Looking at getting my first AR 15, have a few options not sure what to do. Gonna list from cheapest

Looking at getting my first AR 15, have a few options not sure what to do. Gonna list from cheapest.
S&W m&p sport 2 is about 530 bucks new.
I can buy the PSA parts in the picture for about 650 or so if I buy a rear sight as well.
Lastly, I can get a sig m400 new for 690 but it doesnt have a sight so probably gonna be around another 50 to 100 dollars on top.

Any ideas?

Attached: Screenshot_20190603-202354_Chrome.jpg (1080x2220, 434K)

Other urls found in this thread:

palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-chf-1-7-a2-mid-length-556-prem-classic-ar15-upper-assembly-no-bcg-ch.html
palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-carbine-length-chf-m4-5-56-1-7-rifle-kit.html
palmettostatearmory.com/psa-m4a1-stripped-lower-receiver.html
youtube.com/watch?v=jp9lbQiUn4s
midwayusa.com/product/1007351978/tapco-multi-tool-ar-15-mil-spec-steel
amazon.com/Wheeler-Engineering-Roll-Starter-Punch/dp/B01B3NWBVI
aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-stripped-lower-receiver-anodized-black-blem
cabelas.com/product/home/ar-sights/pc/105625080/c/112182480/magpul-mbus-sights/1318849.uts?slotId=2
palmettostatearmory.com/magpul-gen-2-mbus-front-rear-back-up-sight-set.html
amazon.com/Daniel-Defense-Fixed-Sight-Assembly/dp/B0046IJE90
military.com/kitup/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html
ar15discounts.com/products/anderson-oops-kit/
ar15goa.com/product/ar-15-oops-kit-by-anderson-mfg/
midwayusa.com/product/1003305931/cmmg-ar-15-lower-receiver-pin-and-spring-kit
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I would go with the Smith and Wesson
Then, you can decide on what you like and what you don’t to build a rifle from parts.
Just an opinion

Get this upper instead.
palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-chf-1-7-a2-mid-length-556-prem-classic-ar15-upper-assembly-no-bcg-ch.html
Mid length is better for a 16" than carbine.
Otherwise go for this
palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-carbine-length-chf-m4-5-56-1-7-rifle-kit.html
And buy a $50 PSA upper
palmettostatearmory.com/psa-m4a1-stripped-lower-receiver.html
and have your build for $450 total instead of $650. It's easy to put a lower together, just watch a few internet guides. Takes like an hour the first time you do it.

Anyway, I'd skip the Sig.

PSA vs M&P comes down to some brand loyalty and features. The PSAs here have a proper FN CHF chrome lined barrel. The first one I listed has a mid length gas system. The M&P has neither of these features.

Get a stropped lower and a psa build kit. I built my psa pistol for like 350

If I do choose these PSA parts, do I need any of the ar specialty wrenches or tools to add the bcg and charging handle to the upper? Or are those just kinda drop in pieces?

If you buy a complete upper and lower, you need zero tools.Those are drop in pieces. Charging handle slides in, bolt slides in. Push the take down pins in to mate the upper to the lower, bam your AR is assembled.

If you do build your lower, you need a castle nut wrench to put the buffer tube on, a roll pin starter would be a good idea for the roll pins, and they make a kinda gimmicky tool for the detents but you don't really need it if you're careful and have allen wrenches. Here's a video demonstration:
youtube.com/watch?v=jp9lbQiUn4s
That is literally the hardest part of building an AR lower right there.

So 399 plus 50 for the lower and add 40 or 50 for a rear sight so now were at around 500, not including tools i would need right? I definitely would like to buy all the tools too, just wondering if the $ justifies it.

I keep seeing things about how you need vice blocks and all kinds of wrenches that seem to add up and would push this way higher then the pre built stuff.

>I keep seeing things about how you need vice blocks
You don't. You definitely don't Maybe if you were putting in a barrel, but the lower doesn't need it.
> all kinds of wrenches
You just need the one.
midwayusa.com/product/1007351978/tapco-multi-tool-ar-15-mil-spec-steel
$12
amazon.com/Wheeler-Engineering-Roll-Starter-Punch/dp/B01B3NWBVI
$20

You got basic screwdrivers and allen wrenches already? that's all you'll need in addition to these two. If you decide to go for an Aero precision m4e1 lower, they eliminate the rollpins. Makes for an easier install.
aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-stripped-lower-receiver-anodized-black-blem
I have two of these blem lowers. Took a while to even find the blemishes, they're very minor.

Protip:you don't need a rubber mallet or nylon hammer. Normal hammer, layer duct tape pieces over the striking surface. Now it won't mar your AR if you have to use a little force on the trigger pins.

Awesome, really appreciate all your help!

Looking for a rear sight for the upper you recommended, cabelas.com/product/home/ar-sights/pc/105625080/c/112182480/magpul-mbus-sights/1318849.uts?slotId=2

Will this fit? Is this gonna be my best deal? Thanks.

No problem. Last pieces of advice: Stake your castle nut. Watch a video on how to do it, takes like 5 minutes. You might need to buy a punch if you don't have one or have a screwdriver you don't mind fucking up a little. A whole set of punches is like $10.

If this is the first AR you've really handled, when you get it you'll probably try to put it on safe and it won't work. That's normal. The AR safety cannot be engaged unless the hammer is cocked.

Don't install your trigger disconnector spring upside down or things will get fucky. Bigger end goes down.

They sell AR15 'oops' kits for all the small springs and shit you're liable to potentially lose. They're like $5. Whether you decide to build or buy, get one. One day, now or a decade from now, it will pay for itself when you forget that part has a spring tension to it and now the spring is across the house where you'll never find it.

Get the one from PSA. It's both front and rear, sell or give away the front I guess. It's $50 with their code, MBUSSET palmettostatearmory.com/magpul-gen-2-mbus-front-rear-back-up-sight-set.html
The discount doesn't show up until you add it to cart and apply the coupon. Yes, it will fit.

If you're going to just be using iron sights and have no intention to get a red dot or anything, I'd suggest going for a fixed sight. The Daniel Defense one is good.
amazon.com/Daniel-Defense-Fixed-Sight-Assembly/dp/B0046IJE90

What is the difference between the fixed and the pop ups? Are they just secured differently and the fixed holds better zero? Really not sure what I wana do with it Haha I've never even shot one. I got a few other guns but nothing like this. Seems like the fixed would be better? When adding a scope or optic how hard is it to remove the front sight? I see some sold optic ready without the sight

BASED
FUCKING
POSTER

just bought that MBUS set, awesome fucking price

You don't really need to do that to use optics. Look at any picture of a military rifle with an ACOG on it, they still have their front sight post. (unless it's a coolguy with a sopmod rifle)

Removing the front sight is kinda involved, as it is also your gas block. You'd need a new low profile gas block as well as a freefloat handguard.

Attached: acog.jpg (300x265, 69K)

M&Ps are cool

Attached: Urmomagey2.jpg (2042x3629, 3.07M)

>What is the difference between the fixed and the pop ups?
As for that, well one folds down and one doesn't. MBUS retain zero very well
military.com/kitup/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html
But some people feel they are too fragile due to being plastic. Up to you. I personally haven't broken one, but mine are generally folded down as I use red dots or other optics on all my ARs

>Are they just secured differently and the fixed holds better zero?
Pretty much it's just that one flips up and one doesn't. They both just go on your rail, no difference in how secure they are.

There have been two reasonable choices for babbies first AR-15 on the market for the last 4-5yrs more or less, nothing much has changed. Either pick up a "just as good" grade PSA build for 400-500 on sale or save up a couple hundred extra and buy a BCM upper to slap on a "whatever brand is cheapest" lower. On the one hand PSA is usually fine these days when they aren't losing peoples CC info and you get to save aprx 200 bucks with them, OTOH BCM has been reliably putting out "trust your life with it" grade rifles and uppers since before PSA was a thing and has been considered the best bang for your buck on the market for about as long(general market consensus). IMO which makes more sense depends on what you want to use it for, but considering the price difference is about a case of ammo(when comparing similar features), i have a hard time justifying PSA unless they have a particular configuration i want.

Does that look like a toy intentionally?

You don't need speciality tools at all. I did my first build kit with a pipe wrench and electrical tape for the castle nut. There too pins were large pliers, screwdrivers and a hammer. With more electrical tape.

Electrical tape is magical.

Black is scary and Duracoat FDE looks better for the tabletop review.

That's just what magpul furniture does to a gun. Magpul furniture is fine practically speaking, but aesthetically it's probably one of my last picks.

Dpms

Is this the "oops kit" you were referring too?

Attached: Screenshot_20190603-222959_Chrome.jpg (1080x2220, 421K)

nah

ar15discounts.com/products/anderson-oops-kit/

oh, that's sold out.
ar15goa.com/product/ar-15-oops-kit-by-anderson-mfg/

Or this one
midwayusa.com/product/1003305931/cmmg-ar-15-lower-receiver-pin-and-spring-kit

Midway has better shipping times than a lot of companies. Unfortunate thing about buying gun parts is there's no fucking Amazon to send you your shit with free prime 2 day delivery.

Is this the same aero precision lower as you recommended? This shop is local and this is one of the better prices.

Attached: Screenshot_20190603-225241_Chrome.jpg (1080x2220, 623K)

Nope, same brand but that's a standard lower. Still good, but you'll need roll pins for it. This is what it looks like. Solid trigger guard eliminating the rollpins there. The bolt catch rollpin is replaced with a screw (that the lower comes with)

Attached: aero m4e1.jpg (1000x630, 38K)

So that one online is 70 plus shipping plus transfer fee, think it would be worth it? Vs the ones with the pins you are talking about? I went ahead with the parts kit gun you recommended, I got the oops kit too just looking for the lower now. The one I linked was 70 alone... the have one on PSA that's 29... plus 9 ship and the same 35 xfer so about the same.

Attached: hxccaefzp7v21.jpg (1242x839, 74K)

So if that wasn't clear, the online one you linked is $70 or so plus shipping and xfer fee $35 so if I had to guess around $120 vs just buying the one I linked instore for 70 bucks.

Nah, fuck that get the cheaper one in store, skip the shipping and transfer and all that bs

That's what I was leaning towards but at the same time, most of my projects I seem to break something before I learn Haha. So sometimes it's nice to skip a step if ya know what I mean.
Well got a ton of shit heading this way, ima pick up the lower tomorrow. Got the two tools you recommended so I should be set. Really appreciate all your help bro.

No problem bro. Best part about building your first AR is you know how every part goes together and what interacts with what. If you have a malfunction or something isn't working quite right, you have an idea of where to start looking.