Brass bullets?

Been thinking of the bunga a lot in lieu of the thing in Venezuela. Issue is being a poor fag i only have an Arisaka in 7.7 jap and not alot of ammo. So would you hypothetically be able to take discarded brass and cast it into bullets instead of using lead? And if so what kind of ballistic performance should you expect from it?

Attached: DtH0kQzWoAA2fa7.png (1200x855, 810K)

Other urls found in this thread:

alltiresupply.com/collections/wheel-weights
moderntiredealer.com/article/725128/wheel-weight-update-lead-wheel-weights-are-still-here-in-most-states
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8×50mmR_Lebel
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You ever heard of lead free bullets?

Bro just steal wheel weights off of cars. You can use brass cases to make jackets if you for some reason have enough cases that you can spare them.

I simply ask for the worst case scenario where i don't have access to anything else but spare cases

>planning to wait until bunga to acquire ammo
Not gonna make it.

Pretty much this also brass/copper have relatively high melting points compared to lead and most home methods of casting so press/swag/lathe are the more likely methods of production. Also high probability of being illegal "armor piercing" due to legal definition unless you can provide a "sporting purpose". With that said likely better than copper solid re momentum from increased density and harder than lead so better barrier penetration for my wag

If you run out of brass, you can just melt down nickels to use. They contain 75% copper, 25% nickel which is a pretty good composition for making cupronickel bullets.

Where does that alloy fall on hardness/density/fed legality re ap jacket as currency destruction is already a silly crime?

No idea, but I thought you were talking about emergency circumstances of needing materials to make bullets.

Different annon with an interest in metal working/casting, I will look at it later and see if it is a preshtf stockup option see

Using brass or copper is not a complete dumb in a SHTF/tyrannical government scenario.

High power guns can't use cast lead bullets because the bullet would explode as soon as they left the barrel. That's why they have a jacket today.

But in a SHFT scenario it is hard to make jackets for bullets in your garage. The 2nd best one could do is make it out of solid copper or brass.

Fun fact; in world war one the French used solid brass bullets.

You can buy solid copper bullets legally you retard.

Save up, buy an ar and all the tula you can afford, and at least 10 magazines.

Get a lathe or go to a machine shop; de sign a relatively simple bullet design then lathe is, remember copper is stronger than lead and less heavy, so use your powderloads accordingly and mast some tests on bullet diameter : 7,7jap is .311 like an ak over the .312 of 303 & X54r ...

Im not gonna pretend like i know fucking anything about this but couldnt u just cast a smaller bullet out of lead the put the smaller cast inside of a bigger case and fill that with copper or brass or whatever?

Solids for hunting yes, may want to read up on other aspects of the law before posting on the topic bro

Brass is often used with dangerous game cartridges (375 h&h and up) it can get tricky for "pistol" rounds legally speaking but it is damned effective on itsown

Copper and brass do have higher melting points than lead, but they are still castable. I haven't cast bullets, but I have cast other things from brass and bronze. Stack up bricks to make a furnace, fill it with charcoal, get a fire going and use a hair dryer or similar to blow air in the bottom.

the moment you poured in the molten brass or copper it would melt the lead then you'd have a big mess on your hands.

This is likely the most effective method. Weight is a concern but bullet length and corresponding lack of case capacity are major concerns for optimized combat rounds (think nato standards) 30-06 is a lot of fun with copper and brass

Good point on the brass and hadn't considered bronze I just know for my are a forge above lead is a bad idea (close dry vegetation and neighbors) so swagging or lathe work for me from sheets or rods respectively

I see, i went and looked up how its actually done and i was thinking then what about a cast lead bullet that is again smaller and just kind of wrapping a heated and softened but not molten jacket around it? Sorry for being rarted about the subject

You want to cast the brass/copper jacket first then pour the lead into that.

The problem is you need to make a two perfect moldes for the bullet to be balanced probably. If you make the bullet solid; the molde is going to be simplified and more balanced for accuracy.

Also it is 10 times easier to find copper in abandoned houses than lead.

Makes sense but assuming in the scenario ur just going for thing that goes fast rather than thing that goes fast and straight couldnt u just get away with casting the copper then pouring lead in and letting it cool?

If you wanted to make bullets fast why would you waste time looking for lead and doing a double pour?

Just sell the Arisaka and get an AR. With way of AR prices, sell a few boxes of 7.7 JAP and buy an AR with that.

Well if ur using all brass or copper that would be less bullets made. So while it does take longer per bullet u get more bullets overall but i guess its dependent on the situation

>selling guns

Consider black powder muzzle loaders and 45-70, lot more forgiving in load/casting/pressure spikes. But if limited to whatever you have (assuming 556) and unable to buy much equipment try to pick up 1/4 inch copper rods and cut to about the length of a green tip and use a drill as an improvised lathe to shape the bullet with sandpaper in a conical mold. Sucks to do but can churn out a few bullets in an hour. Oh and ear pro+eye pro and dust mask highly recommended.

Yes you fucking retard
You sell your autistic borderline usesless milsurp for something than actually defend you
Why the fuck did you buy an Arisaka as a first firearm
Oh wait I don't fucking care. I already know. It's Jow Forums you're retarded and thought oh man this cool historical rifle will be a lot of fun hahaha
>ammo prices and availability be damned
"Oh now cowabunga happened anons what do I do I don't have ammo and only have this fucking retarded old ass bolt gun because I fetishize both Japan and some old as fuck finn that spent his entire life outside hunting and actually using his fucking guns instead of staying inside and sitting at a computer all day what the fuck do I do oh man oh god mom almost found out about the cum Arisaka the other day and my gamer socks almost got stolen from the porch but the sheer stench of the fucking semen splattered against the wall of my room deterred the would be garboon from taking the package oh fuck man what do I do I'm so fucked because being niche was all I could think about instead of practicality geeze rick *uuuuuuurp* listen morty you're a fucking dumbass either sell the Arisaka and get something you can actually use at the range more than once a trimester or do the world a favor and suck start your firing pin".

Lmao different user famalam. I was just saying u shouldnt sell guns

Wheel weights have been made of zinc for awhile now.

Even worse you're just as retarded but for different reasons. You should sell guns when you realize the purchase was a fucking mistake and obviously don't have the income to justify a second firearm.

Disregard previous measurement you are fucked re arikasa for redneck bullet lathe.
Yet another different annon but you both are right. Hold on to what you got unless it is absolutely untenable but at some point be fucking practical and not a broke dick.

The only thing i would be worried about would be fucking up the shape if doing it by hand
Imagine being this assblasted about someone liking a gun

Attached: 1536200859173.png (431x846, 73K)

I thought so but wasn't sure enough to comment, fishing/crabbing weighs still lead?

What if he buys an old Hi-Points?

Yes and you can also get tungsten weights to that could be used as penetrators.

Corrected myself when I reread what you had. You would need half inch rods and fuck doing that the 1/4 inch to 223 is bad enough especially if you don't take enough off but it is marginally doable. You are stuck with needing calibrated equipment, proper sized molds (fuck your velocity potential with cast lead) or an actual lathe

Honestly would be better than a fucking arisaka.
Especially if he got a hi-point carbine.

Can get sure but fuck my tools trying to work unless I am drilling out a 458 or 50 and putting in a 1/4 inch rod.......

Honestly just taking a rod and sanding it down it would probably just be better to melt it down and call solid copper or whatever. Getting the exact proportions like u said would require a fair amount of shit if u didnt want to McFuck ur gun

Especially an older gun that's about mcfucking had it with bubba.

I was so hoping to start a shit storm.
I speak from experience, do as this user said, I legit sold my Jap Type 38 cause I couldn't find ammo for it that was cheap and steady supply. Was cool gun and all, but got a SKS for it when the SKS was cheap. Then traded the SKS for two ARs.

Unless he has some family heirloom war bring back with the chrysanthemum intact

alltiresupply.com/collections/wheel-weights

They're lead. Zinc isn't dense enough.

moderntiredealer.com/article/725128/wheel-weight-update-lead-wheel-weights-are-still-here-in-most-states

Ah, looks like some shit states ban lead wheel weights. I don't live in any of these shitholes so I didn't know.

Roof flashing is also lead.
Tbh I just buy my lead from rotometals and pay their price because I recycle mine anyway.

Does a man not have the right to do what he wishes with his own property? Fuck off, boot licker.

You don't use solid coppers for hunting dumbass

You're an idiot, first off you have to have all the other reloading supplies and tools, next you need to cast brass, one of the only things you have a finite supply of, and also why don't you just buy a cheap gun in 9mm or something cheap and available so you don't have to scavenge to get unicorn ammo that it already had to get?

If S really H TF, you could take apart big ol batteries.
When my workplace replaced the batteries for the forklifts, me and a friend picked the old ones apart and melted the lead down into diving weights and fishing weights.
I can't say how well they'd work for bullets, as I gather some people mess with the alloy, adding tin and antimony or whatnot, but I reckon you'll figure it out if the shit just hits the fan hard enough for long enough.

The copper jacket is to prevent the rifling from stripping off the bullet. With a modern high powered cartridge you either need to use a lower twist rate or a copper jacket to prevent this. Bullets don't explode as they exit the barrel, they would explode inside the barrel if there were that kind of overpressure.
The "solid copper bullet" thing is also a lie. 8x50R used a jacketed bullet. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8×50mmR_Lebel