Why is .22 a thing? Why not practice with just m193 and 9mm fmjs? Why not practice with actual rounds you would use...

Why is .22 a thing? Why not practice with just m193 and 9mm fmjs? Why not practice with actual rounds you would use. Is it because of poverty?

Attached: F0DA392C-4788-4982-B157-02A113F851F2.jpg (1024x679, 180K)

Other urls found in this thread:

silencershop.com/blog/post/22-suppressor-test-results
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Tell us which one was invented first and has a large amount of industrial inertia thanks to its age user.

Because you touch yourself.

I have this exact rifle. What a pile of trash.
>even when dialed in for that ammo, highly unreliable
>awful trigger, no reset
>magazine release doesn't work and mags are just pulled out
>impossible to clean fully, bolt hold open doesn't work
only good for running CCI Quiets

I honestly don't understand it and doubt I ever will.
A bb gun would be more fun because then I could just sit in my backyard and shoot cans off a fence.

.22 AR-style rifles are retarded. But .22 pistols and bolt action rifles are fun as hell to plink with. Me and my dad keep a .22 rifle on standby in our redneck outside "home theater" to put down critters with. Does the job without being loud enough to get the cops called on us.

Combination of saving money and not dealing with as much recoil. Good for practicing proper form for long periods of time without hurting your wallet or shoulder. It's also good for training newer or younger shooters about proper technique.

easier to work on form/technique with lower recoil. inb4 some hurr durr shit about being too weak or some other bait.
and poverty.

t. .22lr rangefag

My .22lr with Aguila Colibri is quieter than my pellet gun.

Also I shoot it in the back yard in a residential neighborhood almost every day. Never bothers a soul, except for house sparrows, starlings and squirrels that test my patience with the bird feeder.

M&P 15-22?
Was thinking of getting one for plinking.

>practicing proper form/technique
>lower recoil
Then airshit must be an excellent place to start, huh? No, getting gud begins with zeroing your cheapo PSAR15, an indoor range and 50/200 yard target (placed 10 yards away) serve as your training wheels. "Practicing proper form and technique" is learning how to hit anything without being seated. If you struggle to progress beyond this point and are not wrong handed or a woman, then there simply is no hope for you

>.22 revolvers and semi-autos for cheap fundementals practice for handguns
>~20 CPR for decent factory 9mm but closer to 4 CPR for decent factory .22 lr
>Ruger 10-22s and Mark IVs are great for plinking

Some of us are beginners and want to be able to do a 500 round range day on the cheap with essentially zero recoil.

a .22lr AR-15 is full fucking retarded though.

>you MUST spend four times as much on 9mm or five times as much on .223 in order to get good at shooting fundementals

If you practice sight picture and trigger control on a 10/22 or .22 lr SP101, those skills will translate to other weapons you use. You've gotta practice with what you use, but insisting on training with more expensive ammo means you're just burning money learning skills better taught elsewhere.

The 15-22 is great. They issued a recall for unwanted firing when the action is worked, though, so make sure you're getting a rifle that's had the fix.

Anyone telling you .22 isn't good for practicing on the cheap is a lying pansy who probably doesn't dry-fire or practice anything without live ammunition.

Yeah I guess compensators, brakes, and suppressors ruin shooting skills too, right guys?

Attached: 1483658821810.jpg (420x443, 33K)

Yeah, that makes sense. I'll admit it's the most practical way to get the ball rolling, because we have no way to travel back in time to rectify our costly mistakes and imparting our wisdom onto the next generation of shooters would be as fruitful as Lance Armstrong instructing a six-year-old

You already have to be skilled and knowledgeable in the first place to recognize whether comps/brakes are useful or not. You have to know what you're doing to use a suppressor competently (POI shift)

No way he's describing a 15-22, I've only heard good things and shot them with no issues.

My little brother has one and when I'm around we always mag dump in the forest with the cheapest thunderbolt trash ammo, no malfunctions, always accurate.

Thanks for the input. They’re on sale so I’ll be getting one soon. Thanks anons!

I dislike .22 also but recognize a few uses:
- no need for ear protection
- practicing as a noob
- makes that cool ricochet sound if you hit metal practice targets

fpbp

>no need for hearing protection

Attached: DF454C6A-1308-4275-9FAB-6E5C18FB1614.png (472x565, 18K)

Airsoft projectiles do not deliver translatable ballistic behavior. .22 long does.

All shooters should start on a .22 plinker to become comfortable with the operation and practice with a firearm. It's cheap, it's light, it won't disturb a new shooter or promote bad handling, It'll get you used to irons.

Once you've become proficient with your .22 LR, you should move up to practicing with the weapons you intend to use, but the .22 long is the metaphorical 250cc flat-4 motorcycle to train good habits before moving onto liter bikes.

Realistically, you should start on 9mm. I started on .40 and my shooting is just fine.

>another daddy's money thread trying to """"""""flex on the poorfags"""""""

I take my .22LR AR every time I go to shoot and I love it. It's just a fun plinking gun. Dirt cheap to shoot. Also the cheap ass barrel nut cracked so it's a dedicated .22LR only now.

.22lr out of a 16"+ barrel hits 90db on a bad day. It's not exactly safe in the shorter AR barrels, it would take a TON of shooting for it to have any noticeable effect.

Owning more than a .22 is not flexing.

I would just get an air rifle just by how dumb your Reddit spacing is. .22lr is so flat it is not even that hard to correct at a distance, in fact it barely has drop. Now I can understand ballistics being a thing for .22lr, but lets face it ballistics in most bullets do not change when the range is 50 or 25 yards. A .22lr realistically has the same recoil as a CO2 gas pellet gun.

>250cc flat-4 motorcycle

That has no power. It might as well be Goped scooter. A 100cc single has more power and speed then that and it is not even street legal. That is why nobody makes those engines that small.

My advice is you should quit being a keyboard warrior and actually apply yourself.

>highly unreliable

Let me guess, you shot it without reading the manual like the mouth breathing retard that you are?

>90db

No it isnt its much louder.

9 mm is more expensive both per round and for platforms to shoot. They have comparable range and accuracy but when you're starting with a beginner, the most important thing past safety is practice, and you can simply practice fundamentals for a great deal longer using .22 LR.

You can probably start any shooter on a pistol caliber carbine as well, but that's a significantly more specific and niche weapon to hang onto compared to having a fun little 10/22 for critters, punching paper and general fun.

The fact of the matter is you need to be literally invalid to be unable to fire a .22 rifle. It's the baseline for "This is a firearm" in my opinion, and therefore makes the perfect trainer: No flinch, no jerk, easy to identify any pulls.

Oh, Yeah. And a 0.03 cent CPR.

For the same price as the cheapest pistol carbine, you can pick up the basic 10/22 and three thousand rounds and change

Your next 100 bucks covers about 600 rounds of 9mm, which puts you against six thousand rounds on that 10/22

Frankly, it's cheaper to buy the .22, learn on it and trade it out for something else than it would be to buy your target gun in the first place, since you're still firing 5:1 price ratio on the worst of days.

>He doesn't ride
>He doesn't shoot either
>Thinks he's getting more than 40 mph out of a mini-bike.

Look. I might be retarded, but I'm not "half the displacement is more powerful; my Mini that struggles to hit 40 is more of a bike than a 250r"

You know those things aren't street legal because they aren't powerful enough to keep up with traffic right?

In front of the barrel, yes. Non-pistol .22s are nearly hearing safe for the shooter because the blast is projected fairly far from the body.

Proofs? 90db is hearing safe by far if thats the case but I very much doubt it is. 90db is only harmful under very prolonged exposure which with guns is hard.

I have a fairly long .22 rifle, and the report I hear with my cheek to the stock is about as loud as a hearty clap.

.22lr is straight dogshit training wise for anything that isn't pure marksmanship.

Literally nothing translates over to the real deal. In which case .22lr AR's are dumb as shit. Its like trying to practice driving a race car in a honda civic.

Ears can deceive. I want to see measurement I dont think ant has been done though.

Just looked at a few more sources. .22lr is about 135db in front of the muzzle, meaning you would not have a good time shooting it indoors. The db levels from behind the muzzle ranges from 90-100.

Do you have the link

Because my FVSR .22lr with the can is stupid quiet ( with 40gr subsonics) and has killed more cats, coons, and possums than I can remember. I don't use a .22 to practice, but it would be effective if you had a reliable weapon that mimics the same weight and feel of your fighting weapon.. ( I do have the H&K 416D .22lr I shoot every once in a while when I need to take out a pack of dogs , it shoots great and I've had no issues with it.)

>Have had old ruger 10/22 from childhood laying around since forever
>Recently took ir out of closet and ran drills around my rural property
>Discovered to my surprise that years and years of childhood use of it had left me able to hit anything at all within 100 yards, and a head sized target at 200

I could plink someone in the eye while slowly moving within 300 feet.

I even managed to put a songbird out of the air with it.

It's complete lack of recoil lets it be used like a needle within pistol ranges.

>Is it because of poverty?
Yes OP we have to cull the poor.

In fact ide go as far as to say that within pistol range a .22 using good quality ammo could.be reliably used as an actual weapon.

It's not a toy.

Only downside is that it's surprisingly dirty.
You have to clean the damn gun alot.

Go away nogunz

Attached: 1551288484861.jpg (830x974, 170K)

>22lr is so flat it is not even that hard to correct at a distance, in fact it barely has drop.

Everyone point and laugh at this dumbfuck that has never shot .22s out past 25 yards.

Haaaaahaaaaaaahaaaaaaa

Attached: 1556313736655.jpg (956x856, 155K)

I regularly shoot .22 revolvers out to 200+ yards, the only issues I have is seeing the dirt poofs at that distance if the ground isnt dry.

>0.03 cent CPR

Attached: 1549138151724.png (1231x1426, 1.05M)

>this pic

Attached: 1581cedabf1fe1ebd03e5408c6c4330f_w200.gif (200x150, 123K)

I know this is just bait, but I'll bite.
.22lr is the oldest widely used rifle cartridge in the world. The round has many practical purposes. It is capable of taking down small to even medium sized game animals with correct shot placement while causing minimal damage to both the meat and the pelt. This is important for hunting, but also farm purposes. It is best to cause the least damage possible while slaughtering an animal. This, along with other reasons, led to the cartridge's widespread use during the 20th century. It's popularity persists because of its price, ease of use for youth, and its continued status as a capable varmint round. Plinking has also kept the .22 relevant. Not all shooting has to prepare you for SHTF or self defense situations. Some people just shoot for fun. .22 is perfect for that. For defense, obviously practicing with a .22 won't help a person as much as shooting 9mm. However, if SHTF really does happen, being handy and practiced with a .22 will be a very valuable survival tool.

.22LR as a beginner round is pseudo-Fuddlore. It's good for getting kids into shooting because it's retardly cheap and has good recoil properties for them. If you're a grown ass man with enough expendable income to get into guns though? Buy a fucking .223 rifle. It's only marginally more expensive to shoot and has the added benefit of actually being a valid combat caliber. There's no fucking reason to pick a .22 over a .223. You're probably just a poorfag with no impulse control. If you can afford a 10-22 or a 15-22, just save for an extra month and get a .223 AR.

.22LR can be a fun round to plink with or to introduce others to shooting without wasting your own ammo, but there is little other use. I own one solely for teaching others how to shoot and ocassionally ventilating vermin that .223 would be overkill for.

Buh muh skill translation!!!

lmao, imagine never shooting past 50 yards. Imagine having to shoot indoors. Imagine paying to use a range.

Stop liking what I don’t like: the post

Lol why would you waste about a quarter or even 20 cents every shot you take if your simply practicing basic marksmanship at short range?

Isn't 3,000 fps a little extreme for just punching holes in paper?

Why the fuck would you do that when 22lr is available and is 1/4 the cost?

Not even to mention the difference in noise between 556 and 22lr...if you have neighbors nearby that you don't want to annoy/piss off.

Sorry *you're*

You are an ignorant idiot of the highest magnitude.

silencershop.com/blog/post/22-suppressor-test-results

22lr starts around 140, suppressors take that down to around 117 at BEST.

Well, you do need to know how to drive first :p

WHAT?

Ive got a CZ 455 varmint and spent like 2-3 hours at the 100 yard range one afternoon and spent like $11 in ammo.

Attached: 20170526_151717.jpg (1511x2016, 533K)

Handgun squirrel hunting friend. Small game in general as well, plus it's cheap as hell for 1 box of 50 9mm I could buy 250-500 .22's

15/22 is a fine rifle. Stupid easy to break down and clean.
Got a bipod and 1-4 scope and a bunch of 25rd mags. You won’t regret.

To be a "master" at anything it takes thousands of hours of practice, I can practice much longer for cheaper with a .22 hell everytime I go to the range I'll dump 500 .22's down range and a mag or two for my 10mm handgun, and my rifle.

Of course the suppressor company is going to give you numbers like that when they're trying to sell you something. The values are obviously measured in front of the gun where the entire concussion is directed. Firing a gun outdoors is nowhere near as loud as being fired AT by a gun outdoors. This is why shooting indoors is louder than outdoors; not because the initial sound is echoed, but because the much louder sound from the muzzle is echoed.

Once you actually shoot a gun you’ll understand.

You’ve never shot a gun.

>bait

Ive never met a good shooter that didnt appreciate .22lr and that didnt shoot the shit out of .22s.

I used to think the same but for me It's being able to save on ammo and still train with an AR in 22lr and a Glock in 22lr. You can buy 1000 rounds of 22lr for nothing and enjoy shooting and doing drills all day. The only downside is weight and hardly any recoil.

>.22lr is straight dogshit training wise for anything that isn't pure marksmanship.
Von Richtofen credited his gunnery skills to strolling around his estate with a .22, hunting small game. So did Bolcke IIRC.

Attached: red baron.jpg (510x824, 43K)

Lol, k.

This is actual Fuddlore and retarded. "Dumping" a bunch of .22 downrange develops zero skill. Learning to actually hit targets in a number of differ positions, ranges, elevations, and weather conditions develops skill. Sure, you can learn to do that with .22, but what you learn with .22 does not translate well to non-intermediate cartridges. If you spend your "thousands of hours" plinking away with a 10-22 and then pick up a .300 Win Mag bolt action and try to shoot it the same way, you're going to get shit groupings if you're even on paper.

Basic principles of stance, trigger pull, proper target acquisition, etc. can be learned with any caliber. And SHOULD be learned with a caliber more versatile than .22LR as far as adults are concerned. Maybe that concept offends you because you're a seething poorfag, but you're objectively incorrect.

t. Learned to shoot at 12 with an SKS and 123 grain ammo

>dumping
I guess I should have used a different word but you would rather be a pedantic homosexual. What's your problem with .22 did it touch you when you were little? Enjoy your practice with hundreds of rounds a week while I can practice with thousands. Practicing with .22 out of a handgun lets me get much more trigger time than if I shot a 9 or 10mm and I can still shoot my 10mm to stay familiar with it. You sound like you're stupid and a fun guy to be around, do your friends abd family spend a lot of time with you?

Also:
-cheap
-fun
-great for kids and wammens

>why should you have cheap fun when you’re shooting and also get good practice on your fundamentals? Any gun that can’t immediately be used to LARPerate isn’t a real gun and has no use because cheap fun and introducing people to the sport isn’t valid because I’m a giant faggot who hates things other people like

Talk shit all you want but someone with a .22 and solid fundamentals could still kill you dead just like any other bullet while you jerk off about how useless it is.

Those are some cute insults, did your boyfriend help you come up with them? Did the two of you meet at a .22LR enthusiast's meet at the local gay club?

Maybe stop taking so much fucking offense and avoiding my points, you goddamn mongoloid. .22LR is a perfectly fine varmint caliber and it's fun to plink with, but as a legitimate training tool it's best used with children. That was my fucking point to begin with, retard. Once again, with emphasis:

>If you're a grown ass man with enough expendable income to get into guns though? Buy a fucking .223 rifle. It's only marginally more expensive to shoot and has the added benefit of actually being a valid combat caliber.

My argument isn't that .22LR is a useless caliber, it's that an actual enthusiast will benefit more from practicing with a proper intermediate caliber. I own a .22 rifle. I enjoy shooting with my .22 rifle. I DON'T agree with you fucking morons because I've seen the bad habits plinkers develop cause issues when they try to shoot larger caliber guns.

Either dispute what I'm saying with empirical data or cope elsewhere.

Reddit, git.

.22 is a solid training platform, especially with handgun. You are thick in the head. Sure you should practice with intermediate calibers if you can but I'd put my money on the guy with a .22 rifle who shoots 20x more bullets over the guy with an intermediate caliber rifle to succesfully hunt and even shoot a two legged critter. You just can't get the same practice for the money with any other round than a .22 and it will become muscle memory and second nature after you practice with it. Where the hell do you lice where it's one or the other anyways?! Most people can have a .22 and other guns so why not have it around to practice. You are a dummy

Same. I'm glad my dad has a 10/22 so I didn't fall for the meme. Easily the most boring gun in existence, I have more fun with my red ryder bb gun.

Do you disagree?

>why is .22 a thing?
Children, women, fags, and of course, the eternal poorfag

I own a few rifles, .223, 7.62x39, .270, a 10mm handgun, a 9mm carry piece and a .22 handgun. Everytime I shoot I'll put iver 200 rounds through the .22 because it's fun and helps drill the fundamentals and things like point shooting while having a minimal impact on my wallet so I can feed my other guns.

>he doesn't shoot
>his round count is under 500,000 bullets

Thread is over. Everything that can be said has been said.

My main focus is practical shooting competition. USPSA, 3 gun, IDPA, Steel Challenge, ICORE, GSSF, 2 gun, practical shotgun, whatever the flavor of the weekend is.

.22lr literally offers me nothing in way of training. Anyone can put a hole on paper. Doing it on the clock, under stress, in a dynamic environment, while moving in an efficient manner and managing recoil is a different story.

go shoot a SA .22 revolver and tell me its not awesome.

protip: it is a lot of fun

It's a Colt/Umarex M4-22. No, they are not reliable period.

Because the guns are cheap, the ammo's cheap, it has been around forever, and it closes the power gap between airguns and "real" guns.
>muh poverty
Spending more to stroke your e-peen is not an argument.
brb crashing this shit thread with no survivors

Attached: based matthew.jpg (700x593, 91K)

>MEH I dont like fun!
>MEH I dont like people doing things I dont like!
>MEH I hate everything that isnt cool and what I say is cool is whats cool!
>MEHH

Okay homie, let me know how well you fare when some 50 year old boomer plugs you in the forehead with a .22 and you drop dead

Nah; .22 is so slow that even firing it out to 100 yards (which isn't really far for a .22); I can see the bullets arc down and hit steel through a scope.

It's still a fine cartridge for practice - even precision shooters will build trainers around it to roughly simulate shooting larger rifles at longer ranges.

Not everyone is limited to shooting paper and imaginary criminals. If you're shooting small game, especially things like sage rats where you might be shooting hundreds, .22 is a great round. .17 HMR, too. But yeah. a .22 AR is for fucking faggots.

I feel like I was drunk and made this exact post, but I didn't. My thoughts exactly, although the 10/22 has gifted me a bunch of rabbit meat.

someone posted about something they dont like because "poor"?
I didnt realize there was two /arg/'s up

ever taken a .22LR round in your skull, heart, lungs or through your eye socket?

Yeah, even a tiny ammo can drop you. Git gud at shooting before blaming ammo.

>Prove my anecdotes wrong with empirical evidence, retards!

believe it or not, sometimes it can be for fun
in asking for a rebuttal, you answered your own question

Nigger I could merc you with a .22 under 50 yards ,don't piss on the all American .22lr round of the common man the round most of us (non faggots like yourself ) grew up using. Sure the .223/5.56 is good but don't discount the .22lr

Because if you want to learn to shoot well, then, like working out, lots of correctly executed repetitions are more beneficial than less with a heavier weight or calibre.

.22LR lets you do a number of things:

>Shoot at ranges that are not suitable for higher calibres that can at times be found in inner cities or smaller towns
>Provide cost effective practice at a low CPR while letting you work on sight alignment, grip, trigger control, without the distraction of recoil
>Provide more feedback than dry firing a centerfire
>Allow a new, or younger or slighter of frame shooter, to shoot a lot in one session without discomfort from a heavier round
>Shoot a lot in areas where you might have enough land to shoot at home, but still have neighbors nearby that will lose patience with persistent and constant gunfire

Most importantly of all, dumping a fucktin of .22 is fun. That's not just important for when you feel like a cheap afternoon of plinking, it has one other devastating side-effect. The thing the anti-gunners fear most about shooting is that once you safely and comfortably introduce a newcomer to it, most people enjoy it. And once they start enjoying it, they start to fear guns less. And once they no longer fear guns and enjoy shooting, they're likely to go and buy one. If you're not taking friends, girlfriends, moms and sisters, and non-retarded work colleagues to the range and introducing them to guns that are fun, cheap and not scary, you're failing the rest of us, and doing the job of Shannon Watts for her.