Serious question: what good is a shotgun now in the Age of ARs and PCCs?

Serious question: what good is a shotgun now in the Age of ARs and PCCs?

Attached: Maverick_88.jpg (1744x344, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/03Msp-eQmJc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Putting many/large projectiles on target.
With a 13+" barrel, 12 gauge buck is as close to a 100% one-shot-stop rate you'll get.
They're also excellent for hunting, birds large and small, rabbits, etc up-to and including large game with slugs.
They're very popular up here for bear defense.

Attached: Dominion Arms Grizzly.jpg (930x430, 20K)

Excellent for game and varmint, can take a broad range of projectiles not available to most other firearms.
But if you're alluding to the shotgun no longer being one of the "must haves" for an essential gun collection, Id agree desu.

>They're very popular up here for bear defense.
Alaska? I thought .30-06, .300 Win Mag and bigger stuff was the norm there

Versatility

Crime.

>lightweight
>inexpensive
>easy to use
>quicker to get into action from cruiser mode than an AR is (at least for me)
>stopping power galore
>can swap out the barrel in 10 seconds and use it for hunting or sporting
>fun
>cheap ammo
>legal in all 50 states

There's no reason not to have a shotgun. I still think its the best home defense weapon for most situations. If you live in a rural area or have a chance of having to make more than a 15 yard shot in your house, use a carbine, otherwise I still think a pump action shotgun with 5 or more in the tube and a side saddle is your best bet for home defense.

Canada.
12 gauge slugs are no joke. Odds are, if you cross paths with a bear, it'll know you're there long before you do and an adult grizzly can out-spring Usain Bolt.

Other than versatility for hunting of basically any time of game in the US, in a suburban or urban environment they are just as effective as a fighting tool. These red circles have a radius of about 40 yards which is about the maximum distance you can reliably expect 12 gauge to hold a pattern. There is no line of sight in a standard suburb or city that is greater than that except straight down a street.

Attached: suburb.png (1328x812, 489K)

out-sprint*
That's what I get for posting this early.
Point is, you're not going to be engaging a bear at 500 yards.
You can also shoot bear bangers and flares, which is practical.

Attached: Bear banger.jpg (500x500, 39K)

They’ll be relevant for as long as people want to blow big holes in things at short distances.

Dominion Arms imports all kinds of cheap shotguns from Turkey, and because there's no magazine capacity limit or barrel length restriction for pump/bolt action guns, 12" barrel pump shotguns are all the rage up here.

The old Chinese 870 clones are really good. Better than what Remshit puts out these days, anyway.

Birds, clays, and door breaching.

In combat against real human enemy? Home defense (indoors). 1 giant hole/10 big holes per trigger pull is more chances to hit CNS or bleeding than anything. But only if you use a magazine fed self-loader like Saiga-12 or whatever, if you can get it. Not a fudd-ass pump gun that you'll short stroke every time under combat stress, and then spend a solid half-minute trying to reload.

What the fuck kind of situation do you expect to shoot one person multiple times with a shotgun?

Pretty good versatility in ammo, sometimes less legal restrictions for shotguns (be it for hunting or to simply own one) and you can get a decent shotty for cheap (I know there are cheap PCCs too).

I forgot 2 huge points: Fun and because I can.

Best chance of a one shot stop of any threat within 30 yards. Other than that, hunting.

1)It's not about hitting, it's about missing. Which you will, a lot, in real combat. I don't care if you won at 3 gun. Doesn't matter. Steel target doesn't move unpredictably and doesn't shoot back.
2)Unless you hit CNS, there is a good chance a human body will survive just about anything, if only for a few seconds. Even heart shots. Even without drugs. Those few seconds is enough to put you in the ground. The only way to prevent that is to hit CNS as quick as you can
The only way to do that is to have quickest and most reliable follow-up shots you can (self-loading action) and most shells possible in a row and ability to replenish shell numbers quickly (magazine)

Multiple attackers? Are disabled?

This but honestly just cause I like shooting my semis more than pumps.

This dude gets it. Semiauto all the way.
Shotguns arent obsolete, pump actions are.

You use a big-bore rifle to HUNT grizzlies.

People whose jobs involve a non-zero chance of needing to defend themselves from attacking grizzlies (hunting/fishing guides, horse packers, foresters, rangers, game wardens etc) almost universally carry pump-action 12ga shotguns loaded with slugs.

suicide

I still wouldn't ever use a shotgun for anything (other than fun). Familiarity, manual of arms is more important than anything. Also, shotguns can't be suppressed (Eeeeeeeeee). And they're useless for combat outside civilian home defense.

...so I'm jusr playing devil's advocate really

Bird hunting, mostly I'd say. Shotguns are easier to train with. Load, point, boom. In a SHTF scenario I'd give my nogunz friends a shotgun before an AR.

>All these motherfuckers saying "yeah it's great for civilian home defense but it's USELESS for COMBAT" like civilian home defense against a single unarmored intruder isn't BY FAR the most likely defensive gun use situation they'll EVER be in.
You're not in fucking Fallujah, dummies.
>Oh wait they used shotguns in Fallujah

Attached: fallujah-shotgun.png (640x653, 556K)

>no matter what I do recoil hurts too much
>if I shoulder it perfectly it still hurts after a few shots

>shotguns can't be suppressed
wrong

>Shotguns arent obsolete, pump actions are.
One of a shotgun's biggest perks is being a jack-of-all-trades gun with a MASSIVE diversity of available loadings.

You lose a lot of that without a manually-cycling action

>short stroking pumps
What about Winchester SXP? Inertia assist slide will auto-eject if you're holding it tight enough
youtu.be/03Msp-eQmJc

I dunno, I really love my suppressed 300 BLK for home defense.

>you'll short stroke every time under combat stress
I've been shooting shotguns for roughly 20 years, and have killed multiple charging animals that were going to kill me with a pump 12ga.

I have literally never short-stroked a shotgun
>Slam it back
>Slam it forward
It's not hard.

>tfw USMC so incompetent they couldn't get them the right shells for breaching.

Attached: the_shit_i_have_to_put_up_with.jpg (840x623, 159K)

>US military spends the better part of a century fighting in theaters where a shotgun's strengths shine and it's a common feature with US military personnel, mostly jungles with a few stints in trenches
"Shotguns are the best close-quarters weapon available to civilians!"
>US military spends 2 decades fighting in theaters where shotguns are niche weapons with limited utility
>"shotguns are SHIT all you need is an AR15!"
>US military invades a country in South America or Asia with thick vegetation again and shotguns become a staple of every fireteam
>"A shotguns is the best close-quarters you can get!"
Mark my words, it will happen.

I think they knew what they were doing
-brutal use of scatterguns in close quarters against robe wearing targets

>shotguns can’t be suppressed
What’s it like being retarded?

Shut the fuck up. Shotgun can't be made hearing safe with any practical buckshot/slug load.

Enjoy your tinnitus.

Maybe you can. People who have been in close combat can, especially LEOs. But 99% of people can't, which is the kind of people who make and listen to advice in these threads.

I don't think so. The reason shotguns were ever used in combat wasn't because of the jungles, but because primary infantry weapons in these time periods (WWII to early Vietnam) were inferior to them in jungle combat. Modern AR15 is not the same thing as XM16, and it is superior to any shotgun.
They only used them because they didn't have Masterkeys yet. And soldiers (breachers) stuck with these shit, terrible (by modern standards) weapons were obviously forced to used them for things other than opening doors. Give me one picture of US soldiers in modern day using shotguns in combat. I'll wait.

Attached: 1544382715507.jpg (2560x1920, 1.29M)

Bitch I've literally had every 5.56 load I've ever shot keyhole if there's any vegetation between me and my target.
Try shooting your guns (>implying you have guns) literally anywhere besides a clear range. 5.56 has some extreme disadvantages if there's anything at all between you and your target.

Cheap, easy to use, less parts than AR, not that complex, less scary to some juries, does different things than an AR, what good is a mallet vs a regular hammer for example both have their own uses

Well half of Jow Forums is active shooters in waiting.

>Especially LEOs
In my experience cops panic quite frequently.
Cops die often here.

Have you tried a different gauge/loads? Or a semi auto?

It can penetrate even light cover like drywall or car doors and still kill people just fine. Just because the round is keyholeing in the last few feet of its flightpath doesn't mean it's not lethal.

Why in the world would anyone bring that into combat, in what looks like Afghanistan of all places? I'd rather kick that mudhut door with my fucking foot all day than have to haul that piece of shit and its ammunition on patrol.

probably didn't have a choice

Bird hunting, if they can handle recoil I can trust someone with limited experience to be able to hit a human sized target within 50 yards with one far better than they could with a rifle

trap/skeet shooting

No stock, fag. This is just some unlucky grunt who got stuck with this because his unit doesn't have enough masterkeys. Nobody's shooting that at anything other than doors.

Cops are dumb as fuck, it really isn't hard to outperform the average pig in shooting and combat.

C O P E
O
P
E

>Hurr durr everything must support my unhealthy larping fantasies

I ALREADY HAVE IT

>Cops are dumb as fuck, it really isn't hard to outperform the average pig in shooting and combat.
lmfao, try it, dumbfuck. Most of the cops in my town are military veterans who've see more real action than a cunt like you will ever see in your life.

youre a 'tard, they carry """non-lethal""" in these and frag obnoxious ragheads

Who cares
Have fun

Cringe and bootlick pilled. Cops on average get shit fucking training and put almost no rounds in annually.
>military veterans
So unstable retards who can't write? Even worse.

WHAT?

Nah, 12 gauge and .44 mag is more norm.

Seriously user? In close quarter in a building it's very legit.

Because a shotgun has a smooth bore, it can fire shot, instead of bullets.

Shot that is good for doves and quail
Shot that is good for grouse and pheasant
Shot that is good for hares and rabbits
Shot that is good for ducks
Shot that is good for geese
Shot that is good for deer and people

And slugs.

So basically user, it's a gun that's pretty good at everything, and that's why they're good.

Semi's are so expensive. I don't know if I should just settle for a cheap pump, it'd be fun getting an older trench type gun and a bayonet. Or if I should just get a double barrel instead for fudd type stuff.
It's effective range is about the same as a pistol, actually quite a bit better in most configurations. Falling right into where the FBI says typical self defense ranges happen. I find it really unbelievable anybody can shoot a pistol that far or better further than a shotgun with a stock on it. The shotty likely has better ammo in it too that's more effective than a pistol round typically.

Seems like the only pros and cons for of shotguns discussed are for self defense
1. ammo is too powerful
2. ammo isn't as long range as a rifle even though you don't fucking need rifle range
I really wish I could find more shotgun articles in magazines, or anything really, because it's always a revolving door of self defense discussions that talk about how it's better than a pistol in every way except if you're trying to conceal it, but that's a problem because I want to mag dump 9mm

I've broken three shotguns.

The bottom line is auto shotguns are a fucking meme and you're retarded.

Short stroking isn't a thing I've ever seen anyone do. Ever.

Nah. Lol

>birds
>diverse loadings including but not limited to slugs, various shot sizes, DB, flechettes, sabots, etc
>sexy aesthetic
>sport shooting
>home defense or other scenarios in which overpenetration becomes a concern
>ammo availability
>break-actions often have barrel inserts to use pistol and rifle rounds
>much easier to be had used at a reasonable price
>manufactured all over the world so it's easy to support your local gun industry, especially if you're not American
>easily available even in freedom-impaired nations
>legal clear across the US, no worries about traveling to a ban state, or through one on your way elsewhere

That chick looks like she filled the sink with foundation and just dipped her whole fucking head into it. Less is more people.

They are literally the most versatile gun you can own bar none. If you could only own 1 gun the shot gun covers every base there is.

Honestly there were a few time in Baghdad were I would have much rather had a shotgun. Mostly when clearing their shitty, tight, dark homes. Body armor wasn't really a thing for most insurgents at the time.

>breaching
>better less lethal
>buck shot
>no and cheap as fuck rifling which makes it great for wetwork

What?

The problem with auto-loaders is with the ammunition. Shotgun ammunition varies so much from load to load. It's hard to get consistent results with inconsistent ammunition. An auto-loading shotgun would be viable if you only used a specific load and had no need to change between different loads. Eh, I like my pumps. I'm not an "operator" and don't need to be.

The obvious answer is bird hunting, but you can take pretty much any game in North America with a 12ga slug. With #4 buck they make excellent home defense weapons in areas where overpenetration is a concern, they’re legal in all states, and if you’re like me and circumstances have you living in Los Angeles for the next 18 months, a jury here is far less likely to bend you over if you defend yourself with grandpas classic pump action rather a spooky salt rifle.
Add to the fact that they’re affordable as hell and they suddenly become the Everyman gun. Would I want to take one into combat against a group of people armed with battle rifles? Of course not. But I WILL trust it when some jackass looking for his next heroine score kicks in my back door.

Birbs

The fragility of them is what really gets me. From my couple hundred dollar TriStar to my buddies versamax.

I've just seen too many fail.

Not bad against targets wearing body armor. Not that it's going through the armor, but unless you are at very close range a few of the buckshot are gonna slip outside the armor plate area into neck, shoulder, gut, head, etc..

Guns don't turn to dust or cease to function because another gun is "better" than it user. Ignoring the easy answer of hunting, shotguns are cheap, effective guns for a wide range of purposes. They're also fun. Guns are tools, a drill is not "better" than a wrench.

This. Semi-auto shotguns tend to have reliability issues with a lot of different loads. The only clear reason to own a semi-auto over a pump is if you're into 3gun.

If you have family/friends that are noguns and would freak at the sight of an AR, a wooden stocked shotgun (or Mini-14) looks like a fudd gun to those unfamiliar with firearms.

Attached: 500-RETRO_Persuader.jpg (2048x503, 71K)

thats the 8.5" model though,and i don't think they can even get those in the states seeing as they're chinese production,i have the 12.5" model.

it is Known

Attached: how-do-you-manage-pain-exe-cise-yoga-tylenol-ibuprofen-alcohol-accupuncture-massage-37692706.png (500x566, 157K)

already got it from being a /mu/ fag

>fun to shoot
>makes big boom
>pumping it is fun

An AR pistol with a brace is better though

5.56 destroys things, nigga

5.56 out of a short barrel versus 9 pellets of 00 buck. It's no contest. An AR-SBR is a great home defense weapon but, shot for shot, a shotgun is much more effective.

Pure fucking devastation

Attached: 1524423945256.jpg (271x288, 23K)

A pump shotgun will take anything that fits in the chamber and put it out the barrel. There's a boutique round for anything you could possibly imagine. Ammo is everywhere (even though it's big and heavy) and while a slug may not punch a vest, it'll sure as hell put whatever it hits on the floor so long as it has a heartbeat.

No shotgun thread so need advice. Is FN TPS good?

have you ever been hit with a paintball on bare skin? now imagine being hit with 10 in a fist sized group at the same time moving 4x faster that weigh 10x as much. not only that but theyre hitting your organs as well.

What if the intruder is on top of your wife or kids? A SBR’s loudness (if not suppressed) will make the incident more traumatic for the kids but is the better option by some distance.

12ga pump, alternating 00BK with slugs. Inside the home, devastating defensive loadout. The Magpul fore grip is a worthwhile upgrade.

Pic related

Attached: 58D5515B-03CE-40E0-975A-837357D23655.jpg (2011x618, 185K)

Pcc's are gay

Especially for Mossbergs where the stock polymer furniture both looks and feels cheap and ugly.

that maverick 88 right their is just fine