WW2 Canteen thread

Background info:
The M1910 canteen was the standard issue canteen from 1910 to 1963. It was designed to be manufactured with aluminum however when WW2 started they needed aluminum for aircraft so they made the canteens with substitute materials. One of the substitute was corrosion resistant steel (stainless). The design of the M1910 wasn't ideal for manufacture with steel so a new design was used (that is what is pictured). it had two parts that are pressed together and soldered to seal the joint. That solder was lead based.

Now on to new info:
I was at the store and they were clearancing out some lead tests. I bought a few kits for fun and decided to test out the canteens. I confirmed that the solder is lead.
I then tested the water inside the canteen: I left the water in the canteen for 24 hours and shook it every so often to agitate it. After 24 hours i tested the water inside and was unable to detect any lead (to an accuracy of 1 part per million).

Attached: canteen_1qt_crs_375.jpg (270x404, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stewartsmilitaryantiques.com/us-wwi-m1910-mounted-canteen-set-complete-near-new-condition.34903.archive.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah.

Based

Good job. If you tested all the variations of metal used in the M1910 and took pics, it would be worthy of an infograph.

Back in college, our cafeteria coffee was so nasty I had it tested for acidity.... inconclusive results. But that shit was so bad, it felt like drinking from a battery.

seconded, pls make infographic

I have a rare canteen when I get home I will post it for more info

but did it grow legs and walk away?

Better'n weak coffee. Pinch of salt woulda done for her.

Salt? Is this one of these 'joke' things I have heard about?

nope. salt can help cut out bitterness in small quantities. try adding just a pinch to the next pot you make

Attached: 1560405841390.jpg (807x812, 62K)

I hate to say this, but - I concede. I googled a bit and apparently this is actually a thing. A thing I have never heard about before. I'll try it. Thanks for the tip.

no.

>rubber piece in U.S canteen makes the water taste like complete shit

the only way i can tolerate these trendy "IPA" beers is with some salted nuts or porkrinds.

You have to do what is called waterfalling when around fags, that way you're all out of water together

XD

No rubber in the M1910 canteens.

DON'T DRINK FROM WORLD WAR 2, WORLD WAR 1, KOREAN WAR CANTEENS THEY HAVE LEAD IN THE SOLDERING IRON USED TO SOLDER THE PIECES TOGETHER

They’re fine if you get the conversion kit.

Here is the canteen. Any ideas what it is or how much it is worth. it is in pristine condition and has a name on the back. Canteen and cup is dated 1918. The leather band is dated 1934

I guess it would help if I would actually attach the fucking picture hah.

Attached: canteen.png (821x1200, 2.38M)

i need answers.

Something is real weird. Can you post a picture of the backside?

Hah. I never thought I'd say this about an M1910, but you got something rare there - a cavalry canteen.

And just to back that up:

stewartsmilitaryantiques.com/us-wwi-m1910-mounted-canteen-set-complete-near-new-condition.34903.archive.htm

IT DIDNT GROW LEGS AND WALK AWAY

>its safer to drink from a canteen made almost 100 yers ago than to drink tap water in some US states

really makes the neurons pop

Attached: boomer jacoren.png (660x489, 513K)

>not using the clearly superior east german canteen

well shit, the more you know.

Mine is in pristine shape too. The leather is supple and everything.

>Even their fucking canteen starts with "M1"