Hello Jow Forums. I got a toothpick crossbow. It doesn't penetrate well when shooting toothpicks...

Hello Jow Forums. I got a toothpick crossbow. It doesn't penetrate well when shooting toothpicks, so I made some improved ammo from tungsten.

1/3

Attached: tungsten toothpick.jpg (1880x452, 590K)

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/4bgv1
cnn.com/2017/06/23/china/china-toothpick-crossbow/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=MMoL_SBD6gw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

2/3
Here you see the shabby performance against double-plate of cardboard using a wooden toothpick.

Attached: toothpick.webm (1280x720, 1.5M)

And the improved performance with a tungsten projectile.

Any requests for things to shoot with a tungsten needle?

Attached: rod from god.webm (1280x720, 2.97M)

>inb4 yourself

Apple

watermelon

Piece of meat

an ape who eats watermelons and never did nuffi

something wood, wanna see if it sticks inside

I only have limes. One moment.

See if you can ignite a match.

Why a flat point & not a pointy one?

Okay, I shot a perfectly good lime.

I invite you to watch the realtime version before clicking the slowmo webm.
I actually thought it bounced off.
I am more afraid of this thing, now.

streamable.com/4bgv1

Attached: lime slowmo.webm (1280x720, 2.98M)

It's mainly because it's very very troublesome to grind tungsten, which has higher hardness than practically all steels. I'm using aluminum oxide and it's still slow. I plan to grind two more surfaces to make it a needle point, which should greatly improve its already frightening penetration power.

Attached: IMG_20190610_043549.jpg (4032x3024, 3.45M)

Square point should be doable and very suited for "armor piercing" as it were. It's similar to bodkins.

Cute! How accurate this thing is? Can you hit man sized target at 100 ya... Oh, I mean, lime sized target at 5 yards?

It is not at all accurate, probably because of the projectile (no fins, no spin, etc.) It can shoot the tungsten a very long distance though. Somewhere around 100 meters.

Attached: wood.webm (1280x720, 3M)

>I actually thought it bounced off.
So did I.
Oh shit.
Do You have ballistic gel?

I don't actually have any meat right now, but next time I go to the store I'll pick up some chicken breast and see if I can achieve ballistic kebab.

Carry this and aim for the spinal cord or specific nerve clusters, or the eyes.

>Do You have ballistic gel?
No but interesting idea. I have a feeling it would absolutely shred that stuff because ballistic gel has semi non-newtonian properties (it hardens when struck very hard.) This is relatively slow but very heavy projectile, so it would let the gel remain soft as it cut through.

cnn.com/2017/06/23/china/china-toothpick-crossbow/index.html

Looks like the chinks were right...

Do you have thing like this? Let's calculate this bolt's energy.

Attached: 1560161024724.jpg (800x800, 221K)

I'm sure it will bounce in the eyeball.

> mini weapon of destruction
OY MATE DO TOU HAVE LOICENSE FOR THAT TOOTHPICK?

It seems to move about 120 feet-per-second judging from frame times (box is 8.5 inches, video is 240fps.) Mass 3.047 grams per It seems the muzzle energy is about 2.3 pounds/2 joules

>2.3 pounds
foot pounds that is

Compensate with sharp and poisonous projectile.

I like how you can tell in the end of the webm that it's been nailed to the box. Amusing little device. It would probably go straight through all of that if it had a true convex needle point.

That thing is sweet!
I've got a little canon, but gun powder just doesn't cut it. I put a VERY small amount of flash powder in it and it puts .177 BB's through full soda cans.

Attached: 20190610_050831_.jpg (774x581, 98K)

2,6 joules of kinetic energy. Like weak bb gun. Not that bad.

next version should use tungsten carbide

Attached: hardness scale.jpg (827x452, 65K)

nice

Basically a very very small muzzle loaded gun, there.

Exactly.
It's obnoxiously loud, for how small it is.
Honestly, I haven't even fired it in over a year. Completely forgot I had it, until I seen this thread.

Tungsten carbide is less dense than tungsten. 14.85 g/cm3 compared to 19.25 for tungsten (same as gold, and nearly double compared to lead)

You could get it much sharper than tungsten though, because hardness is so high. However, you would have to sharpen it with diamond abrasives.

One interesting idea would be to glue/weld a tungsten carbide tip onto a tungsten shaft. That way you get ideal weight and ideal sharpness. And replaceable tip.

Weight > hardness. You won't penetrate IIIa armor with it anyway, but high mass equal high energy.

sick thread dude
reminds me that i need to finish my mini cannon
god fucking speed

Attached: Mumble-2019-06-09-215258.jpg (480x267, 19K)

>You won't penetrate IIIa armor with it anyway
if you did, it would technically be illegal
lol

this thread pleases the Jow Forumsube

Where did you get this and how did you make the tungsten ammo?

I got it from Sunhill Toy's website, a version with three of the spring-steel bows (for three times as much draw strength,) but I subsequently learned you can buy single-bow ones from Wish for $1 each. If I were to do it again I'd buy three of those, cannibalize two for the bows and add them to the first (the whole thing is easily dissembled/assembled with a screwdriver.)

For the ammo I bought a 12" rod of 0.075" tungsten on Amazon for $5, broke it into toothpick sized lengths by hammering a butter knife into it, then sharpened the tip with aluminum oxide waterstones.

Shoot it through your pee hole.

>ballistic sounding
inadvisable

Bump

>not making bolts from depleted uranium

get a mouse from petco...

I thought you were somehow inferring loneliness before I understood the joke

Attached: 1499007987502.jpg (1280x720, 138K)

Are hamsters really even rats? They are so fluffy and adorable

Chuck it up in a drill and spin it against a running belt sander, shouldn't be too much trouble.

t. TIG welder

cuute

JC?

Attached: Deus-Ex-large-1302.jpg (700x525, 43K)

>when you are tired of the homeowner trying to gas you

why don't people just make bullets from gold? theres so much of it

OP made a good and cute thread today. Enjoy the bump and the (you).

Oh shit nigger California is gonna ban your fucking assault crossbow now.

I second this user preferably some pork belly. If it penetrates the thick skin you got yourself a real weapon.

>is this species an entirely different species?

Oh shit that's actually cool.

This is better than expected.

this is dumb. ive made stronger launchers from a rubberband and chopsticks. your shit is weak because you are using a tiny string. use a nice thick rubber

Nigger, his force is coming from the steel crossbow limbs and not some shitty rubberband. That "tiny string" is a piece of wire that is transferring the force from the deformation from the limbs into tension which propels the projectile. Basically ur a gay nigger and this has far more potential than whatever piece of rubber band shit you made.

Attached: 1465039142768.png (1029x710, 452K)

poaching is illegal though

this thread is good and you should feel good.

Threads like this are the best threads on Jow Forums
Please keep doing what you do op

Honestly, pretty cool

Attached: tenor.gif (220x275, 29K)

bump for great justice

We need a test against soft tissue.

op please shoot a chicken breast or steak

wholesome autism i love it thank you user

this

This tee hee aech, I may buy one and scale it up using cable and spring steel. Not to like full size but just enough to hold it in one hand.

Pleasantly surprised by this thread. Keep up the good work OP, eagerly waiting to see future improvements.

Underrated post

>tfw I tried making a mini canon out of a .303 casing but just ended up setting myself on fire.

Attached: little man.gif (480x270, 247K)

Good thread is good. Congrats.

Attached: dadsarmy.png (1050x918, 697K)

Nice work user

Now we need a tungsten rod for one of these monstrosities.

Attached: ravin-r26-crossbow.jpg (1800x1800, 364K)

This is one of the more unique and cool threads I've seen on Jow Forums in a long time.
Very cool.

There are crossbows with insane draw weight of like 1500lbs+

youtube.com/watch?v=MMoL_SBD6gw

It's be crazy to see what they could do with a tungsten bolt

Wanna trade weld pics?

Tungsten arrowheads would be the best, principles of aerodynamic flight want the center of mass at the front and the center of drag at the back, hence why for an object of uniform density, the teardrop is the optimal shape. It would be best to still use the carbon fiber shaft.

>knife

>he doesn't know about knifium, the undiscovered element

please OP

This is the best think on Jow Forums right now, change my mind

Look up invasive bird species in your area and land a kill on one

I have that same scale

Steel bb? You use wadding? Try a lead bb or pellet that seats flush in the barrel for a good gas seal. Maybe make some guncotton?

>It's mainly because it's very very troublesome to grind tungsten, which has higher hardness than practically all steels
Pure tungsten gives you 31 HRc, which is up in hardened steel territory but considerably softer than any half-decent knife. So if your stuff is harder then what exactly is it? Some alloy, work hardened, or just the usual WC-Co composite?

The long, slim and slow projectile may end up suffering excessive drag from contact between its long sides and the "sticky" gel. The scaling of ballistics gel can gets odd (and thus of little use for comparisons) when we move to sharp edges and slower-than-bullet speeds.

>if you did, it would technically be illegal
lulwut?

Trannies always try to make more trannies.

The meat target

Attached: Paul Thompson Harrell.jpg (779x552, 94K)

Nice thread OP, try shooting some paper. Where’d you get the tungsten?

>31 HRc, which is up in hardened steel
31 HRC is a micro alloyed steel in a heavily tempered martensite microstructure. Technically hardened, but on the extreme low end of hardness. Even micro alloyed steel can get upwards of 53 HRC when quenched. Tool steels go up to about 65 (well over 2000MPa tensile).
>t. metallurgist.

Rats have nicer personalities generally. But they are inbred as fuck and will die of a million cancers in 5 years

What sort of cucked place do you live in?

Tits or gtfo

>ballistic sounding

Attached: 1503169305918.gif (499x310, 1.92M)

>Pure tungsten gives you 31 HRc,

that's elemental tungsten... the real thing that you buy off a store shelf has been forged and annealed and is 65+ hrc