA, in the $300-400 range. They're the best chrome lined barrels I've ever shot.

Colt you're looking at like 1.5 to 2 MOA. Same for FN. It works.

I'd say you're kinda right, kinda wrong. A good chrome lined barrel CAN be very good. But it's never going to be as good as a good stainless barrel. It'll have to be really good to compete with a much lower end nitrided barrel.

>There are simply no chrome lined barrels that can consistently match up
That's a sweeping generalization. The chrome in the bore can be machined to a high definition rifling to achieve accuracy as good as any other barrel. It's just a laborious process for the same reason why chromed barrels are factually more durable than any plain steel barrel. Criterion is one manufacturer that comes to mind.

>going to be as good as a good stainless barrel
sure. I guess it depends on what gun you're putting it on for how much it matters. Me personally, I guess I'm spoiled with a DD rifle with a nice barrel. In my opinion, unless somebody is shooting from a bench for groups all day then a chromed lined barrel is fine, but if they are really chasing groups they will probably not be using an AR

It doesn’t make anything more dense unless there were voids to begin with, and there probably aren’t

cope

how is that coping?

>DD rifle with a nice barrel

psa is just as good for all AR purposes. They're disposable commodities. get a decent bolt action for tight groups

>just as good

Attached: 1555912498723.gif (640x360, 1.17M)

for all intents and purposes the $500 psa does the same thing as the $1500 DD

Attached: brainlettttt.jpg (800x450, 44K)

yep, goes bang every time

>It does increase barrel life by increasing the density of the material, same as forging does
No, you're not changing the density of anything by forging. If anyone ever tells you this then, congratulations, you know he doesn't know shit. The only density change you'll see in steel as you process it is a slight reduction in density if you give it a heat-and-quench hardening. And yes you read that right, fully hardened steel is less dense than unhardened steel, hardness/strength/wear resistance and density do not have any direct connection to each other. Both gold and aluminium are soft as hell.
Cold forging work hardens the material a bit, which increases wear resistance at the cost of some toughness. That's where you get the extra barrel life from.