Levergats Thread

ITT shoulders are for pussies
been thinking of wrangling one a' these

Attached: 1895cb.jpg (275x183, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/B8-L3PMtID0
youtu.be/aRy5z_k7tGc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They're not that hard on your shoulder really.

What caliber?

45-70 and up my man

Attached: why you should hold your rifle correctly.gif (400x225, 1.36M)

Do yourself a favor and get a Henry in 3030.

Get a marlin in 4570.

Trust me

Actually got this guy today, really enjoyed shooting it

Attached: 20190609_144610.jpg (3264x2448, 2.55M)

i culd only get one if i had a matching horse

I can never find a Henry in 3030. Where can I find one?

anybody got opinions on a Marlin 1894 in .357?

I hope this theead goes on. I just got a 94 in 30.30, its abot 40 years old but it looks like it was cared for good. Im thinking of gaying it up with a sling swivel.
Im taking her out next weekend. Can't wait.

Winchester>>>>>>>>Henry

>tfw going to buy an Uberti 1866 but Washington had to go and pass some dumb law so I'm stuck buying semi-auto rifles

Attached: sad cake.jpg (375x336, 54K)

Own both the 1895 45 70 marlin and the stainless steel 30 30 version. Stick with the 45 70. In my opinion the 30 30 is heavily just for memes it permormes hardly better than common calibers beyond .2 and 3030 isnt cheap to buy unless you reload.

Attached: 20190516_204427.jpg (4032x1960, 3.18M)

bump

Attached: leversafetydelete.jpg (2000x1125, 265K)

Got a Rossi in .357, as far as the caliber, great. As far as the Marlin, we talking new or used?

youtu.be/B8-L3PMtID0

Got a 99c in .243. I'm hoping to get one of the loading gate henrys later this year.

Can lever action guns be used as sniper rifles?

My 1953 336 is my baby. 50s Marlin>Henry and easier to take apart than a Winchester

Maybe a Savage 99, Henry Long Range, or a Browning BLR. Winchesters and Marlins can't really use spitzer bullets.

>shoulders are for pussies?

I don’t think I have ever shot a long-gun that has hurt my shoulder. Meme-guns aside.

Killed my black bear with .30-30 just fine. Caliber has taken more deer than anyone can count. I'd like a 336 in .35 Remington though.
Sterling pls

Come shoot my Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington.

Well you clearly haven't tried hard user.

>Old cartridge X has killed more Y's than anyone can count
While I don't debate the effectiveness of cartridges like 30-30 or 30-06, I really don't see the sense in arguments like this. There's nothing wrong with liking anachronistic calibers, but certainly modern alternatives would be a better option if all youre talking about is practicality

???

>35 remington hurts your shoulder
This is what happens when you let them put birth control in the water supply.

sup beetches

Attached: 20190322_160009.jpg (2560x1440, 997K)

I wanted to get levercat instead of shotgun, what are essential tips on maintenance to avoid rust and other problems, also which one has usable sights and not just notches and shit. I have very limited knowledge but i would still like to get one (there are also japanese on the market here)...

Just got this thing as a present to myself

Attached: IMG_20190607_151946_368.jpg (1280x720, 282K)

Easy to reload (straight walled) can be found at every single gun store and ammo shelf in this country, always round nose (safe in tubes w/o the hornady case length fuckery), not expensive (can be found cheap, I plink with it), can be loaded up hot enough for bigger animals (my HSM bear rounds). It's the deer round for a while yet, get over it.

just got my grandpas 20" model 94, it's from the late 60s and has never been fired, what do you guys think it's worth?

Being straight walled doesn't really help with reloading unless you have a shit press or something I guess. Also spitzer bullets detonating in tube mags is absolute bullshit. .308 is just as ubiquitous

>.308
Shot out of what? Cheap bolt guns are shitty. AR 10s are expensive and fucky, other hunting semis are collectable and can get expensive. Battle rifles are a pricey meme.
Despite your feelings on pointy-bois in tubes, that's not happening anytime soon.
Very high quality old lever guns in .30-30 can still be had for reasonable prices since they made so damned many, as such, the cartridge remains relevant and not an anachronism. I'm not even claiming that it is a superior round btw.

>cheap bolt guns are shitty
Nigger, check your bias at the door. Although you're of course right about the spitzers in tube mags not happening. Although it's crazy to think that myth is true, no manufacturer is going to risk it. If not for the potential liability, for the lack of sales they would get from people believing it. Plenty of people still believe it'll blow up in your face. Anyway, my intent wasn't to argue that 30-30 was a bad round or anything... Simply that touting it as the preeminent deer hunting round for REASONS was just blind fanboyism. Hell, an sks would work as well as a lever gun in 30-30 at comparable ranges.

>sks would work as well as a lever gun in 30-30
>comparing 7.62x39mm to 7.62x51mmR
Big difference, you have to eat my ass and fuck off now

Marlin 336cs

Attached: 20190606_190632.jpg (1343x1007, 130K)

>THICC LOOP

Yeehaw, motherfucker

I have one. I bought it new last fall. My favorite rifle honestly. Fit and finish is perfect.

Attached: 20181220_225106.jpg (3024x4032, 2.99M)

Uberti?

30-30 is perfect for white tails

Ballistically 7.62x39 and 30-30 are extremely close

That looks preposterously painful. I'm glad my dad taught me how to shoot guns properly.

>Nigger, biases, bolty bois
Poor fit and finish, slow follow up shots, no irons, cheap scopes and rings that will want replaced for anyone serious
>Simply that touting it as the preeminent deer hunting round for REASONS
I gave you ample reasons why the 30-30 Win is alive, well and perfectly viable for its intended use. Sorry Uncle Denny diddled you at deer camp or something, dude.

Same

Attached: 1550078563396.gif (280x280, 799K)

Those are all matters of opinion. It's no secret most people's hunting rifles are bolt action, and a lot of people go for the cheaper ones (especially on this site). You have a clear and obvious bias toward lever actions in 30-30, probably because that's what your toofless pa' taught you to hunt on. It's acceptable. It's not the greatest

I thought the gif was stretching for a moment

>cheap bolts move slow
>cheap scopes are cheap
>30-30 Win kills deer
>30-30 Win is everywhere ammo is sold
>semi .308s are expensive or fucky
>rifles made in the 1950s were well made and are values due to how many were made and the age of their owners
These are facts.

Like to find one of these.
youtu.be/aRy5z_k7tGc

Attached: RugerNo1.jpg (720x346, 34K)

How did they ban lever actions but not semi autos?

>cheap bolts are slow
This is opinion, not fact
>cheap scopes are cheap
This isn't a matter of optics, idk why you brought that up
>30-30 is everywhere ammo is sold
.308 is everywhere ammo is sold and is infintely more useful
>rifles made in the 1950's...
What does this have to do with the topic at hand?

Idk what he's talking about, but lever actions are not banned in Washington state

it's even got a stylish little earring on it

If the bolt is not fit so well it moves less smoothly. Axis bolts are clunky. I own one in .308.
You can't shoot a cheap bolt without a scope as they don't put irons on them.
Never once did I argue that .308 was inferior.
Rifles made in the 50s were manufactured at a level of quality that will never be seen again in consumer grade new production, but are currently available second hand at the same price point.

If you're basing your opinion of affordable bolt actions off of the Savage axis alone, it's no wonder you have a grudge against them. There are plenty of better options for 700 or less. There are options with irons, but it doesn't really matter because spending another 300 on a scope will get you something good for hunting ranges and alittle extra precision than irons (especially those heinous buckhorn sights most levers come with) could give you. Older firearms are generally better quality than (cheap) new production, but I don't see what that has to do with anything.

If you cannot see why vintage $300-400 336s and 94s abounding make .30-30 Win relevant today, then I cannot possibly help you. Especially when your suggestions just to get into middling tier quality .308 are over twice the price plus a fucking $300 scope. Sorry there wasn't anyone around to teach you how to use a semi buckhorn, a lot of people have trouble with them today.

darn right

Attached: sul_matuul.png (600x1000, 1012K)

>he's never shouldered a long-recoil rifle

Attached: laughing edoops.jpg (652x629, 139K)

They about to make you jump through more hoops to buy semi-auto rifles in Washington, hence the buying spree. If it wasn't about to become more difficult to buy semi-autos, I probably would have bought a levergun instead.

Any love for the Savage 99 out there?

This is my 1916-vintage takedown in .30-30 undergoing restoration

Attached: 1899left.jpg (1019x692, 86K)

Ooo, user... I hate to tell you this, but it can't be restored...I'll take it off your hands.

Unfortunately 65-70 year makes of model 94s ain't that highly sought after because that's the shittiest casting that winchester ever did. Their quality got a bit better in the 70s so those are a bit more valuable and look less like dogshit. Honestly though it's probably still a good shooter if he took care of it despite never using it. I'd keep it and use it if I were you user. I'm eternally assblasted that I never got to shoot my grampas winchester model 64, because one of the scummy relatives pawned it off after he died before I got into guns

He's saying that he wanted to dropped the money for an 1866 but now cause of leftist fuckery he needs to buy more ARs before WA bans them.

>ARs

ARs will be the easiest semi-auto to get here because receivers don't count.

I have one. Won't feed .38 for some reason, guessing because of the OAL of the cartridge is short. Besides that it shoots great, is alot of fun, and ballistics are nasty for a .357

Its been restored, need to get pics, the downside is the threads are a bit worn so its got a big headspace.

The kino 99 is a pre-mil in .308 Winchester. All the goodness of the early 99s in a common military caliber.

Attached: 1899rearsighttop.jpg (1011x383, 66K)

Patently false, 30-30 is fairly affordable but 45-70 costs $40-50 per 20 round box. You really need to reload 45-70 and fortunately it's one of the easier cartridges to reload.

Go with .44 mag to take better advantage of it being a long-gun. Will still be inferior to .30-30, but sufficient to drop deer, hogs, and black bear out to about 100 yards.

A 99c in .243 sounds very handy.

My Henry Long Ranger in .308 is sub-moa with the right ammo.

That's because both the Long Ranger and the BLR use an AR-style multi-lug rotating bolt. Unless they somehow fuck up the barrel harmonics, it's likely to be an accurate gun.

My 45-70

Attached: 20190529_002704.jpg (4032x3024, 2.89M)

Idk user, it's not like faster moving lead makes that much of a diference once you reach an objective goal of say, killing the dear.
Im not saying that a 55grain .22 HP moving retarded fast is not as good as a 170 grain soft point .30 moving stupid fast. But a dear can only get dead, not deader or deadest. So as long as it accomplishes the goal its good in my book.
Its like buying a laser guided adjustable meme skill saw to build a bird house. A hand saw will get it built good enough.

BASED safety delete

Attached: 1895_brass_follower.jpg (2000x1125, 239K)

Nope, modern Winchester made by Miroku. It's a fantastic rifle.

Lever action nugs reporting in

Attached: 1529.jpg (2356x1767, 776K)

What is it about the safety that makes people so interested in removing them? Practically ever site that offers any kind of aftermarket parts for marlins have a safety delete

It's not currently at the top of my list, but I'm planning on getting a Marlin 1894 CSBL at some point in the next year or so.

Because it's redundant and isn't part of the original design(s). The safety is the half cock notch.

Functionally, the crossbolt is in a shit spot, and it's the worst offender of all time for forgetting to put it off/on.

Just build the muscle memory around hammer control. Then as you get more/different leverguns you manipulate them all the same way.

I have never felt the need for a safety on a manual action with an exposed hammer. Why would you?

Anyone shoot .405 Winchester?

I have an unfortunate attraction with dying meme rounds and this one has caught my attention.

Attached: 405-winchester-Rhinoceros.jpg (640x600, 171K)

Did anyone make a levergat for JUST .38 special?

Probably new. Just an idea I've been kicking around.

no but I want a win 1895 chambered in it

Uberti's Winchester 1866 repro's can only shoot .38spc afaik.

Well yes, I like having a safety on my bolt rifle because I like to carry it through the woods slung with a round in the chamber. But that's not why I asked. I don't care to have a safety on my 1895, I was just curious why people were going out of their way to remove them. I figured it was simply aesthetic but didn't know if there was a known issue with them breaking and jamming the hammer or something

They are kinda quirky but they do make my peepee hard. I handled one and would buy one if not for straight wall cartridge hunting law in my state.

Gentlemen.

*tips safari helmet*

Attached: 4570.jpg (1000x563, 105K)

I want a marlin trapper 45-70 with a threaded barrel for a suppressor

Attached: F356B085-0B01-4DE5-BFCF-BA1039C0587E.jpg (1200x450, 135K)

I want Marlin to release a Dark Series for the 1894.

Some were made in .375 Winchester. Good luck finding one.

Attached: index.jpg (267x189, 9K)

How do you like the Rossi? Price point is good but I’m wondering if it’s Brazilian crap

Attached: F9DC5B73-DA3B-4DDA-B6FC-B66013792093.jpg (1024x614, 68K)

I'm thinking of getting a Henry steel carbine in .357

Attached: 119857-189855 (1).jpg (460x460, 8K)

Your bolt has an exposed hammer?

im a leaf so no suppressor ever ever and 45-70 is stupid expensive ($2+/rd) but what you are describing is essentially my dream rifle
get one and love it forever for those that can't

Attached: 1556881829846.jpg (700x720, 20K)