Hey Jow Forumsommandants

Hey Jow Forumsommandants.

I'm looking to buy my first gun and I'm torn.
I really want an M1 Garand, but I'm thinking maybe I should get a pistol instead.

Should I buy The M1, or go for pistol? And if pistol, what kind?

Attached: U.S.-Rifle-M1-Garand-Full.jpg (3000x1983, 1.09M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=byeMLdt2r-I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pistols are eternal, Garands are limited.
thecmp.org

Garands are pointless, just get an AR.

Just bee yourself. If you decide you want an M1 Garand, Google Civilian Marksmanship Program and get one from them.

Ill just leave it there... "ping"

Getting a handgun is an entirely different process in a lot of states. Picking up a long gun is as simple as a trip down to Walmart in most places, getting that pistol usually requires the government getting involved in some way.

Garand. I think the CMP will run out of surplus Garands in our lifetime (short of discovering more foreign stockpiles, that will probably be in shitty condition at best).

Spend the extra $100 and put down $750 for a Service Grade over a Field Grade, for the peace of mind of knowing you'll get a rifle in better condition.

Garand is love. Garand is life. You'll love it forever once you fire one

>Pistols are eternal, Garands are limited.
This x1000 user. There were about 5 million garands made, there aren't enough to go around.

My first gun was an M1 when I was 18, bought a field grade off the CMP for $650 after I saved enough money for it. They're fun to shoot but expensive to feed. I'd say its worth it if you have the money to shoot it and appreciate the history (also *ping* really never gets old), but if I went back, I would have invested into a nice AR instead. If you do go through with it though don't go cheap, my field grade ran a little more than 100 rounds before the barrel was shot out. At least spend the $750 on the service grade.

>milsurp shit as first gun
i want off this ride

Attached: tumblr_lo2xptMq4Z1qknh5so1_500.gif (500x375, 496K)

>i want off this ride
No one is forcing you to stay faggot

>first gun
Common sense dictates I MUST recommend you consider a .22 and what ranges are available near your house.
However, you could just as easily pick up an AR because 5.56 is always cheap. Dont do the garand, it's reeeeal tempting but full size rifle will ruin you.

WHY
NOT
BOTH?

Attached: WhyNotBoth.jpg (265x310, 19K)

>However, you could just as easily pick up an AR because 5.56 is always cheap.
Palmetto State Armory are selling build kits at $260 and "stealth" lowers with no aesthetic markings for $40.

For practical purposes, a pistol would be a better first gun. If you don't plan on carrying or using your gun for defensive purposes, though, go for the Garand. As other folks have pointed out, they're limited in quantity and may very well run out.

You can't have two first guns. Can you?

Attached: 1537248510457.jpg (250x239, 11K)

If the objective is personal protection then a pistol is far cheaper and more useful. There are a lot of good options out there, although I recommend a Glock 19, something like it, or at least something with a frame mounted safety (1911, CZ75, Taurus PT92) if you want an automatic pistol with a safety. It took me a long time to realize that DA/SA is a less than stellar setup unless you can carry cocked and locked, but that's my opinion.

If you want a revolver get a Ruger GP100, SP101 or Security Six if you can find one.

If you just really want an M1 because it's cool and you don't intend to use it for protection then get one from the CMP and get on it sooner rather than later. They are nearly double the cost anywhere else and supply is limited.

I've already trained with that, my dad has guns, but Im looking for my own

Garands are overrated.
>Heavy as fuck
>Manual of arms is fucking bizarre
>Smashes your fingers if you aren't familiar with it
>Chambered in a fudd round.
>8 round capacity
It's only popular because of muh Whirled Wars and Muh ping. They're objectively pretty dumb rifles. Get an M14 instead. At least it functions like a normal firearm instead of that autistic enbloc clip bullshit.

I'm almost 22 and have been in the game since I was just 19.
The biggest problems with a gun like the Garand or any firearm that is either inherited, surplus, or has some serious value as a first firearm include the fact that there is no warranty, you can make first time mistakes with an irreplaceable antique, and the ammo cost for Garand-rated 30-06 is up to 65 cents per cartridge (about $325 per 500 rounds). It's much cheaper than hand loading, but you won't be doing that.
If you're 21, or have an adult friend, a Ruger Security 9 would be a far smarter choice. Has a warranty, cheap ammo, and can be used for personal protection inside and out of the home.
In three months time, pick up the M1. For a beginner, I recommend a Service grade rifle.

Attached: m1 3.jpg (720x960, 150K)

*much cheaper if handloading
for reference, a 22 lr costs 4-5 cents per round, a 9mm costs 16 cents per round, and 223 rem costs 25 cents per round

Oh okay, I'm the same way.
Go for the garand if you want but check for ranges nearby first

You can shoot modern.30-06 without issue if you just replace the gas regulator which is like a 15 dollar part.

OP even without that though, I think you'd be better served buying a Garand for your first gun. It sounds like you want more, so it's cooler to get something really special for your first piece. Since ii's your first one, you'll probably baby the shit out of it anyway.

If you buy them at the same time.

This guy has his shit together

Alternatively buy a new production M1 from Fulton armory.

ruger 10/22

Here is a (You) step your game up pal

kys

Are those reliable garands?

in wwii soldiers would throw empty garand clips to make the classic ping sound so that enemy japanese soldiers would stick their head out because they thought they heard their name only to be shot

One goes ping, the other does not.

I mean is this even a debate?

Lmao that's fucking stupid and you're gonna develop a fuck ton of bad habits because of it. Don't listen to the retards that need to validate themselves because they bought a nugget as a first rifle. Get a Glock 19 and use it for fun and as a carry piece. If you really want a rifle though, get a .22 rifle or an AR if you actually need to shoot something.

>youtube.com/watch?v=byeMLdt2r-I
>445,738

Attached: image.jpg (259x194, 14K)