What is the best survival knife today? and because?

What is the best survival knife today? and because?

Attached: images.png (225x225, 2K)

The one you have when you need it.
Because: It is the one you have when you need it.

Depends where you're surviving? A 4-5" convex grind or scandivex grind with a full width tang and pinned in scales and a good stainless steel will cover your bases with minimal up keep. That being said, an axe in colder enviroments or a machete in a tropical one will will be much more practical.

A sturdy, wood handled hatchet is always the best knife.

pic related

Attached: Kniper-throwing-knife-and-multi-tool-price-urchin-sky.png (752x750, 1018K)

>That being said, an axe in colder enviroments
lolno

Busse Team Gemini Light Brigade or a custom Wilson hollow handle.

Yeah man cutting down trees, cutting them down, and splitting them is totally easier with a knife

i really wanna see someone eat with that fork.
wtf you supposed to do hold the blade while you use it?

Why would you need to cut down a tree? When are you ever going to cut down a tree in a survival situation?
>b-but wood
Is literally everywhere as dead fall.
>b-but shelter
You're not building a log cabin my dude.

>fork

>yeah man I fucking hate permanent shelters, this hammock will totally get me through the canadian winter

That's not a survival tool then, you're looking for a survivalist larp tool.

In which case you'd be better off bringing a chainsaw and a truck.

A leatherman multitool.

Friend has that knife. Eating with the fork is actually not hard, every thing else is hard.

USAF survival knife, because it was designed after 5000 interviews of war time pilots who were shot down and survived with lessor knives. Over a million 1950 dollars went into creating that knife and when some fuker stole my issue 1968 USAF survival knife, I cried

Attached: 4213412343214.jpg (840x473, 306K)

Just carry a Spork!
Or a Foon!

Youre a dumbass.

Winter in Canada, you take an axe everywhere. A Hatchet at least.

The axe is an ultimate survival tool, you can build a serious shelter w/one but it takes KNOWLADGE to make one work

I dunno m8. My 20 years innawoods in leafland, most times never take an axe, even during wi ter. Given it's a skill level, I understand if you dont have it.

Nah. Dead weight you don't even need.

folding saw with a large knife is superior in just about every way

what it has of special?

Retarded answer, because OP has no knife, wants to have one, and he wants the best one.
>a good stainless steel
I'd pick carbon or something like D2.
>proposing hollow handle knives for serious
>a large knife
>large
Why would you need a large knife? Large knives are needed when you have no saw or hatchet.

tu vitto

depends on what you mean by large. i meant like a bushcraft knife that is sizable, as opposed to a mora which in my opinion is small. i don't mean like a freaking kukri or something

IMO, the perfect knife that would be comfy both for camping and (though it's a stupid idea) fighting, should have 10-12 cm blade.

Ok.
Finn here.

Few points about knives and axes. There is a sort of saying that "the closer you get to the equator, the larger the knives tend to be. And the closer to the poles, the smaller the knives tend to get." So geography and especially local vegetation dictates what kind of tool is suitable.

In the tropics or hotter climates the vegetation you deal with tends to be more broad-leaf shrubs, bushes and smaller trees with waxy hard coating on leaves (to preserve moisture inside plants). There are also large trees especially in jungles, but mostly you won't bother doing anything with those. In those environments, larger chopping tools like machettes are better suited to deal with the understory vegetation. If you need a longer term habitation, smaller branches will do just fine and can be cut with a machette as you don't have to worry about insulation.

The more north you go, the hardier the bark of bushes become and the branches in general become harder to just chop through. The light machettes start having difficulties and heavier billhooks or not-as-long-but-sturdier-than-machette (bowie-type) knives start to make their appearance. Saws and small hatchets start to become more common as even some smaller trees may require more force to chop.

If you go to boreal or continental sub-arctics (think Canada, Scandinavia, Russia) the larger knives tend to get shorten into very short ones but are more frequently paired with axes. The knife is for the handling smaller, fine-detail duties like food preparation and handywork, while the axe is used for anything else. This is simply because at those latitudes the vegetation has evolved into proper winters and their bark is hardy and wood either very bendy (like willows) in or properly thick and hard like in pines, birches and spruces.

(continued)

Attached: Jungle1.jpg (1280x800, 424K)

(Continued)

In these latitudes creating heat and insulating yourself from elements and climate becomes quickly more important. Summers are short and small even during springtime and autumn nights may drop close to freezing temperatures. You must be able to collect PLENTY of firewood and that usually means going tree-chopping.

Also, constructing even temporary shelters requires cutting off fairly thick branches that even billhooks may have difficulties with. Saw (or at least a sawblade to which you could construct a handle out in the field) used to be very common item in outdoorsmans arsenal in addition to an axe in these parts of the world. Spending any longer time in these climates necessitates building some sort of permanent cabin with thicker walls. you won't be spending a month in that ad hoc spruce-branch lean-to during wintertime.

This transition from longer blades to shorter ones as we move up north can be seen as natural historical evolution of tools to best suit the environmental needs.
The only exception to this "northern knives tend to be short" -rule is with raindeer herders like Sami people, who use longer Leuku knives to chop up the raindeers.

In Finland, they have used this "knife for small stuff, axe for everything else" method since the fucking _stone age_, For the last ~10000 years! And there must be a reason for it. Because it WORKS here.

So in this matter, when you are thinking "what kind of knife would be suitable for me?" take a page from your ancestors (or aboriginals) book and think what kind of gear they used to have there in your local conditions (or at the location where you intend to move to). That gear is very likely to be functional in local circumstances.

Boards like Jow Forums will be full of assholes pushing what THEY think is the bestest-best-ever knife, while they might live on the other side of the world and think about completely different geography and vegetation when they think about survival.

Attached: forest.jpg (600x402, 126K)

(tl;dr)

There is no ultimate survival knife.
Different tools for different uses. And geography dictates what kind of uses you will be facing.

Attached: puukko.jpg (364x425, 17K)

Amazing Pekka had just saved the thread

Attached: IMG-20190505-WA0000.jpg (4608x2592, 1.78M)

Just an addition really quickly.
If you are a TOTAL newbie what comes to camping/outdoors (meaning, this is one of your your first 5 times going out there to get the feeling of outdoors) and you don't really have a knife and you are looking into what kind of knife you could buy...

I'd recommend that you KEEP IT SIMPLE. Buy a simple and relatively cheap knife. As a rule of thumb, your very first knife shouldn't cost more than 40-50 $/€/£. Don't go for 100+ fancy ones.

Your first knife should be reliable but also at the same time expendable. As a newcomer to the bushcraft, you WILL make mistakes and you WILL use your knife wrongly or in ways that might harm it. This is FINE! Everyone makes mistakes in the beginning and your first knife should be the ones you make those mistakes with.

For example, my dad is an old bushcrafty type who knows his shit. He knows all about carbon steel and stainless steel and how they differ. But when he bought me my first knife, he just went with simple, small stainless steel one. Your very averige (and actually very similar to Mora Bushcraft) knife. He wasn't worried about me learning about how to tend to my knife to prevent rust, or how to use it as fire starting tool with flint, or how I should learn to sharpen it....

He just wanted me to have a simple, no-maintenance knife that I could use to learn the very basics. The whittling, the chopping, proper grips, feathersticks... the VERY basics. And he didn't have to worry if I'd hit the ground or some rock or generally abuse it (because newbies do that, just to see how their knife handles it).

Only later on he started to teach me about differences between carbon and stainless steel and how he sharpened my knife with a belt sander but he sharpened his own knife with a whetstone.
He taught me the basics first, and then elaborated as I gained experience.

Later I got to buy my own carbon steel knife, once I knew what I was doing.

Attached: puukko_kirves.jpg (360x324, 22K)

I mean it is safe to hold the blade as long as u dont slide the blade in ur hand. Same thing as half swording

Spork. It's a spoon and a fork.

"tobacco pipe"?

By Apistotookii, how horrifying.

Attached: Blackfoot.jpg (1023x786, 129K)