M249

Used hard and put away wet, won't be long before it's officially too old and a replacement tender is put up.

What do you think of M249's service to USA?
Who do you think should replace M249?

Attached: FN-M249S-SP.png (1200x775, 82K)

We'd be better off with the Russian route like the RPK, which the marines are starting to adopt with the M27 (although it's still to be determined if it works with American doctrine). As far as I'm concerned, it fits better to have a dedicated stanag firer and just up the 240 GPMG count.

Seems like half the posts I see on here on the SAW are about how garbage they are to use.

They're beat to shit and the replacement parts are all non-FN lowest bidder garbage.

Former saw gunner here, it was a total piece of shit. Much rather use 240b or mk48.

this
a unit i was in had only beat to shit ones and they were universally terrible to use
a unit i later transferred into had all brand new from the factory of the latest and greatest and the frankenstein'd para/mk46 i was using was fucking tits and ran like butter

For all the weight and hassle may as well just have the M240B.

>rpk meta
No and fuck you
The marines are shrinking squads and adding weight. See how long that lasts. The new marine goal is to break every rifleman before 30 years old.

Also
>modern Russian infantry
Hahahahahaahaha

Try using big boy words.

Try articulating a counterargument

I seriously hope the 6.8 CT NGSAW is successfully developed and adopted.

>no and fuck you
>HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>try articulating a counterargument
Fucking really, guy?

I see that sentiment a lot.
Maybe the USA military should "level-up" the machine guns at every level
Squad level machine guns levelled up from 5.56mm to 7.62mm
Platoon level machine guns levelled up from 7.62mm to .338 Lapua

>ignoring the parts of his argument you didn't like because muh RPK
No, and fuck you :^)

The problem is old equipment. This isn't restricted to the 249s.

My m4, and most of the M4s I saw were beat to shit and the upper and lower receivers did not fit together as snugly as they should.

Meanwhile they kept forcing unwanted garbage gear on us.

>his
Reread my first post. It said press the 240 into the role, and fuck the standard service round in a belt fed. I infer that not only are you mentally impaired, but also incapable of basic literacy.

Yes his retard, you being a fucking loser doesn't stop when other people are looking at your retarded non logic

Attached: Screenshot_20190529-212026.png (720x1280, 112K)

I'm sure your investment defeats illiterate non-arguments.
>guess what, I can phonepost and get multiple IPs too

You didn't present an argument.

You might be able to get new IPs but you can't fake the clover UI (You) feature, fucknut.
>my entire argument is "lol just magfed lmg bro it'll be great"
No, and fuck you

Attached: Screenshot_20190529-212602.png (720x1280, 133K)

No, seriously. Are you illiterate?
>just up the 240 GPMG count

Fuck off.

Attached: 1547251189004.gif (300x225, 2.95M)

He didn't have to since he wasn't responding to one. There was no argument for going to a beefier mag fed platform other than "the RPK exists" And therefore the only """argument""" it deserves is the only argument it got

Nice quads
Please clean up your notification bar

>lol let's trade our effective gear for something with half the staying power, twice the weight, and a quarter of the effectiveness
Did you think that made you look better, retard?

No it's how I avoid updating my phone

Utilizing an assault rifle in the role of a support weapon at the squad level is hardly a novel concept.

Attached: 76f78c6252cd268d4c9473bfb56a1901.jpg (424x550, 29K)

So, you can't read, huh? The last 5 of your posts strawman that I said "remove all belt feds cuz muh rpk, instead of saying increase the role of the 240 GMPG (included in the first post).

Good show. Next time, when you're wrong, don't double down on being stupid.

Attached: 1548984728771.jpg (691x625, 236K)

>posts example of a literal who military's junk gun that doesn't have any real combat time
Loving
Everi
Laff

The RPK/M27 idea is a terrible one.

The manta is shoot, move, communicate. A squad with carbines can shoot and move well with supporting fire. Having every rifleman be each other's supporting fire limits your ability to do both.

A mix of optimized weapon systems is absolutely a better answer than trying to play the middle ground. It's up to the leaders to implement them properly.

The M27 system will be a heavy one. Soldiers are already over-encumbered. Besides, sustaining fire through a magazine fed system is just plain inefficient.

>The manta is shoot, move, communicate.
Steve Irwin never stood a chance.

It's also an often abandoned concept.

When the platoon level has you covered with heavier ordinance and firepower, the idea was that between that and calling in airpower and fire support, the individual infantryman can bridge the gap with a more precision rifle. It's to be demonstrated whether this doctrine has merit, but remember that subbing out the M249 does not sub out the role of the M240. Across the board, that would actually spread the load more over the squad since they can use the same magazine and don't need an assistant gunner humping belts.

The use of magazines limiting automatic fire can be somewhat offset with large capacity drum mags.

That still doesn't change how monumentally fucking stupid it is to remove your ability to shoot an additional 60+ times before having to reload your base of fire

How many are abandoned?

Attached: 02f140d7ece82c24aaac502c7fce50b3.jpg (1024x681, 126K)

The use of drums usually means more bulk and weight for the same amount of ammo.

/raises hand

I have often been told that the reason belt fed weapons with replaceable barrels kick ass is their sustained rate of fire; that they just keep going like the Energizer Bunny and keep the enemy's head down. Is there some new doctrine that briskly does away with all of this? Does it make any sense? Because carrying *less* firepower into battle frankly sounds like asking for trouble sooner or later.

The 249s we had that ran, ran like raped apes no matter what. Unfortunately, between 3 rcp platoons and a platoon of 12Ns, we had about 3 that functioned correctly, amd all the other ones were damn neqr single shot pieces of shit. One ran fine for maybe the first 40-50 rounds. Once the receiver started to heat up, it was a jamomatic that barely cycled back over the sear.

Replacement parts were shit, not that we got thay many.

None were terribly innacurate as far as mg's go.

We had 240bs that were beat to shit even worse, and ended up getting some 240Ls right before we deployed. For something a few pounds heavier, you got .30cal mg power, the short bbls the limas came with made them just as handy to maneuver as a 249. Ammo was heavier, so that sucked. But when dismounted, our guys carried a working 240L over nonfunctioning 249s

How many get used

How much do you think an individual squad element will be without a M240 where a M249 would be bridging that gap? The beaten zone of the SAW is roughly the same as an average grunt marksman on the DMR where they'd open up anyway.

Either way, we'll see. Different doctrine for different times, and for all we know the adoption could be in response to occupancy COIN or the big swaths in the mountains of Afghanistan.

/raises paw

I have often been told that the reason belt fed weapons with replaceable barrels kick ass is their sustained rate of fire; that they just keep going like the Energizer Bunny and keep the enemy's head down. Is there some new doctrine that briskly does away with all of this? Does it make any sense? Because carrying *less* firepower into battle frankly sounds like asking for trouble sooner or later.

Attached: enfield-l86-light-support-weapon-united-kingdom.jpg (800x550, 53K)

Like mentioned earlier, the doctrine is shoot, move, and communicate. That all happens at the same time. You can do significantly less of that at a whack if you're changing mags instead of using a belt properly. It has nothing to do with actually hitting your enemy, and if you suggest otherwise it'll only prove you have no idea what a SAW is used for. It's 110% about volume of fire

>unironically posting br*t shit
You're not actually serious right? I said get used, not sit in the sun for a couple years until the guy holding it bitches about imperialism online

The good news is that between all the M27s you can find one that works and make that your SAW.

>Is there some new doctrine that briskly does away with all of this?
Optics and better ammunition go a long way.

What happens when your lighter more agile squad with hotter loads and better optics gets stuck in with some dune coon behind a PKM, then?

Except when it's not a conventional force on force fight, like I demonstrated in the last sentence. Or they were just sick of non-functioning MGs like this guy says
Also you can't say that accurate DMR fire doesn't have a suppressive effect. It's not like the 240, M203, M2, or even Bradly Bush don't exist either when doing conventional patrol.

Attached: a3775343e55f109c0f613fa498fb0b1f.jpg (800x368, 42K)

>like I demonstrated
>I'm right because I said so
Ah you're one of those. Sorry I wasted my time, feel free to jump off a roof

>What do you think of M249's service to USA?
SAW = Shitty Ass Weapon
>Who do you think should replace M249?
Anyone that has one.

it's just the USMC fetishizing marksmanship again.

Out of curiousity, does that mean it ran flawlessly all the time? Seems like every video of the damn things is 10 shots, unjam, 10 shots, repeat

>level up

that's a level down nigger. 338 is double the weight of 762, which is over double the weight of 556.

QD barrels only matter for tripod-mounted crew-manned crewserves, which are also needed to link belts together instead of swapped nutsacks.

As a guy who carried it as a vic driver (yes, my vic leader was retarded) it fucking sucks. There's a reason the cadence is
Butter..butter..jam
Butter..butter..jam
Butter..butter..OH FUCK IT JAMMED

Yeah, having an actual discussion is hard, huh? Who the fuck am I kidding, this is Jow Forums and you've probably had your head smashed in a car door.

Instead of going full autismo over one word that rubbed you wrong, how about you weigh out the cost and benefits to occupational COIN rather than force-on-force assault, counter-ambush, or defense? Or the terrain advantages and disadvantages when working in a hilly environment like the mountains of Afghanistan.

Go on, instead of nitpicking one word, use your big boy brain to show me up. Fuck off, I'm out.

Quit being faggots and discuss the weapon

Muh-reen leadership unironically falls for their own propaganda

The user he's replying to has offered zero discussion, and shit posted every reply. But yeah, user should just ignore him since he's literally offered nothing worth a (You).

Considering the modern firefight is in a city against plain clothes insurgents there probably is some value in not dumping hundreds of rounds to keep one guy's head down.

>gets fucking rekt
>writes a book to explain how possibly maybe in just this one instance we wouldn't use a belt fed for what it's meant to do
C O P E
O P E
P E
E

We'll give machine gunners power armour so they can carry more ammo-unition

>he believes in hearts and minds
Yeah well I'm American and I believe in high explosives. Fuck the enemy and every one of their people for not rooting out their insurgents for us, who give a a fuck if they take some flak

Automatic fire increases the odds of hitting a runner at multi-block distances from 40% to 60% and that's with a plain old rifle.

GPMGs are the low collateral solution, moron. The alternative is armor and high explosives.

>and that's with a plain old rifle.

>Who do you think should replace M249?

Ultimax

muh constant recoil motherfuckers

Attached: main-qimg-988fb35eb46270fab58507ff143b3995.jpg (500x264, 30K)

Yes, a M4A1 and M16A4 specifically. Look up the Geissele HSS's origin to get the backstory and study in pdf.

GPMGs firing 6 to 9 round bursts do better.

KAC LMG. Ultimax for a new era.

It's alot of fun to shoot and very effective IF and only IF it works and you have a decent one. It sucks to carry and clear houses with, mostly because of the fuck heavy ammo load. They're a bitch to clean because of the tight receiver. But I still miss shooting them

Attached: 1557039629031.webm (720x404, 692K)

I would be genuinely excited if either of these was the case, but I sincerely doubt they will be adopted.

KAC LAMG should replace it. Grenadiers should also be outfitted with this.

Attached: PAW-20.jpg (474x325, 37K)

Or we could just bring back this thing, sans all of the modular weapons bullshit, with modern materials and modern coatings. The patents expired in the late 1970's. I bet a Stoner 63 with nickel-teflon internals would run like a champ.

Attached: Stoner63lmg.jpg (600x321, 60K)

It's way, way too heavy for what it is. The fact both the RPD and Stoner 63 are older and weigh less show how shit it is.

Bravo, that was based

funniest thing about Jow Forums regarding the m249 is i actually read a few spergs on here not liking the nut sacks as if theyve never had to lug around that piece of shit 200 round drum cracked and broken to shit.

WHAT HAVE YOU CONTRARIAN SPERGS HAVE AGAINST THE NUTSACK?

Are they still trying to replace the saw with an IAR and 12 mags?
Last I saw they were giving kids in SOI IARs for their hikes through Horno.

I never bothered with those. The 200 round drums work fine, plus you can just yeet them after you're done. I only used nutsacks when I had an off number of rounds.

I carried the nutsack in Iraq, especially for house clearing. Nothing worse than that drum falling off and the BZZZZZZTT as all the rounds strip out of it

>yeeting the drum

nigga thats the militarys properties and you better keep al your drums or get charged. you delta or something faggot?

I never deployed, but I've never had any issues with the 200 round drums. They might've improved the polymer since then.

Nigga that shit is dunnage. You don't need to hold onto it, it comes in every box of linked 5.56.

it's dunnage m8. also, good gunners stuff a sheet of MRE cardboard inside to prevent rattling.

you fucking rich boys.

The clips that snap it under used to come off easy mostly because of the weight, especially if you bumped something. The nutsack is easier in general for MOUT and tight situations, especially if you might be shooting standing or on the move. The drum, IMO is better suited for rural type engagements when you'd be in the prone and doing more sustained fire

He's probably talking about the 200 round drum nutsack, not the shit tier plastic box

nah nigga im talking about the plastic box that yo guarded with your life and your snco, officer, col didnt let you snap off the links either.

SAW ambush tip 2: dig a hole to put one drum in and feed it into the gun (while you're prone), hang the second drum on the gun. Go cyclic, then have a fresh belt for the clear through.

>yo nigga

Yo m8 if you can't tell we're in combat arms not logi

How do you carry the drums around with you? Is there a standard issue drum pouch...?

Yes there are. Typical rural loadout is one 200-rnd drum on each side of the PC, slick front, one on the gun (or a nutsack if expecting buildings or travelling by truck). Then another 200rnd in the 3 day.

This must be a difference in era. Now it's just considered dunnage.
Two 200 rounders on the FLC and the rest in an assault bag.

Prior service saw wielder here, favorite weapon to use. 10/10 not a single jam. take care of your gear, it takes care of you.

So you just shove them into your backpack. Does someone typically help you fetch them out, or does the process involve lots of squirming and grunting and swearing while you twist around and take your salt pack off and rummage around in it?

HOW OLD? did you ever use the tripod?

Very painfully. It's a heavy load out

>10/10 not a single jam.

Attached: doubt.png (492x280, 85K)

Would you personally rather save the weight and carry an automatic mag fed rifle like the Marines seem to be moving towards, or would you rather wince and put up with the weight so you could have the belt-fed removable barrel goodness? Why or why not?

>Does someone typically help you fetch them out
No, SAW gunners don't have assistant gunners. If your unit is really retarded, them make you carry around two spare barrels too. Being a SAW gunner is the shittiest job you can have as an infantryman imo. You have to carry extra weight, but have to be right behind guys with just M4s on assaults with your stupid bipod getting caught up on everything.

Lighter belt fed like the KAC LMG is the best imo. Lots of firepower, but not much more weight.

TWO SPARE s? what is this luxury?

>extra weight
>luxury