Best all-around combat sword (no shield)

Is the saber the best sword for combat against another swordsman with neither of you having a shield? Also sword thread, I guess

Attached: 20190506_151842.jpg (688x647, 37K)

depends if there is armor, if there isn't, go for a strong rapier

You do realize that they are a lot of different sort of sabres? Infantry or cavalry, cut centric vs thrust centric vs compromise, what era, what amount of hand protection, amount of curve. All of those vastly varied and made for fairly different weapons.

Also, at some point when the weapon starts to be very similar (comparing a random infantry sabre to a rapier is nothing like comparing a halberd against a rapier), of course, the skill you have will be more important than the weapon.

I'd rather have the sword I'm trained with rather than something which is supposedly better on paper.

Speaking from years of experience: The best SWORD to fight against other swordsmen is a good rapier, as long as no armor or shields are involved.
Rapiers were literally develpoped as anti-sword swords.
If you want something other than a sword, go for a spear!
But rapiers are excelling in their role as duel weapon.

Attached: FA23_1_l.jpg (1105x535, 108K)

This, I don't like rapiers but they really are easy to use against other people with swords.

Weapons expert here.
The only blade sharp enough to chop through a human limb is the katana and its derivatives. I own one and I routinely chop through bundles of straw thick enough to simulate a human body. Ive tried this with my other swords (I own 3 of them) and none can do the trick, though the broadsword comes close lol. For more evidence of this, just look at WWII. When American Marines were fighting in the Pacific, they would always try to shoot down the Japanese soldiers with katana first, because of how effective of a weapon it was. There are even stories of katana wielding soldiers who could cut a bullet in half, thus saving their lives. The Marines knew that if they were to let a katana wielding soldier get too close that it was over for them, so they opted to try to keep them at distance. I've even performed experiments on my katana to see if these rumors were true, and sure enough mine was able to split a bullet right down the middle. Why do you think the Mongolians never successfully invaded Nipon? Research suggests that the Roman Empire was aware of the existence of the Japanese Empire, why do you think they never attempted to invade? The katana was truly effective enough to keep Japan safe from these outside forces. So anyone who tells you there are no blades that can cut through a human limb is either lying or hasn't heard of the katana.

To answer your question, no. The sabre is best used on horse back because the blade is heavy and not as fine as other swords. If I had to say which sword was "best" I'd say either a longsword or an infantry sword considering the no shield rule. If shields were allowed then it would be gladius all day.

How well does a long sword stack up against a rapier though, assuming equal wielder skill with their preferred weapons?

Would the rapier be forced to dodge most attacks rather than deflect or parry and counter?

>swrds
lmoa no sklil faggots

Attached: Skrub-B-Gone.jpg (454x679, 22K)

>When American Marines were fighting in the Pacific, they would always try to shoot down the Japanese soldiers with katana first, because of how effective of a weapon it was
Many a Sherman tank was destroyed by the katana. The blade would cut through the Sherman's armour like butter.

You know, when writing that, I forgot about the rapier. If the guy with the rapier knew what he was doing he would use his lighter weapon to press the attack. All things being equal, the guy with the lighter sword dictates the combat range.

>He's never seen a single japanese solider take down a U.S. plane with a well placed sword throw

Truth, if a katana wielder was clever he could split the tank shell in two, sending it into two surrounding tanks, as Shermans rarely ever worked alone.

This is a technique I've been working on. For now though I just love going to the local HEMA clubs with my bokken and breaking the pathetic HEMAfaggots' hands the minute they do their retarded halfswording or mordhau.

On a serious note though, OP, I'd just use whatever you enjoy and practice with the most. Although in general, longer one-handed weapons tend to be the best. Range is important in general since we're talking no shields.

Yes. t. historical fencer.

>For now though I just love going to the local HEMA clubs with my bokken and breaking the pathetic HEMAfaggots' hands the minute they do their retarded halfswording or mordhau
>breaking the pathetic HEMAfaggots' hands
Unimpressive. A true practitioner of the Shinobi ways would be able to cut a white piggies hands off from 20 feet away with a wind slash from a bokken.

I'm gonna need a little more detail, OP.

Attached: CONTEXT.png (711x626, 667K)

The best sword is a gun :^)

i only realized it was a fucking pasta when i was about 3/4 finished reading

Attached: 1556926175420.png (470x627, 545K)

The bayonet on the end of my loaded rifle.

There were lots of infantry sabres and rapiers aren't light in any way, not significantly lighter than a longsword that is wielded with two hands anyway.
Besides, no, the guy with the longer sword dictates the combat range, not weight, why would that be?

This makes me miss Rift. You could kill people with doots.

If you're not decimating hemafags by the club-full you're doing it wrong. I understand that their motivations for schlong and their grab attacks can be tough to deal with, but provided you're a true swordsman it shouldn't be a problem.
>Pic related

Attached: h922y4y0v3a21.png (795x768, 390K)

>thrust centric sabre
excuse me user but aren't all curved swords meant for cutting?

No, a basket-hilt rapier is.

Lurk moar newfag

If you're fighting one guy I agree. If there's a possibility of a brawl breaking out I'd rather having something like a sidesword that's still very thrust centric but also has more authority in the cut.

>sabre
>heavy

800g isn't heavy. Polish sabers ftw.